Become a Patron!

How to properly educate people on battery safety?

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Seems more and more pictures are popping up of ecigs exploding. Saw some on Facebook today that this one exploded as he was using it, bad deal. I think he'll heal, but it looked like bad burns on his lips and his tongue. Picture was of a mechanical mod, obviously. Was going to post a long winded reply but I'm treading lightly as I want to try to be understanding and not sound so preachy, but it just seems to ME that these shops selling mechs aren't educating people at all, but even if that were happening there's always fast tech or whoever that we know sends no documentation or any type of warnings. Me personally i only vape regulated mods, and I only have 1 (vamo) with a low amp requirement that takes 18650 batteries. What I think is happening is people are buying cheap ultra fire or whatever flashlight batteries and putting them in mechs. Seems we beat this topic to death, and I'm sorry to bring the topic up AGAIN. But what is one way we can respond to these types of things without just being an asshole and telling them to buy better fucking batteries and get a damn ohm meter and if it ain't a hybrid tank /dripper don't use it on a hybrid connection. Will see how this Facebook post goes and how many people scream that we're all holding nuclear reactors before I comment on it. I'm treading very lightly because I believe vaping is awesome, and done properly and safely is very safe. Just wish there was some way to make it MANDATORY to include some type of instructions with mechs to detail proper battery amp limits, whatever. But then you run in to the false claims battery companies make, which I know from personal experience how exaggerated the specs are, haven't had one vent but damn if that "40amp" battery at 4 volts didn't heat that vamo up. Sorry for the ramblings and rant, long shift, and kinda frustrated at the bad name vaping gets from people doing unsafe things.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems more and more pictures are popping up of ecigs exploding. Saw some on Facebook today that this one exploded as he was using it, bad deal. I think he'll heal, but it looked like bad burns on his lips and his tongue. Picture was of a mechanical mod, obviously. Was going to post a long winded reply but I'm treading lightly as I want to try to be understanding and not sound so preachy, but it just seems to ME that these shops selling mechs aren't educating people at all, but even if that were happening there's always fast tech or whoever that we know sends no documentation or any type of warnings. Me personally i only vape regulated mods, and I only have 1 (vamo) with a low amp requirement that takes 18650 batteries. What I think is happening is people are buying cheap ultra fire or whatever flashlight batteries and putting them in mechs. Seems we beat this topic to death, and I'm sorry to bring the topic up AGAIN. But what is one way we can respond to these types of things without just being an asshole and telling them to buy better fucking batteries and get a damn ohm meter and if it ain't a hybrid tank /dripper don't use it on a hybrid connection. Will see how this Facebook post goes and how many people scream that we're all holding nuclear reactors before I comment on it. I'm treading very lightly because I believe vaping is awesome, and done properly and safely is very safe. Just wish there was some way to make it MANDATORY to include some type of instructions with mechs to detail proper battery amp limits, whatever. But then you run in to the false claims battery companies make, which I know from personal experience how exaggerated the specs are, haven't had one vent but damn if that "40amp" battery at 4 volts didn't heat that vamo up. Sorry for the ramblings and rant, long shift, and kinda frustrated at the bad name vaping gets from people doing unsafe things.
I don't think it's the shops responsibility..
I mean a car dealership will sell you a car even if you don't know how to drive it..
Shops are out to make money and once the customer walks out with his new mod it's on him to learn how to operate it safely...just my opinion...

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
and sadly, to add to it, when you look around at batteries (such as on Amazon) you see reviews for ultrafire, trustfire, etc saying how great they work in their ecig mods. Things like that just add to the confusion for the newb.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you're talking about the Facebook post I think you are, it wasn't caused by an ecig or a mech mod. Nothing ecig related.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It may be the same post, not sure. Just frustrated today is all. Just my typical ramblings.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey I totally get frustration. Hope you get to feeling better about it, too. :)

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks. Unfortunately If it is the same post the version I saw said ecig blew up with a generic pic of a mech mod along with the person's injuries. I'm really gonna be irritated if they're faking these things just to make us look bad. Wouldn't surprise me, just totally not cool. But the internet also claims that al gore was it's inventor and there are a million videos of unicorns, and those things really happened too ya know.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Burnt tongue, roof of mouth, lip swelled up... Short light hair? If that's the one, then yes. It was determined to be a suicide attempt but the gun had a blank in it. Very sad, really.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Burnt tongue, roof of mouth, lip swelled up... Short light hair? If that's the one, then yes. It was determined to be a suicide attempt but the gun had a blank in it. Very sad, really.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that was it, that's pathetic they tried to blame that on an ecig. Sad story all the same. Just goes to show the lengths some will go to make us look evil. You all are awesome for letting us "vent" here and not get deleted or banned, u know what I'm talking about. Thanks guys.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can be some kind of course vape shops and forums can produce and certify users to purchase these advanced equipment.
Seems far fetched but i know breeders that will verify if one has wildlife liscense to purchase certain large bodied boids and monitor lizards. To purchase a caucasian mountain sheppard the few big time breeders will have potential buyers fill out a questionaire and determine if they are fit ti own one. Even some beauty supplies like real pure acetone can only be purchased at reputable salon supply stores if they are certified beauticians.
If people stop thinking with dollar signs we can self govern the hobby without the aid of government douxhebags.
Would probably never happen but itd be nice.

VU Sponsors