Become a Patron!

How to learn Coil wrapping/Diameters and so

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys. Im wondering how do you guys wrap coils? I just cant seem to understand this steam engine calculator. Im planning on buying the tfv12 rba-T deck. Kind of fallen in love with the deck, it looks so easy to wick it. Reason is i had alot of unluck with my dual velocity rba. Pre wrapped coils didnt measure correctly, leaking issues and spitbacks and such..

Does anyone know if this deck is serial deck? I want my wire to be 0.15 ohm also 316L Stainless, but how do i find out diameters of the coil and such? I usually buy my stuff from fasttech.

Of course i do know what happens if i do more wraps and such, no problem with that. I just help finding out what to measure.

I just want to learn what diameters i should look for, also would 24awg do the trick?
Would also appriciate if someone could link me screwdrivers for the screws. I had 3 different ones and all of them dont work anymore.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you not understand about steam engine? It's pretty straightforward

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok its simple
the more wire you use the higher your ohms
larger diameters mean more wire
more wraps mean more wire

then with gauges...the lower the number gauge the more ohms so 24 gauge wire has a higher ohm reading then the same amount of wire at 40 gauge
why cause 24 gauge is thicker and therefor more wire

most people will use either 2.5,3,3.5 or 4 mm inner diameters just depends on the build and the deck size

i can never remember parrallel or serial
MOST like 99% of decks
you install 2 coils the resistance is half of 1 coil
so if you want a dual coil to be .15 then you need to build two identical .3 ohm coils

I dont have a tfv12 so i have no idea how many wraps and diameter it can hold

for 316l you would want 2 coils
each with a diameter of 3mm and 4 wraps to get to .15
or
about 5 wraps at 2.5mm

or
look here
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316l&s=dp&r=0.15&awg=26&id=3

it tells you the number of wraps
you change the diameter or the gauge and you get different results but you can set your target resistance to find out
the link is prefilled for you
and you can adjust 1 thing at a time

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ok its simple

then with gauges...the lower the number gauge the more ohms so 24 gauge wire has a higher ohm reading then the same amount of wire at 40 gauge

most people will use either 2.5,3,3.5 or 4 mm inner diameters just depends on the build and the deck size

i can never remember parrallel or serial
MOST like 99% of decks
you install 2 coils the resistance is half of 1 coil
so if you want a dual coil to be .15 then you need to build two identical .3 ohm coils

I dont have a tfv12 so i have no idea how many wraps and diameter it can hold

for 316l you would want 2 coils
each with a diameter of 3mm and 4 wraps to get to .15
or
about 5 wraps at 2.5mm

or
look here
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316l&s=dp&r=0.15&awg=26&id=3

it tells you the number of wraps
you change the diameter or the gauge and you get different results but you can set your target resistance to find out
the link is prefilled for you
and you can adjust 1 thing at a time

Many thanks. I did 0.30ohm - 0.15 on my dual. But i was thinking to coil wrap on the tfv12 triple deck. Dual deck was not enough for me :D Your comment explained alot. Now i just wonder if those triple decks are serial or not :) I was thinking, 24awg might be a little crap. I was hoping more wraps for more heat! What about this wire?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10017613/4625508-authentic-mkws-kanthal-a1-tiger-resistance-wire

ive heard that tigers are good wires

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many thanks. I did 0.30ohm - 0.15 on my dual. But i was thinking to coil wrap on the tfv12 triple deck. Dual deck was not enough for me :D Your comment explained alot. Now i just wonder if those triple decks are serial or not :)
No they're not, serial decks have a neutral post. The only devices that I am aware of that have a series deck are

RDA'S
Uwell Rafael X
Wismec Neutron
Modfather RDA

Tanks
Modfather RTA has a series deck optional

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many thanks. I did 0.30ohm - 0.15 on my dual. But i was thinking to coil wrap on the tfv12 triple deck. Dual deck was not enough for me :D Your comment explained alot. Now i just wonder if those triple decks are serial or not :) I was thinking, 24awg might be a little crap. I was hoping more wraps for more heat! What about this wire?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10017613/4625508-authentic-mkws-kanthal-a1-tiger-resistance-wire

ive heard that tigers are good wires
Depends on your taste buds. but I would never buy wire from FT.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quality wire is cheap, only wire I will buy is

Kidney Puncher
Atomizer Wick
Pure Atomist
Temco

I won't mess with cheap ass filthy Chinese wire.

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can get Temco wire on Amazon, it's quality stuff. I think it was free shipping there, and came fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can get Temco wire on Amazon, it's quality stuff. I think it was free shipping there, and came fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad thing is. Amazon doesnt ship to europe. Hard choice! Is it possible to get good wires at ebay ?

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bad thing is. Amazon doesnt ship to europe. Hard choice! Is it possible to get good wires at ebay ?

You can find it if you do a search on eBay if you do a search with the terms "temco" and "wire" (you can also narrow the search search down by adding in the name of your word of choice kanthal/SS316L, et cetera), or the seller name is temco_industrial. Don't know for sure if they ship to Europe, but hopefully.

And their website is www.temcoimdustrialpower.com If I remember correctly, the wait is a bit long/shipping more expensive, but you can email them and ask if it would be cheaper/fastrer if it's just a "small" amount of wire (I'm guessing that's mostly for the huge amounts of product some companies need). (Just a side note, they have about 110,000 reviews, and 100% feedback. Not important to the discussion, but really freaking impressive).

You can also do similar eBay search for the other recommended companies, I can't remember right now who's on there.

I've also heard good things about www.kidneypuncher.com.

I have no idea if it would work, but both of those companies have genuine Sandvik Kanthal, that was smelted in Sweden and made in the U.S. Perhaps there's a trusted company out there that does similar?

I just had to do this, too. It's a pain, but good, safe wire is worth it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're in Europe, try Crazy Wire. I haven't used their Kanthal but I've bought a lot of their 317L SS and it's good quality.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try wiresandstuff.co.uk
Same Company as Crazy Wire, their 317L SS is excellent and I've bought a lot of it. I couldn't find 317L here in the US so I ordered from them a few large orders. The SS is very good quality, clean and I've had excellent luck with their customer support. I can't vouch for their Kanthal or other wire but from my experience with them I recommend them.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Same Company as Crazy Wire, their 317L SS is excellent and I've bought a lot of it. I couldn't find 317L here in the US so I ordered from them a few large orders. The SS is very good quality, clean and I've had excellent luck with their customer support. I can't vouch for their Kanthal or other wire but from my experience with them I recommend them.
Yessir, same company. I knew of Crazy Wire, so I googled it and came up with the site name. I've got a bit of their 430, and it's nice and clean, also.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep Another vote here for Crazy wire co , very nice SS wire ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok its simple

You have it a little backwards. More amount of wire doesn't mean more resistance.
When wire length increases so does the resistance.
BUT when diameter increases the resistance drops, despite the fact that the wire mass increases.
Soll lower gauge has lower ohms and not higher and a 24g wire has a lot less ressistance than the same amount of a 40g wire.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try zivipf.com, they're Germany based if that helps
Crazywires/wiresandstuff (same company) are from UK

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
zivipf is who I'd recommend. All sorts of material and gauges to choose from.
I have had some questionable wire from Crazy Wire. SS430 that did not perform in TC with the proper TCR. Their NiFe52 was ok. Others here had the same results with their SS430. Might have fix the problem now, it's been a few months back.

Never had any issue with zivipf.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
zivipf is who I'd recommend. All sorts of material and gauges to choose from.
I have had some questionable wire from Crazy Wire. SS430 that did not perform in TC with the proper TCR. Their NiFe52 was ok. Others here had the same results with their SS430. Might have fix the problem now, it's been a few months back.

Never had any issue with zivipf.
Yep, we share the very same experience... never had a problem with zivipf over the past 4+ years, whereas CW/WaS did make a couple 'mistakes'

VU Sponsors