Become a Patron!

how-to:disable adblock for a specific site

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
while its highly advisable to use a browser extension/add-on like adblock, it also prevents you from supporting sites you love by blocking their sponsors ads. if you want to disable it for a specific site (like this one), you can do that by just clicking on the (stop sign looking) icon in your browser toolbar when you are on the site you want to support and choosing 'dont run on pages in this domain'. you have to choose the 'domain' option and not just 'this page', so that its disabled on all the different pages within the site/forums/etc. i also recommend doing this on www.steam-engine.org if you use it at all (and any other sites you love). also, if you do any online shopping at the sponsor sites, click thru to it from an ad here instead of googling it or bookmarking it.

if you arent specifically using adblock, the process should be almost the same in any similar ad blocking add-on. just make sure you are not completely shutting it off (for all pages), or just disabling it for the specific page you are currently looking at.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was expecting there to be a link to some shitty site. Like "Hey this is how you turn off Ad Block Plus, oh and after you do that, come check out my site!"

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah its common knowledge. i posted it for two reasons. first is that i see a lot of people here say things like 'this is my first forum' or otherwise imply they are not computer geniuses or internet regulars. maybe they dont even have adblock, this will hopefully get them started. the other reason is that computer geniuses tend to install and forget adblock is running. i usually have it installed before anything else on a freshly installed operating system, and i never think about it again unless it stops blocking ads. either way, its a quick reminder for people who can put up with some ads on sites they would like to show some support to.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My general rule is that if a site has ads that oscillate colors, have a lot of motion in them, or pop up to fill part of the screen when your mouse pointer gets near them, I will block them regardless. On certain sites, yea I will allow tasteful ads. Not the garbage that infects 99% of the internet sites.

VU Sponsors