Become a Patron!

How often do you rewick?

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
i find myself having to atleast 1 a day. I use either cottonbacon prime or kendo gold, thinking about giving those koh-gen-do pads a try. Even when I’m using clear liquid it get brownish so fast. Given I mostly have been using custard and dessert flavors I feel like I shouldn’t have to that often, it’s not like I drip 50 times a day. Maybe 10-15 at most.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Honest answer is when ever i need to. I can say it is not once a day, more like once a week or two. I have had juices after 3 days I had to then I have run weeks on same set up.

Spambunny

Member For 1 Year
That sounds like its browing super fast can you get a photo of one days worth of browning? Also what wattage are you vaping maybe its burning the juice a bit causing premature browning.... somtimes when i used to use variable wattage devices if wattage was a bit high it would brown very fast but it tasted nice as if the juice was almost caramalizing. Now i vape on a mech i dont get the caramelized taste or the premature browning.

I am aware i typed browning far too many times in that post.... browning
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Spambunny

Member For 1 Year
I never give a damn what the wick COLOR is, just "does it taste right/ok?" - if that question fails, rewick after a dryburn, brush and rinse.

Generally, this takes 3 days to a week/wick. Anywhere from 2x to 4x that time per coil.
Same

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That sounds like its browing super fast can you get a photo of one days worth of browning? Also what wattage are you vaping maybe its burning the juice a bit causing premature browning.... somtimes when i used to use variable wattage devices if wattage was a bit high it would brown very fast but it tasted nice as if the juice was almost caramalizing. Now i vape on a mech i dont get the caramelized taste or the premature browning.
I havent thought of it but since I started squonking, no regulated squonks it does seem like I don't see as much browning.
No I am not going to try and say browning more than you in my post. :giggle:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you vaping vendor juices or DIY? I ask because sweeteners can gunk coils and wicks very quickly and most vendors use it pretty liberally. I vape my own mixes 99% of the time and usually clean and rewick every 7 to 10 days or so.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i find myself having to atleast 1 a day. I use either cottonbacon prime or kendo gold, thinking about giving those koh-gen-do pads a try. Even when I’m using clear liquid it get brownish so fast. Given I mostly have been using custard and dessert flavors I feel like I shouldn’t have to that often, it’s not like I drip 50 times a day. Maybe 10-15 at most.

My cotton has turned brown that fast only when I did not have enough airflow for really big coils. They got too hot, and browned the cotton. I'd guess that's the issue

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rewick when my coils are so gunky you can't count wraps.. this can take from 4 hours to 2 weeks depending on how much natural ingredients I used. By natural ingredients I really mean things like Tobacco NETS and other extracted flavoring and sugars..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Are you vaping vendor juices or DIY? I ask because sweeteners can gunk coils and wicks very quickly and most vendors use it pretty liberally. I vape my own mixes 99% of the time and usually clean and rewick every 7 to 10 days or so.
Vendor juices.

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
My cotton has turned brown that fast only when I did not have enough airflow for really big coils. They got too hot, and browned the cotton. I'd guess that's the issue
I usually have the airflow open almost as much as the rda can be..

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Yea I feel like it is way too soon and that it’s caramelizing like you said. Here’s a picture of it now and I just changed it maybe 2 hours ago..C288E911-9365-46DA-ADFE-EE1B49265EE7.jpeg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I usually have the airflow open almost as much as the rda can be..

Which RDA? Not every RDA can handle big coils

I see 7 wraps there for each coil, what gauge are the cores? They look like they need a lot of heat - too much heat can also happen if it takes a second or two to start making vapor, then more time to cool back down - times when airflow doesnt matter at all if no air is moving

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The coils I’m using right now are quad core claptons 30/40 size, 7 wraps and 3.0 in diameter on a drop rda.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you vaping dark juice? Cotton still l[ks fine well on my phone it does. If i zoom i still see white up by the coil. I think it might be the juice. Maybe not wicking fast enough?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Which RDA? Not every RDA can handle big coils

I see 7 wraps there for each coil, what gauge are the cores? They look like they need a lot of heat - too much heat can also happen if it takes a second or two to start making vapor, then more time to cool back down - times when airflow doesnt matter at all if no air is moving
3.0 on a drop rda yea it does take about 90watts to fire Only thing is this also happened when I was using triple core fused claps, 28/36, 3.0 gauge and 5 wraps Thant only took 55 watts to fire nicely. Now that I think about even when I wrapped my own coils this caramelizing happened, I always assumed it was normal.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3.0 on a drop rda yea it does take about 90watts to fire Only thing is this also happened when I was using triple core fused claps, 28/36, 3.0 gauge and 5 wraps Thant only took 55 watts to fire nicely. Now that I think about even when I wrapped my own coils this caramelizing happened, I always assumed it was normal.

I guess it's a mix of: the heat those coils will hold after you stop firing, and sweetener in vendor juices

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Are you vaping dark juice? Cotton still l[ks fine well on my phone it does. If i zoom i still see white up by the coil. I think it might be the juice. Maybe not wicking fast enough?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
No it’s actually fairly clear, definitely not as dark as the wick is.

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I guess it's a mix of: the heat those coils will hold after you stop firing, and sweetener in vendor juices
Could be, not sure. I do notice once it starts looking like this the flavor of all my liquids starts to have the same sweet flavor note to them not sure exactly how to explain it. But here’s my wick after ONLY 4 hours of use. I really don’t know but feel like I’m having to wick way too much compared to the majority of people.31B864F1-E384-45F3-9EDA-12B738F56F70.jpeg

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Could it possibly be that I’m using SS316L.. I’ve heard that it tends to heat hotter than kanthal etc.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Could be, not sure. I do notice once it starts looking like this the flavor of all my liquids starts to have the same sweet flavor note to them not sure exactly how to explain it. But here’s my wick after ONLY 4 hours of use. I really don’t know but feel like I’m having to wick way too much compared to the majority of people.View attachment 116254

You are, I'd say

Could it possibly be that I’m using SS316L.. I’ve heard that it tends to heat hotter than kanthal etc.

No, I don't think so. 4x30 SS? Nahh...are you preheating them before wicking carefully, though? Not overheating them until they turn grey?

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I preheat at about 18 watts but usually takes firing them 3-4 seconds about 4-5times until I can see they are heating evenly. Then I make adjustments, SS takes some working with for them to heat evenly.

VU Sponsors