Become a Patron!

How often do you change your cotton?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not overdoing it. If my liquid gunks my coils fast, 5mL might be about time to change. I change by looks, if my coil needs to be cleaned, I change cotton. Kinda a personal preference as to when a coil needs cleaned, some people wait till coils are black, some change cotton more, doesn't matter much, do what you like :)

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree it depends on the juice and many other factors. I just got a new juice and went 60ml before I changed the cotton. Some I can get 7ml before I change it. When the cotton looks dirty or coil is gunked up I change it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on may factors but I tend to squonk at about 35 watts with sweet custard and change wicks every 5-7 days which equates to around 60 ml or so of juice.

Using cotton bacon V2 right now but had been using Salon Coil cotton from Sally beauty supply before and it lasted about the same. Just had more break in time.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just like @The Cromwell said, it varies greatly. I find it being a combination of type of juice (vg, sugar, flavoring, volume, etc.), how hot (power), type coil to state a few. I use Koh gen Do as my main wicking material and my coils will gunk up way before the cotton even starts to break down. For me my norm is around 0.16Ω and that works out to on average of 3-4 days. But then again on my Tootie Puffers (around 08Ω) average about two weeks.

Then to add about wicking material, I stick with Koh gen Do. I've tried everything from Rayon (can't stand it), hemp fiber, Cotton Bacon to Supima Cotton and Koh gen Do works best for me. Just remember it's not a religion, just try what you want and make your own choice which works for you.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If it starts to look or taste funky, change it. I've got one very sweet juice where I replace the cotton when I fill the squonk bottle, so about 6-7 ml. Then I have another one, just ice/menthol, which I've been vaping for more than a week and still tastes the same. I've found in my short experience that sweetener is a pretty serious offender in terms of gunking up stuff.
Edit to add: See the positive side. DIY coils and wicks cost almost nothing compared to stock coils.

iamlookingforthebathroom

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don’t change the coils very often because I don’t see the point and it’s a bit tedious on my current atty. Don’t know what koh gen do is and I never tried rayon but cotton as lucifah said is cheap enough to be discarded without pains. I find that it changes taste as soon as the cotton becomes a bit colored and I hate it. I used to keep them for days with drippers before I discovered that in a tank atty, a dirty coil also darkens the liquid and makes it look disgusting.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t change the coils very often because I don’t see the point and it’s a bit tedious on my current atty. Don’t know what koh gen do is and I never tried rayon but cotton as lucifah said is cheap enough to be discarded without pains. I find that it changes taste as soon as the cotton becomes a bit colored and I hate it. I used to keep them for days with drippers before I discovered that in a tank atty, a dirty coil also darkens the liquid and makes it look disgusting.
Koh gen Do is Organic cotton pads, I get a bag of 80 very large pads for around $11-$12 off Amazon

amazon.com/Koh-Gen-Do-Organic-Cotton/dp/B00NU3H3KE

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I tend to like the taste of juice that straight destroys my coils I'm talking gunk fuck party.

My friend will not buy anything lightly colored and only "likes the dark Carmel vanilla" look. I don't care what color it is so long as the first pull from New cotton is like wooooosh there it is.

I love custards. I did not like strawberry kustard but the og is woon dah vah

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Koh gen Do is Organic cotton pads, I get a bag of 80 very large pads for around $11-$12 off Amazon

amazon.com/Koh-Gen-Do-Organic-Cotton/dp/B00NU3H3KE
They last a long time, and there's so many different ways to wick with the pads. I liked cotton bacon and still do, but all in all you get way more for the money and I like being about to cut slivers, I don't really Scottish roll unless I'm using round wire and that's never anymore.

I say I'm +1 for organic Jap, or kogendo

iamlookingforthebathroom

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ll take a look at that koh gen do. I don’t think that color can be related to taste intensity tho. I’ve had better taste from some transparent eliquids that from others that were highly colored. It might be that for some flavors, dark color is an unavoidable side effect. In my country the Youde jap cotton is the most accessible and I tend to stick to what’s easily available out of laziness .

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I’ll take a look at that koh gen do. I don’t think that color can be related to taste intensity tho. I’ve had better taste from some transparent eliquids that from others that were highly colored. It might be that for some flavors, dark color is an unavoidable side effect. In my country the Youde jap cotton is the most accessible and I tend to stick to what’s easily available out of laziness .

About color, I think they were meaning when the Cotton gets darker in color, not the liquid...

I've found that there are a lot of rules or suggestions by reviewers that don't matter to me, for example removing the thin, compressed layer that separates the cotton square pads (ko gen do, or your Youde Japanese Cotton, probably etc). I've been using just that part to wick with from time to time, just to show 'em I'm the boss.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Since I started diy I change wicks when the coil tastes too sweet, wicks are usually still good but coil need a burn. Maybe every week and a half to two weeks. When I used commercial juice, several times a week. Can't tell you mls, too many rtas going to guess.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's about taste. I was once vaping a juice that turned my wicks brown/black after the first day but it vaped good or ok and I didn't want to change the wick daily so I pushed it until I didn't like the vape any more. Currently I vape about 30ml a day so if I changed the wick every 7ml I'd be doing that 4 times a day....yeah, no.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I change my cotton on average once a week or around 60ml, if I am using only one rda, but usually the cotton isn’t the problem. Usually my cotton looks fairly good, but coils are black and need the gunk burned off. Mechs seem to hit harder for me with clean coils, and definitely taste better.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
In conclusion I think I'll change them daily. I thank you all for an enjoyable conversation :)
Your welcome,

Thank you for starting an enjoyable Conversation. I believe that certain questions should be asked multiple times because minds change,and techniques broaden. Also, fads they come in and go out.

Scottish roll for example every one was doing that it seemed like, then people realize that yes, it is a method but only one of many ways to skin a dolphin.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh Scottish roll method.
Just a way of making cotton pad more like cotton Bacon or salon coil cotton.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Does anyone else like to use one eliquid pretty cotton change, I've been trying to do that but it's hard.

iamlookingforthebathroom

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's about taste. I was once vaping a juice that turned my wicks brown/black after the first day but it vaped good or ok and I didn't want to change the wick daily so I pushed it until I didn't like the vape any more. Currently I vape about 30ml a day so if I changed the wick every 7ml I'd be doing that 4 times a day....yeah, no.
Wow thats a lot of juice. I sometimes vape over 10 mls and my heart won’t stop pounding. I vape 4mg of nic but I still need an aspirine

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But not only easier to handle but much, much cheaper ;)
That and IMO performs better
Pads may be cheaper than cotton bacon but not Salon coil cotton.
And at $4 for maybe 3 months of cotton with Cotton Bacon even a tightwad ike myself has no issues using it.
Been using it for a month or so and am on my 4th stick out of 10 sticks in a $4 bag....

I tried the KGD pads long ago. found I like <$4 for 45 ft Salon Coil Cotton better.
Gave the wife the KGD and she used it for it's intended use as facial pads.
then Lucy got the Cotton Bacon Monkey on my back a month or so ago. So looks like Cotton bacon will cost me ~$12 per year.
VS $4 for over 2 years with the Salon Coil cotton.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pads may be cheaper than cotton bacon but not Salon coil cotton.
And at $4 for maybe 3 months of cotton with Cotton Bacon even a tightwad ike myself has no issues using it.
Been using it for a month or so and am on my 4th stick out of 10 sticks in a $4 bag....

I tried the KGD pads long ago. found I like <$4 for 45 ft Salon Coil Cotton better.
Gave the wife the KGD and she used it for it's intended use as facial pads.
then Lucy got the Cotton Bacon Monkey on my back a month or so ago. So looks like Cotton bacon will cost me ~$12 per year.
VS $4 for over 2 years with the Salon Coil cotton.
I used Sterilized Dental Cotton for a while, wasn't bad and it looks like the Salon Cotton is similar in composition. I just prefer organic over the processed cotton.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
grunch (didn't read any replies): I go 100 - 150 ml per re-wick using rayon and DIY juice with minimal/no added stevia for sweetener. i dry burn my coils 3 or 4 times before re-wiring so a build can last me many, many months when I keep 6 - 10 setups in rotation.

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I think you are getting 10 packages for 4.05
Ebay is 1 package for .99

I was reading through the FT forum thread on the deal and it seemed to be a single package containing 10 cotton sticks for $4.05. If it’s 10 packages for $4.05, that is indeed the deal to beat.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, Fasttech is 1 10gram packages with 10 shots, where as eBay is the same package/amount but for 0.99
If the Ebay is accurate then it is a heck of a deal. But i suspect it is the 2 stick pack which costs a few cents more on FT.

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
2 sticks vs 10 in a pack.
I got 20 unopened 0.35 oz packs, each containing 10 sticks, for less than $20 shipped. The eBay sellers price is $.99 for an unopened 0.35oz pack containing 10 sticks, compared to the FT price of $4.05 for the same single 0.35oz pack containing 10 sticks.

As I said, I’ve actually received an order from this seller and can verify that the 99 cent shipped price is for an unopened standard 0.35 oz pack of CB2.

Just clarifying! :D

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The bargain hunter in me simply could not resist giving this a shot

I got 20 unopened 0.35 oz packs, each containing 10 sticks, for less than $20 shipped. The eBay sellers price is $.99 for an unopened 0.35oz pack containing 10 sticks, compared to the FT price of $4.05 for the same single 0.35oz pack containing 10 sticks.

As I said, I’ve actually received an order from this seller and can verify that the 99 cent shipped price is for an unopened standard 0.35 oz pack of CB2.

Just clarifying! :D

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
If I didn’t feel I currently have a lifetime supply of CB2, I’d definitely drop another big order.. Surprisingly quick shipping from China as well, less than two weeks to my door.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I change mine once a week.
I have a separate mod / atty for each liquid that i'm running and the eliquid that I like is usually clear to slightly yellowish.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I used cb2 prior, had to change my cotton every 2nd day. Sure I do vape high VG and extreme sweet juices but for me personally cb2 did have a long break in time and somewhat muted flavor.

I switched to kendo vape cotton gold edition, if I stick with one juice, which doesn't happen often, I would need to change every 9-13 days depending what it is. But since I change flavor/juices every tank/refill, I need to change cotton once a week.

My coils on the other hand need barely clean up or need to be exchanged. That's why I stick with that, but as others mentioned, try different materials/brands and pick what works great/best for you.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just ordered 10 of them. That's got to be a year's worth easily.

VU Sponsors