Become a Patron!

How many batteries do you have?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm curious. I know that most batteries have a life of 200-300 cycles. So, how many do you keep in an active rotation? Do you keep batteries you haven't used yet, in preparation for an FDA or Zombie apocalypse?

If I were to buy batteries for the future, can I just fully charge them and let them sit? For how long? It doesn't seem as if they'll go bad, or would they?

I sometimes get nervous about the future of vaping, so I start thinking of shit like this. At this moment I have 6 pairs in rotation, plus 4 singles. They're all from Illumn and about 6 months old.

Thanks.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have around 48 batteries.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Every once in a while a cell will just stop working.
I'll put a pair in a mod and it will not turn on so I'll put them on the charger and one will just not do anything at all.
It will show the same as if there were no cell in the charger.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every once in a while a cell will just stop working.
I'll put a pair in a mod and it will not turn on so I'll put them on the charger and one will just not do anything at all.
It will show the same as if there were no cell in the charger.

That's good to know. How many chargers do you have? I only have one, so another might be in order.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I only have one 4 bay plugged in now.
I have two others but I don't really use them.
They are more for back up in case something goes wrong with the one i have out.
I'm using an efest luc4 and have a nitecore i4 and an xtar 4 bay (i forget the model xc4 maybe?)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only have one 4 bay plugged in now.
I have two others but I don't really use them.
They are more for back up in case something goes wrong with the one i have out.
I'm using an efest luc4 and have a nitecore i4 and an xtar 4 bay (i forget the model xc4 maybe?)

I was just looking at them and I think I'll get the Luc 6 bay. Thanks for the info.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
12, I just re-wrapped some this morning
WxBhqO6.jpg

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
40+ in rotation after replacing 8 or 10 year+ old batteries recently but I have about 10 mods in rotation. This leaves me 3 sets of triples, 4 sets of doubles and 6 or 7 singles set to the side ready to go and/or charging with all my mods up and running.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4 for my mechs and 4 for my regulated box's

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Other than physical damage, how do you know when it's time to retire a battery?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Same as with disposable batteries. They stop working as well. Like in my flashlight, the light gets less bright as the batteries wear out.

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
I have six 18650 batteries that I cycle through - 4 LG HG2s and 2 Sony VTC5s (all legit). Each one lasts me about a day and I charge two at a time a few times a week. I'm trying to get as many cycles from them as I can. I don't hoard batteries as I'm not concerned about not being able to get them later. I have an assortment of 18350s, 18490s, and 14500s, but I've mostly been using 18650s in a regulated mod. I have two 2 bay chargers - I sometimes bring one to work since it takes about 7 hours for me to charge a 3000mAh battery.

If you have batteries that you don't expect to use for a while, I recall that you don't want to leave them sitting fully charged. I believe that 3.7v is a good level for long-term battery storage, not that I purposely drain batteries that I don't plan to use.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I miscounted. I have 15 18650s in rotation with 4 in reserve, plus two 26650s about to go into rotation with 2 in reserve.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
23 total. 3set for rx200(shelved), 2 for CM 521 tab, 2 30q never used, rest in rotation.for dual reg mods. Need to order a few more backups, at least 1/2 are a year+ old.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
15 in rotation, one I had to re-wrap, 2 sets of paired. Have only had one die on me. Was fine, was fine, was fine... popped it into the charger one night and it wouldn't do anything in any bay.

I think I have 4 button tops, too. Maybe 6, but I'm not getting off my couch to go look :D

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you have batteries that you don't expect to use for a while, I recall that you don't want to leave them sitting fully charged. I believe that 3.7v is a good level for long-term battery storage, not that I purposely drain batteries that I don't plan to use.
This. Store them at their nominal voltage. 3.7v.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never enough because there seems to be a new device every time I turn around.............. 12 in regular rotation and about another dozen sitting in my cart that I have not pulled the trigger on yet.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 10 batteries, since I recently got a pair of 30Q's. 4 Samsung 25R's, and 4 LG HE2's. The latter 8 are about a year, maybe 18 months old, but still seem to hold a charge very well, so I'll keep using them till they don't. I keep 2 of those latter 8 dedicated to my 2 iPV Mini's, since those mods have the bitchiest battery door I think I've ever used, and taking batteries in/out of those mods sometimes scratches the batt wraps, so I just charge them via their USB's. Occasionally I take those 2 out and put in another 2, so the dedicated 2 can get a charge on the actual charger.

I have 2 chargers; an efest Luc2, and an Xtar VC2 Plus; I bought the Xtar because I started noticing that if I charged 2 batteries at once in the Luc2, it got really warm, almost hot, and I know that's not good for the batteries. So now if I need to charge 2 at once, I put one in each charger, so they can both charge at 1A without overheating. The Luc2 is a year older than the Xtar, but since it doesn't get used a lot anymore, it still seems to work fine. I also use the Luc2 if i want to know the actual charge voltage of a battery, rather than its percentage of charge; the Xtar only shows the percentage, not the actual voltage.

Andria

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have more than I care to count, let's say 50+. Yeah I have a lot of mods that I use regularly...

@bobnat if you have batteries you are not going to use right away, it's better to store them at 3.7 volts. They last longer than being fully charged. That's why batteries that are shipped to you are around 3.7 V as well.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have 18 in use... 4 on charger at all times... and about a dozen waiting in the wings.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 10 batteries, since I recently got a pair of 30Q's. 4 Samsung 25R's, and 4 LG HE2's. The latter 8 are about a year, maybe 18 months old, but still seem to hold a charge very well, so I'll keep using them till they don't. I keep 2 of those latter 8 dedicated to my 2 iPV Mini's, since those mods have the bitchiest battery door I think I've ever used, and taking batteries in/out of those mods sometimes scratches the batt wraps, so I just charge them via their USB's. Occasionally I take those 2 out and put in another 2, so the dedicated 2 can get a charge on the actual charger.

I have 2 chargers; an efest Luc2, and an Xtar VC2 Plus; I bought the Xtar because I started noticing that if I charged 2 batteries at once in the Luc2, it got really warm, almost hot, and I know that's not good for the batteries. So now if I need to charge 2 at once, I put one in each charger, so they can both charge at 1A without overheating. The Luc2 is a year older than the Xtar, but since it doesn't get used a lot anymore, it still seems to work fine. I also use the Luc2 if i want to know the actual charge voltage of a battery, rather than its percentage of charge; the Xtar only shows the percentage, not the actual voltage.

Andria

I've read a few times recently that the Luc gets a bit warm. It seems to occur when charging at a higher rate. I do like the 6 bay one.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have more than I care to count, let's say 50+. Yeah I have a lot of mods that I use regularly...

@bobnat if you have batteries you are not going to use right away, it's better to store them at 3.7 volts. They last longer than being fully charged. That's why batteries that are shipped to you are around 3.7 V as well.

I am going to write that down. I do tend to forget stuff like that.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have the 4 bay LUC, I charge at .5 and mine never gets hot.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've read a few times recently that the Luc gets a bit warm. It seems to occur when charging at a higher rate. I do like the 6 bay one.

The first charger I got was a Nitecore i4... and that one got so hot once when I was charging measly lil 18350s, I retired it permanently (and eventually threw it out), and got the Luc2. I have only single-batt mods, so having a couple of 2-bay chargers works fine. Of course, my son just bought a Revenger, so I reckon we'll be needing another couple pairs of batts, and another charger. :facepalm: Xmas gifts! :D

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first charger I got was a Nitecore i4... and that one got so hot once when I was charging measly lil 18350s, I retired it permanently (and eventually threw it out), and got the Luc2. I have only single-batt mods, so having a couple of 2-bay chargers works fine. Of course, my son just bought a Revenger, so I reckon we'll be needing another couple pairs of batts, and another charger. :facepalm: Xmas gifts! :D

Andria

I think the newer ones don't heat up. I've got one that doesn't get warm either with 2 or 4. I must confess though, the chargers do make me a bit nervous.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At last count, around 25.

These are a mix of singles, married, and also some triple marriages, which aren't legal here in the UK but I allow my batteries to do this :p .

My oldest single cells still work well, but I have had to throw some of my older married batteries as they had a noticeable decrease in life, but for around 3 years they did well.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the newer ones don't heat up. I've got one that doesn't get warm either with 2 or 4. I must confess though, the chargers do make me a bit nervous.

Maybe they've improved the technology. Wth the Luc2, if I charge 2 at once, it gets pretty damn warm whether at 1A or .5; with the Xtar, if i charge 2 at once, it automagically makes it stay at .5A... so using 2 separate chargers for 2 batts works out well. Since I already have 2 chargers, when I get another, I'll probably just get anotner 2-bay, but definitely another Xtar -- I waited so long to get an Xtar because I figured with their top-of-the-line rep, they'd be more costly, but they're really not; they're very competitively priced with Efest chargers. I'll never buy another nitecore.

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe they've improved the technology. Wth the Luc2, if I charge 2 at once, it gets pretty damn warm whether at 1A or .5; with the Xtar, if i charge 2 at once, it automagically makes it stay at .5A... so using 2 separate chargers for 2 batts works out well. Since I already have 2 chargers, when I get another, I'll probably just get anotner 2-bay, but definitely another Xtar -- I waited so long to get an Xtar because I figured with their top-of-the-line rep, they'd be more costly, but they're really not; they're very competitively priced with Efest chargers. I'll never buy another nitecore.

Andria

I'll keep that in mind as I shop for another one. I want a 6 bay though as I recharge a minimum of 4 a day and on the weekends I have to do 6. I vape all day on the weekends...I love it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll keep that in mind as I shop for another one. I want a 6 bay though as I recharge a minimum of 4 a day and on the weekends I have to do 6. I vape all day on the weekends...I love it.

Xtar changed their URL recently; now it's https://www.lumensdirect.com/ -- and they no longer offer free shipping on every order, but their threshold is much lower than most I've seen -- free shipping with orders over $10. :) I really was pleasantly amazed at their prices, considering their outstanding rep. Supposed to be the best and safest chargers available.

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Xtar changed their URL recently; now it's https://www.lumensdirect.com/ -- and they no longer offer free shipping on every order, but their threshold is much lower than most I've seen -- free shipping with orders over $10. :) I really was pleasantly amazed at their prices, considering their outstanding rep. Supposed to be the best and safest chargers available.

Andria

Thanks!

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
8 or 9 but I really only use 3 sometimes I will get one charged right, especially when I've been drinking, so I'll use some others.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Um... around 120 before I lost count. That includes 18650, 14500, 14650, 20700, 18350, 18490/18500, 26650. That does not include AA (yes, I have a mod that runs on 3 X AA), or mods with built in cells, or backups in boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Um... around 120 before I lost count. That includes 18650, 14500, 14650, 20700, 18350, 18490/18500, 26650. That does not include AA (yes, I have a mod that runs on 3 X AA), or mods with built in cells, or backups in boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Shawn, somehow I'm not surprised by you having 120+ batteries. I've wondered how you keep track of everything. Do you keep a logistics manager on your payroll? ;)

VU Sponsors