Become a Patron!

How long do your coils last??

M.scar.603

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just trying to see how long people's coils they build last them..I recently starting building and want to know on average how often I can expect to re-wick and coil my RBA mini plus inside my Subtank Mini..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just trying to see how long people's coils they build last them..I recently starting building and want to know on average how often I can expect to re-wick and coil my RBA mini plus inside my Subtank Mini..
For me in my Subohm tanks about a week at best as much as I vape usually 3 days and they are toast
If you mean the built coils themselves if they are TI or SS then forever if they are Kanthal a week or tw0

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
depends totally on the juice you're vaping...some people who vape NETs dry burn their coils once a day.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me in my Subohm tanks about a week at best as much as I vape usually 3 days and they are toast
If you mean the built coils themselves if they are TI or SS then forever if they are Kanthal a week or tw0
is SS wire just for TC set ups?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nope, it works just fine for straight power devices as well. hell it works better than just fine, its my fave right now
so you can use it in mech mods in an atty....how does the reisitance compare with kanthal do you have to do more wraps.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so you can use it in mech mods in an atty....how does the reisitance compare with kanthal do you have to do more wraps.
It's lower resistance than kanthal. It's also a hell of a lot easier to work with

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pulse at low wattage. I've had no issues
unfotunately when building a genny you need to glow the coils in order to work out the hot spots...is this possible using ss....or will glowing the coils break the bond that keeps the nasties out....

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have a 24 gauge Kanthal A-1, 0.39 ohm coil in my Subtank Mini RBA head that is going on three months now!

Dry burn every other day, give it some love with a tiny brush and a new wick and I am good to go for another 48 hours.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
depends totally on the juice you're vaping...some people who vape NETs dry burn their coils once a day.
Depends on way more than just what juice you vape. What wire you're using, how often you vape, what voltage/wattage/amperage/resistance, surface area, all play a role because how long a coil lasts will depend on how hot you make it and for how long, as well as how well the wire you are using can handle the heat.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a 26g kanthal in a veritas over a month old. I use it every day. Rewick about every two weeks. No issues.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually rewick daily and rebuild once a week, so far the longest I've gone is 2 weeks with the same coil in my rda, and maybe 3 days without rewicking. I vape 15-30 ml a day though so your mileage may vary

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Cloudchuckin Sam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a Velocity clone RDA and vape nothing but high to 100% VG ejuice. About every three days I gently pull out the old wicking. I run cold water and hold the fire button on my mod for ten seconds, the coil will get red hot. I then release the fire button and at an angle so my mod doesn't get wet, I place the coils under the flowing water for 2-3 seconds. The coils are good as new. I gently pat them dry, rewick and continue vaping. I use 24 gauge kanthal btw. I've been doing this for a month and my coils are still going strong.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I kinda do the same thing ..
Coiks last a long time, and I only change them out if I'm going to use a different wire/build..
When changing flavors I unscrew the RDA off the mod, pull the cotton wicks and run the deck under hot tap water..check resistance on a ohmmeter and tighten screws if necessary.. Install the deck back on the mod, pulse the switch until coils glow bright red a few times burning off any residue that might be left...
499735df6851a498127f06c07568dda0.jpg
these dual 24g coils are still going strong after 3 mos or so..only change wicks and check resistance occansioally...

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cloudchuckin Sam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kinda do the same thing ..
Coiks last a long time, and I only change them out if I'm going to use a different wire/build..
When changing flavors I unscrew the RDA off the mod, pull the cotton wicks and run the deck under hot tap water..check resistance on a ohmmeter and tighten screws if necessary.. Install the deck back on the mod, pulse the switch until coils glow bright red a few times burning off any residue that might be left...
499735df6851a498127f06c07568dda0.jpg
these dual 24g coils are still going strong after 3 mos or so..only change wicks and check resistance occansioally...

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk
Yes that's pretty much what I do

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My coils last months - dual fused claptons. I rewick every two days or so. I also hit them up and run them under the tap. I also take an old toothbrush and lightly brush them. I check the screws, look fo hot spots that need fixing ( sometimes a light squeeze with the tweezers or put my screwdriver through ) and then rewick.Truly my coils last a really long time with no issues at all. I have them last up to a year.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, really, SS is not really any better than Kanthal, it just depends on how you treat it, right? Because I saw a video where the guy said SS gave a better flavor of your juices, because it atomizes your juice twice as fast a Kanthal. It gets confusing, but I really want to use a wire that gives me good flavor, and I don't have to change every other day. Right now, I use only RDA's, Vulcans, & Velocity, with my coils running from .3 to .5 ohms. Sometimes I might go down to .25, but that is rare. I've been using strictly Kanthal, but I'm not opposed to changing to SS if it's gonna do a better job.

Jayvon633

Member For 4 Years
my coils have always lasted until i wanted a different set up. some for months. i dont think they really get hot enough (depending on how you vape, and iv been around 90watts lately) to degrade anything in the coil your biggest issue would be creatinh hotspots from rewicking and bumping the coils around a little.

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
For the subtank, I preferred rewicking their stock heads to using the RTA head, the coils had better flavor. easy to do, hold near bottom (not the post, just low on top part) with pliers, pry top off with one jaw of needlenose pliers, pull out cotton, dry burn, rewick.

I find with dry burning and rewicking, I get very long use out of my built coils. Not even sure how long. The wick is the thing that gets bad, and it's easy to replace compared to making new coils.

VU Sponsors