Become a Patron!

How long did it take you to quit smoking

Mgk2000

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm on my 9th day of vaping and yesterday I had 7 cigarettes. Today is my best day yet, I've only had one so far and I've been smoking for almost twenty years and was over a pack a day. So this is turning out quite successful for me but I'm just wondering for other people... How long did it take for you to completely give cigarettes up after vaping?

Majistir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started with cig-a-likes where pretty much all there was to choose from. Smoker for 10+ years and actually liked the alternative. My biggest issue was there was always something that had to be replaced like juice or the damned 510 batteries that couldn't hold a charge any longer. Juice was a big one though. If I ran out of juice I would just buy Marlboros till the juice arrived.

My advise, get a sub ohm tank so you don't have to worry about coils and juice capacity. And a single or dual regulated 18650 mod if you haven't already. I didnt have those options in the beginning. Oh and get sampler ejuice pack to find out what your flavor is then buy a bunch of it.

It took me about 1 year to figure out what it would take for me to get off ciggarettes. Off and on smoker/vapers. I would think it's easier now but don't know. Been vaping for 8 years now I think!

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Long damned time, OP. I'll be the first to admit, when absolute certain circumstances arise, I'll accept an offered cigarette.

Here's the rub - whether or not you want to completely quit cigarettes is on you. No one else. Some folk pick up a vape and never touch a smoke again. Others continue to smoke and vape, and others just don't take to vaping altogether as a replacement, but as a more accepted, less damaging crutch. In my humble little opinion, both of these outcomes are complete victories for the person in question just as long as that's what that person set out to do.

Stuff like this...

Today is my best day yet, I've only had one so far and I've been smoking for almost twenty years and was over a pack a day.

...is awesome. Good job, sir, I offer you my congratulations and hope you continue on your path to healthier lungs, and a longer life.

Not a whole lot in this world is completely binary, on or off, black or white. I've come around to accepting vaping as one of those things that can cover quite a bit of grey in between.

My personal story? I'm in love with nicotine. I have been since I was a boy and I swiped a Benson and Hedges 100 from my folks' packs, snuck around the back of the house with a busted disposable lighter and was the only one of a group of 4 younger boys that didn't hack his lungs up and attempt to yack our breakfast up. Steady smoker before the end of high school, quit smoking to dip chewing tobacco when I joined the service. Went back to smoking when it gave me health complications, and swapped to vaping more-or-less a couple years ago.

Now, I can't sit here and type out "and that was the last cigarette I ever did have" with a straight face, because that's a bold-faced lie. And I'm not a liar.

I've smoked since switching to vaping, here and there, but certainly never on the level of where I was before I switched to vaping. In fact, it's been... two weeks, give or take, since my last cigarette. (think turkey-day - had in-laws over for dinner, was offered a smoke after dinner and I took it up. Smoked half the thing, put it out, and went back on the vape right afterwards.)

But why? Because I wanted it. It sounded good, it was being offered up, and I didn't feel like turning the offer down. It was fine, it wasn't a "oh god this is what I've been missing out on all this time!" it was a smoke. Half a smoke, because I prefer my Pipe-Tobacco concoctions over roasting tobacco leaves. It wasn't horrible, burning-rubber murder-in-my-mouth, and it didn't make me cough my lungs up.

It also didn't make me want to go back to smoking.

So! For me, if I'm out camping with my brother and he offers me a cigarette around the campfire with a canteen cup full of Sailor Jerry, yeah, I could go for a smoke in that situation. Long hours under the sun, working a sweat up - I'll have my vape stash close at hand, but if I'm taking five and someone offers me a smoke, I very well may go for it.

I used to smoke two packs a day. Prided myself on it. That's 40 cigarettes a day.

Times 7, we're at 280 cigarettes in a week. A week. Probably more, I'd smoke a lot more on the weekends.

If I can be comfortable not depriving myself of something (which, psychologically only makes me want it more, kinda like dieting and forcing myself to hate and stay away from sugar - just gonna rebound back the other way) - if I can get that number from 14,600 cigarettes a year to 3, I'm a happy camper. I've succeeded. That very well may be your path as well.

Keep at it, but don't punish yourself, don't put a ton of stress on top of all this, all any of that is going to do is drive you back to a warm, comforting habit that you've conditioned yourself over twenty years to cherish. Treat it like ... I don't know, "letting your hair down." Do it once or twice a year and you're good, but if every night is hair-down night...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might add I coughed alot when I first started vaping..after being a 2 PAD
smoker for twenty years I talked to my doctor about it.
First of all he was thrilled to hear I quit smoking and said even his own kids vape as it's alot better than smoking tobacco..he also stated my lungs were irritated from all those years of smoking causing me to cough when I vape and said my lungs will heal themselves as long as I don't smoke anymore..
He was right, I stayed vaping and quit coughing inside a week..these folks who smoke and vape aren't doing their lungs any favors..
I just wish I could have got my step-mom to quit smoking and vape instead.. she died of lung cancer on Mother's Day this year.. :(

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm on my 9th day of vaping and yesterday I had 7 cigarettes. Today is my best day yet, I've only had one so far and I've been smoking for almost twenty years and was over a pack a day. So this is turning out quite successful for me but I'm just wondering for other people... How long did it take for you to completely give cigarettes up after vaping?

It took me over two-and-a-half years of dual using to completely 100% stop smoking using vaping

But I smoked 2.5 PAD for 37 years

Tomorrow it will 11 months since I had a smoke

Was always jealous of the folks who "got my first vape, tossed my cigarettes and never looked back..."

Remember, every cigarette you don't smoke is a big victory and just keep at it, even if you have a hardcore slip up

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I did the dual use for a couple of months. I was cutting down the number of cigarettes per day . One night I went out to smoke my first and last smoke of the day and thought I should have just vaped. I haven't smoked a cigarette since. It has been over two years now. I gave a buddy some gear pointed him in the direction of his local vape shop, he tossed his smokes on the wat out the door. He doesn't even vape now. Anyway you do it just do it, good luck.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Congrats.....and welcome aboard.....:vino:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
When I started vaping, I was a stogie sucker and started out with 36 mg of nic on a cigalike.

After about 10 days of dual use, I just did not want to smoke anymore and went to vaping full time.

After I had been of of the analogs for about 2 weeks, my sense of smell came back.

Cost me about $100 to get the stink detailed out of my car!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TAKE YOUR TIME and DO NOT RUSH IT.
If you try to rush you could easily get disappointed.
Just put forth the effort to try and take it from there.
Sounds like you're doing well, just continue.

When I first started vaping in 2011 I was a dual user.
The longer I'd go without a stinky, I'd reward myself with a stinky.
Yes I know that doesn't make sense however it worked for me.
Each milestone I hit for length of time without a stinky, I'd reward myself with one.
When that reward became a punishment, I knew I was done and haven't looked back.
This process took me a few months and I couldn't be happier about it.
(it was the 1 month milestone without a stinky that the reward became a punishment)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My wife got her vape last Oct and hasn't had a cig since. I got mine a week later, and stretched my last 2 packs well into Nov. I haven't had a smoke since. I took a couple of drags off a Red last month, just to "see"...:blech: Took hours to vape the taste away, lol.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was a pack and a half a day smoker for over 36 years, last cigarette was the one I had when I left the Vape shop. Carried the pack around with me for a week and then finally chucked them. That was a year ago last July, been a happy vaper since and my health has drastically improved.

But everyone is different, some it takes a bit of dual use for a couple of months. There's no magic bullet, you still need to make an effort but it's significantly easier with Vaping.

Another thing I believe which helps me stay off the Stinkies, I've went down the hobby side and it's so much relaxing fun and keeps me focused ;)

I liked smoking, but I LOVE vaping!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Took me about 3 weeks, I think. During the 2nd week I started making it tougher to smoke, though. I'd leave my cigarettes in my car while I was home, or on breaks at work, so I wouldn't hassle with getting them, but then I couldn't give up the smoke to and from work. 3rd week, I couldn't get through a whole cigarette because of the taste of them. Finally, I just made myself not smoke to and from work. The option was there, but I didn't have to smoke, so I just didn't. That pack stayed in my car a really long time before I tossed them. Wasn't long after that, I found a whole pack, unopened, in the back floor board. I gave those to a girl I worked with. Tried getting her to switch, but she was not having it.

If you get there fast, that's awesome. If you don't, you're cutting way down, so you're doing it right :) Welcome to VU!

Duchesst

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tossed the analogs the moment, more in fear off that having them around would tempt me to hard then anything else. That being said i think that there are different reasons to start vaping and even more differnt ways to motivate oneself. And by keeping an eye on your reason and method should give you the most chance on succes, together with your gear and juice.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Took me 2 weeks to wean off of cigs. I started vaping with the Mistic Bridge kits and Haus 24nic liquid and some Mistic cartridges. I live in NY and a pack of cigs cost over $10.00 in a store, but I would drive 80 miles to the Rez at $20.00 a carton.During a bad blizzard I just thought this is crazy, I need to quit smoking so I bought the Mistic kits instead!
I set my end date for Dec1,2014 after a 30+ year 1 PAD and have not had a single cigarette since! I have much better gear now too and it is all delivered to my door(like cigs used to be able to do)
Was it easy to quit, NO, but I stuck it out and vaped more, even with friends and family telling me that vaping was more dangerous(lots of bad press), nothing to me can be worse than smoking!
Everyone is different on how they quit or cut back cigs- a victory for the ones you don't smoke! Oh and I was a menthol smoker , but during my 2 week weaning I only used nasty regulars-yuck, no way was I treating myself with my brand, worked for me. I needed and wanted to quit cigarettes!
My hubby still smokes, tries vaping here and there, makes him cough out a lung, but he is still a smoker and still wants to smoke cigs, and still I am not tempted- the horrid smell in the garage-yuck!
Good Luck

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First, congrats!

I was only "dual use" for about 2 weeks. And that was with little cigalikes - but still, one day I was out for a smoke, realized I actually wanted to vape instead - that I was finding that more enjoyable - and so I stopped smoking.
I never had cravings. And when later - I think a at least a month later - I took a puff on a cig - it tasted nasty.

I actually went through phases. For about 3 months, I'd smoke more than I vaped for a few days, then vape more than I smoked for a few days. Long story short, I knew I was getting laid off from my job, so I decided that my last day of work, would be my last day of smoking. Haven't smoked again since. IMO it's not a race, do what your comfortable with. It's GREAT that you've slowed down, just keep making positive steps.
Hope that makes sense lol

I've been vaping for 3years going on 4. I loved smoking and did not wanna give it up! My wife also smoked at the time and it was her idea for us to give up smoking. I refused but eventually gave in. Took me about a week to get off smoking. That horrible smell and taste of a cigarette I couldn't take. I'm now a full on vaper and sadly for her she still smokes and vapes.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I smoked a pack a day for 40 years then I had a heart attack and I never quit. I cut down to 1 or 2 a day. Over time that increased to 4 or 5 a day, then 6 or 7. This went on for 9 years. Eight months ago, under pressure from my wife, I bought my first vape, a Kanger Sobvod. I quit smoking the same day. After about three months of vaping only, I was having a few beers and though "Fuch it! I'm gonna have a smoke." I had two drags and tossed it. i couldn't stand the taste or the smell. My wife has a smoke once a day most days and she has to stand down-wind from me when she's smoking. i can't stand the smell at all now. I bought her a vape machine and she never took to it. I guess 5 smokes a week won't kill her. So I've been vaping now for eight months and really quit smoking the day I started vaping.

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
I made the decision to start vaping when my wife started. When I ran out of cigs I drove over to the local vape shop and got set up with a pen vape and juice. After about two months I decided I wanted a cigarette so I bought a pack, smoked one and thought THATS FREAKIN' DISGUSTING!

Haven't smoked since. Been two years.

Of course, the pen vape has turned into several mods, tanks, RTA's, bottles and bottles of juice and now my wife looks at me like I've lost my marbles.

Cigs were never this much fun.

jeeper16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Zero days here, as well. I went in to buy cigarettes, and like many times before asked myself why the hell am I still smoking. Decided to give the Vuse a try, they were running some special. I haven't had a cigarette since that morning. I only made it a few days with the Vuse, decided to give the Joyetech AIO a shot after reading great reviews. Not really into building anything, they work perfectly for my desire to puff on something. I'm not sure I'll be vaping too long, as my goal is to be down to 0mg nic by the end of the year.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Nic is not so bad for ya unless maybe combined with High Blood Pressure.
It is all the other things that is in Cig smoke.
I have to disagree, nicotine is also responsible for Hardening of Arteries, as well as Hypertension.

Been 6 months since I had a cigarette, took about a week from the time I decided to use a Vape till I was done with the "Stinkies".
I smoked for 48 years, couldn't have done it without the vape.

Started @ 6mg/ml of nicotine, just dropped to .05mg/ml - goal is to be free of nicotine by New Years!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm maybe...
However since all the data is from nicotine from smoking....

I was able to go off of Hypertension/High blood pressure medicine after I quit smoking and switched to vaping.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was able to go off of Hypertension/High blood pressure medicine after I quit smoking and switched to vaping.

That's awesome!!! - While I can say without question that vaping is 1,000,000 times better for you than smoking, I've read enough and listened to my Dr.'s lectures for so many years, that being Nic free is 100% the right goal for me.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's awesome!!! - While I can say without question that vaping is 1,000,000 times better for you than smoking, I've read enough and listened to my Dr.'s lectures for so many years, that being Nic free is 100% the right goal for me.
Many doctors tell their patients that vaping is worse than smoking.
Doctors just have to meet a minimum standard of training.
Some are much better than others.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Nicotine is an alkaloid substance like ephedrine, c**feine, co*eine, c*caine and a variety of other addictive substances ending with "ine". I'm pretty sure that, although nearly harmless, eliminating nicotine from your body will do your body some good aside from eliminating dependancy.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nicotine is an alkaloid substance like ephedrine, caffeine, c**eine, c*caine and a variety of other addictive substances ending with "ine". I'm pretty sure that, although nearly harmless, eliminating nicotine from your body will do your body some good aside from eliminating dependancy.
Ohh yes NO nicotine, caffeine, etc in your body is probably best.
Although they are researching if nicotine may help with some conditions. Alzheimer's being one I think. If I could just remember....
And we do get small amounts of nic from tomatoes, potatoes and a few other veggie types of things.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My doctor was skeptical until I was able to stop taking prednisone for my RA, my liver spots disappeared from my hands and my oxygen saturation shot up to 100% among other miracles - and this is when I was still sneaking smokes!

I have to disagree, nicotine is also responsible for Hardening of Arteries, as well as Hypertension.

Been 6 months since I had a cigarette, took about a week from the time I decided to use a Vape till I was done with the "Stinkies".
I smoked for 48 years, couldn't have done it without the vape.

Started @ 6mg/ml of nicotine, just dropped to .05mg/ml - goal is to be free of nicotine by New Years!
Congrats and good luck to you! I'm usually in the ball park of 3mg. but was doing 12mg when I first started.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My doctor was skeptical until I was able to stop taking prednisone for my RA, my liver spots disappeared from my hands and my oxygen saturation shot up to 100% among other miracles - and this is when I was still sneaking smokes!
Yep, but I gots popcorn toes.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have a mushroom in the grass. Gotta keep the grass trimmed to make the mushroom look bigger.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Buncha damn degenerates! :cuss2:

I'm just putting a lil glitter on my christmas balls.

VU Sponsors