Become a Patron!

How long are your Kanger Subtank OCC Coils lasting?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How long are your Subtank OCC Coils lasting?

I am using 1.2ohm OCC Coils in my Subtank Mini at 16 Watts (4.3 Volts) . My coils are lasting 6 to 7 days. I vape around 3ml of 50/50 Juice a day.

Woody_

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ran one through 80ml of juice over a month. .5 ohm coil at 26W. It was long overdue for a change and going forward I doubt I'll run them past 60ml.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know how authentic their "authentic" coils are, but Cigabuy had these coils, .5 and 1.2, listed for $1.59 each. The "non-authentics" were a few cents cheaper. They're in China, so it takes a few weeks to get anything, but at that price I had thought of ordering a few. The cheapest I've found a 5-pack was around $14 from Mt. Baker. I can stretch one a couple of weeks, but not much more. If I'm working, I'll use about 7-10ml in a day. Off days 15-20.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
A week tops for me which is all it will take. Can't chain vape it and have to go easy. Mine foul pretty quick Esp since I don't push it hard. My Starre or Atlantis keep up great with my power chain vaping

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RobbieR, what juice are you using to only get about 20ml through them?

I get over 60ml and some juices I get over 100ml at 17.4watts +1 boost with 1.2ohm.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RobbieR, what juice are you using to only get about 20ml through them?

I get over 60ml and some juices I get over 100ml at 17.4watts +1 boost with 1.2ohm.

Maven Liquids "Canadian Tobacco" 50/50 12mg Nicotine. I put a fresh coil in last Wednesday morning, and now I am getting a metallic taste. It could just be me being over sensitive, but I am pretty sure my coil is gone :confused: I am just getting a new coil primed so I will know in a few minutes if its the coil or me:D

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Coil was gone, I just put a fresh coil in and the metallic flavor is gone. That coil was in for 6 1/2 days.

I wonder if I would get better coil life by turning up my voltage? Maybe 16 watts is not hot enough to burn off the excess crap?

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It might just be a terribly gunky juice. My banana cream pie is a coil killer.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I have only used two different juices in my Subtank Mini & I got a week out of my coils with both juices. I am OK with my coils lasting a week considering I was replacing coils every 2-3 days with Kanger Emow just a few weeks ago.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Robbie, I am a bit OCD about tracking any coil rebuild so every RDA/Tank I have, has a dedicated sticky note on my computer desktop so I can keep track of such issues. Even from the first day I got the Subtank Mini back at the end of Jan. I have been changing the coil about every 14 days. Now, with that said... a few times, I have thrown in the RBA section and played around with vertical coil builds, and I also have two drippers and two more tanks I use throughout the day, so the Subtank Mini is not being used all day. Maybe if you let us know if you have more than one tank in rotation throughout the day someone might be able to give you ideas about "life of the coil".
I DIY so I know what juices tend to collect and create sludge on the coil/wick, those juices I usually try to keep to my Lemos or drippers, which I can re-wick easy. The Subtank usually is filled with very light colored juice, with a low percentage of overall flavoring, to reduce the probability that the coil will gunk and become less efficient, as well as decrease the possibility of corrosion of the metals in the coil.
I have had good luck with coils purchased at VaporBeast and MyFreedomSmokes. I think the "latest batch" have a red insulator in the bottom of the coil. At least that's what I've seen with the one's I've purchased.
Finally, I don't push the 1.2 ohm coils much over 15 watts. That's just personal preference and a little TLC on my part to not push it to perform like a sub ohm coil. I don't use the .5 ohm coils at all.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@pdxjlb

I only have the one Subtank Mini, I use it all day every day. I plan on buying another tank soon. I want to be able to switch flavors without any hassles. I am contemplating buying another Subtank Mini or Mirco. That way I only have to buy one type of coil for both tanks. I am just not sure if I want to fully commit myself to the Kanger Subtank line of tanks at this point. I am only using the 1.2ohm coils as well. The 0.5ohm coil is too hot and produces too much vapor for me.

Regarding coil life.......I was under the impression that vaping at lower watts can decrease coil life because of build up on the coil? Any idea if this is correct or does higher watts just burn the coil out faster? :confused:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
+1
Sweeter juices will gunk up the coils quicker. I had a vanilla juice, that I used to vape in a Protank, and I had to change the coil every 3 days. A different juice in another tank with the same resistance coil lasted 7-8 days.

My Subtank's coil (0.5 Ohm @30W) usually last 7 days. Except for one coil, that lasted not even a day. However, it was my fault. I switched the tank to my 2nd Sigelei with fresher batteries, in order to last during the day in the office. I forgot I had it set to 65W, due to having vaped a RDA with it. The first hit with the tank was a little unpleasant. After turning the wattage down, there still was a slight burned taste.

Last edited:

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the Sub tank plus and the nano and i love both of them. At first my occ coils lasted about a week but after a while i was lucky to get a day. I found you can rewick the occ coil and i have been having great rwsults so far with that. I do a thinner wick and it seems to pull in the juice much better. I am using a 30/70 juice. It seems to me some occ coils have the cotton wich in too tight this does not let the juice flow very well. Also pre soaking a new coil and letting it sit in a tank if juice for 10 minutes be for first use is a must. I new to this and just learningbthe tricks. Once you get the burnt taste it wont go way until you replace the cotton wick.

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I usually get two-three days, maybe a week depending on the juice and how much I use it.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the Sub tank plus and the nano and i love both of them. At first my occ coils lasted about a week but after a while i was lucky to get a day. I found you can rewick the occ coil and i have been having great rwsults so far with that. I do a thinner wick and it seems to pull in the juice much better. I am using a 30/70 juice. It seems to me some occ coils have the cotton wich in too tight this does not let the juice flow very well. Also pre soaking a new coil and letting it sit in a tank if juice for 10 minutes be for first use is a must. I new to this and just learningbthe tricks. Once you get the burnt taste it wont go way until you replace the cotton wick.
l have the original .5 head that came in my Subtank. I've re-wicked it a dozen times and when it gets yucky, I toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner for 15 minutes, rinse, and dry, then re-wick.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Thanks for the suggestion, I saw a youtube video of a guy re-wicking OCC coils and plan on trying it. I also soak fresh coils for a few minutes before I use them. I start by dripping juice directly in the small side holes of the coil until they won't absorb any more liquid.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They normally last about 2 weeks, but I only use tanks when I'm out and generally use a 50\50 blend.

The 0.5ohm OCCs usually get funky tasting for me somewhere between 15-25ml, using high VG juice. Have not been able to run an entire 30ml bottle through one before losing taste and tossing it.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My current coil has been in for 7 days and is still going strong. Usually at this point my flavor gets a little funky with a slight metallic taste. I set my airflow to wide open this week and I am wondering if the increased airflow is helping with my coil life? Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
I've been running a 0.5 ohms vertical coil at 30w using 70 vg juice for 2 weeks now in a subtank mini and it's still going strong. I vape around 5ml a day (3mg).
With a new coil, I put a few drops(2-3) of juice in each of the juice holes and let each drop soak in before adding the next one. I also put 2 drops in the top.
Next, I fill the tank with juice and put the whole thing together.
Now, here's the important bit, breaking the coil in. If you burn the cotton or fire the coil to high straight away, it will taste rank forever and not last very long.
The first firing should be done at low watts. Set it to 7-8w and do a few hard pulls (just to get it started). Then raise it to 15w and do the same. Then the same again at 20w. By now it should be producing reasonable vapour. Once this breaking in is finished, you're clear to go to 30w and beyond .
By using this technique I seem to be able to prolong the life of the coils by quite some time.

Hope this was useful to someone, it works for me.

These coils are only ÂŁ2 each so 2 weeks+ use out of each one is very reasonable, ie, don't bother cleaning or rebuilding them. Life's too short.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I only use the Ni200 coils. I average about 7-10 days a coil. Every so often I'll get 14 days. Once in awhile I get a dud and only get 3-5 days out of it but they are far and few in between.

Thejackson5

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw a video on you tube showing how to fully rebuild these coils. Check it out.

thepopenale

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before I used the RTA I found the OCC coils hit or miss.

With all other factors staying the same, some coils would wear out faster than others. The OCC coils dont seem very consistent. Some last 2 weeks or more, others last less than a week.

Give the RTA a chance, its the way to go imo.

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They're lasting me like 4 days tops. I think I vape too much.

RedFive420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@pdxjlb

I only have the one Subtank Mini, I use it all day every day. I plan on buying another tank soon. I want to be able to switch flavors without any hassles. I am contemplating buying another Subtank Mini or Mirco. That way I only have to buy one type of coil for both tanks. I am just not sure if I want to fully commit myself to the Kanger Subtank line of tanks at this point. I am only using the 1.2ohm coils as well. The 0.5ohm coil is too hot and produces too much vapor for me.

Regarding coil life.......I was under the impression that vaping at lower watts can decrease coil life because of build up on the coil? Any idea if this is correct or does higher watts just burn the coil out faster? :confused:
i think another subtank is a great move. i have a plus, a mini, and the nano. i fill all three in the morning and im good to go. i have found some great prices on ebay for replacement coils and its like you said only need one coil...... not to mention i have just started using the rba that the plus and the mini come with and after a few failed tries at wicking, im really enjoying it

cjk081293

Member For 4 Years
I've gotten varied results with miltiple vocc boxes. Some of them are straight duds out of the box, the last 4 I tried were all duds from the box reading 1.00+ on two different mods. I just decided to try my hand at wicking the rba again which aftee playing around with another rta felt like a cake walk lol. The good ones I put about 100ml or more so over a week or two. Though my diy juice is either clear ans lightly flavored or unflavored sp its not lik e I'm running total coil gunkers.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i think another subtank is a great move. i have a plus, a mini, and the nano. i fill all three in the morning and im good to go. i have found some great prices on ebay for replacement coils and its like you said only need one coil...... not to mention i have just started using the rba that the plus and the mini come with and after a few failed tries at wicking, im really enjoying it

I actually have 2 Subtank Minis now. They are the only tanks I own & I am very happy with them. I also started re-wicking the OCC coils and building on the RBA. I have not had to buy a coil in months:)

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am using 1.5 vertical with 80/20 VG juice, and mine aren't lasting but about 4, 5 days at 11W It sucks. I wonder if 1.2 would be better for me.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am using 1.5 vertical with 80/20 VG juice, and mine aren't lasting but about 4, 5 days at 11W It sucks. I wonder if 1.2 would be better for me.

Really not that bad tho, maybe you should try out the rda so you can play with the builds a bit more.

How long are your Subtank OCC Coils lasting?

I am using 1.2ohm OCC Coils in my Subtank Mini at 16 Watts (4.3 Volts) . My coils are lasting 6 to 7 days. I vape around 3ml of 50/50 Juice a day.

After about a week I'll notice the flavor start to diminish with my CLOCC coils in my TOGO mini. I have a really sweet juice that's Max VG, so mainly VG.
After about a week I'll get a slightly burnt taste, not too much but noticeable.

RongYao

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I get mixed results. The first 1.5 coil i used lasted 2 days on 30w & 70vg and not chain vaping. 2nd 1.5 coil is under the same conditions is still going on 6 days so far. I find myself tossing kanger coils out more often due to leaks then burning them out. Don't have time to fiddle with leaking on the go.

Good day!

Newbie here and the results kinda varies. I bought a 5 pack ssocc coils 0.5 ohms. When I was in the US there was an instance that it only lasted within 2 days with changing the wattage from time to time using a kangertech subtank mini/wismec reuleaux rx 2/3.

Now I'm in the Philippines, last coil change was January 07, 2016 and until January 31, 2017 it's still okay and have been consistently vaping at 40 watts.

Should I be worried that it's been usable until now?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors