Become a Patron!

How Hard is It to Quit Vaping?

iDIcktc40w

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I plan on quitting once I run out of DIY supplies. Can't afford it.

So how hard is it to quit, especially compared to smoking. I find vaping doesnt hit that itch perfectly like a red did, Id rather vape but i always have this anxious feeling since i quit. Even when I vape till i get a buzz and a headache. Right now Im vaping a 50/50 6mg mix, In my 26 gauge 1 ohm single coil at 20ish watts.8mg was too much. Anyway off topic, anybody whos quit or taken a break share your experience with me?

Sorry about spelling my keyboard is destroyed lol ;)

iDIcktc40w

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot to say I have been vaping since September and smoked for almost two years, around ten reds a day, if i didn't start vaping i would probably be around a ppd. switched to save money, vape around 7 mls a day.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
colbert-popcorn_zps82gexkbv.gif

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since most of us here are active vapers here it's hard for us to answer.
Maybe you should find an ex-vaping forum and ask your question there;)

Screw PC and I don't mean the computer.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Actually, I have not had a vape since the day after Christmas. I was a 2pack a day smoker and tried every which way to quit pills, patches, gun....nothing worked. Then I tried vaping. Slowly but surely I became a huge hobbyist, DIY Juice, repairs and pretty much built my own mod, have 37 mods in my inventory from 15w provari to several high end mechanicals to a couple of dna200s and everything in between.
I started vaping to quit smoking, and got to 0 nicotine. I finally decided that would put it down for no other reason than I just wanted to.
The bottom line is, that it is that easy. No matter what your endgame is or the motivation behind your question- quitting vaping is much easier than stoping smoking on top of it being a healthier alternative to combustible tobacco.
Yet another win for vaping. It's harder to quit the forums than it was to quit the vaping. If you do quit, by all means get or stay involved in the advocacy so that others in the future have the same chance as you.

Last edited:

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+Above. Mom's gotten down to 0 nic and, slowly over time, she's abandoning the vape. Every now and again she picks it up due to stress or social reminders of vaping/smoking (if I'm there, or if she's with friends who smoke or vape).

But at this point, it's pure hand to mouth habit for her and she consumes less than 1 ml per day.

I've worked my way down from 22 mg/ml to 1 mg/ml nicotine. From here, I could probably quit but I'd rather drift down further before doing that.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No lie, I've forgotten my vape before leaving for work a handful of times. Surprisingly did not ruin my day. Hell, quite often I forget to vape on my breaks and it doesn't stress me out any.

Vaping 0mg was easy enough for me to accomplish. I had been a 3mg vaper for a long time before one day, I decided to leave the house with 0mg. Didn't miss the nic even a little. Now, I occasionally vape 3mg for recreational purposes. I keep my tolerance low enough by vaping 0mg that when I vape 3mg, it actually does something really pleasant for me.

That being said, I still do vape... ...quite a lot by vaping standards in fact. But I think that if I didn't enjoy it so much as a hobby or even just saw a real unavoidable reason to quit (such as not being able to afford it,) I would be able to put it down indefinitely.

How that would really shake down in the long run is anybody's guess. Our addiction is a deeply psychological one. Most people who quit smoking succeed for the first month. Many even make it past 3, which is well beyond the threshold for physical habituation and arguably even surface-level mental conditioning.

Unfortunately, regardless of how they quit, by the 6 month mark, roughly half of them have relapsed. People don't give the hand-mouth thing enough credit. I think to pull it off, you have to really examine your habits and their causes. Look at how you cope with and react to stress very carefully. It probably helps to have a lot of control over the biggest stressors in your life... ...or at least be more apt at managing them than you were as a smoker/vaper. That's going to be the most critical and perhaps most difficult step. You have to fundamentally change the way you change the way you feel. That wasn't a typo. I'm serious.

I sometimes wonder if maybe the reason that vaping works so well as a means for quitting smoking has to do with the fact that you are replacing something that fulfills a need rather than eliminating the need completely, the latter of which is something you will likely need to look at doing in order to succeed.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vaped around 20-25mls a day at my peak, mostly 1-3 mg nic, high VG, bakery/fruit flavored juices. Now, I vape maybe less than 1ml a day, but at 8-12mg, NET juices. Go figure though, different strokes for different folks.

Do I plan on quitting? From my perspective, I already have, some days I don't even bother. I'll vape when I feel like it, rather than feeling like I need to vape all the time, so in that regards, from a PAD habit to picking up a vape now and then, vaping has been a total success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how hard is it to quit, especially compared to smoking. I find vaping doesnt hit that itch perfectly like a red did, Id rather vape but i always have this anxious feeling since i quit. Even when I vape till i get a buzz and a headache. Right now Im vaping a 50/50 6mg mix, In my 26 gauge 1 ohm single coil at 20ish watts.8mg was too much. Anyway off topic, anybody whos quit or taken a break share your experience with me?

I primarily smoke 3s, sometimes 6s if I'm feeling like getting an extra bit of buzz, and I go at it pretty hard. If I've got my mod with me, I'll usually take at least 1 or 2 good hits every minute or so. That being said, there've been times where my mods been dead or Ive been out of juice and I've never felt any sort of craving like I NEED to vape. I never feel like I need to vape during the day either (I usually only vape at home/at friends' houses) so I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to quit at all if I needed to

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its a Nicotine addiction just like Smoking the difference IMHO is the same... Smoking or vaping or using the Gum, Path If I was you and you are going to quite just start cutting your Nicotine until its easier... I have done it quit vaping and its just as hard and for me harder than it was stoping smoking
Then I realized I am a Nictotine addict firstly the method of introduction for me myself does not matter Its just as hard.. At one time before vaping I got so addicted to the Nicotine gum I was spending over 100.00 a week to use it.. Addictions are a bitch

iDIcktc40w

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No lie, I've forgotten my vape before leaving for work a handful of times. Surprisingly did not ruin my day. Hell, quite often I forget to vape on my breaks and it doesn't stress me out any.

Vaping 0mg was easy enough for me to accomplish. I had been a 3mg vaper for a long time before one day, I decided to leave the house with 0mg. Didn't miss the nic even a little. Now, I occasionally vape 3mg for recreational purposes. I keep my tolerance low enough by vaping 0mg that when I vape 3mg, it actually does something really pleasant for me.

That being said, I still do vape... ...quite a lot by vaping standards in fact. But I think that if I didn't enjoy it so much as a hobby or even just saw a real unavoidable reason to quit (such as not being able to afford it,) I would be able to put it down indefinitely.

How that would really shake down in the long run is anybody's guess. Our addiction is a deeply psychological one. Most people who quit smoking succeed for the first month. Many even make it past 3, which is well beyond the threshold for physical habituation and arguably even surface-level mental conditioning.

Unfortunately, regardless of how they quit, by the 6 month mark, roughly half of them have relapsed. People don't give the hand-mouth thing enough credit. I think to pull it off, you have to really examine your habits and their causes. Look at how you cope with and react to stress very carefully. It probably helps to have a lot of control over the biggest stressors in your life... ...or at least be more apt at managing them than you were as a smoker/vaper. That's going to be the most critical and perhaps most difficult step. You have to fundamentally change the way you change the way you feel. That wasn't a typo. I'm serious.

I sometimes wonder if maybe the reason that vaping works so well as a means for quitting smoking has to do with the fact that you are replacing something that fulfills a need rather than eliminating the need completely, the latter of which is something you will likely need to look at doing in order to succeed.
Dropped down to 4.5 mg in my latest batch, today I had to go a few hours without my vape and realized I was getting pissy. Its going to be difficult to quit, and I will probably buy more supplies eventually. Funny thing is I have around 100 ml of nicotine base, but I'm almost out of glycerin. So I might end up making a pure PG juice and drip it lol. Sorry for taking so long to reply, and thanks for your reply.

iDIcktc40w

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its a Nicotine addiction just like Smoking the difference IMHO is the same... Smoking or vaping or using the Gum, Path If I was you and you are going to quite just start cutting your Nicotine until its easier... I have done it quit vaping and its just as hard and for me harder than it was stoping smoking
Then I realized I am a Nictotine addict firstly the method of introduction for me myself does not matter Its just as hard.. At one time before vaping I got so addicted to the Nicotine gum I was spending over 100.00 a week to use it.. Addictions are a bitch
yeah fuck the human brain, somedays i dont even need a vape but do anyways, i need to learn some breathing exercises i think. btw that pic is scary as fuck lol

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dropped down to 4.5 mg in my latest batch, today I had to go a few hours without my vape and realized I was getting pissy. Its going to be difficult to quit, and I will probably buy more supplies eventually. Funny thing is I have around 100 ml of nicotine base, but I'm almost out of glycerin. So I might end up making a pure PG juice and drip it lol. Sorry for taking so long to reply, and thanks for your reply.
You can get small bottles of glycerin at your drug store for a few bucks if that's all you need - more expensive than bulk but good in a pinch for small amounts. Just make sure the bottle is marked USP grade.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

#1 I don't understand a lot of your problem
#2 I probably never will.

I plan on quiting. How soon? March hopefully.

I've brought my Nic down to 2mg, with intent to go to 1mg in this next run of juice. Then zero.

Will I simply walk away? No! My mod, tanks, and at least a couple of bottles of low or 0mg juice will stay close at hand.

I smoked for over 40 years. I even had a period of 3 months that I only smoked ONE cigarette a day during basic training. And still didn't quit.

I generally vape 10-15ml a day. Last week, I vaped 35ml in 7 days, without going nuts. So I know vaping is having a positive effect. But I won't put myself in a high stress environment (work) without something I've become used to having. Whether I actually use it or not, remains to be seen.

I do have a question though. How has DIY become too expensive? Are cigarettes that cheap where you are?

My DIY cost me on average, less than $20 a month. My cigarettes cost me over $400.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Smokes are over 15 bucks here.

I would have had to quit, long ago. That would equal $1300+ a month for me.

The governments all tell us that smoking is as addictive as ******. Yet, they only subsidize the ****** addicts treatment. Strange, don't you think?

Lurl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would have had to quit, long ago. That would equal $1300+ a month for me.

The governments all tell us that smoking is as addictive as ******. Yet, they only subsidize the ****** addicts treatment. Strange, don't you think?

The Province of British Colombia in Canada has actually started or will soon start subsidizing 100% percent of the cost of smoking cessation products for people who sign up. Which is pretty cool. Now all we need is Health Canada to admit that vaping helps you quit smoking...

I'm still new to vaping myself (since mid August of last year), so I cannot possibly answer the OP with any sense of authority. However, I will say that I can identify with many of the things others have already said. Particularly that I can go a whole day without vaping and not feel any particular ill effects. But I do miss vaping when circumstantially this has happened.

I really feel that the rituals involved with smoking, while different do have some analogs to vaping. Not just the oral fixation element, but also the process of preparing to take part in a very specific and intentional behavior. Packing cigarettes/ Filling tanks as an overly simplistic example.

One additional observation is that it appears to be a lot easier to be in control when vaping. You can get essentially the same juice, use the same gear, etc. while choosing how much Nicotine to use. I'd argue that you really cannot do that as effectively with a Cigarette. You can change brands and strengths, but going from a Standard Nic cigarette to a Light or Ultra Light is a dramatic change and a very noticeable, almost traumatic event--or it was for me. Not to mention having to smoke something other than my brand really sucked.

Vaping is very different for me in that regard. I dropped down from 18 --> 12 --> 6 --> 3 mg in a relatively short period of time (basically during the first six weeks, which is similar to typical patch therapy). And it was not hard to do at all... So I suspect that I will probably be able to quit vaping if and when the time comes where I decide to do so.

But again, these are just my observations and opinions; as I have not attempted to quit vaping, there is no voracity here, just my thoughts on the topic.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping 36mg in 2010. Today I'm down to 3mg but vape a ton of more juice. I probably get the same mg of nic back from 2010 from equipment improvement. I never thought about quitting vaping. It's a hobby now. So far I feel fantastic. I'll quit vaping on the day I quit drinking my cafe con leche's. Which probably won't happen ;)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Province of British Colombia in Canada has actually started or will soon start subsidizing 100% percent of the cost of smoking cessation products for people who sign up. Which is pretty cool. Now all we need is Health Canada to admit that vaping helps you quit smoking...

Funny, they were just whining about how unfairly the health care money was distributed among provinces.

I guess they found the money for the cessation program, through the education cuts.

It is an election year, after all.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm still new to vaping myself (since mid August of last year), so I cannot possibly answer the OP with any sense of authority. However, I will say that I can identify with many of the things others have already said. Particularly that I can go a whole day without vaping and not feel any particular ill effects. But I do miss vaping when circumstantially this has happened.

I really feel that the rituals involved with smoking, while different do have some analogs to vaping. Not just the oral fixation element, but also the process of preparing to take part in a very specific and intentional behavior. Packing cigarettes/ Filling tanks as an overly simplistic example.

One additional observation is that it appears to be a lot easier to be in control when vaping. You can get essentially the same juice, use the same gear, etc. while choosing how much Nicotine to use. I'd argue that you really cannot do that as effectively with a Cigarette. You can change brands and strengths, but going from a Standard Nic cigarette to a Light or Ultra Light is a dramatic change and a very noticeable, almost traumatic event--or it was for me. Not to mention having to smoke something other than my brand really sucked.

Vaping is very different for me in that regard. I dropped down from 18 --> 12 --> 6 --> 3 mg in a relatively short period of time (basically during the first six weeks, which is similar to typical patch therapy). And it was not hard to do at all... So I suspect that I will probably be able to quit vaping if and when the time comes where I decide to do so.

But again, these are just my observations and opinions; as I have not attempted to quit vaping, there is no voracity here, just my thoughts on the topic.

I'm doing 2mg and 0mg. It's hard to tell the difference at all at this point.

This next batch will be 1mg and 0mg.

VU Sponsors