Become a Patron!

How do I prevent the room from filling up so much that the smoke alarm goes off?

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
I'm sure you guys have been asked this question a million times by now but I need help...

I live in a basement at my mother-in-laws house. I, however, love to vape and do not want to go outside all the time to do it... The basement typically, if I hit it enough (which is no where near how much I want to hit it), fills up with a tiny fog at the top of the room. Once that fog reaches the smoke alarm, BEEP BEEP BEEP! FIRE BEEP BEEP BEEP! FIRE... you get what I mean.

What's the best way to prevent this from happening? DO NOT TELL ME TO STOP VAPING SO MUCH

Thanks for the help!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some have a small sensor on the front. One way that always works is wrapping it with foil or a grocery bag

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I moved one smoke alarm to a section of the house I don’t go in and threw the other one out the window
(In my own defense one would also go off whenever I used my cast iron skillet)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Use less VG and more PG = thinner clouds, much less annoying. Also, turn down the wattage or temp. Open some windows.

Andria

315jessie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take out the battery or put a fan in the window

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
I live here with my wife though and she's a yeller. I ordered a dehumidifier and haven't used it yet. Was that a good solution?

...she wants me to return it but I'll fight about it if that will do the trick.

Also, I order my vapor from someone local (Yam I am). Absolutely perfect and delicious. Great VG/PG balance in my opinion.

No windows here in this basement.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I live here with my wife though and she's a yeller. I ordered a dehumidifier and haven't used it yet. Was that a good solution?

...she wants me to return it but I'll fight about it if that will do the trick.

Also, I order my vapor from someone local (Yam I am). Absolutely perfect and delicious. Great VG/PG balance in my opinion.

I think if the wife yelled at me about vapor I would send her out with the smoke alarm

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ask the wife if she'd rather you smoke and die early from smoking-related illness.

Tell the wife to count her blessings that vaping is AT LEAST 95% safer than smoking. And a lot less smelly. Some people would bitch at their hanging about an old rope. :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

If you're not willing to modify to make the wife happy(er), you can hardly blame her for being rigid in HER views.

And you're vaping in the basement and she's STILL upset? Geez.

Andria

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to set my smoke alarm off frequently. I got an oscillating fan to keep the air moving. Position it to blow the vapor away from the smoke alarm. Works a charm - I have not set mine off since I added the fan.

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
Beautiful. I'm going to try the dehumidifier and fan approach. I got Alexa to help with turning them on and off appropriately lol.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I had a few good laughs.

... PS: I don't care about making my wife happy in most cases. She's pretty miserable. I love her fiercely though :) Maybe you guys should tell her to back off.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Beautiful. I'm going to try the dehumidifier and fan approach. I got Alexa to help with turning them on and off appropriately lol.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I had a few good laughs.

... PS: I don't care about making my wife happy in most cases. She's pretty miserable. I love her fiercely though :) Maybe you guys should tell her to back off.
Back off Mrs Poppins!!
A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down; like a room full of vapor makes the cigarettes go out.
-in the most delightful way.
(You know you sang that)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm... my husband is 10000000% DELIGHTED that I vape instead of smoke. Hard to imagine a spouse who wouldn't feel that way... unless she's so miserable about your lack of concern for her happiness that she WANTS you to die.

Vaping won't kill you.
Vaping smells a lot better.
Vaping costs a LOT less.
Vaping won't burn holes in your clothes... unless you're a nimrod who carries loose batteries in your pocket with your keys. ;)

Andria

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
Andria, she helped me quit smoking by replacing it with vaping. She says that, unfortunately, burning nicotine + PG + VG at any wattage higher than 8 produces formaldehyde. She's incredibly smart- shes got a PhD and shes in the top .5% of highest IQ people in the world (a member of Mensa). She quit by switching to vaping.

She is forcefully bringing me down in nicotine and not telling me so that eventually I will quit... control freak.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Get a new smoke detector. I recently discovered that shitty old photoelectric smoke detectors in hotel rooms will go off when vaping. these things are cheap and if you get one that isnt photoelectric the problem goes away.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Andria, she helped me quit smoking by replacing it with vaping. She says that, unfortunately, burning nicotine + PG + VG at any wattage higher than 8 produces formaldehyde. She's incredibly smart- shes got a PhD and shes in the top .5% of highest IQ people in the world (a member of Mensa). She quit by switching to vaping.

She is forcefully bringing me down in nicotine and not telling me so that eventually I will quit... control freak.

A lot of insulation and building materials contain all kinds of poisonous chemicals, your grooming products and all of the processed food you eat is chock full of cancer causing agents that are literally killing you slowly. If you live in a city or area with cars and traffic, you are breathing more death from that than you could possibly inhale from vaping. Just saying.

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
The smoke detector we have is painted into the wall so I can't just pull it out because it won't look pretty anymore... DUH!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The smoke detector we have is painted into the wall so I can't just pull it out because it won't look pretty anymore... DUH!
You could hang a pretty picture in its place

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
You probably wouldn't like me. I'm a pretty boring and uninteresting person... and I don't get off my couch much anymore after spending all this money on making my basement smart. Now if I could only figure out how to bypass using the remote control for my TV. On to the next big thing I guess :D

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
We dont have to talk. Some of the best relationships are like that. Just point, and periodically nod in approval or grunt with disapproval.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

She ain't that damn smart if she's falling for that lie about formaldehyde. The only time that shit is produced is if you actually BURN the wick, which is how all those bogus testers got it to form -- by running some little top-coil cheapie atomizers at wattages WAYYYYY higher than they were ever meant to be used.

If you're using good equipment, the wick stays saturated, and you taste nothing burning, then there is NO formaldehyde. It's a lie, spread by those who want to kill vaping.

And robbing you of nicotine will not make you quit vaping. Vaping works for smoking cessation because of the BEHAVIORAL MIMICRY. Nothing else has that, except vaping.

It does sound like she's a control freak. I had to divorce mine, so I could marry a guy who loves me just the way I am -- that included 27 yrs of smoking, before I found vaping. He paid for it, and said very little about it. But is PLEASED BEYOND WORDS that I finally found a way to quit.... ON MY OWN.

Andria

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
Good for you Andria. I'll talk to my wife and see what she has to say about the wick being the culprit for the formaldehyde. It sounds logical.

jwill, it's true, some of the best relationships I have and had were ones where people felt calm and ok with silence. How do I type out a grunt? lol

Heh, huh. *points at TV* Good times.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Good for you Andria. I'll talk to my wife and see what she has to say about the wick being the culprit for the formaldehyde. It sounds logical.

jwill, it's true, some of the best relationships I have and had were ones where people felt calm and ok with silence. How do I type out a grunt? lol

Not sure. We can work that out over time as the relationship blossoms.

Seriously though the smoke detector is the problem, when they get old they suck and start misbehaving. Either bypassing or replacing it is the answer and they are cheap and easy to replace. They pretty much give them away a this point and they are all of a fairly standard dimension.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like this guy. Seems to have his wits about him and is strangely happy in this toxic relationship. Glass half full.

Short version,

1. Your wife's a bitch.
2. The formaldehyde tale is just that, a tale.
3. Dehumidifier wont do much, if anything at all.
4. The basement has no windows so you'll die if there's a fire anyway. Throw the detectors away.
5. Buy a house. I hear most have windows. Some even have ceiling fans.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
At a hotel if you take a shower cap and put it over the smoke detector it will trick it into thinking your not vaping.

I guess this would work at home too.

Of course if the goal is having a working smoke detector while vaping then this is going to be a much harder task.

You may have to move the smoke detector to an altogether different place where vapor doesn't linger as bad.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Now that i read the entire thread:

Just buy a shower cap.

Put it over the smoke detector when going down to the basement.

It's a windowless basement so it's not like the smoke detector is going to save your life anyway.

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
I like this guy. Seems to have his wits about him and is strangely happy in this toxic relationship. Glass half full.

Short version,

1. Your wife's a bitch.
2. The formaldehyde tale is just that, a tale.
3. Dehumidifier wont do much, if anything at all.
4. The basement has no windows so you'll die if there's a fire anyway. Throw the detectors away.
5. Buy a house. I hear most have windows. Some even have ceiling fans.

LMAO. You just made me laugh so hard... in front of my wife. "WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING!? WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?@ WHO aRE YOU TALKING TO!>!>!>!?"

5150sick, the problem is not only about preventing the alarm from going off, it's also about making my wife happy by not having a fog here in the basement.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're pretty much screwed man. There's nothing you can do in a room with no airflow.

If you're set on making your wife happy, I suggest getting a lower powered set up and raising your nicotine level. Go MTL style.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

No need to take my word for it; Dr Konstantinos Farsolinos, a respected DOCTOR, not just some jumped-up self-impressed mensa member, has done considerable work on the formaldehyde lie -- and proved it was in fact a lie. Here's a page of search results from his website on the topic of formaldehyde -- he's done a lot!

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/...formaldehyde&ordering=newest&searchphrase=all

You might also check out this page from Clive Bates' The Counterfactual website, in which he tackles this subject over and over:

https://www.clivebates.com/?s=formaldehyde

Only idiots take zealots' word for anything -- and anti-smokers are the very ESSENCE of zealots, though I usually just call them nazis.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had a list of great THR links, but my recent HD crash ate it along with everything else. :facepalm: But I have recreated it (and this time saved it to my google drive, so I don't lose it again!):

Dr. Farsolinos: http://www.ecigarette-research.org

Clive Bates: https://www.clivebates.com/

Brad Rodu: https://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/

Dr Michael Siegel: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/

Carl V. Phillips: https://antithrlies.com/

Dick Puddlecote: http://dickpuddlecote.blogspot.com/

Christopher Snowdon: https://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/

E-Cigarette Politics: http://www.ecigarette-politics.com/

On those sites, you will find ACTUAL TRUTH AND FACTS about vaping, not just ANTZ lies and zealotry.

Andria

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
You sure she wasn't referring to volts? (Is she sure she wasn't referring to volts?)
Nope. She said that burning liquid above 8 watts causes a chemical reaction that results in formaldehyde. I wouldn't bet against her either. She's really smart... like incredibly smart.

Thanks for the links Andria. I don't have the time to go through all of them, right now at least. I don't want to confront my wife on this though because she will get loud and it will hurt my eardrums.

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
And for the record, my wife may be a bitch, but she is the ultimate badass. She's a trained fighter and loves confrontation. I have so many awesome stories about her that I wish I could just tell.

Long story short, if people harm her or her loved ones she will use anything as a weapon and she will make you regret what you did and she will injure you... badly. She will only kill if someone tries to kill her. "If you're going to use that knife you better kill me because if you don't I WILL kill you." Lady says "You are one psychotic bitch", turns around to get back into her car, throws the knife in the passenger seat, and my wife grabs her by the hair, now disarmed, and drags her out of the car and across the concrete AND THEN put the hurt on. My wife- "I wasn't going to let her get away thinking that I won't hurt her... severely... if she did anything to me or my son."

She had a cheating husband at the time. It was one of his girls. So many stories though seriously. She sent a group of 5 girls home scared to death and seriously injured after they jumped her.

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
I'll be the first to admit that sometimes it looks like I could use a second circumcision, but trust me, I dominate my hoe... and I don't do it with force or abuse haha

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
From your own admission you are definitely not in control of your situation. You are just riding the bus dude.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If it works for you dude. I am not knocking it. I have a feeling you are a pretty funny dude and really sarcastic. In other words, my kind of people.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope. She said that burning liquid above 8 watts causes a chemical reaction that results in formaldehyde. I wouldn't bet against her either. She's really smart... like incredibly smart.

Thanks for the links Andria. I don't have the time to go through all of them, right now at least. I don't want to confront my wife on this though because she will get loud and it will hurt my eardrums.

Like I said.. if she's falling for the formaldehyde lie, SHE'S NOT THAT SMART.

Sure, if you BURN the ejuice, it might do that. BUT VAPING DOESN'T BURN ANYTHING IF YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT!!!!!!!!

But I have to agree with jwill; you're clearly castrated already, so smoking or vaping is the least of your problems. If you don't want to be a man and do whatever YOU think is right, that's certainly your option, and since I've already cast my pearls before swine, I'm outta here.

Andria

Poppins

Member For 1 Year
People typically like me... I just don't like them. Too many monsters out there just waiting for the perfect moment to sabotage everything.

...I can be hilariously awkward though with the shit that I say. I like to border on unacceptable and test my boundaries with people.

I ask a raging narcissist the following-
"How old are you?"
She replies with-
"37"
Me-
"You don't look a day older than 37!"

World. Crushed.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I’m not sure what’s worse...
people blindly following unsupported scientific opinion; rather than, proven scientific fact.
Or
someone blindly/scarily following a person who blindly follows unsupported scientific opinion; rather than, proven scientific fact.

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'd bet against her. Being intelligent does not make one an expert in everything. The smart and humble ones should know that. The smart and arrogant ones don't.

VU Sponsors