Become a Patron!

How do i build coils properly?

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys! Long time since i have had a question here

Im thinking of buying the Wismec Reuleaux rx 300 and tfv12 atomizer. I currently have some 3.6V batteries

I know how to apply new cotton and such, but how do i get a proper wire for my build? I want to use the dual coil or triple coil deck.

I dont have any knowledge when it comes to OHM and steamengine so could someone just make a simple build for me? I just want to know the OHMS i need and buy some prewrapped coils of it.
I want it to be a kanthal wire since i want to dry burn it. I will most likely try out 300W, but not like consistently since i have alot of nicotine. I think i will most likely stay somewhere between 100-230 watts

Thing is, i dont want to learn about OHMS i just want to vape and be happy.
There are always someone having discussions about Ohms and not giving the proper knowledge to it

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you just want to vape and be happy you really need to just stick with tanks and pre built coils.
That's what everybody else does that doesn't care to learn about ohms or coils, just use tanks and pre built coils because it is way safer then trying something that you are unsure of.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Your post indicates the sever lack of knowledge you have with vaping and building.

You are better off sticking to tanks with factory built coils. If you want "clouds bro" buy a TFV12.

P.S. IF you have batteries that are 3.6 volts, you should charge them to the proper level of 4.2 volts.

Someone like you should NEVER be into building, until you decide to actually learn (for your own safety) how to do it safely. Just stick to factory coils....

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just like the rest of us, you gotta pay yer dues.

If you don't want to take the time to learn how to build properly, just stick to tanks with coil assemblies

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or buy Prewrap coils... that way you get perfect. Then you just have to install and wick them....
Not much difference between screwing in a coil head and a couple post screws.

BUT YOU SHOULD STILL EDUCATE YOUSELF. REBUILDABLE OR NOT... THERES STILL A LITTLE BOMB IN THAT BATTERY COMPARTNENT.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont even deal with the prewrap coils if your not going to educate yourself on whats needed to know to build coils then you wont know what to look out for when installing said coils and u will get hurt. just stick with the prebuilt coils provided for your tank

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I currently have some 3.6V batteries

I will most likely try out 300W, but not like consistently since i have alot of nicotine. I think i will most likely stay somewhere between 100-230 watts
In addition to what everyone else said.

What batteries?

If you have a lot of nicotine you have no business being anywhere near 300W and not 230W either.
Either lower your wattage A LOT or lower your nic, or you will have a terrible experience.

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

What batteries?

If you have a lot of nicotine you have no business being anywhere near 300W and not 230W either.
Either lower your wattage A LOT or lower your nic, or you will have a terrible experience.
I was gonna leave that as a learning experience lmao

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

What batteries?

Sadly, the way this thread started out, there is a possibility of Efest or Trustfire batteries being used:headbang:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sadly, the way this thread started out, there is a possibility of Efest or Trustfire batteries being used:headbang:
Yes, lack of knowledge usually leads to buying batteries with the highest capacity and highest fake rating so yes a rewrap, or just highest capacity so yes an ICR.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No im not using any trustfire batteries as i know those are stupid to use in the ecig. I do not use icr either. I currently use Samsung INR18650-30Q 3.6V 3000mAh. If i buy the new mod i will buy Sony US18650VTC4 3.6V 2100mAh as well. Or vtc 5-6. I have 5-6mg nic. I just want someone to tell me what i can use of ohms and not. Like "Just use 3ohms but be careful staying at 300 watt for to long". Just someone to tell me what to buy, i know how to mount the wires, no prob. I just want to know an experienced users oppinion on what i should buy

Cant i just use an ohm chart ? i feel that something like 3.20ohms is perfect. I have the feeling ohm just tells how much power the coil can handle and ohm is the resistance of the coil. It sounds logical in my head that the battery has to consume a balanced supply of power to the coil. And that the coil has a resistance to make sure it does not go to hot!

tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No im not using any trustfire batteries as i know those are stupid to use in the ecig. I do not use icr either. I currently use Samsung INR18650-30Q 3.6V 3000mAh. If i buy the new mod i will buy Sony US18650VTC4 3.6V 2100mAh as well. Or vtc 5-6. I have 5-6mg nic. I just want someone to tell me what i can use of ohms and not. Like "Just use 3ohms but be careful staying at 300 watt for to long". Just someone to tell me what to buy, i know how to mount the wires, no prob. I just want to know an experienced users oppinion on what i should buy

Cant i just use an ohm chart ? i feel that something like 3.20ohms is perfect. I have the feeling ohm just tells how much power the coil can handle and ohm is the resistance of the coil. It sounds logical in my head that the battery has to consume a balanced supply of power to the coil. And that the coil has a resistance to make sure it does not go to hot!

Oh fuck no. 3ohms @350w? Fuck no. Fuck no. And fuck no.
How old is that chart? RJ might be old enough to say, lol.
I might vape a 0.3ohm build at 350 on a $100 bet, but I might have to pretty drunk first. :drunk:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
why not just learn how to do it properly? whats the point in not understanding what you are doing? talking about wanting to vape at a certain wattage is like saying 'ill only use my oven at 500 degrees no matter what im cooking'. you can make coils that will give a good vape at whatever wattage you want. you just have to know how and why coils vape good.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
dghff.jpg

I vape with a DUAL 18650 REGULATED MOD at 0.15 to 0.25ohms with 80 to 110 watts and it's PLENTY of power.

There is no reason to vape like you are in a cloud comp when you are not in a cloud comp but at 100 watts I can fog up my entire bedroom in like 5 minutes without even trying.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you seem to sort of know stuff and not some other stuff.
on this forum the number of people who vape above 100watts is far and few between. those that vape above 200watts are practically nonexistant

a satisfying vape for most people on this forum in below 100 watts. DO most of thos epeople own mods that go to 150?200w?,300w? YES because they mod makers are making them go that high and selling them for cheap so why not have the powerful mod and use it at 50 watts. Thats what alot of people do. And when I say 50watts im being generic some are at 65, some 70, some 45 etc etc

the point Im making is your asking a group of people who very few if any vape regularly at 100+ watts about how to build for the 100-230 watt range
And many of these same people see no reason to vape that high...in fact to many using that many watts seems pointless and silly.

I myself use dual fused claptons ss316l in the 0.2-0.35 range at about 50 watts on 5 devices and I am happy. I have no clue why anyone would want to vape at 100-230 watts but to each their own.

I would think based on my own limited experience 100-230 watts would be very good for anything less then extremely large complex builds. Like in a Me So Horny RDA with 6 coils installed that range might actually be needed to heat that many coils up

If you start going much above 100watts on basic coils you risk burning the cotton and juice

If you are trying to get flavor i suggest starting with dual coil 316L fused claptons 28x2/40 in the .2-.3 range start at 40 watts and work you way up to your happy with heat ad flavor AIm for about 3.5mm ID and 8ish wraps

If you need more clouds with that get higher vg juice

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even that chart is wonky. I don't think you can even make a chart that works right. Every build is different and thus has different requirements and attributes. I like most of my builds around .1-.4 ohms because I use SS and go beefy most of the time. I can make a .9 coil that won't even vape or a .1 that will disintegrate as soon as you hit the fire button. Charts are unreliable so one must take the time to learn what is what and not rely on somebody's opinion of how to vape.

Last edited:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
on this forum the number of people who vape above 100watts is far and few between. those that vape above 200watts are practically nonexistant

a satisfying vape for most people on this forum in below 100 watts. DO most of thos epeople own mods that go to 150?200w?,300w? YES because they mod makers are making them go that high and selling them for cheap so why not have the powerful mod and use it at 50 watts. Thats what alot of people do. And when I say 50watts im being generic some are at 65, some 70, some 45 etc etc

the point Im making is your asking a group of people who very few if any vape regularly at 100+ watts about how to build for the 100-230 watt range
And many of these same people see no reason to vape that high...in fact to many using that many watts seems pointless and silly.

I myself use dual fused claptons ss316l in the 0.2-0.35 range at about 50 watts on 5 devices and I am happy. I have no clue why anyone would want to vape at 100-230 watts but to each their own.

I would think based on my own limited experience 100-230 watts would be very good for anything less then extremely large complex builds. Like in a Me So Horny RDA with 6 coils installed that range might actually be needed to heat that many coils up

If you start going much above 100watts on basic coils you risk burning the cotton and juice

If you are trying to get flavor i suggest starting with dual coil 316L fused claptons 28x2/40 in the .2-.3 range start at 40 watts and work you way up to your happy with heat ad flavor AIm for about 3.5mm ID and 8ish wraps

I vape around 90-120w most of the time. The reason is, I make big coils to for the fun factor in building and I like the flavor and feel of the vape. To each their own, you must find your own vape Nirvana.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I vape around 90-120w most of the time. The reason is, I make big coils to for the fun factor in building and I like the flavor and feel of the vape. To each their own, you must find your own vape Nirvana.
exactly what works for me and what works for you can be quite different

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh fuck no. 3ohms @350w? Fuck no. Fuck no. And fuck no.
How old is that chart? RJ might be old enough to say, lol.
I might vape a 0.3ohm build at 350 on a $100 bet, but I might have to pretty drunk first. :drunk:

I saw those charts when I started in early 2014, when we were all vaping at 8-15w, and 20w was the new OMG 20 freakin watts! Those charts are ANTIQUATED in the extreme. But someone who can't be bothered to even look at steam-engine.org and figure it out, may not know the word "antiquated" either, so it means REALLY FUCKING OLD.

Do yourself and everyone in your near vicinity a huge favor and stick to pre-made coils! And stay below 100w!!!! So you don't end up as the next "vaping is dangerous!" headline!

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Im thinking of buying the Wismec Reuleaux rx 300 and tfv12 atomizer. I currently have some 3.6V batteries

I know how to apply new cotton and such, but how do i get a proper wire for my build? I want to use the dual coil or triple coil deck.

I dont have any knowledge when it comes to OHM and steamengine so could someone just make a simple build for me? I just want to know the OHMS i need and buy some prewrapped coils of it.
I want it to be a kanthal wire since i want to dry burn it. I will most likely try out 300W, but not like consistently since i have alot of nicotine. I think i will most likely stay somewhere between 100-230 watts

There are always someone having discussions about Ohms and not giving the proper knowledge to it
You can learn a LOT by watching coil making and wicking videos on Youtube.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And you don't need to know Ohm's law "by heart".. I certainly don't. But you DO need to consult the various calculators on steam-engine.org and abide by what they tell you! And get some good batteries! NOT Efests or Trustfires or any "bargain" brands, nor ANY batteries from ebay or amazon -- stick to liionwholesale.com and illumn.com and stick to 20A and up, and NEVERMIND the mAh rating! The IMPORTANT thing is the "constant discharge rate" or CDR -- do NOT be swayed by the "pulse" amperage, it's irrelevant!

And please, please, please, stick to pre-made coils and something under 100w, or you really will endanger yourself and everyone around you, and wind up as the next headline making people afraid of vaping.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
<snip>

If you don't want and unwilling to learn the very basics then stay with factory coils.

Seriously

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You are a raging idiot hence why were telling you not to do your own builds just stick with prebuilt coils specific to your tank

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are a raging idiot hence why were telling you not to do your own builds just stick with prebuilt coils specific to your tank

I wasn't gonna come right out and say that ("raging idiot") but I fear you're correct. People unwilling to LEARN probably should just stick with cigarettes, so they can get off the planet faster.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent been on here in like 7 months but everyone that knows me on here knows im a blunt asshole lol

With the calculators available it's beyond simple.

I have zero patience for people who are too fucking lazy to learn about the basics especially when it's easy. Same mentality that gives us a culture of entitled pricks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have zero patience for people who are too fucking lazy to learn about the basics especially when it's easy. Same mentality that gives us a culture of entitled pricks.

Pretty much but hey cant fix stupid lmao

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That's pretty much how I feel about the idiots who say things like "you read too much." No such thing. And certainly the "you think too much." DEFINITELY no such thing.

Anyone unwilling to learn what is necessary to vape well and safely, definitely should just stick to cigarettes. Then all you have to worry about is lung cancer, COPD, and setting yourself on fire -- easy! No thinking required, just fire that puppy up! :facepalm:

Andria

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The reason i want to build coils is so i can dry burn and save money. Also rewick. I dont understand how you can use 0.25Ohm for a 50-100watts. The chart does not show that it is the sweet spot?

I most likely be using the tfv12 dual or triple coil deck. How many watts can you guys vape on those two decks? Some of you say 100watts is much. I need to know the truth here, if i had 6mg nic, would 100watts even be too much? Is 300 watts just an option to have it there but not using it? Im interested in vaping 100%pg to save from buying the PG

And guys what about 3ohms?

Atomizer_Ohms_Power_Chart1.jpg

Or 2.20?
899.jpg

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hehe this thread is funny ...for all the wrong reasons though

OP you need to do a little research there are loads of how to guides in the ask sections if you build your own coils you have to have an understanding of ohms law this isn't something you can bypass it's a necessity to be safe ...it doesn't take a maths or engineering degree to learn it anyone can

Start by looking into how voltage, resistence, current and power affect each other even playing around on steam engine will give you an indication of this ...it will show how much Different resistence builds will drain your batteries, what sort of power is required ...when youve done this come back and ask questions

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nevermind. I just buy 0.20 ohm wires. Some dudes say its the right thing :) as long as i keep myself under 100w

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nevermind. I just buy 0.15 ohm wires and see where it goes. I can see dual coils use 0.15 :)

Sigh well good luck with that don't say we didn't warn you

I'll give you one peice of advice ...dual coils half the resistence ...so you won't see 0.15 in the final build if both started at 0.15 get coils that are 0.3 ....

Thankfully you are using a regulated device so at least it should lock stupidity out ...if you see that message pop up on the device pack it back in the box return it to the shop and let them know you you had the stupidity message displayed in order to ask them what to next

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Hey and many thanks for ur answer. Seems like u are right.Are those okay to use in the tfv12 dual coil deck? https://www.fasttech.com/p/5134604

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sigh well good luck with that don't say we didn't warn you

I'll give you one peice of advice ...dual coils half the resistence ...so you won't see 0.15 in the final build if both started at 0.15 get coils that are 0.3 ....

Thankfully you are using a regulated device so at least it should lock stupidity out ...if you see that message pop up on the device pack it back in the box return it to the shop and let them know you you had the stupidity message displayed in order to ask them what to next
If i have any problems with the coil i just go to the vape shop and tell em to build some for me :) Half the resistance? You mean if that a coil has 0.20 ohm it goes down to 0.10 ohm ?

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If i have any problems with the coil i just go to the vape shop and tell em to build some for me :) Half the resistance? You mean if that a coil has 0.20 ohm it goes down to 0.10 ohm ?

Yes, 2 coils at 0.20 ohms wired in parallel equals a final 0.10 ohms. This is exactly why you need to understand the basics.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yes, 2 coils at 0.20 ohms wired in parallel equals a final 0.10 ohms. This is exactly why you need to understand the basics.

Exactly this^^ Assuming you wire them as parallel in the post and not in series ;) in which case you'll double the resistence

Last edited:

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So when you mean paraell you mean that they hit each other? Or do they have space. I dont understand. I want to be able to get 0.15ohm final. Paraell is basicly binding two coils togheter into one? However i bought some 0.30ohm coils. Thanks for the answers everyone:)

Last edited:

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will buy some 0.15ohm coils then so its final 0.15 in a dual coil series build.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im a little confused right now. I looked up the original dual deck coil for tfv12. It says its at 0.15ohm, is this final or 0.15 on each coil ? I guess its series ?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So when you mean paraell you mean that they hit each other? Or do they have space. I dont understand. I want to be able to get 0.15ohm final. Paraell is basicly binding two coils togheter into one? However i bought some 0.30ohm coils. Thanks for the answers everyone:)

Decks that have 3 posts, two outer negatives and one middle positive will afford you the opportunity to build in parallel or series

Parallel example on here would be 2 coils only sharing the positive post with one leg yet the other leg each having their own negative = half the single coil resistence

Series would share both negative and positive posts = double the single coil resistence

velocity style decks only have a positive and negative post design so are parallel by nature just ensure one leg is screwed into the positive post and the other in the negative

Last edited:

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
NOT Final question, does two coils at 0.15 ohm each mean 0.30 final in series ? Or is this just 0.15 final?

Last edited:

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On your posts you have 2 holes on each assuming it's a velocity style deck ....make sure you don't screw the wires from both coils into the same holes then it will be parallel if they share the same holes it will be series
Aha its paraell because they share the same power. I understand :) I will take the wires in different holes and keep it series

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Aha its paraell because they share the same power. I understand :) I will take the wires in different holes and keep it series
Other way round

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parallel Resistors - 1/Rt = 1/r1 + 1/r2 + 1/r3... etc etc

1/rt =1/r1 + 1/r2 so 1/x = 1/.2 +1/.2
1/.2 (= 5) + 1/.2 (=5) =10
1/10 = 0.1 ohms

Boom, now you are parallel resistorised up.

To hit .15 you need 2 x .3 ohm coils in parallel or a similar combination.

Ignore anything about series, if its a velocity desk you are wiring parallel. You need a floating post in the middle to wire in series :p

VU Sponsors