Become a Patron!

how difficult is squonking?

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi,

I'm a semi-long time (2+ years) user of RTA's and I am going to try squonking.
Got the VT Inbox and the SVA DNA75 clone on the way plus a bunch of BF RDA's.

I was wondering; how difficult is it to get the hang of squonking when you have only RTA experience (never used a RDA)?
Would it be normal for me to oversquonk or sub-squonk (by which I mean: not enough sqounk action leading to dry hits) the first couple of tries?
Or is it something you can estimate quite easily from the get go........

Btw: I have the: maze 1.1, Serpent BF, Dead Rabbit, Peerless se, the Gorge, the Solo (clone), the Mulicber (clone), Wasp nano, UD skywalker and e-Phoenix (clone) on the way....(yea went all in :)
Any tips which would be easiest to start with in regard to over- or sub-squonking?? (building them should be no issue).

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got into squonking a few months ago also straight off of rta's & it's quite easy. You'll see when you have set up everything, you get a feel for when to Squonk. Have lots of squonking fun!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Squonking is the same as dripping.. Difference being HOW the juice is applied. Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve with when and how much to squonk/drip. But it only takes a couple burned wicks to learn..... A GOOD BF atty CANNOT be oversquonked. because in a good BF atty the excess drains back into the bottle. But still you learn control. You learn That if you just squonked.. It's best to take a a few hits and close the air off before pocketing. Build doesn't matter as for squonking.. build the build for the VAPE you like....... The Vape is a big part of determining squonk requirements.

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not difficult at all to get the hang of squonking. I got a cheap mech squonker in July, to get my feet wet. A few weeks later I got an Inbox. Using it with a Pulse22. Would be difficult to oversquonk the thing.

Re: dry hits, it doesn't take long before it becomes automatic to squonk after a few draws. With the Inbox, the bottle feels a little stiff but it only takes a little pressure for a good squonk. You don't have to hit the bottle hard, or multiple times, to saturate the wick.

I strongly recommend that you get a squonk refill bottle. It will make your life much easier.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just watch while you squonk initially...
And if you're gear is working well, and the atty "drains back" after squonking, it's Ok to squonk every couple hits.
A lot of my atties are small, and drain back, and I still do that: puff, puff, squonk - repeat.
:D

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Took me a day or two to get the hang of it then easy peasy.

Just make sure to keep a paper towel on your person in case you OverSqounk.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's a bit like learning to drive a manual transmission. You're gonna stall it out occasionally before you get the hang of it. You may also spin the tires without intending to. But keep at it and will becomes second nature, and you'll have much more control over things than you do with an automatic.

jazzman

"I'm Old, Fat and Ugly with a crappy attitude!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Squonking is not hard at all to get use too. If you are unsure of how much or how long to squeeze the bottle, just remove the cap of the RDA and squeeze the bottle. Look at how much e-liquid is being used to saturate the wick. Or you can just count the number of seconds it takes to get a wet wick. Then after awhile you will just squonk and vape.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It becomes second, or third nature after around a week. I'm starting to wrap 0.25 to 0.30 ohm coils on a 3 mm ID in my sleep. And that's dual coil set, will eventually start wrapping single coils the same.

VU Sponsors