Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
How are Non-Combusted Cigarettes, Sometimes Called Heat-Not-Burn Products, Different from E-Cigarettes and Cigarettes?

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-product...rettes-sometimes-called-heat-not-burn-product

It's the FDA we are talking about so we can't expect them to not use weasel words.
This is as close to an "it's better to vape" as we are going to get:

upload_2019-6-9_22-40-18.png

Notice they had to go with the scary "cancer causing chemicals" line even though the fucking air contains cancer causing chemicals?

It would have been nice to see something like:
"Even though all tobacco products contain cancer causing chemicals, only combustible cigarettes have been linked to cancer at this time"

But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
"Even though all tobacco products contain cancer causing chemicals, only combustible cigarettes have been linked to cancer at this time"
That's not entirely correct. Smoking a pipe or cigars has also been linked to cancer, although the association is not as strong as with cigarettes. Even some non-combustible tobacco products (chew/snuff/dip) carry an increased risk of oral cancers, although that risk is less than any combustible, and the degree of risk seems to be highly dependent on how the tobacco is cured, which in turn determines what level of TSNAs are present in it. Steam-cured Swedish snus are likely the safest, with just about no excess cancer risk at all.

That said, I agree that the FDA is obviously weasel-wording the answer to that question, which clearly should be, "Yes, they are safer. The risk is not zero, but it's definitely lower than smoking cigarettes."

VU Sponsors