Become a Patron!

Hotcig Kubi Pod Starter Kit 550mAh

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Kubi Pod Starter Kit 550mAh from Hotcig. The Kubi Pod Starter Kit 550mAh was supplied for the purpose of this review by Tina from Hotcig.

http://www.hotcigtech.com/show-26-51.html

Introduction

Hotcig got known for their DNA box mods but recently have started releasing devices powered by their own HM chip. Here we see their entry into the ever growing pod system market with the Kubi. With it's cigar shape, rubberised finish and petite size it both looks appealing and is as ergonomic as it comes. The pods are not refillable as far as the warranty goes but housing a ceramic 1.8ohm coil known for longevity i managed to get mine open and have refilled it a few times but it's not straight forward. It outputs a constant 3.5v which gives 7w but seems more and gives a surprising amount of vaper production for such a low powered device, so lets have a little look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Hotcig Kubi Pod Starter Kit
1 x Extra Cartridge
1 x Leather Pouch
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Kubi is a small cylindrical shaped device that has a very appealing cigar look to it, (My wife asked if it vibrates, she must think it looks like something different), the shape and size (it's small) makes it both very ergonomic and pocket friendly. It comes in 6 different colours, made of Stainless Steel it has a rubber paint finish which gives it both a nice feel and look. I received the Black version, it's also available in Grey, Red, Blue, Purple and Silver, all are nice shades of the mentioned colours. The pod is tinted Black and shaped like a bullets head, the device is a tube shape with a Silver band towards the bottom, after the Silver band the device tapers inwards to the base. The front of the device has a little Rectangular LED indicator light towards the top and then on the vertical above the Silver band "KUBI" is printed in a metallic Silver. The base of the device has printed branding and safety marks, central is the micro USB port.

Kubi Specs and Features:

Size: 16 x 16 x 87mm
Battery type: Built-in 550mAh (Battery 13350)
Material: Stainless Steel
Pod Material: PCPG
Capacity: 1.7ml
Power voltage: 2.7V-4.2V
Output voltage : 3.5V
Coil resistance Range: Ceramic 1.8ohm
Food grade material for safe vape
Portable design with anti-leak system
Draw-activated switch without button
Ceramic coil for optimised flavour
Colours: Grey, Black, Red, Blue, Silver, Purple

Bonus Lanyard

The kit includes a rather nice rope style Lanyard with Leather pouch to hold the device.

The Pod

The Pod is shaped like a bullets head and it comes fitted to the device without the coil section (you also get a spare pod). The spare pod has the coil section inserted but their is a o-ring fitted at the base preventing it from closing properly, this o-ring is fitted for that reason because once the coil section snaps properly in place it is supposed not to be opened so is a non-refillable disposable pod. looking inside the open pod you can see the air pipe the coil fits on to and can see a space between this and the outer casing of the pod. To fill simply aim your liquid between the air pipe and the casing, i found once my nozzle was directed properly i found looking at the pod from the outside i was able to see the juice level while filling so i didn't overfill. Once filled you remove the loosely fitted bottom o-ring from the coil section then line up the 2 notches with the 2 cutouts on the pod, when they interlock the pod snaps shut in theory to use until your liquid runs out and then replace with a new pod.
Looking at the base of the pod (which is the coil section), we see the 2 contacts and hole to lead to the membrane switch, the perimeter has a Silver surround which is actually magnetised to secure the pod. Their are also on both sides of the base kidney shaped cutout sections that come in handy when it comes to actually allowing you to refill the pods (this isn't a recommendation, just i did). The pods are tinted Black but find i can easily see the juice level in daylight but when in artificial lighting sometimes found the need to hold it up directly to the light source.

Refilling The Pods

(Disclaimer: The pods are marketed as non-refillable so if you were to try and open them to refill and damage them you are not covered by any warranty)

A bit of a ridiculous disclaimer their as once you have used the liquid inside the pod if you don't try to refill them you would only be throwing them anyway. As pointed out the pod comes with a ceramic coil which are known for their longevity which seems a waste in a non refillable pod but i have refilled one of my pods half a dozen times but it is a bit of a drama. To undo you can get something in the joint between the top and coil section of the pod and just going around the perimeter separate evenly a bit at a time until it separates, i was successful this way but it was an ordeal (If you use a knife then you do so at your own risk). The other way is get something like small pliers and using those kidney shaped cutouts i mentioned on the base to tug the coil section off the main pod, this is far easier but your pliers need to be small and the blunt type.

Only buy the device on the premise that the pods can't be refilled. Because i managed to refill mine doesn't mean you will be successful, i might well break the next pod when i try to open it for the first time as first time is a bit of an ordeal.

Review Continued Below:

VU Sponsors