Become a Patron!

Hospitalized

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was just hospitalized with pneumonia. I haven't vaped in 9 days. Is it a possibility that my Vape and juice gave me Pneumonia?

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Okay, do you buy name brand or house juice?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been vaping for 4.5 years, and have not one; but, two lung x-rays. Both have shown that this former 2PAD smoker shows no lung damage.
I've also had only the same cold and sinus problems that I've had since I was in grade school.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Out of interest Matty did you start with a chest infection and continue to vape as normal?

I only ask as I'm just coming out the other end of having flu been left with this chest infection and don't know whether I should be adjusting my vaping or not until it clears ...

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Exactly the same for me, 5+ years of (chain) vaping without any side effects - other than feeling better, that is
Whatever the reason for Matty's pneumonia, I'd doubt it to be vaping related... but what do I know, I'm no MD...
Sorry you're feeling unwell Matty, best wishes for a prompt recovery

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

TDC123

Member For 4 Years
Just because this subject came up there was a story a year or so ago about a person getting pneumonia and eventually dieing IIRC, They weren't vaping eliquid though. They were vaping some kind of oil, maybe some of that aroma therapy stuff or something.

I reserve the right to have the details wrong just...

Don't vape oil.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I had the flu vaping did not make it better or worse however I was much too sick to do much vaping in any case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just hospitalized with pneumonia. I haven't vaped in 9 days. Is it a possibility that my Vape and juice gave me Pneumonia?

Pneumonia is caused by a bacterium or a virus. Saying that vaping gave it to you is like saying that getting cold gave you a cold or flu. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

On the other hand... have you let someone with pneumonia vape on your mod with your driptip? That's the only possible way that "vaping gave it to you". And I'm not even sure that would work, since PG is anti-microbial.

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
When I had the flu vaping did not make it better or worse however I was much too sick to do much vaping in any case.

Good to know ..I know it's vulgar but managed to get rid of a lot of the stuff sitting in my chest earlier ...think the vaping actually helped that process along almost stopped wheezing now just a slight bit left no bad full on flu gone in 7 days

Hope your pneumonia gets better matty, on a few other forums I've read people saying;

PG can irritate try more VG (equally some say the other way as well more PG if it's bacterial),

Lower nic level for a bit as that will irritate

Try vaping into mouth and throat rather than deep lung intakes

Go for menthol or minty type recipe helps to open up airways

Drink plenty of water keep hydrated

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have COPD from smoking for 50 years and would get pneumonia 2 or 3 times a year. I've been vaping for over 6 years and never had pneumonia since. The answer to your question is no.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno. High VG juice causes vg to collect in my respiratory system. Pneumonia is fluid collecting in lungs....
Vaping 60% Vg and less I have not had any problems, but if I go over 60% VG I develop a hacking cough and hack up vg.

also if you have respiratory issues such as COPD I would be leery of high VG.

I have only had 2 colds in 2.5 years of vaping vs at least 2 per year and more when smoking.

In ANY case hope you get better soon.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had such a violent cough I literally cracked a rib. I am not joking. Vaping didn't do that either tho.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pneumonia is caused by a bacterium or a virus. Saying that vaping gave it to you is like saying that getting cold gave you a cold or flu. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

On the other hand... have you let someone with pneumonia vape on your mod with your driptip? That's the only possible way that "vaping gave it to you". And I'm not even sure that would work, since PG is anti-microbial.

Andria
Andria has it right.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dunno. High VG juice causes vg to collect in my respiratory system. Pneumonia is fluid collecting in lungs....
Vaping 60% Vg and less I have not had any problems, but if I go over 60% VG I develop a hacking cough and hack up vg.

also if you have respiratory issues such as COPD I would be leery of high VG.

I have only had 2 colds in 2.5 years of vaping vs at least 2 per year and more when smoking.

In ANY case hope you get better soon.

That's what I was thinking; high VG to a person with pneumonia sounds like a terrible idea. That shit is so thick, when I tried to vape 67PG/33VG, I could *feel* that shit inside my lungs, it felt like a hairball I couldn't cough up at all, and that night, got woken with one of the worst asthma attacks I've had in YEARS.

But not even high VG would *cause* pneumonia -- but I bet it could make it a lot worse!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I was thinking; high VG to a person with pneumonia sounds like a terrible idea. That shit is so thick, when I tried to vape 67PG/33VG, I could *feel* that shit inside my lungs, it felt like a hairball I couldn't cough up at all, and that night, got woken with one of the worst asthma attacks I've had in YEARS.

But not even high VG would *cause* pneumonia -- but I bet it could make it a lot worse!

Andria
True. This from the ALA:
Anyone can get pneumonia. It's commonly a complication of a respiratory infection—especially the flu—but there are more than 30 different causes of the illness. Older adults, children and people with chronic disease, including COPD and asthma, are at high risk for pneumonia.

also:
Many different germs can cause pneumonia. There are five main causes of pneumonia:

• Bacteria
  • Viruses
  • Mycoplasmas
  • Other infectious agents, such as fungi
  • Various chemicals
If you have viral pneumonia, you also are at risk of getting bacterial pneumonia.

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Out of interest Matty did you start with a chest infection and continue to vape as normal?

I only ask as I'm just coming out the other end of having flu been left with this chest infection and don't know whether I should be adjusting my vaping or not until it clears ...
Nope I started with a very high fever. 103.5 during this time I could hardly walk I was shaking really really bad. They finally found out what it was after a lot of blood work and a chest X-ray. It was horrible!!

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I was the same way. I didn't want food or anything.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nope I started with a very high fever. 103.5 during this time I could hardly walk I was shaking really really bad. They finally found out what it was after a lot of blood work and a chest X-ray. It was horrible!!

Get well soon mate :) At least they got to it in the end and can treat you properly now

Matty102

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Andria
No one but me uses my vape. Also I didn't say that vaping gave it to me. We're did you read that? You need to chill out!

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Matty, get well.

And.....if you even think you hear some hospital staff begin a word with "procto..."
You gather up your split-tail gown and get out of there.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use to have that problem all the time not to mention getting colds and flues and keeping them. Now that I have been vaping I have no problems since.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Although I'm not a health professional, I'd have to say it is highly unlikely.
Agreed, but not impossible esp if other factors are involved.
VG may perhaps provide a good place for germy things to grow?
I know PG does not but VG?

It may also build up in the lungs in some cases.
Seems to for me.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Agreed, but not impossible esp if other factors are involved.
VG may perhaps provide a good place for germy things to grow?
I know PG does not but VG?

It may also build up in the lungs in some cases.
Seems to for me.

Found this from ages ago probably better analysis out there but seems to agree with what you are saying Cromwell as to what that safe blend is I don't know most premium juices tend to be about 70/30 guessing it's somewhere around there?

https://theelectriccigarettestore.w...c-cigarette-is-more-helpful-than-harmful/amp/

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Vape on people goes back to the point of buy your ingredients or juice from reputable companies trying to save a buck here or there for the sake vaping safely just not worth the hassle oh and don't put butter or oil in your ejuice when mixing yourself LoL

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape on people goes back to the point of buy your ingredients or juice from reputable companies trying to save a buck here or there for the sake vaping safely just not worth the hassle oh and don't put butter or oil in your ejuice when mixing yourself LoL

I figure me and the Mrs were killing a carton of smokes every 5 days between us. So every pay period almost 3 cartons. Down here what we were smoking $5.35 a pack, around $52 a carton. A little bit of ciphering and I can buy alot of premium juice along with a couple of mods once I get this all figured out and still come out better than I was.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figure me and the Mrs were killing a carton of smokes every 5 days between us. So every pay period almost 3 cartons. Down here what we were smoking $5.35 a pack, around $52 a carton. A little bit of ciphering and I can buy alot of premium juice along with a couple of mods once I get this all figured out and still come out better than I was.
Now look at the price of a carton, geeezzzz :eek::facepalm:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Same me and the missus used to spend 35 quid a week on tobacco between us (rolled our own) now spend about 60 quid every other month on new juice bits over half the cost saved .....yet she still moans at me when I buy shiny new vape things lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well to be honest most of us make bigger cloudz than you do Andria :)
:cloud::cloud::cloud:

I know... and I really don't get it. I never once considered the size of the cloud of smoke I exhaled when I smoked, and can't for the life of me see any reason to start, just because it's now vapor. I really *like* that vapor dissipates faster!!!

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Actually these days most are more like 30/70; for some damn reason, high VG has become a real fad.

Andria

I've always done VG first so think we meant the same thing lol

Either way I make mine at 75/25 (VG/PG) don't vape for the clouds and it's certainly not a fad just hate the throat hit I get from PG find it a smoother more pleasent vape for me there, I know you like it the other way due to health just for me personally that's where I like my vapes at

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Either way I make mine at 75/25 (VG/PG) don't vape for the clouds and it's certainly not a fad just hate the throat hit I get from PG find it a smoother more pleasent vape for me there, I know you like it the other way due to health just for me personally that's where I like my vapes at

Not just for health... without solid throat hit, I'm just not satisfied. Back when I first started, I got told all the usual, more nic, higher wattage, high PG, etc etc... But I was very sensitive to nic, and had to start at 6mg and slowly work up to 10mg after I had quit smoking, and I can't do high wattage because I require tight draw, and wouldn't want the heat or more vapor anyway... so then I got told about Flash, and i was right on the edge of starting DIY at the time anyhow.... using Flash, and then also WTA, was why I started DIY; also because although 85% PG wasn't rare at all when I started, it gradually changed to how it is now, high VG, and I started having trouble finding good ejuice with PG that high. I've tried VG as high as 33%, and it just renders me unable to breathe, at anything over 15%, but I also hated the near-total lack of TH.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Matty102 sorry to hear this but don't think vaping will cause this, I have had a virus for a few months & don't think vaping has made it worse.

& @AndriaD I don't really understand cloud chasing either, I think it's a total fad.
But you still definitely vape lower wattage than me... haha, I'm vaping at 40 watts with my tarot nano currently. But do spend a lot of time with my Nautilus mini at 12 watts an that's the one tank that has had me off the stinkies for 3 years!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I do 40 VG / 60 PG.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried 60% VG did not work for me
Vaped 50% for quite a while.
Dropped to 40% and like it better.
I vape from 18-40 watts.

VU Sponsors