Become a Patron!

Hohm wrecker g2

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
They seemed like, to me anyway, when they were in here commenting before xmas about them making chips for other mod makers that they didn't want people to know that it was their chip being used in said mods. I agree that kanthal tc was the major selling point but if another mod came out right now with it then we would all know who made the chip, most likely. If they release it later on as a firmware update then it will be less noticeable but the word will still get out and in return sell more mods for said (or rather, unsaid) manufacturers down the road.
they said they weren't allowed to say who they make chips for and also that they remove the XX/NiCr/Kenthal temp control system in those chips. it's basically a stripped down version of the FSK and not the same chip. just the same manufacturer.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, I must have missed that when reading them. My bad. If I knew they had removed the NiCr mode then I wouldn't have been so hopeful for the X200

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, I must have missed that when reading them. My bad. If I knew they had removed the NiCr mode then I wouldn't have been so hopeful for the X200
Kanger claimed the Kbox 200 would tc nichrome and that things been out for about 2 years, several companies have made the claim but the FSK is the only one iv used that does it decently

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger claimed the Kbox 200 would tc nichrome and that things been out for about 2 years, several companies have made the claim but the FSK is the only one iv used that does it decently
Ahhh. I haven't really looked at TC till I got my G2. I just assumed that it was similar to kanthal in the way that it was near impossible to TC. I didn't know that it was an actual thing with different mods. Learn something new every day

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I liked the fact I could do and tried TC with kanthal but after I tried it in SS mode it left me as a feature I now dont care about...just being honest..lol...The kanthal TC mode can easily be left out so its not detectable at least in advertisement..Its a great chip in TC mode with SS...Id like to see other manufacturers using it..I would hope for less cost than DNA mods however.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I pretty much exclusively vape SS in tc. However when I got my Bachelor Nano it came with a beauty of a Nichrome coil pre wicked and pre installed, so I said what the hell. The G2 and Slice both tc it beautifully.

So, the FSK does tc Nichrome.
Confirmed.
Lol.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahhh. I haven't really looked at TC till I got my G2. I just assumed that it was similar to kanthal in the way that it was near impossible to TC. I didn't know that it was an actual thing with different mods. Learn something new every day
Kanthal TC isnt that big of a deal to me, all the coils that I like and that perform well can be made with SS. Some complicated kanthal/nichrome builds, especially when you add ribbon, wont tc for shit on the G2 but the ability to fire the low builds in power mode is great.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I liked the fact I could do and tried TC with kanthal but after I tried it in SS mode it left me as a feature I now dont care about...just being honest..lol...The kanthal TC mode can easily be left out so its not detectable at least in advertisement..Its a great chip in TC mode with SS...Id like to see other manufacturers using it..I would hope for less cost than DNA mods however.
Agreed, was typing at the same time apparently

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried it once after reading how to do it but it didn't thrill me and only found 2 links with info so not sure if I got it right. If you could school me it would be appreciated.
It's too bad there is only one setting for TFR, I set mine up for SS 430.

Wire Wizard on Steam Engine will give you the values when you choose the wire you want and select the Table view.
TFR.jpg

You enter the Res. factor value that corresponds to the 5 temperature values in the TFR setup. The memory slots will only take 3 decimal places and it is a bit of a PiTA to scroll to each value.

Worth a try and you could tweak the numbers if required.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's too bad there is only one setting for TFR, I set mine up for SS 430.

Wire Wizard on Steam Engine will give you the values when you choose the wire you want and select the Table view.
View attachment 75560

You enter the Res. factor value that corresponds to the 5 temperature values in the TFR setup. The memory slots will only take 3 decimal places and it is a bit of a PiTA to scroll to each value.

Worth a try and you could tweak the numbers if required.

I did just that for SS316.

I have some SS430 so I will try out your #'s and see how it goes.

Thank you

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmmm, I have to mess with it more but got some interesting comparisons using SS430 in TFR mode on the Minkin V2 and Sig 213 (155). I also tried it with my Hohm Slice in SS430 mode and Triade DNA250 also in SS430 mode. All of them were set to 430F.

With the Minikin V2 I still felt it was anemic with my normal settings of 430F and about 75 watts, it was blah for me. Then I tried it on my Slice in the SS430 preset but I fucked up and had my power set to 101 watts and coughed up a lung. It should have prevented that but mainly I use XXX mode so I probably did something wrong. Went ahead and rewicked and then tried it on my Triade in SS430 and again got a hot hit. Rewicked again and decided to try it on the Sig 213 (155) since I remembered it has a TFR mode and used the same #'s and finally got a decent vape....who knew. I wouldn't say it was great but it was a success compared to my first 3 attempts.

I am using Unkamen SS430 28g twisted pair dual coil 7 wrap spaced 0.26 ohms.

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmmm, I have to mess with it more but got some interesting comparisons using SS430 in TFR mode on the Minkin V2 and Sig 213 (155). I also tried it with my Hohm Slice in SS430 mode and Triade DNA250 also in SS430 mode. All of them were set to 430F.

With the Minikin V2 I still felt it was anemic with my normal settings of 430F and about 75 watts, it was blah for me. Then I tried it on my Slice in the SS430 preset but I fucked up and had my power set to 101 watts and coughed up a lung. It should have prevented that but mainly I use XXX mode so I probably did something wrong. Went ahead and rewicked and then tried it on my Triade in SS430 and again got a hot hit. Rewicked again and decided to try it on the Sig 213 (155) since I remembered it has a TFR mode and used the same #'s and finally got a decent vape....who knew. I wouldn't say it was great but it was a success compared to my first 3 attempts.

I am using Unkamen SS430 28g twisted pair dual coil 7 wrap spaced 0.26 ohms.
The TFR was just a suggestion, looked like a fun time though. The only RTA I have any Unk SS430 28g in at the moment is the Crius+, with triple twisted duals. There is only one juice that goes through that tank and I haven't had the coils out in so long I should probably check on the Rayon. It vapes great on the VT133, so I just keep filling it. :D

I recently picked up that big collection of cheap Claptons from FT and have been putting them in everything. :giggle: Nothing near what the local builders can spin up, but a lot of fun to tinker with!

Please keep us posted if you get the Minikin V2's TC on par with the FSK or DNA. Tweaking the TFR numbers might make all the difference, if I have the time or inclination I might play with it as well. In the meantime, Juggernaut coils for everyone!!!

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't feel bad. I don't have a slice yet either. There's like 4 or 6 mods that I want now but won't pull the trigger on any of them

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got a couple Slice and they're great, for 29 bucks hard to go wrong, handy for going out mobile and such, but for me they are nowhere near the mod the G2 is, dual 18650 got the edge by far.

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't feel bad. I don't have a slice yet either. There's like 4 or 6 mods that I want now but won't pull the trigger on any of them
I don't feel bad now, I have a Slice inbound! It's a sickness... :giggle:

So what you got on Radar for mods?
Vicious Ant DNA 167?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Slice, boxer, alien, battlestar, mvp4 and there's a new eleaf that has a 5000mah internal battery (not sure the name) that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a couple more...lol

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The TFR was just a suggestion, looked like a fun time though. The only RTA I have any Unk SS430 28g in at the moment is the Crius+, with triple twisted duals. There is only one juice that goes through that tank and I haven't had the coils out in so long I should probably check on the Rayon. It vapes great on the VT133, so I just keep filling it. :D

I recently picked up that big collection of cheap Claptons from FT and have been putting them in everything. :giggle: Nothing near what the local builders can spin up, but a lot of fun to tinker with!

Please keep us posted if you get the Minikin V2's TC on par with the FSK or DNA. Tweaking the TFR numbers might make all the difference, if I have the time or inclination I might play with it as well. In the meantime, Juggernaut coils for everyone!!!

I appreciate the info, never stop learning. If I come up with a better solution for TC on the minikin I will definitely post it.

I am happy using the minikin V2 in power mode just wish it's TC performance matched the asking price. For half the price the Battlestar has better TC performance, it is an excellent mod all around. The Slice kicks both of there ass overall for performance and is usually on sale for $30, 1/3 the price of the minikin V2. Now if we can get an FSK chip in the Minikin V2 or even the Battlestar my dream would be fulfilled.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A little HT love, crossposting from the Slice thread! :D

Well the Blue SE Slice arrived today from VC, nice and quick!

Upon opening it, the case screws were loose and the USB was offset. Almost makes me think this was a refurbished unit. :huh:
The short flat USB cable was just folded over in its space with no tie wrap, but it really didn't need one I guess considering the size.
Shrink wrap was all intact but it's real easy to reshrink a box...

Firmware 1.2.1 was factory installed and after tightening the case screws, I updated it to 1.2.4.
Screwed on the Crius+ with dual simple Tiger coils and popped in a Hohm Grown 26650.
Vaping excellent at 85W for the moment going to play with xXx in a bit. :bliss:

The door was rocking and wobbling around so I took it off and applied a little bend pressure to the needed areas. Now it's rock solid against the frame with no space, no wobble or tape required. That's a good thing about zinc, you can adjust it fairly easily by hand when it isn't too thick.

Sorry for the poor webcam photo, HT gear deserves better photos! :giggle:

slice-jpg.76331

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok finally got to messing around a little more in-depth with this thing. It was great on my SS316 coils but this is indeed a different animal. Right now I have a single 24ga Ka coil wrapped around a 2mm ID @ .65 ohms in my Cthulhu v2. I tweaked out the XXX setting for the coil and man, this is freaking awesome! It's set @ 27.5w and TC @ 460 and XXX is at 3.3% .. it's insane... Now I see why people are buying multiples of these things.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little HT love, crossposting from the Slice thread! :D

Well the Blue SE Slice arrived today from VC, nice and quick!

Upon opening it, the case screws were loose and the USB was offset. Almost makes me think this was a refurbished unit. :huh:
The short flat USB cable was just folded over in its space with no tie wrap, but it really didn't need one I guess considering the size.
Shrink wrap was all intact but it's real easy to reshrink a box...

Firmware 1.2.1 was factory installed and after tightening the case screws, I updated it to 1.2.4.
Screwed on the Crius+ with dual simple Tiger coils and popped in a Hohm Grown 26650.
Vaping excellent at 85W for the moment going to play with xXx in a bit. :bliss:

The door was rocking and wobbling around so I took it off and applied a little bend pressure to the needed areas. Now it's rock solid against the frame with no space, no wobble or tape required. That's a good thing about zinc, you can adjust it fairly easily by hand when it isn't too thick.

Sorry for the poor webcam photo, HT gear deserves better photos! :giggle:

slice-jpg.76331
Sucks on the condition it showed up in but glad you got it squared away. Still they need to firm up there QC.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok finally got to messing around a little more in-depth with this thing. It was great on my SS316 coils but this is indeed a different animal. Right now I have a single 24ga Ka coil wrapped around a 2mm ID @ .65 ohms in my Cthulhu v2. I tweaked out the XXX setting for the coil and man, this is freaking awesome! It's set @ 27.5w and TC @ 460 and XXX is at 3.3% .. it's insane... Now I see why people are buying multiples of these things.
Awesome to hear, glad your enjoying it.

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sucks on the condition it showed up in but glad you got it squared away. Still they need to firm up there QC.

I totally agree on the QC. I thought that these were assembled in China but I could be wrong...

For a little OT info, Asmodus released two new firmware for the Minikin 2, a V38 & V39. I have V38 on mine now and don't see any improvement in SS316 TC. There is a live resistance reading with V38 which is cool.
https://www.asmodus.com/asMODus-Minikin-2-180W-p/asmodus-minikin-2-180-touch.htm

I still run a TCR of 92 with Lightning Vapes SS316L wire. I put a room temp atty on the Minikin, check the resistance with menu and bump it up .02 ohms. I usually run my builds 460F to 480F at 60W single or 80-100W dual, works good enough for me on twisted 26g coils.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I totally agree on the QC. I thought that these were assembled in China but I could be wrong...

For a little OT info, Asmodus released two new firmware for the Minikin 2, a V38 & V39. I have V38 on mine now and don't see any improvement in SS316 TC. There is a live resistance reading with V38 which is cool.
https://www.asmodus.com/asMODus-Minikin-2-180W-p/asmodus-minikin-2-180-touch.htm

I still run a TCR of 92 with Lightning Vapes SS316L wire. I put a room temp atty on the Minikin, check the resistance with menu and bump it up .02 ohms. I usually run my builds 460F to 480F at 60W single or 80-100W dual, works good enough for me on twisted 26g coils.
I think your right on the China assembly but I remember back on the preorder they installed the firmware here in the US.

Good to know on the Minikin V2 update, gonna check it out today. It sure is a comfortable mod to hold and I really like it in power mode.

Thanks again for mentioning the TFR, I am actually enjoying the Fuchai 155...errr 213 using the TFR, big improvement.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apologies if I missed a discussion of this here, but what do people think of this mod's accuracy in reading battery capacity?

I just received mine yesterday. Just had the chance to update the FW and dial in the FSK a bit. Then, today, my girlfriend and I left for a long road trip for a wedding. Decided to bring my new G2 as my sole mod, but somehow managed to walk out without my pack of extra batteries (!!!). So, for the first time in like 4 years I'm vaping with a single set of batteries.

We got in after an ~8 hour drive, and I popped the batteries on my charger (remembered to bring that at least :rolleyes:), just to top them up a bit while we chatted with her parents. When I put the batteries back in, knowing at most they charged up from about 50% to maybe 65%, the mod is reading them at 100% charged! :eek:

When I take a vape, the "correct" charge shows (~65%), but when I'm not vaping, the charge is showing at 100%. Odd, no?......

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Apologies if I missed a discussion of this here, but what do people think of this mod's accuracy in reading battery capacity?

I just received mine yesterday. Just had the chance to update the FW and dial in the FSK a bit. Then, today, my girlfriend and I left for a long road trip for a wedding. Decided to bring my new G2 as my sole mod, but somehow managed to walk out without my pack of extra batteries (!!!). So, for the first time in like 4 years I'm vaping with a single set of batteries.

We got in after an ~8 hour drive, and I popped the batteries on my charger (remembered to bring that at least :rolleyes:), just to top them up a bit while we chatted with her parents. When I put the batteries back in, knowing at most they charged up from about 50% to maybe 65%, the mod is reading them at 100% charged! :eek:

When I take a vape, the "correct" charge shows (~65%), but when I'm not vaping, the charge is showing at 100%. Odd, no?......
This mod reads 100% battery life for a long time but overall the battery life is real good. At least the way I run mine. Easily get all day and the next morning on a charge running between 40 to 70W. Once you break the 90W mark battery life goes down but I still get almost a full day running my velocity at 120 to 130

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This mod reads 100% battery life for a long time but overall the battery life is real good. At least the way I run mine. Easily get all day and the next morning on a charge running between 40 to 70W. Once you break the 90W mark battery life goes down but I still get almost a full day running my velocity at 120 to 130

I noticed that on the 8 hour drive I made yesterday, and am happy about that. But that's not really my question. I found it odd that I put batteries back in it that had probably a 3.7 or 3.8v charge to them, the mod read them as having a 100% charge. Typically, I will only put fully recharged batteries in a mod, so I never would have experienced this if I hadn't left for this trip without my other batteries. So, it's not a big deal or anything. But I was wondering if anyone else had ever done this, and seen their G2 do the same thing.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have noticed that the readout for the battery level is probably somewhat less than accurate as well but I don't know for sure. For what it's worth the one on my DNA box isn't either, unless you are using the same batteries you set the curve for in eScribe.

The good news is that the G2 seems to do really well on battery life, particularly for me since I use a lot of low wattage builds. People ask me why I have a 171w mod if I only use 20-30w when vaping and the answer is simple... the batteries last forever and I can get a couple days out of them before swapping for fresh ones. Well, that and occasionally I like to tinker with more exotic coils from time to time... the power is there if I need it.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I noticed that on the 8 hour drive I made yesterday, and am happy about that. But that's not really my question. I found it odd that I put batteries back in it that had probably a 3.7 or 3.8v charge to them, the mod read them as having a 100% charge. Typically, I will only put fully recharged batteries in a mod, so I never would have experienced this if I hadn't left for this trip without my other batteries. So, it's not a big deal or anything. But I was wondering if anyone else had ever done this, and seen their G2 do the same thing.
What I was trying to get at and after re-reading my post I realize I failed to get there is
I think the mod reads the battery life at 100% until they get to 3.7V because that is where most of these batteries hold at for the longest. They don't stay at a full 4.2V for very long and the way the math is done I feel that it reads as 100% until it gets to that voltage. The batteries last the longest from approximately 3.4 to 3.7V. Alternatively, at the low end of the battery meter performance drops off pretty quick at around 25-30%. I just think hohmtechs battery life algorithm is a little off.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I dug my G2 out the my storage box today and with only one short 'How the Hell do I check the xxx setting?' was vaping my SS 430 dual coils happily.
I was having odd results on a DNA 250 chip and wanted to get a second opinion. Nothing like the FSK for that.

Man, if we could group buy a different enclosure for this chip, it'd be great!

DavidOH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dug my G2 out the my storage box today and with only one short 'How the Hell do I check the xxx setting?' was vaping my SS 430 dual coils happily.
I was having odd results on a DNA 250 chip and wanted to get a second opinion. Nothing like the FSK for that.

Man, if we could group buy a different enclosure for this chip, it'd be great!

Considering the size of the board (4.13 x 2.28 x 0.94 in. (105 x 58 x 24 mm) I'm not sure there's much you could do beyond rounding the corners.

VU Sponsors