Become a Patron!

Hohm Wrecker G2 and Slice first time users guide

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A little HT love, crossposting from the Slice thread! :D

Well the Blue SE Slice arrived today from VC, nice and quick!

Upon opening it, the case screws were loose and the USB was offset. Almost makes me think this was a refurbished unit. :huh:
The short flat USB cable was just folded over in its space with no tie wrap, but it really didn't need one I guess considering the size.
Shrink wrap was all intact but it's real easy to reshrink a box...

Firmware 1.2.1 was factory installed and after tightening the case screws, I updated it to 1.2.4.
Screwed on the Crius+ with dual simple Tiger coils and popped in a Hohm Grown 26650.
Vaping excellent at 85W for the moment going to play with xXx in a bit. :bliss:

The door was rocking and wobbling around so I took it off and applied a little bend pressure to the needed areas. Now it's rock solid against the frame with no space, no wobble or tape required. That's a good thing about zinc, you can adjust it fairly easily by hand when it isn't too thick.

Sorry for the poor webcam photo, HT gear deserves better photos! :giggle:

slice-jpg.76331
Nice! That was fast!

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I now have 3 of my 4 G2's in daily rotation on my desk: 2 with RDA and one with a tank. I have another red one in my vaporcube cart (and actually had a another silver one in there at first) since the half off sale is still on but I really need to stop spending money I don't have..... half off is so damn tempting and I just got a new credit card in the mail yesterday that is burning a hole in my titanium wallet lol.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my G2 yesterday. Gotta say, I like it so far. Mainly I got it to have something with a little more power for when I want to try some of the larger coil builds, but it's been pretty smooth sailing so far in all other areas as well. It isn't quite as comfortable in the hands as some of the other mods out there, but that's not an issue really for me... It took me a few minutes to get used to navigating the menus but that goes for anything new that one isn't used to. I like the temp control, it works very well on stainless so far. I haven't really had time to play with any of the advanced features but I'm sure in good time, I will.

Overall for the money, especially considering the half off sale, it is a grand-slam and a great mod to have in the collection in my opinion.

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just got my g2 today myself. Instantly fixed my flavor problem with SS 316L in temp control vs my Sigelei J150.

Now I've been trying to figure out XXX mode setting for SS 316L just about got it dialed in.

I do have one question though why does my coil seem to read in like .03 higher than on the Sigelei J150. On the Sigelei it reads at 0.23 and on the G2 it reads at 0.26. Wasn't fired recently on both when I installed it on the G2.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Just got my g2 today myself. Instantly fixed my flavor problem with SS 316L in temp control vs my Sigelei J150.

Now I've been trying to figure out XXX mode setting for SS 316L just about got it dialed in.

I do have one question though why does my coil seem to read in like .03 higher than on the Sigelei J150. On the Sigelei it reads at 0.23 and on the G2 it reads at 0.26. Wasn't fired recently on both when I installed it on the G2.

that's normal for different mods to be a little different from each other. as long as it's close you are fine.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my G2 yesterday. Gotta say, I like it so far. Mainly I got it to have something with a little more power for when I want to try some of the larger coil builds, but it's been pretty smooth sailing so far in all other areas as well. It isn't quite as comfortable in the hands as some of the other mods out there, but that's not an issue really for me... It took me a few minutes to get used to navigating the menus but that goes for anything new that one isn't used to. I like the temp control, it works very well on stainless so far. I haven't really had time to play with any of the advanced features but I'm sure in good time, I will.

Overall for the money, especially considering the half off sale, it is a grand-slam and a great mod to have in the collection in my opinion.

G2 is a great mod. Some people don't like its aesthetics but the board is fantastic.... I happen to like the looks as well so it's win win!

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok thanks good to know. I don't actually buy many mods in general. Been trying to quit smoking in general but have never been able to full kick it with vaping. All it does is keep my smoke usage down. Think since the Sigelei upgrade and getting into rda's I've been to keep vaping the longest now in the last 6 months along with getting into building my own coils the last few months. Had quit for quite a few months when I had got the iTaste 2 but ended up getting sick from the chain vaping with it and really high nic levels so I had given up on it for awhile till I got the MVP3 60w then stopped till the Sigelei upgrade.

But this G2 fixed the problem over the last few weeks now with my coils and frying my juices with more advanced coils. Will have to try another alien in it now. The Sigelei would be great for claptons but anything else it was horrible for TC and frying juices.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok thanks good to know. I don't actually buy many mods in general. Been trying to quit smoking in general but have never been able to full kick it with vaping. All it does is keep my smoke usage down. Think since the Sigelei upgrade and getting into rda's I've been to keep vaping the longest now in the last 6 months along with getting into building my own coils the last few months. Had quit for quite a few months when I had got the iTaste 2 but ended up getting sick from the chain vaping with it and really high nic levels so I had given up on it for awhile till I got the MVP3 60w then stopped till the Sigelei upgrade.

But this G2 fixed the problem over the last few weeks now with my coils and frying my juices with more advanced coils. Will have to try another alien in it now. The Sigelei would be great for claptons but anything else it was horrible for TC and frying juices.

Congratulations on getting a great mod. Now you know what many here have known and preached for months. It is indeed an awesome chipset.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pictures don't do it justice. I never cared for it in pics, but as soon as I pulled mine outta the box, I was in love.
No its a lot better looking than the pics show. I don't mind the look at all. Wish I could have got it in black but the blue will suffice just fine.

Might get a black one for a spare down the road since it was just about instant love after first hit off it. Could fry my throat and still taste the flavor like it wasn't hot at all.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just received my Dodger Blue one today! Excited to get it up and running. Just to confirm, I know it's the G2 because the USB update port is under the battery cover, correct?

Congrats, great mod.

I almost didn't get the Blue, already had red, silver and black, after I got it though it quickly became my favorite. The anodized finish pops so much that I was disappointed when I got the blue slice, looks flat and lifeless next to the blue G2.

If I ever find an Orange G2 LE I am gonna pounce (if it is half off...lol) to round out my collection, only color I am missing but it has to be the LE.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats, great mod.

I almost didn't get the Blue, already had red, silver and black, after I got it though it quickly became my favorite. The anodized finish pops so much that I was disappointed when I got the blue slice, looks flat and lifeless next to the blue G2.

If I ever find an Orange G2 LE I am gonna pounce (if it is half off...lol) to round out my collection, only color I am missing but it has to be the LE.

Thanks!

Been out running around all day, so just getting home with the chance to hang out with it a bit. First impression is that it's giving me a heavy dose of nostalgia for my OG Sig 100 days. That baby got me out of the Vamo phase of my vaping life, and regardless of how much more I like the DNA mods I've been using the last two years, it will always hold a special place in my memory.

I'm glad I got the Dodger Blue as well. The other choice was the silver, and even though it hits harder (haha), The blue has a great pop to it. Considering I always go with black mods, it's nice to have a bit of color in my collection.

Now to get the firmware updated, and start playing with the XXX settings. Have a bit of reading and experimenting to do!:bliss:

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so got it updated, and switched it into XXX mode to start checking out what this board can do, which is actually kind of a departure for me, since I'm such a boring wattage vaper typically. As in I run my DNA200 mods in wattage mode only lol.

Am I missing anything? I rock 6 wrap dual basic kanthal claptons in my Boreas. I can see how to adjust the FSK curve in XXX mode, and it's simple to change the wattage. But how do I go about adjusting the temp? Right now, it's set to 700F, and the vape is really nice at 55 watts. I just don't know how to get to the temp adjustment while in this mode. :oops:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok, so got it updated, and switched it into XXX mode to start checking out what this board can do, which is actually kind of a departure for me, since I'm such a boring wattage vaper typically. As in I run my DNA200 mods in wattage mode only lol.

Am I missing anything? I rock 6 wrap dual basic kanthal claptons in my Boreas. I can see how to adjust the FSK curve in XXX mode, and it's simple to change the wattage. But how do I go about adjusting the temp? Right now, it's set to 700F, and the vape is really nice at 55 watts. I just don't know how to get to the temp adjustment while in this mode. :oops:
Three clicks to change from adjusting wattage to temp

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

The temp you set is the max the chip will allow before throttling back the power. @55w you may not be able to reach 700°F in order for the chip to limit anything. For kanthol in xxx mode, I'm pretty sure the % should be less than 10. I'm usually around 3 to 5%, depending on my build.
You can decrease the temp in 50° increments until it gets too cool for you. Then bump it up by 10 until you're happy.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys! I think that's all the information I need to start dialing it in.

I would run this build at 50 watts on the DNA200 devices, because I kind of enjoyed the slow initial ramp up on the first vape, then the claptons would retain enough heat to offer a quicker ramp up on the second/third chain vape. And at 50 watts it wouldn't get too hot for me (I prefer a cooler, though still dense vape). But that is kind of a "macro-level" dialing it in, so I think I'll really like the ability this mod offers to dial in a kanthal vape at the board level.

Just one question, what happens when you enable the AUTO+ TC Control setting?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I would run this build at 50 watts on the DNA200 devices, because I kind of enjoyed the slow initial ramp up on the first vape, then the claptons would retain enough heat to offer a quicker ramp up on the second/third chain vape. And at 50 watts it wouldn't get too hot for me (I prefer a cooler, though still dense vape). But that is kind of a "macro-level" dialing it in, so I think I'll really like the ability this mod offers to dial in a kanthal vape at the board level.

It disables the stick shift TC control...

lol... sorry... couldn't resist...

Someone else will provide a non-smart ass answer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

The device sets the wattage. There are 3 modes. Power save, 51% insanity and maximum insanity depending on how you want your ramp up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheeky bastards :p

Good stuff guys. As much as I appreciate the huge range of adjustments the DNA board offers, I think this mod is more my speed. :idea:
I like both chipsets.... I have two of these and just got my 3rd DNA mod this week. They both have there place and are great chips you just have to decide what your looking for. I will admit Steve has helped me out on the DNA side a ton.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like both chipsets.... I have two of these and just got my 3rd DNA mod this week. They both have there place and are great chips you just have to decide what your looking for. I will admit Steve has helped me out on the DNA side a ton.
I like both chips as well but when I got my first DNA200 mod it wasn't set up. There is a BIG difference between a DNA mod that is setup properly by the end user for there style vape. Steve definitely is a huge resource for DNA mods, I used his ecig file for my VT133 as well. Me and Steve, like most vapers, have differences in what we like though. It was too tame for me, I was a 100% power vaper until I got my first G2.

I have come to really like my Finder DNA167 which came setup out of the box and the settings match my vape style. I finally found an ecig file for my VT75 DNA which has vastly improved the mod, I almost sold it off because I thought it sucked so bad.

For me the real difference between the FSK and DNA is how quickly you can dial the FSK to your liking. The DNA mods have more options and flexibility but you have to have the knowledge to properly use escribe. You also have to have the patience and time needed to learn escribe, I don't have either but I can do basic things.

There both the 2 best chips on the market. I just prefer the FSK chip because I have no interest in spending a lot of time with a software program to get the vape were I like it. There is also the difference of being able to TC any metal, can't say that about the DNA.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love all three, the Fsk, Yihi, and DNA. Each one of them has a unique place in my vape arsenal.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper
Yeah if I don't pickup another fsk I'll probably pickup a dna squonker next since I can never find tanks I enjoy and the inconvenience of having to drip all the time really doesn't suit my lifestyle. It's got worse the last day with my G2 since it seems like ever 3-5 pulls I'm having to redrip now on my goon rda.

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe you guys can help me, I am feeling pretty stupid.

Scenario 1) Kanthal build causes volts and watts to revert to 0. Changing the FSK does nothing to fix the problem. HT said the G2 is not designed for builds, only pre-built Kanthal coils. Build was dual A1 claptons at .22ohms. Works fine in VW mode.

Scenario 2) tried 316L SS build, dual coils at .6 ohms. In SS mode, it will only fire if I have it between 680-700 degrees and 171w. Zero flavor. In xXx mode, will do the oscillating thing but immediately get burnt hits. This is at anything from 50W and above. Tastes like complete crap. Adjusted FSK in .1 increments and it goes from not firing to burning. Wattage drops to max of 59. FSK adjustment begins working around 17.1, anything lower it will not fire and once it does, it's absolutely a burnt hit. Absolutely no flavor whatsoever. And every vape (except watts mode) is COLD. Even at 700 degrees.

I have tried using an Aromamizer Supreme and Limitless Plus RDTA with Fiber Freaks, Cotton Bacon, and Native Wicks. I have used straight Kanthal and 316L, claptons, twisted, you name it. I am also using genuine LG and Samsung batteries with a complete charge.

Watts mode works perfectly. I updated my firmware before I even used the mod. I double checked the firmware updated successfully.

I just want to know why everyone else is getting excellent results, yet mine will not fire unless the settings are way off.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Scenario 1) Kanthal build causes volts and watts to revert to 0. Changing the FSK does nothing to fix the problem. HT said the G2 is not designed for builds, only pre-built Kanthal coils. Build was dual A1 claptons at .22ohms. Works fine in VW mode.

Scenario 2) tried 316L SS build, dual coils at .6 ohms. In SS mode, it will only fire if I have it between 680-700 degrees and 171w. Zero flavor. In xXx mode, will do the oscillating thing but immediately get burnt hits. This is at anything from 50W and above. Tastes like complete crap. Adjusted FSK in .1 increments and it goes from not firing to burning. Wattage drops to max of 59. FSK adjustment begins working around 17.1, anything lower it will not fire and once it does, it's absolutely a burnt hit. Absolutely no flavor whatsoever. And every vape (except watts mode) is COLD. Even at 700 degrees.

I have tried using an Aromamizer Supreme and Limitless Plus RDTA with Fiber Freaks, Cotton Bacon, and Native Wicks. I have used straight Kanthal and 316L, claptons, twisted, you name it. I am also using genuine LG and Samsung batteries with a complete charge.

Watts mode works perfectly. I updated my firmware before I even used the mod. I double checked the firmware updated successfully.

I just want to know why everyone else is getting excellent results, yet mine will not fire unless the settings are way off.
Sounds like you are not resetting the resistance. Are you pressing the fire with no atty on the mod until you get the no atty message everytime you switch tanks?

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing regarding scenario 1... make sure you fire the mod without the atomizer connected before you connect a new build. I have had this happen where it thought the new build I installed was still the previously installed one and either wouldn't fire, or it gave the "Damaged Atomizer" message. Once I reset the mod, it worked fine in TC mode. As far as working with pre-built but not user-built coils, I don't buy that as I don't see a way it could distinguish between the two. I've had good results with custom Kanthal builds and xXx mode.

Regarding scenario 2, here's what I do to set mine...(Again, after resetting the mod for a new atomizer/build) First, I go to steam engine, and make sure of what wattage (heat flux around 200) would make a 'warm' vape for my coils and use that to start, adjusting if needed. Then I set my temperature.. about 460-480 F is where I like to be usually. Then, once the temp and power is set, I go to the FSK curve and gradually bring it up until it fires. I usually go in .5 increments until I find the firing point, then use .1 to fine tune. On stainless for me it's generally been in the neighborhood of 12-16%, usually on the lower end of that range for me.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, go through this thread... http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/hohm-wrecker-g2-and-slice-first-time-users-guide.292147/

Good luck!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I would love to know who at HT told you that mod is not designed for builds only prebuilt coils. Truth be told the mod you have is designed to fire almost everything and anything.

-William Cowper

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My slice was all over the place in tc, too cold one hit, too hot the next.
Besides resetting the mod by hitting fire without an atty, I locked resistance with the mode button and down button at the same time (room temp coil of course). Now it's the best TC I've used.

Most will say you don't have to lock resistance with the fsk chip, I guess no one told my slice about that :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love to know who at HT told you that mod is not designed for builds only prebuilt coils. Truth be told the mod you have is designed to fire almost everything and anything.

-William Cowper

I remember in one of their videos about how to adjust and use the fsk chip the guy said that pre built kanthal coils work best with the fsk chip. I thought that was odd but the mod will obviously work with any coil style.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My slice was all over the place in tc, too cold one hit, too hot the next.
Besides resetting the mod by hitting fire without an atty, I locked resistance with the mode button and down button at the same time (room temp coil of course). Now it's the best TC I've used.

Most will say you don't have to lock resistance with the fsk chip, I guess no one told my slice about that :)
I hadn't tried this yet since they said you shouldn't. Just locked it on all 3 of my g2's (2 rda and 1 rta) and tested it on the RTA and I think I like it better. Thanks for posting your findings.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Using a 0.22ohm ss triple fused 28/38 clapton on the G2 in ss mode. It was working great with resistance unlocked until one day it wasn't. Locked resistance and now it works fine again. May be time for cleaning.

And also, you can't try to reset anything with a warm coil. It really does need to cool to room temp. Otherwise it starts it's calculations with a higher resistance.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have reset the resistance every single time. I have also read every single thread on the mod before it even got here and no one else reports these types of issues.

Going to try locking the resistance to see if that does the trick.

Thank you!
It does sound weird. Call HT have them replace it.

-William Cowper

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I locked the resistance and now it's doing the same thing it was doing on Kanthal, but it's a 316L build. The volts and watts both go straight to zero when I press the fire button. It only fires in wattage mode, or in TC mode with the temp turned to 680F+ and 171W.

I did buy a second one. I'm going to try that one to see if it does the same thing. Maybe this one is defective.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just realized one of the 3 I have out in rotation (1 more stashed) has a bit of wobble on the base as it isn't truly flat/squared off on that side. Meh. Glad I got them half off, would be a little bummed if I paid full price and noticed that plus the battery cover issues that they said they wouldn't due anything about even though at least one of them has slop/play even with batteries removed. Good thing they vape so well but I doubt I will buy anymore. I would rather load up on $40 mods.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I just realized one of the 3 I have out in rotation (1 more stashed) has a bit of wobble on the base as it isn't truly flat/squared off on that side. Meh. Glad I got them half off, would be a little bummed if I paid full price and noticed that plus the battery cover issues that they said they wouldn't due anything about even though at least one of them has slop/play even with batteries removed. Good thing they vape so well but I doubt I will buy anymore. I would rather load up on $40 mods.
cough battlestar cough lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That is at the very top of the short list when I can afford to start stocking up again. I am hoping the size is close enough to my rx2/3 that it will fit in the same belt holsters I got for my rx200s and rx2/3 mods.
i think it's close. not sure if you could measure your RX2/3
but the battlestar is
Compact size: 83mm(Height) * 43mm(Width)

according to the site

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think it's close. not sure if you could measure your RX2/3
but the battlestar is
Compact size: 83mm(Height) * 43mm(Width)

according to the site
I watched a review or 2 the other day and they stack up on each other and appear to be nearly the same. I looked up the specs some time back and think they were the same, or close enough at least, that I was going to buy one or 2 and hope they fit since the holster has some tension adjustment screws to open/close it up some.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Hohmtech has always said the mod is best suited for pre built coils, thats nothing new, as far as SS goes what happens with the SS preset? If you have a solid SS build the preset works great. I dont run any Kanthal clapton/clapton variations on the G2 in tc anymore because they dont work great, they are better in wattage mode. I have 5 FSK mods and they all do tc way differently than each other, the consistency with mine is non existent. I run primarily SS aliens and can switch tanks on my DNA mods without changing a thing, my FSK mods need the temp and wattage adjusted every time. Nothing can touch my G2s in wattage mode, and nothing can touch my DNAs in tc but the FSK SS tc is second and better than most by far

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hadn't tried this yet since they said you shouldn't. Just locked it on all 3 of my g2's (2 rda and 1 rta) and tested it on the RTA and I think I like it better. Thanks for posting your findings.
They say you shouldn't cause once you lock the resistance it disables all the battery saving options it comes with. You'll reduce your battery life is all from what I understand. It won't regulate and adjust the volts, amps the same as it would to get the most out of your battery.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regulating volts is how it regulates temp so it will put out whatever volts are needed to heat the coil to the temp you like. Not sure there would be any difference in battery drain.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They say you shouldn't cause once you lock the resistance it disables all the battery saving options it comes with. You'll reduce your battery life is all from what I understand. It won't regulate and adjust the volts, amps the same as it would to get the most out of your battery.

I remember reading that in the manual.

VU Sponsors