Become a Patron!

HOG v3 Clone vs Authentic

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Ok guys I've been wanting to get a Hammer of God v3 for a while, but I don't have $200 to drop on an authentic. I was curious if the clone is as good as the authentic is. I also have been wanting to maybe get a v2 because of the voltage reader. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance!!!

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think that asking here is the best choice, but I believe there are a few videos addressing this exact topic on YouTube. I was in the same boat about a month ago. I decided to go with the authentic but the guy selling on eBay boned out on the deal. Haven't looked since then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
imo the clone is a pos, its unsafe and i would never recommend it to anyone. when i opened mine and unwrapped it, i pushed the fire button in and it stuck in. potentially very dangerous for a noob. i fixed it so it would work (couple hours to get it working at all), but it started acting weird again about six weeks later. i took it apart and the switch was black from arcing and it was barely able to fire. at that point it was beyond help. half hour of cleaning the contacts would get you a couple days of vaping before it wasnt working again. i got an authentic v3 almost a year ago and its been perfect (havnt even taken it apart yet). highly recommend the authentics if you like series vapes and big atomizers. also got a 3.1 last fall and its also great (different switch).

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Op, I hope you don't mind me asking mach1ne a couple of questions?

Mach1ne, I have a parallel mod (528 Customs/Defiant Designs Squonk) and a series mod (noisy cricket), and I mostly grasp the concept of the HOG. So my question, what is it like to vape? What build do you find most appropriate? Can you build lower than a regular series mod, and if so, do you want to? In real world use do you think the design has merit given the size tradeoff?

To make it easier-

1. What is it like to vape?
2. What build is most appropriate?
3. Can you build lower than on a regular 2 batt mod? Do you?
4. In use, do you find the design to be superior to a 2 batt mod, or is the size tradeoff not worth the benefits?

Thanks in advance.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Op, I hope you don't mind me asking mach1ne a couple of questions?

Mach1ne, I have a parallel mod (528 Customs/Defiant Designs Squonk) and a series mod (noisy cricket), and I mostly grasp the concept of the HOG. So my question, what is it like to vape? What build do you find most appropriate? Can you build lower than a regular series mod, and if so, do you want to? In real world use do you think the design has merit given the size tradeoff?

To make it easier-

1. What is it like to vape?
2. What build is most appropriate?
3. Can you build lower than on a regular 2 batt mod? Do you?
4. In use, do you find the design to be superior to a 2 batt mod, or is the size tradeoff not worth the benefits?

Thanks in advance.

1 - its two sets of dual parallel batteries, in series. it has double the amps, mah and volts of a single 18650. it hits like a regular series box, but you can build a bit lower and it has (imo) crazy battery life (i can get 15-20ml through my aromamizer plus on one charge).
2 - that all depends on your preference and atomizer. you can run it with a petri at .6 ohms if you want, or a 30mm deathtrap with half a pound of coil in it. if you have a series vape you like, its a great choice imo, but it goes a bit beyond that due to the extra amps and the potentially larger atomizers you can use (up to 41mm i think without overhang)
3 - yeah i build at .4 for two battery series and .3 for the hog. my current build is .28 ish worth of 3x28ka1/38 n80 aliens (5.5 4mm wraps i think it was) in an aromamizer plus. i have a similar build in the deathtrap but i arranged the aliens as a zipper coil (single coil atty)
4 - yeah i think its a better battery config than dual parallel or dual series. the size is not really a disadvantage imo. its not huge, its just a funny shape thats not really pocket friendly, and its quite heavy with 4 batteries in it. it depends on how often you have to have a mod in your pocket. for me its just at work, and i have a tiny little work setup specifically for that. the rest of the time i will either leave my mod in the car (grocery store/mall/chores in town), or i am somewhere i can safely put it down nearby (friends house/restaurant etc)

its a great vape imo. i like a pretty warm and quick puff, so i love series vapes in general. it took a bit of experimenting to get used to the coils you need to build for 30mm atties, and a slightly lower target resistance. imo its a great balance though, bigger coils with a slightly lower resistance performs similarly to a regular dual series build, even though they are pulling more power, there is a bit more mass to compensate for. if you get it right its amazing. my aromamizer plus setup is one of the best flavor setups i have ever tried (i have everything from gennys and kayfuns to hogs and quad parallel at high power etc). i would recommend it to anyone who likes series vapes, 30mm atties and hates rampup :cheers:

one note, the v3 and v3.1 switches are different. the 3.1 feels much nicer, but the v3 seems to hit harder by a little bit. i have no way to measure it and collect factual data, but i can move the same atty and batteries from one to the other and it feels a bit mellower, crackles less furiously etc.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors