Become a Patron!

High-power rigs are killing my vaping enjoyment

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Over about a year's time, I reduced from 10mg to 3mg, using even less wattage than with my old Kayfuns, and going thru LESS ejuice -- so now, rather than 10ml of 10mg per day -- 100mg of nic in a day's time -- I use 5ml of 3mg -- 15mg over a day's time.

Is there any wonder I blather incessantly about the Achilles?????????? (or that I naysay the idiot idea that "nicotine is soooooo addictive" -- HOGWASH!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Everyone is different. I've found it quite difficult to reduce my nic, because when I do, I just vape more liquid to compensate and end up at the same number of mg/day. It's taken me the better part of a year to get from 15 to 13, stepping down 0.5 mg/ml at a time, and I'm still going through a bit more juice than when I was at 15.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Everyone is different. I've found it quite difficult to reduce my nic, because when I do, I just vape more liquid to compensate and end up at the same number of mg/day. It's taken me the better part of a year to get from 15 to 13, stepping down 0.5 mg/ml at a time, and I'm still going through a bit more juice than when I was at 15.

I'll concede that, since most vapers don't require WTA just to get free of the bone-deep cravings, and some of us definitely do. I think the fact that I smoked ultra-lights for the last 20 of my 39 yrs as a smoker is the reason both for my essential lack of nic addiction, AND my powerful addiction to the MAOIs -- I probably got over most of my nic addiction while still smoking, since VA Slims Ultra-Lights contain very little nic, and I never did inhale them very deeply, thx to the asthma -- but i was still getting a full pk-a-day dose of the MAOIs.

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am at around 2.5 mg. Been there for a year or so. My next bottle i made is 30% lower see how that works out. If i sleep any better.

I've actually gone up slightly on mine -- now mixing at 3.2mg. Didn't wanna go up any faster, given that I do suffer nic sick very easily, but the 3.2mg seems to be working ok. I might go up to 3.5mg, next mix.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'll concede that, since most vapers don't require WTA just to get free of the bone-deep cravings, and some of us definitely do. I think the fact that I smoked ultra-lights for the last 20 of my 39 yrs as a smoker is the reason both for my essential lack of nic addiction, AND my powerful addiction to the MAOIs -- I probably got over most of my nic addiction while still smoking, since VA Slims Ultra-Lights contain very little nic, and I never did inhale them very deeply, thx to the asthma -- but i was still getting a full pk-a-day dose of the MAOIs.
I smoked ultra-lights (are we still allowed to call them that?) as well. Merit Ultra Lights just about forever followed by Camel Turkish Silver for the last few years after the Merits got hard to find. I also found WTA very helpful early on. It hasn't been in any of my mixes for ages, but I still drip a drop or two on occasion. But in the end, I vape for the nicotine. Put me someplace where I can't vape and I'm looking for the exit -- or the nicotine gum.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I smoked ultra-lights (are we still allowed to call them that?) as well. Merit Ultra Lights just about forever followed by Camel Turkish Silver for the last few years after the Merits got hard to find. I also found WTA very helpful early on. It hasn't been in any of my mixes for ages, but I still drip a drop or two on occasion. But in the end, I vape for the nicotine. Put me someplace where I can't vape and I'm looking for the exit -- or the nicotine gum.

Yeah it's been about a year and a half since I vaped WTA regularly... but now and then, if I'm feeling overwhelmed or massively depressed, I'll add a couple drops to the Achilles. But nicotine really isn't a big thing for me; I've been at 3mg for over a year. Lately I've been finding that I'm a bit scattered, finding it hard to focus sometimes, and I don't think I'm nearly old enough (56) for geriatric dementia... so I've slightly increased the nic, to 3.2mg, and might go to 3.5mg on my next mix. I had planned on staying at about 5mg indefinitely, till all that FDA shit hit the blades last summer, so I figured I should probably go down to 3mg and stay there, to make my stash last longer. But now that we have a couple yrs more breathing room... I'll probably just try to squeeze another liter into the freezer. :D I don't think I really *need* it... but given my gene pool, I think it's a damn good idea to keep using at least a low level of it -- quitting smoking means I might just live longer, and I'd really like my marbles to stay more or less where they are. ;)

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My thoughts on the massive vapor thing and people saying how great the flavor is.

Kinda like eating a Hersheys kiss vs an entire Hersheys bar in one mouthful.
Does not taste any better just more of the same taste.

Bigger is better?

Super Size my vape?
As far as Hershey bars go..... even with small bites the different size bars taste different from each other and the kiss nothing like the rest..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
As far as Hershey bars go..... even with small bites the different size bars taste different from each other and the kiss nothing like the rest..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I actually agree. Not so much taste as mouth feel, the bigger ones are kind of fudgey.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the big bars, the Special Dark is scrumptious.

I'm completely amazed you can tolerate it, it's so bitter. I started buying high-cacao-percentage chocolate bars to get magnesium, but 60% cacao is the least-sweet I can tolerate.

Andria

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I only ever went up to 50 - 60 watts for all day vaping. I took around 3 second drags. With my current 17 - 23 watt adv setups I can hit the 10 second shutoff and almost always do 6 - 8 seconds. Both worked for me, but I also prefer a lower power vape now.

I'm guessing there is no factory coil that will hold up to 6-8 sec mtl drags, so this is really only for the builders? Working 12-15 hour days, and having 10 thumbs, not looking to build, at least not now.

I've gotten by with sub ohm tanks in the 60-70w range, occasionally 80-85. Tried higher, and the airiness off the draw and dehydration factors weren't for me. I reach for some of the older Sense and Uwell tanks, plus the tfv4 once in awhile.

Tried the old Kanger mini again, but the flavor just seemed strange. Is there either a restrictive DL or looser mtl tank, with factory coils that can withstand more than a 3 second hit?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm completely amazed you can tolerate it, it's so bitter. I started buying high-cacao-percentage chocolate bars to get magnesium, but 60% cacao is the least-sweet I can tolerate.

Andria
Yeah is kinda strange considering the problems I have with bitter stuff. Go figure?
Must be a quirk of this human form that I occupy?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah is kinda strange considering the problems I have with bitter stuff. Go figure?
Must be a quirk of this human form that I occupy?

It seems to be a spotty kind of sensitivity -- you're sensitive to most bitter flavors, but not that one; my son is sensitive to a lot, I think less sensitive than you (he can tolerate coffee without milk, but finds tea intolerable); I'm sensitive to a few (turnip greens are absolutely THE WORST!), but can tolerate quite a few -- I used to LOVE gin & tonic, but a lot of folks find it too bitter -- ditto for green olives, which I LOVE!!!!!!!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think to me the Special Dark chocolate tastes kinda like coffee should taste from the smell of ground roast coffee beans?

Cooked greens are horrible things!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think to me the Special Dark chocolate tastes kinda like coffee should taste from the smell of ground roast coffee beans?

Cooked greens are horrible things!

Maybe so -- I know that I enjoy coffee a lot more if I mix a bit of hot cocoa powder into it.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I put a packet of hot chocolate in my coffee when it's cold in the house. Makes me feel warm and cozy. Of course the lap full of dog helps as well.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL sure.
Just like Human ladies never blow a stinkie :)

the
Wife unit one time ran a Weiner dog off her lap with a stinkie.
Such a disgusted look from that dog.
I rolled on the floor laughing.
Literally.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok cool. My son's had some coffee/tobacco stuff in it, so I'll boil it clean and put one of my own builds in it tomorrow -- that would be AWESOME if i could use it, its tight draw is truly amazing, and flavor seems ok too, though it's hard to know for sure, since usually about the time it got broken in, i'd refill and it would start leaking so I'd say fuck this and grab my Achilles. :giggle:

Andria

Ok, @Nailz -- I got the Berserker vaping, and for a marvel -- it's NOT leaking. :D Vapes great, though; I hope this keeps up1

berserker.jpg

I put it on one of the heat sinks I normally use under my Achilles, because the heat sinks are 22mm, and also stainless, which ties in with the stainless/chrome finish of my angled adapter nicely. Otherwise the Berserker would slightly overhang this mod, and since it seems to have a long 510 pin, there's also a pretty considerable gap between the Berserker and the mod -- either the overhang or the gap wold be tolerable, but together, just look shitty. :D Also since I'm using the small Ultem tank, my mouth is closer to the coil, so I thought the heat reduction of the heatsink would be a good thing.

Maybe it's different with the glass tank, but I really wasn't able to put much more than 2ml in this tank; maybe 2.2ml.

Andria

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, @Nailz -- I got the Berserker vaping, and for a marvel -- it's NOT leaking. :D Vapes great, though; I hope this keeps up1

View attachment 94794

I put it on one of the heat sinks I normally use under my Achilles, because the heat sinks are 22mm, and also stainless, which ties in with the stainless/chrome finish of my angled adapter nicely. Otherwise the Berserker would slightly overhang this mod, and since it seems to have a long 510 pin, there's also a pretty considerable gap between the Berserker and the mod -- either the overhang or the gap wold be tolerable, but together, just look shitty. :D Also since I'm using the small Ultem tank, my mouth is closer to the coil, so I thought the heat reduction of the heatsink would be a good thing.

Maybe it's different with the glass tank, but I really wasn't able to put much more than 2ml in this tank; maybe 2.2ml.

Andria

Yea I forgot it came as the 2 mil setup, changed both of mine to the larger glass as soon as I got them :)

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's a known fact that men have a higher tolerance/liking for really high-cacao chocolate than women do.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Milk chocolate only here at my house. Only time I eat dark chocolate is in fudge. Yum.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea I forgot it came as the 2 mil setup, changed both of mine to the larger glass as soon as I got them :)

I just dislike glass for tanks; too heavy, and too fragile. And since my juice is still pretty gunky even at 25% flavoring, it's best I stick with small containers -- that was why I initially had to switch from Kayfuns to RDAs, to prevent so much wastage of juice. 2ml is only .5ml less than I'm accustomed to, with the Achilles.

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I vape especially when i'm out and about in public using a subtank at 0.5 ohms at around 35 watts.
With my Boreas RTA's I vape at 0.15 ohms at 80 to 100 watts. (with 85 watts being my sweet spot)
I do tinker with RDA's and vape at higher wattages but not for more then a few puffs a week.
Sometimes I go months without vaping at over 85 watts.

For me it doesn't matter the ohms or the watts I always vape between 3.5 and 4.5 volts no matter what device i'm using.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just started vaping 4 weeks ago, and I quickly discovered that 150+ watts on a massive atomizer is NOT my cup of tea. I could sit and fog a room out, drain a tank of juice, and somehow not feel satisfied. I find puffing massive clouds for too long just dulls the flavour, and I lose the 'kick' I typically get from a vape.

I slowly started experimenting with lower wattage flavor taylored builds, and they seem much more satisfying. Ordered an Ammit RTA to help with this.

The juice consumption was the number 1 factor for dialing back the watts. Don't get me wrong, I've still got a big cloud setup, but it's my "special" setup, don't use it all day.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I just started vaping 4 weeks ago, and I quickly discovered that 150+ watts on a massive atomizer is NOT my cup of tea. I could sit and fog a room out, drain a tank of juice, and somehow not feel satisfied. I find puffing massive clouds for too long just dulls the flavour, and I lose the 'kick' I typically get from a vape.

I slowly started experimenting with lower wattage flavor taylored builds, and they seem much more satisfying. Ordered an Ammit RTA to help with this.

The juice consumption was the number 1 factor for dialing back the watts. Don't get me wrong, I've still got a big cloud setup, but it's my "special" setup, don't use it all day.

Actually tasting your juice is a lot better then just blowing huge hot flavorless clouds isn't it?

I figured that out too.
I don't even like clouding the house up so there is really nowhere that I like blowing clouds just for blowing clouds.

When i'm out i'm trying to blow the vapor down and away with small amounts of vapor.
That way people don't stare at me like i'm some sort of menace.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a seasoned t*ker, and enjoy big xxxx rips, so the part of me that empties my lungs and CHUGS a vape hit back will never go away. It's such a satisfying feeling. But I only need a few of those throughout the day. Only when I'm REALLY craving for a smoke.

I do agree that blowing huge clouds in public can be a bit strange. We have an entire wave of new generation vapers that are ruining it in my town. Hanging out on main street chooching monster clouds as people pass by, they actually think its funny.

I don't lose flavour on a big hit, but I don't gain any (If that makes sense) It just seems like there comes a point where flavour has peaked, and all you're doing is blowing clouds.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^It does. I vaped two whole weeks on my brit mini when I started 4 weeks ago. It was giving me decent little MTL hits, coils kinda wore out quick though, couldn't get a big enough draw off it either. Lost taste of both flavors I was hitting on the melo 300 2 days after getting it setup. Had to calm down real quick, and I went through probably 30ml of juice in those two days. They were all big hits at 150-180w with a .17 ohm triple coil.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That hadn't dawned on me. Since I've switched to single coil rtas I don't believe I've had vapers tongue. Hmmmmmo_O

Other than one or two days during my first 6 months after quitting smoking (when my tastebuds didn't know WTF! was going on!), I don't think I've EVER suffered it -- and I've been tight-draw flavor-chasing for the entire 3 and a half years. Just enough vapor to resemble what I exhaled when I smoked... that's plenty!

Andria

VU Sponsors