Become a Patron!

High or low wattage

First post here as could not get a answer on other forums not sure why.

I have a Uwell Nunchaku tank and mod. In the tank i have a 0.25ohm coil which is rated between 40-50 watts. Also uwell provides a 0.4ohm coil rated between 45-55 watts.

The nunchaku mod goes upto 80 watts.

I use 80vg /20pg pre made shop bough eliquids with 0mg of nicotine

I vape at 42watts.

Problem is that no matter what eliquid i have tried i keep getting a sore throat and i have been vaping for about 4weeks.

Im not interested in cloud chasing i just want a smooth vape feel so not sure if i am vaping too low that the eliquid is not being vapourised or i am vaping too high it is burning the eliquid. I have tried vaping at 50 watts but feels burnt and also at 30watts but flavour and vape is hardly there.

Does a higher wattage reduce the sore throat or a lower wattage? Would i need to buy a mod and tank that can handle higher wattages to smooth out the liquid more?

Appreciate any help. I really like the vaping world but not the sore throat.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Murghee and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

Lower wattage normally means a cooler vape but once a coil is burnt it is done. Also when first quitting smoking your throat is used to the additional chemicals in tobacco that has a numbing affect. Good Luck

Welcome @Murghee and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

Lower wattage normally means a cooler vape but once a coil is burnt it is done. Also when first quitting smoking your throat is used to the additional chemicals in tobacco that has a numbing affect. Good Luck

Thanks i did understand it would effect me somehow from the change over.

I have tried with new coils that i propeely primed using a youtube video i foun..let the coil sit in liquid for a few hours then did slow low voltage puffs etc

Could you tell me if a warmer higher wattage vape would lead to less sore throats compared to a cooler lower wattage vape?
Im just going off the fact that if i drink something cold i get a sore throat compared to if i drank something hot.

Cheers

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Higher wattage is usually Higher Heat which in my opinion would be more irritating to your throat. Just my opinion and if symptoms persist seek medical attention like it says on OTC medications. Good Luck

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I am in Wattage Mode I run most coils 20-25% less than the recommended wattage but when using Temperature Control I am more at the lower end of the range. This is what I do because I found my sweet spots. YMMV

When I am in Wattage Mode I run most coils 20-25% less than the recommended wattage but when using Temperature Control I am more at the lower end of the range. This is what I do because I found my sweet spots. YMMV

Is that 20% below the optimum ie my uwell is rated at 40watts so i should try like 32watts?

Doing some reading online and ive come across some sites saying if the liquid isnt vapourised as the wattage is too low then you could get sore throats. But if it too high the cotton will burn...god im confused

I like a warm vape medium vape production.

Still thinking maybe i should get a differe t mod and tank so that the coil in the tank can handle a higher wattage range and wont be stressed out...not sure maybe im waffling

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me it is below the Minimum Wattage and I found the sweet spot by starting low and working my way up. This is what you need to do to find your sweet spot or Happy Place. No one can tell you where that is or how to even though some think they can. Good Luck

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU Murghee. Yes you can use coils outside of recommended parameters. Are you chain vaping, if so perhaps the coil isn't cooling enough. For me a smoother vape is a sweet spot between wattage, airflow, and of course the juice. This can vary from juice to juice and will definitely change with different Ω. Rule of thumb is start wattage low and work up 1-2w at a time. You can also experiment with the way you draw/pull your hit; hard short pulls verses longer slower pulls vs steady easy pulls.

Tell us what juices you are using, brand and flavor profile please. Could simply be the juice itself.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Drink more water.. i mean a LOT of water. Also some nut and pastry flavors will irritate your throat. (butter pecan tart for example)
also try opening your airflow a bit and or reducing power.

always start at lower wattage, say 25w in your case and work up until you get to where you like it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
53154739.jpg

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ignore the recomended wattage. Start at 25 and gh o up until you are satisfied. We all have our sweet spot and preferences

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another thing that could be causing the throat issue is nic content. If the nic is too strong, it can do that. If you are using 12 mg switch to 9mg

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Few things can cause it.

- PG increases throat hit, I vape as close to 100% vg as I can get. It resaults in a much smoother taste but the increased vapor production can cause coughing and thus a sore throat.
- Coughing can result in a sore throat if you cough a lot. Vaping is a new sensation for your throat and lungs and it will take time to get used to it. Constantly changing your settings will prolong this because you aren't giving your throat and lungs the needed time to get used to the new sensation.
- wattage can definitely increase irritation as it can cause more vapor production
- going along with wattage, air flow can also have an effect. Could try reducing your airflow to see if that helps.

other stuff..
- flavors can effect your throat. A citrus flavor will have a different throat effect from a vanilla or tobacco flavor. but you said you tried numerous flavors so this may not apply
- an ingredient in the liquid could be causing you discomfort, it is possible to be allergic to pg, vg, or a chemical in the eliquid flavoring
- dehydration can cause your throat to dry and result in coughing and soreness. PG and VG cause dehydration so try taking a sip of water every few hits to moisten your throat.
- airflow #2, besides air through the mod, you could try having a loose grip with your lips to suck in some clean air while taking a hit, this allows easy airflow through the mod with it wide open and at the same time reduces the density of the vaper because you are adding clean air. Or suck in some air after taking a hit before exhaling so the vaper wont sit in your throat between inhale and exhale.

VU Sponsors