Become a Patron!

High-ish-power VW box mod with a spring-loaded pin

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on the market for a sub-100 euro, 30+ Watt box mod with a half-decent enclosure, a USB charge port, and - most importantly - a spring-loaded center pin. I never want a center pin that's not spring-loaded ever again.

I thought I'd have plenty of choice with the recent flurry of high-power box mods (IPVx, Sigelei 50/100 and the likes). But after some research, it seems most of these mods have pretty shitty lids with easy-to-strip screws, and screw-on center pins. The only one that ticks all my boxes is the Dovpo E-Mech, but it looks a bit gimmicky to me.

Can anybody think of another choice for what I'm after?

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Check this one out. SMOK Xpro BT50W Mod

The device looks pretty damn solid. 50W and best of all it has a spring loaded center pin!

"Adjustable 510 connection with non conductive spring"

http://smoktech.com/product_10126.html

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm yes, that would do it indeed. Thanks! Smok is a company whose products I'm almost never disappointed with too, so I might spring for that one. It's a little too early for that device to have made it to my neck of the woods yet though, it would seem...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm yes, that would do it indeed. Thanks! Smok is a company whose products I'm almost never disappointed with too, so I might spring for that one. It's a little too early for that device to have made it to my neck of the woods yet though, it would seem...
Not sure about the off the shelf and vat taxs how it would work out.
How is the import laws there?
Solder skills and diy skills?
I am thinking if you have the skills you could build your own with a fat daddy 510 is you can source the parts down.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can put together a mod - heck, I can even design the circuitry that'd power it. I just don't wanna. Chinese stuff is so cheap it's not worth my time and effort.

At some point, I even had a laser-powered vaping setup prototype working, but the current kanthal-and-wick affair works well enough that I'd rather devote my time to something more productive than vaping hardware - especially considering that I'd have no more than 3 months to make a profit out of my design before being undercut by the aforementioned Chinese :)

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Check this one out. SMOK Xpro BT50W Mod

The device looks pretty damn solid. 50W and best of all it has a spring loaded center pin!

"Adjustable 510 connection with non conductive spring"

http://smoktech.com/product_10126.html

I think I'm going to hold off on the ipv2 for the smok mod.. always make a solid product and it looks really nice

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
But the Smoke still has just the one battery.

IMHO, if you are going to be vapeing at near the 50 watt mark (or even 25 to 30 watts) you will be wanting something with twin 18650's

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
But the Smoke still has just the one battery.

IMHO, if you are going to be vapeing at near the 50 watt mark (or even 25 to 30 watts) you will be wanting something with twin 18650's
Hey, UncleRJ.

I'm a fairly new vaper. I have pretty strong electrical skills, however, but don't understand your statement.

As I can't find any published specs on Smok's new BT50W yet, I'll make some assumptions based on what they have shared. From Smoktech's website: "Constant Wattage from 0.2ohm to 3ohm even at 50watts"

This tells me that the BT50W must be capable of firing below native battery voltage (50W @ .2Ω = 3.16V) up to 12.25V (3Ω @ 12.25V = 50W). If Smok is telling us the truth:

50W @ .2Ω will provide the highest amp draw off the battery with 15.81A. Even with only 90% efficiency, the battery draw would remain under 20A. Therefore a single 30A 18650 should supply the device more than sufficiently.

If we're talking battery charge/life, then two batts in parallel makes perfect sense. But battery life and size of mod is always the trade-off.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The only thing I was trying to say is that I want a higher wattage capable mod to have enough power to last most vapers at least one full day without having to worry about picking up a charge or having to replace their batteries on the run. And I am talking about vapers that do a fair amount (or more) of vaping from dawn to dusk.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a battery or electronic guru but I have listened to vapers with similar devices that are vaping them at higher wattages having to replace the single battery several times a day.

Not something that I am interested in doing myself.

I just guess that I rely more on what I hear from the vaping community at large as opposed to specifications that I will admit to not understanding as well as other folks like you.

What fellow vapers tell me about there devices after owning them for a bit, that I do understand and take to heart:D

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
The only thing I was trying to say is that I want a higher wattage capable mod to have enough power to last most vapers at least one full day without having to worry about picking up a charge or having to replace their batteries on the run. And I am talking about vapers that do a fair amount (or more) of vaping from dawn to dusk.:D

I hear you completely, UncleRJ. I'm hoping, now that vapers are purchasing tens-of-thousands of batteries a year, someone will package them in appropriate form-factors for APVs and not flashlights or RC vehicles. This will make wonderfully small form-factors and long battery life the norm. The iStick is proving awesome form-factor and long-life possible. If Eleaf can get the software right, it will start the revolution.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I hear you completely, UncleRJ. I'm hoping, now that vapers are purchasing tens-of-thousands of batteries a year, someone will package them in appropriate form-factors for APVs and not flashlights or RC vehicles. This will make wonderfully small form-factors and long battery life the norm. The iStick is proving awesome form-factor and long-life possible. If Eleaf can get the software right, it will start the revolution.

I totally agree!

Wondrous things have happened in just the past 18 months with our APVs.

VV was a tremendouse thing at first. And expensive.

VW used to be tremendously expensive. Now just about anyone can afford a decent device.

The Same for RBAs and Drippers.

What does the future hold for us?

Thinking some pretty amazing suff.

And affordable as well!

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on the market for a sub-100 euro, 30+ Watt box mod with a half-decent enclosure, a USB charge port, and - most importantly - a spring-loaded center pin. I never want a center pin that's not spring-loaded ever again.

I thought I'd have plenty of choice with the recent flurry of high-power box mods (IPVx, Sigelei 50/100 and the likes). But after some research, it seems most of these mods have pretty shitty lids with easy-to-strip screws, and screw-on center pins. The only one that ticks all my boxes is the Dovpo E-Mech, but it looks a bit gimmicky to me.

Can anybody think of another choice for what I'm after?

That's about 120-130USD correct?

VaporShark r-DNA will put you over by 60USD, so the only other alternative that comes to mind is to get a clone DNA or SX series mod with a FatDaddys 510 connection.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
a dual 18650 in the revamped hana box called smok 50w would be a gift straight from the vape gods

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
With so many new +50 watt mods with a dual battery configuration coming into the marketplace, just wait a couple of months for the reviews to come in from average vapers like you and me to be available on the forums.

Then make your decision!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i mean a dual 18650 in a hana style mod anywhere with at least 30w, but im already sold on the SMOK box dual or not :)

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
i mean a dual 18650 in a hana style mod anywhere with at least 30w, but im already sold on the SMOK box dual or not :)

Then go find your bliss. The sooner the better!

Heck, I would consider purchasing the thing myself.

If it had two batteries!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I only need 26 watts really. I currently vape single coil atties at 13W at the most, and I want to try a few atties I have bought that don't seem to perform well at all with only one coil. 13 + 13 = 26 :)

A single 18650 gets me through the day at 13W, mainly because I switch mods when I get home. But if I do a long dry-burn during the day and I go out in the evening, it gets pretty close to the limit. So yeah, two 18650s would be pretty ideal for me at 26W.

As for Vaporshark, the rDNA looks great but it's too expensive. Sorry, but I'm not paying that much for a what's essentially a regulated power supply. I'm a skinflint, and 100 euros is already pushing it...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so I've finally made up my mind: I have an E-Mech on order, as well as a couple of stickers to cover the godawful Transformer logo on the mod - what was Dovpo thinking of...

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What's wrong with the transformers? When i get my e-mech I'm gonna name it Grimlock!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's nothing wrong with the Transformers... if you like the Transformers. It looks like Dovpo developped the E-Mech, - an otherwise serious and competent mod apparently - and then at some point decided "Hey, let's associate it with some random teenager franchise!" as if it was a great recipe to drive up sales :)

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking more of the cartoons from the 80's. Maybe they'll make a Constructicon edition....

Xhozt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking more of the cartoons from the 80's. Maybe they'll make a Constructicon edition....
Really want to strip mine and get it repainted in 80's decepticon purple .. ....
but yea to the OP dont overlook the e-mech .. its a work horse .

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so I've finally made up my mind: I have an E-Mech on order, as well as a couple of stickers to cover the godawful Transformer logo on the mod - what was Dovpo thinking of...
My e-lvt version 1 is a work horse as well. I hope the E-mech is just as good for your needs. I was going to suggest the ipv3 or the ipv2s

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Hmmm..... I was gonna get an iPV2 or even a Sigelei, but I'll hold off until these bad boys come out :cool:

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:rolleyes:
I loved my e-Lvt - until my son walked away with it - he liked it, too.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my Dovpo E-Mech in the mail today. It works well! Good little device.

Mine came with optional Transformer stickers, but no logo on the case - thank goodness. Also, it doesn't have a buzzer, nor does it have any option in the menu to disable key beeps or to set an alarm. All it has in the menu is Power On/Off, VV/VW and date/time setting.

Also, the base is flat enough to rest the mod upright more or less safely, the power output seems pretty much on par with what my other mods yield, and the PCB doesn't make any rattlesnake noise when it fires. So I suppose I got a second-gen E-Mech.

Funnily enough, despite it's larger size and the two batteries, it's a bit lighter than my E-LVTs.

So far I like it. I'll see how it fares in the long run.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Small update: after tweaking my coils/wicks, I now run my E-Mech at around 10W with two 32-ga kanthal coils at 0.9 ohm. At that power level, the two batteries last well over 2 days. It's geat!

In my opinion, the big advantage of the E-Mech over the E-LVT is that it accepts sub-ohm setups. It's not really the power, or the display, or even the extended battery life - although I dig that - for low power vapers like me. To be honest, if my E-LVTs could do sub-ohm, I'd probably resell my E-Mech, because I like almost everything else about the E-LVT better. The grip particularly: the E-Mech feels awkward in my hand.

Still, I don't regret buying it: the E-Mech is a fantastic little device. And at that price, for all it has to offer, it's a steal really.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I got my Dovpo E-Mech in the mail today. It works well! Good little device.

Mine came with optional Transformer stickers, but no logo on the case - thank goodness. Also, it doesn't have a buzzer, nor does it have any option in the menu to disable key beeps or to set an alarm. All it has in the menu is Power On/Off, VV/VW and date/time setting.

Also, the base is flat enough to rest the mod upright more or less safely, the power output seems pretty much on par with what my other mods yield, and the PCB doesn't make any rattlesnake noise when it fires. So I suppose I got a second-gen E-Mech.

Funnily enough, despite it's larger size and the two batteries, it's a bit lighter than my E-LVTs.

So far I like it. I'll see how it fares in the long run.

You forgot to mention the flashlight. Sounds stupid but it can come in handy. And the thing is pretty rugged. I have dropped mine a couple of times with no damage to it or the finish. I just wish Jwraps could come up with a wrap for it but they can't due to all the curves and stuff on the enclosure.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've only ever used the flashlight on my E-LVT once, and it highlighted a fatal design flaw:

I was camping one night, and I needed to go pee. I figured I'd use the E-LVT I was vaping at the moment instead of my regular flashlight. I got out of the tent, went into the woods and found a suitable tree. Then I tried to hold the mod in my mouth, to have both hands free to maneuver my wedding tackle. That's when I realized I'd have to hold the entire mod with the atomizer between my teeth to achieve that, since the LED is on the other side. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I managed to wedge the mod between my cheek and my shoulder somehow, but it wasn't convenient.

That won't happen with the E-Mech, since it has the flashlight next to the base of the atomizer. The butt end of that mod is still a lot to hold in one's mouth, but at least it's doable.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

The Xpro is supposed be done by the first week of November, operative word "supposed" .. there are pre-orders for it though, even FC got in on the pre-order action for it.

VU Sponsors