Become a Patron!

HIC's SUGARY ALMOND-APPLE TART (simple! + variations)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Sugary Almond-Apple Tart
recipe (rich, sweet almond pie crust... and sweet apples):

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan

That's it! Shake and vape...and vape..

This might be my favorite pairing ever! The main flavor is sugary, rich, almond-y pie crust. The toasty almond in Marzipan mingles with the rich crust of Apple Pie. Marzipan is a sweet flavoring that makes the apples taste sugar-glazed. Absolutely a gourmet flavor - from just 2 ingredients!

variations I've liked

* add 1% FA Custard to add an almond-cream background (my favorite)
or
* add 1% FA Amber for cider-y apples (my other favorite)
or
* add 1% FA Brandy to make it boozy and cut the sweetness a bit (also tasty)
or
* add 1% FA Jamaican Rum to make it boozy and keep it sweet (for Rum fans)

Interestingly, if you reduce the flavoring by 25% (to 3% Apple Pie + 1.5% Marzipan) the sweetness and pie crust are even more dominant. So if you love the sweet, rich crust, and you don't mind a little less flavoring, try it like that.

Try a slow exhale for extra rich flavor, or a quicker exhale for extra sweetness.
This recipe is especially great using a device that delivers warm vapor.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh man thats good. tried just the apple pie and and marzipan. 2 thumbs up. super simple. was thinking about what to vape tomorrow but didnt want anything I had in the cabinet so I thought Id skim the recipes real fast. seen this right away and knew it would be good. thanks HIC

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mixed this up last nite and it is sooo good! Haven't tried the variations yet, hard to get away from this tank. And, you have another winner!

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got no dang Marzipan. It had a funny name I couldnt spell so Ive never ordered it....... just recived a 12 bottle order today too....Grr..

Here we go again !!

Thanks Hic...... You old juice-makin-maniac....:D

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Got no dang Marzipan. It had a funny name I couldnt spell so Ive never ordered it....... just recived a 12 bottle order today too....Grr..

Here we go again !!
Thanks Hic...... You old juice-makin-maniac....:D

lol! I know how it goes! Torrone is another very Italian flavor you oughtta have. I have some candied fig recipes (for the holidays) that use it and/or Marzipan. Oh, and Whiskey for Santa's whiskey pudding... and of course all the spices. You know, plus any others you don't already have. :D

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HIC's Sugary Almond-Apple Tart recipe (rich, sweet almond pie crust... and sweet apples):

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan

This might be my favorite pairing ever! The main flavor is sugary, rich, almond-y pie crust. The toasty almond in Marzipan mingles with the rich crust of Apple Pie. Marzipan is a sweet flavoring that makes the apples taste sugar-glazed. Absolutely a gourmet flavor - from just 2 ingredients!

variations I've liked

or
or
or

Interestingly, if you reduce the flavoring by 25% (to 3% Apple Pie + 1.5% Marzipan) the sweetness and pie crust are even more dominant. So if you love the sweet, rich crust, and you don't mind a little less flavoring, try it like that.

Try a slow exhale for extra rich flavor, or a quicker exhale for extra sweetness.

This HIC is by far my most favorite bakery vape Ive had since DIYing can see me being on this for a long time very smooth.
the marzipan compliments the apple pie flavouring in a way I cant describe kind of reminds me of cherry bakewell tarts, and that brings me to a question.

do you have any pointers on turning this into or even a recipe maybe for cherry bakewells?

I had thought of dumping FA black cherry into this coz that remindes me of cherry bakewells but ive had quite a few disasters some so bad that even the bin doesnt want to swallow:(.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
This HIC is by far my most favorite bakery vape Ive had since DIYing can see me being on this for a long time very smooth.
the marzipan compliments the apple pie flavouring in a way I cant describe kind of reminds me of cherry bakewell tarts, and that brings me to a question.

do you have any pointers on turning this into or even a recipe maybe for cherry bakewells?

I had thought of dumping FA black cherry into this coz that remindes me of cherry bakewells but ive had quite a few disasters some so bad that even the bin doesnt want to swallow:(.

Dan, sounds like you have a sweet tooth like I do!
I never heard of cherry bakewells, but I googled:
"The tart consists of a shortcrust bakery shell, spread with jam or jelly and covered with a sponge-like topping enriched with ground almonds (frangipane). A Cherry Bakewell is a variation of the tart where the frangipane is covered with a top layer of almond-flavoured fondant and a single half glace cherry."

Based on that, I'd point you to this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-pear-apple-frangipane-fruit-almond-torte.1830/
But instead of pear, I'd use FA Cherry (not black cherry, just cherry), probably the same percentage. I'd probably leave out the Apricot and Cinnamon, but add (0.5%? 1%?) Marzipan. I guess the Brandy wouldn't be necessary, but it would be good. If you have the flavors, give it a try. The key to that great crust flavor is the Apple Pie plus Cookie.

danjc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dan, sounds like you have a sweet tooth like I do!
I never heard of cherry bakewells, but I googled:
"The tart consists of a shortcrust bakery shell, spread with jam or jelly and covered with a sponge-like topping enriched with ground almonds (frangipane). A Cherry Bakewell is a variation of the tart where the frangipane is covered with a top layer of almond-flavoured fondant and a single half glace cherry."

Based on that, I'd point you to this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-pear-apple-frangipane-fruit-almond-torte.1830/
But instead of pear, I'd use FA Cherry (not black cherry, just cherry), probably the same percentage. I'd probably leave out the Apricot and Cinnamon, but add (0.5%? 1%?) Marzipan. I guess the Brandy wouldn't be necessary, but it would be good. If you have the flavors, give it a try. The key to that great crust flavor is the Apple Pie plus Cookie.

I think were onto something here HIC lol only problem I have no FA cherry just FA black cherry cant wait Im on this tomorrow......with black cherry....
ill post results

JayZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey HIC, I finally got time to start mixing your recipes here! at first I was getting a very nice flavor on each recipe I was trying, but it was a bit too weak... and I thought to myself, well, probably that's how it's supposed to be! A soft taste you can do all day, instead a flavor burst on each puff, so I was getting used to, but just with this recipe I noticed that the drops from the ECX bottles are not 20/ml, more like 30/ml drops, so I fixed the ratio and... oh boy.... delicious!!!

Which brings me to my point, how do you guys measure consistently between all the parts in the mix, from vg/pg nic and flavors?

Thanks HIC!!!!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Hey HIC, I finally got time to start mixing your recipes here! at first I was getting a very nice flavor on each recipe I was trying, but it was a bit too weak... and I thought to myself, well, probably that's how it's supposed to be! A soft taste you can do all day, instead a flavor burst on each puff, so I was getting used to, but just with this recipe I noticed that the drops from the ECX bottles are not 20/ml, more like 30/ml drops, so I fixed the ratio and... oh boy.... delicious!!!

Which brings me to my point, how do you guys measure consistently between all the parts in the mix, from vg/pg nic and flavors?

Thanks HIC!!!!

not all drops are alike.. some are bigger than others.
it is best to use percentages.. just my thoughts..

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I noticed that the drops from the ECX bottles are not 20/ml, more like 30/ml drops, so I fixed the ratio and... oh boy.... delicious!!!

I'm glad you like it, JayZ!

You mentioned "measure consistently" - I agree that's the key to best results with any DIY. There are lots of ways to do it.

It sounds like you use drops, and that will work just fine if you ensure a couple of things:
* you must know how many drops/ml you're getting
* use the same type of dropper bottle, syringe, pipette (or whatever is making the drops) for all the flavorings in a given recipe

You could put all your flavorings in the little 3ml bottles from purevapes.com. They make 33 drops/ml, which is easy measuring for recipes. With those, you can make 6ml batches knowing that 1 drop of flavoring = 0.5%. If you need smaller percents, you make a 12 ml batch, where 1 drop = 0.25%. That's a pretty easy method.

Or you could use whatever bottles you have that make 20 drops/ml (that you mentioned above). In that case you could do a 10ml batch knowing each drop of flavoring = 0.5%.

If you have some droppers, you can play with them to find one type that does the number of drops/ml you need, then use that type for all your flavorings when you make recipes using drops. Once you find the bottles/droppers/syringes/whatever that make the size drops you want, buy a bunch and always use them!

As for the vg/pg/nic - I don't mess with that when I'm mixing recipes! I keep a bottle premixed to my preferences. Think of it as unflavored nic base. I use a big bottle with a squirt top for easy dispensing. So when I mix a drops recipe, it looks like this:
- I grab the right sized bottle for the batch I want to make
- add the drops of flavoring
- squirt in my unflavored nic base

It's extremely efficient for me this way. I know precisely how much nic base to squirt in without measuring. I consistently use the same kind of bottle for any given batch size, and I long ago noted where the 'fill line' would be on each size.

As long as you're consistent, you can measure in drops (or percents or weight or drams or...) Just use whatever method is easiest for you to do consistently and efficiently.

JayZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm glad you like it, JayZ!

You mentioned "measure consistently" - I agree that's the key to best results with any DIY. There are lots of ways to do it.

It sounds like you use drops, and that will work just fine if you ensure a couple of things:
* you must know how many drops/ml you're getting
* use the same type of dropper bottle, syringe, pipette (or whatever is making the drops) for all the flavorings in a given recipe

You could put all your flavorings in the little 3ml bottles from purevapes.com. They make 33 drops/ml, which is easy measuring for recipes. With those, you can make 6ml batches knowing that 1 drop of flavoring = 0.5%. If you need smaller percents, you make a 12 ml batch, where 1 drop = 0.25%. That's a pretty easy method.

Or you could use whatever bottles you have that make 20 drops/ml (that you mentioned above). In that case you could do a 10ml batch knowing each drop of flavoring = 0.5%.

If you have some droppers, you can play with them to find one type that does the number of drops/ml you need, then use that type for all your flavorings when you make recipes using drops. Once you find the bottles/droppers/syringes/whatever that make the size drops you want, buy a bunch and always use them!

As for the vg/pg/nic - I don't mess with that when I'm mixing recipes! I keep a bottle premixed to my preferences. Think of it as unflavored nic base. I use a big bottle with a squirt top for easy dispensing. So when I mix a drops recipe, it looks like this:
- I grab the right sized bottle for the batch I want to make
- add the drops of flavoring
- squirt in my unflavored nic base

It's extremely efficient for me this way. I know precisely how much nic base to squirt in without measuring. I consistently use the same kind of bottle for any given batch size, and I long ago noted where the 'fill line' would be on each size.

As long as you're consistent, you can measure in drops (or percents or weight or drams or...) Just use whatever method is easiest for you to do consistently and efficiently.

As always, amazing answer, thanks for sharing, I've sent you a PM

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My "tobacco only" hubby came over to my end table, checking out my pv's. Asked what flavors I had for him to try. ??? Ok, here you go, try these 5 flavors. He TOOK my Sugary Almond-Apple Tart, won't give it back! Lol. Guess I'd better mix a bigger bottle....

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My "tobacco only" hubby came over to my end table, checking out my pv's. Asked what flavors I had for him to try. ??? Ok, here you go, try these 5 flavors. He TOOK my Sugary Almond-Apple Tart, won't give it back! Lol. Guess I'd better mix a bigger bottle....
I forgot about this one. I had to order marzipan back when HIC put it on the forums. I'm gonna mix this up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow..... right off the bat. Extreamly good and well worth mixing this. I know why your hubby chose this one MissWish.

As you said, What a great combo. I vaped it as written and it is great. I then added the custard after about 30 mins of vaping and you were right......fantastic addition. After about an hour, I thought that I would like a little more sweetness in my tart so I just added a breath of Fuji Apple...1%.... Oh My. It gave me the little bit extra sweetness and bolstered the apple up just a smidgen.

All family members loved this in all three confiugurations.

Certified "Bad Ass Vape" !!

Thank you for sharing Hic. :)

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow..... right off the bat. Extreamly good and well worth mixing this. I know why your hubby chose this one misswish.

As you said Hic, What a great combo. I vaped it as written and it is great. I then added the custard after about 30 mins of vaping and you were right......fantastic addition. After about an hour, I thought that I would like a little more sweetness in my tart so I just added a breath of Fuji Apple...1%.... Oh My. It gave me the little bit extra sweetness and bolstered the apple up just a smidgen.

All family members loved this in all three confiugurations.

Certified "Bad Ass Vape" !!

Thank you for sharing Hic. :)

venemous

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made 10ml of this the other night. Tried a few ml and it was wonderful. Added the FA custard and that is amazing, just adds a nice creamy touch to it, vaped a couple more ml of that. When I had about 3ml left I added 2ml of a Sugar Bear clone to it. Turned it from a tart to an almost perfect apple fritter!

@HeadInClouds - I'm new to DIY and having tons of fun trying different recipes. I know taste is very subjective but with this and a few other recipes I've tried the flavors seem to be muted. I may have vape tongue but I wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong. I'm basically taking the percentages and plugging them into my juice calculator and making the batch accordingly. My ratio is 60/40 VG/PG. I should just simply add the percentage of FA flavoring as you've posted in the recipe correct? Do you find that when you make your juices they pop with a lot of flavor or do they tend to develop over time with steeping? I'm just wondering if I've gotten to used to maybe over sweetened juices. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

DeadShort

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your calculator allows you boost flavor percentage, by keeping the flavors in the same balance, just kick it up a percent at a time.
Usually HIC's mixes are good out of the gate, does not need steeping - just a warm bath or two and some shakin'.
I boost them up also, for my dead buds..but not all the time..

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HeadInClouds - I'm new to DIY and having tons of fun trying different recipes. I know taste is very subjective but with this and a few other recipes I've tried the flavors seem to be muted. I may have vape tongue but I wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong. I'm basically taking the percentages and plugging them into my juice calculator and making the batch accordingly. My ratio is 60/40 VG/PG. I should just simply add the percentage of FA flavoring as you've posted in the recipe correct? Do you find that when you make your juices they pop with a lot of flavor or do they tend to develop over time with steeping? I'm just wondering if I've gotten to used to maybe over sweetened juices. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mine are made to shake and vape unless the notes in the recipe say otherwise. There are a few that need to sit a while, mostly spicy ones.

If you want more or less flavoring, don't hesitate. Just keep the ratio between the flavors the same. This one has twice as much Apple Pie, so for a stronger batch try 6% Apple Pie and 3% Marzipan. Or 8% and 4%.

Mine are made to shake and vape unless the notes in the recipe say otherwise. There are a few that need to sit a while, mostly spicy ones.

If you want more or less flavoring, don't hesitate. Just keep the ratio between the flavors the same. This one has twice as much Apple Pie, so for a stronger batch try 6% Apple Pie and 3% Marzipan. Or 8% and 4%.

Thanks I will keep at it!

If your calculator allows you boost flavor percentage, by keeping the flavors in the same balance, just kick it up a percent at a time.
Usually HIC's mixes are good out of the gate, does not need steeping - just a warm bath or two and some shakin'.
I boost them up also, for my dead buds..but not all the time..

I will see if my calculator has this or find one that does. Thanks

ADV_search

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i loves me some apple pie hence my (gambit clone version 1387) gonna have to mix this up 4 sure thanks again hic !!!

ADV_search

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried the custard one .......really fucking good!!!! a ADV for sure ...........just needs a great name to go with the taste........i have been told my names are raunchy........... so i wont name it "cher's snatch" ????? greg almond , apple PIE , custard...........ok yes i see it now .....i might need help ,,,ill just go with almond apple tart =/

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried the custard one .......really fucking good!!!! a ADV for sure ...........just needs a great name to go with the taste........i have been told my names are raunchy........... so i wont name it "cher's snatch" ????? greg almond , apple PIE , custard...........ok yes i see it now .....i might need help ,,,ill just go with almond apple tart =/

HICs's almond apple tart with custard?:p

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

If it helps, you can imagine the "tart" part of the title is an adjective describing Miley Cyrus or other "tart" of your choice. :)

ADV_search

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so like "cher's snatch hat worn by miley cyrus" ?

Perkidan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I made this up and vaping it as we speak. YUMMO as Rachael Ray would say. Next time around I will try one of the variations. I made 15 mils so it should be gone tomorrow. :)

Moolers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Made my first HiC recipe. Made 20ml of the Custard variant. Absolutely beautiful. Tastes like a fancy French tarte. I may bump the flavors up by 25% next time. Thanks for sharing HiC. Much appreciated.

TomHanksDied

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow this is delicious. Thank you. I'm going to drip some cap vanilla custard in it and maybe just a drop of lemon.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Made my first HiC recipe. Made 20ml of the Custard variant. Absolutely beautiful. Tastes like a fancy French tarte. I may bump the flavors up by 25% next time. Thanks for sharing HiC. Much appreciated.

No need to wait til next time, you know. You could just add a little more flavoring to your current batch.

Moolers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
True, even though I never considered that. Only have 10ml left so may as well make another batch anyway.

sharabear

Member For 4 Years

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan

variations I've liked

or
or
or

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Trying it tomorrow. Should have my marzipan.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

LeslieStarshine

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan

variations I've liked

or
or
or

W/ variation FA Custard, two days steeped= AMAZING!!! Definitely a FAV right now!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Made the custard version of this and surprised how as stated for a simple recipe it has such great taste. Lovely almond creamy pie taste. As somebody else stated, this basically IS a cherry bakewell tart without the cherry. I know HIC pointed that person towards another recipe to help make a cherry bakewell tart....but hell, this recipe just needs a tiny amount of cherry taste added to it and it IS a cherry bakewell tart! One of my favourite UK juice vendors had some great juices (there lemon meringue pie still possibly my favourite juice I have tried), there cherry bakewell tart was realistic but a bit dissapointing.....this recipe, if the cherry doesnt alter the other flavours would be exactly what I hoped the vendors would. Have come across a few over hyped recipes on here recently (seem to be a few fan boys to me), but the custard version of this certainly fits the description of "gourmet" flavour.

I am a DIY noob:) and bought my first batch of FA flavors specifically for this mix. I made 30 ML of the custard variety and used Capella's V2 instead at 4% - (I bought some for Jason's white coconut cake mix which made as well). Both turned out way better than expected due for really my first venture into DIY! Thanks HIC!!

The flavor on this one is so almondy, I fucking love it. Marzipan is delicious, it was a little overpowering on the first day but has settled down nicely after a few. I can't really taste any apple pie though, maybe I used too much custard?? I have probably around 25 Ml left, Can I add another drop or two of FA apple pie or will that be too much?

Looking forward to trying out more recipes

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
... and used Capella's V2 instead at 4%... I can't really taste any apple pie though, maybe I used too much custard?? I have probably around 25 Ml left, Can I add another drop or two of FA apple pie or will that be too much?

Looking forward to trying out more recipes

The Capella flavor covered up the apple pie. 1% FA Custard tastes veryvery different than 4% Capella Custard. No reason to not experiment, but I have no idea how much more Apple Pie you'd need to taste it with the Capella.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You picked two of the best ones in my personal opinion to start with, jasons white coconut cake was along with Jays Caramel Apple the two I mixed first. Not sure if it was the surprise at how good DIY juice can be being the first two or if they just are that good, but still two of my favourites a good 50+ recipes later. The apple pie concentrate is more a pie crust taste than an apple pie though (you will see it in lots of recipes on here to add a crust to recipes). If you have it I would add FA Fuji or Apple to make it more apple pie tasting, however you will probably notice the apple pie in the flavour more now if you are looking for a pie crust taste than an actual apple pie. Not sure if this would change the profile totally though maybe HIC can comment on that. Personally I love it FOR the lovely almond taste it brings with the custard variation. When I make it again will definately try with some cherry as it really is so much like a cherry bakewell tart of course minus the cherry. This for me is probably the best recipe on here in terms of being so simple for a beginner to mix and so rewarding for something that simple.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ahhh yes, I didnt even notice used capella rather than flavour art custard :)

VU Sponsors