Become a Patron!

HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

HIC has given enough to this community. He owes us nothing but we will always owe him.
I agree he gave a lot to the DIY community and give high regards but I think his departure was less than professional. You can agree to disagree but you cannot dismiss a demand that being professional calls for period.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree he gave a lot to the DIY community and give high regards but I think his departure was less than professional. You can agree to disagree but you cannot dismiss a demand that being professional calls for period.
Without knowing the exact reason for his absence, you're in no position to determine that imo. When someone who has helped a large number of people on their diy journey is suddenly missing, the natural human tendency is not to feel "disrespected" imo; it's to feel worried.

I'll put it this way, if something bad has happened then I am sorry, he has an excuse. But if he is fine and just bailed, it's not, I demand better from people. I am not trying to be disrespectful or hateful. I love DIY just as much as anyone here.I am one of the types that expect more and I wish everyone here well. I am sorry for everyones loss of a mentor here. It is sad, I hope everyone understands my position.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'll put it this way, if something bad has happened then I am sorry, he has an excuse. But if he is fine and just bailed, it's not, I demand better from people. I am not trying to be disrespectful or hateful. I love DIY just as much as anyone here.I am one of the types that expect more and I wish everyone here well. I am sorry for everyones loss of a mentor here. It is sad, I hope everyone understands my position.

And you've made 7 posts since 2015? If I were you I think I'd keep my demands to myself. Looks to me like you've no right to demand anything from HIC or anyone else here. What do you do? Pop in just when you need something, then leave again and don't contribute anything until the next time you need something? Jesus, the nerve.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And you've made 7 posts since 2015? If I were you I think I'd keep my demands to myself. Looks to me like you've no right to demand anything from HIC or anyone else here. What do you do? Pop in just when you need something, then leave again and don't contribute anything until the next time you need something? Jesus, the nerve.
And this ^^^^^. Love me some feisty Nada!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And who are you, again? Back down, my dude.......

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC being such a voice and inspiration in the DIY community saddens me that he couldn't tell his peers what is going on. At the very least say goodbye. It's as if DIY was never as important as he let on. Not to insult, maybe he has a good reason but as time goes by with no word, I feel disrespected by a mentor. He could have done all of us one better than this, at least one.
Did you ever consider that he may not be able to respond before you decided to run him down??

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Without knowing the exact reason for his absence, you're in no position to determine that imo. When someone who has helped a large number of people on their diy journey is suddenly missing, the natural human tendency is not to feel "disrespected" imo; it's to feel worried.
Which we all have been for a while now.....:(

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The role of a mentor is to help you reach independence. HIC did a rather admirable job in that sense. We are all better mixers because he generously shared his knowledge and insights. This is why I personally do not understand your position or point.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You "demand"? You "expect"? Sorry. HIC is not a "professional", he is a very talented and generous mixer that has given tremendously to DIY.
I'm glad that you love to mix, but please have some respect for others that give so much.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You "demand"? You "expect"? Sorry. HIC is not a "professional", he is a very talented and generous mixer that has given tremendously to DIY.
I'm glad that you love to mix, but please have some respect for others that give so much.
While I agree with your sentiment HIC does sell some of his recipes and believe he did some work for FA.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Several of us have been through the DIY experience with HIC from the beginning. Some of us felt completely baffled on what to do with any of the flavors we had purchased, HIC had a real talent for learning about what makes flavors work like they do. Incredibly talented, and absolutely brilliant. 6 years have passed since I bumped into HIC at another forum, and it was incredible journey.

People have lives outside of vaping, and that would take precedence for any one of us. I've learned a lot from HIC. HIC taught me how to use flavors in ways I never knew were possible. I'll never be the brilliant, talented mixer that he has been, but I can make juice. Me, I'm just grateful. HIC was instrumental in helping me to stay further away from cigarettes. After 6 years, I feel like it's on me to continue to mix. This thread does still serve a purpose in it's own way, and I'm sure anyone new to the game that stumbles upon it might feel a bit miffed, but there are also a ton of recipes in the DIY Recipe section that cost nothing, and some of HIC's best stuff.

People will naturally get defensive when they feel that a friend is being attacked, especially when they're not around to defend themselves. I'm not pissed that HIC isn't here, and sure, I'd love to see the alert that says, "HeadInClouds has attached a file". We all miss him. I guess some find it necessary to express that in a different way.

Maybe cruise over to the DIY area of the forum. It's possible you'll find something you're searching for.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still no sign of HIC? Hope he's well.

Given that his online store is closed for well over a year, does anyone think it's unethical if I share some of his recipes that I paid for?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Given that his online store is closed for well over a year, does anyone think it's unethical if I share some of his recipes that I paid for?

Yes, I sure do think it's unethical. I don't think it matters at all that his store is closed.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I sure do think it's unethical. I don't think it matters at all that his store is closed.

Maybe, but I don't think that it "doesn't matter at all" that his store is closed and there are no updates.

I have paid for 30 recipes, and have also introduced a couple of friends to his store. I can't do that any more.

It's been eighteen months since he has said a word publicly. His website is down, and his friends, and ex-business partner have not shed any light on the situation. Part of the reason I paid for recipes was: "free updates any time a recipe you bought changes . I monitor diketone information, new flavor releases, and availability of flavorings used in my recipes. Updates are sometimes related to that, or they may be extra notes, a new variation, or a reformulated recipe."

I respect your opinion, and for now I won't share his recipes with my friends who are eager to get the recipe for a couple my ADV's that they love, but to suggest "it doesn't matter at all" that the store is closed and there are no updates, sorry, I don't agree.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe, but I don't think that it "doesn't matter at all" that his store is closed and there are no updates.

I have paid for 30 recipes, and have also introduced a couple of friends to his store. I can't do that any more.

It's been eighteen months since he has said a word publicly. His website is down, and his friends, and ex-business partner have not shed any light on the situation. Part of the reason I paid for recipes was: "free updates any time a recipe you bought changes . I monitor diketone information, new flavor releases, and availability of flavorings used in my recipes. Updates are sometimes related to that, or they may be extra notes, a new variation, or a reformulated recipe."

I respect your opinion, and for now I won't share his recipes with my friends who are eager to get the recipe for a couple my ADV's that they love, but to suggest "it doesn't matter at all" that the store is closed and there are no updates, sorry, I don't agree.

Well you asked for our opinions, and I gave you mine. If you didn't want us to be honest, then why did you ask?

And what's all the bolding and italics for? If his website was still up, I'm sure you'd have the free updates. I don't know what happened with him, but I doubt he planned ahead to leave you and your friends in the lurch.

Make some tweaks to your ADVs and then share the tweaked versions with your friends. You'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Regardless of whether his store is still open or not, you bought his intellectual property with the understanding (and he said this all the time) that those for-sale recipes were not for general distribution.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well you asked for our opinions, and I gave you mine. If you didn't want us to be honest, then why did you ask?
I'm not sure you need to get defensive. I asked for your opinion, and I appreciate it. I'm just continuing with the discussion, because it's an interesting topic. This is not a legal issue, because recipes (with very limited exceptions) are not protected intellectual property. It's a matter of ethics, so I asked for opinions. It's not like I want to post these recipes publicly, as some have done. Nor do I want to use them for commercial purposes. I just want to share them with a couple of friends. I could have just done it, and no one would be the wiser. Instead, I asked for opinions, both on this forum, and the other one.

I used italics, because those were HIC's words, not my own. The bolded parts influenced my decision to spend $100 to buy the recipes.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not sure you need to get defensive. I asked for your opinion, and I appreciate it. I'm just continuing with the discussion, because it's an interesting topic. This is not a legal issue, because recipes (with very limited exceptions) are not protected intellectual property. It's a matter of ethics, so I asked for opinions. It's not like I want to post these recipes publicly, as some have done. Nor do I want to use them for commercial purposes. I just want to share them with a couple of friends. I could have just done it, and no one would be the wiser. Instead, I asked for opinions, both on this forum, and the other one.

I used italics, because those were HIC's words, not my own. The bolded parts influenced my decision to spend $100 to buy the recipes.

Not getting defensive, I don't think. Anyway, good enough. I understand. And you're right - people have posted some of those recipes in public. I mixed one of them, and then saw it in his for-sale collection. I paid him for it after the fact.

Knowing how he did repeatedly state, though, that his for-sale recipes weren't for general distribution, personally, I keep the ones I bought to myself.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to derail the convo here, but a few months ago I mixed up this one. I've been vaping it everyday for the last 3 months. It's only 4%. He put out a large amount of recipes for free as well.

Vanilla Mocha Cake

Fresh Cream 0.5
Vanilla Classic 1.0
Meringue 0.5
Tiramisu 0.5
Vienna Cream 0.5

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Not to derail the convo here, but a few months ago I mixed up this one. I've been vaping it everyday for the last 3 months. It's only 4%. He put out a large amount of recipes for free as well.

Vanilla Mocha Cake

Fresh Cream 0.5
Vanilla Classic 1.0
Meringue 0.5
Tiramisu 0.5
Vienna Cream 0.5

I modified his pink bubblegum recipe and have vaped I-don't-know-how-much of it over the past year or two. There are quite a few of his freebie recipes in the main Recipe thread here.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Reminds me of the Apple iPhone Jailbreaking and Root modifications to Android phones.

At what point after paying for something is it considered yours?

If you know about how Apple operates and considers your phones theirs still after purchase especially regarding jailbreaking... well

Now in good taste (pun intended) sharing of recipes paid or not should always be granted by the creator, and if said recipe was posted by said creator in public, then in my opinion regardless if it was previously a paid recipe, it’s open source now.

I do wish more companies would give out their recipes, especially ones that they retired due to poor sales or what not... cause I know there are some out there that vaped let’s say Brand X, flavor Y, but they retired it and consumers had to find a lack luster alternative.

Anyhoo, be rad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I modified his pink bubblegum recipe and have vaped I-don't-know-how-much of it over the past year or two. There are quite a few of his freebie recipes in the main Recipe thread here.

I'm thinking of revisiting some of them as most of them I tried within my first year. My tastes have changed and I know how and what to tweak now. HIC knows how mix, that's for sure.

Well he/she certainly didn't leave any instructions telling anyone not to. I mean he/she left with nothing else to say. If your search HIC'S on ELR you can see that there is 8 pages of his/her recipes there. Some of them are what was posted and some are from the store that closed.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As I understand it, those on ELR were not posted by HIC. Why would he post recipes there that he had in his store? I know that he started
his store because of the few people posting his recipes, sometimes under other names, without his permission. Not cool.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well he/she certainly didn't leave any instructions telling anyone not to. I mean he/she left with nothing else to say. If your search HIC'S on ELR you can see that there is 8 pages of his/her recipes there. Some of them are what was posted and some are from the store that closed.

This is getting a bit silly, imo. If you want to share then go right ahead, but don't come here looking for someone to tell you it's ok when you know damn well it isn't.

HIC.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

He gave those instructions when people purchased a recipe from him. It was quite obvious on his website that his for-sale recipes weren't for general distribution.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree that HIC’s recipes behind the pay wall shouldn’t be shared publicly. HIC was very clear that the recipes are for personal use only.

That said, @jamie197099 is correct. I looked and someone named VurecipesII in 2015, posted(on ELR) a ton of public recipes HIC has....including some that were deleted. Easily 6-8 pages. And a few(not all) recipes from HIC’s site.

And that said....I believe that if you post something publicly, you’re risking people taking your recipes and using them for whatever they want.....including selling said recipes as their own. No one can stop them. There could be someone that took my Honeycomb Custard and Cookies recipe and pawned it off as their own. Sigh. HIC did NOT make some recipes public and was clear about how they wanted the recipes to be used. Respect that. HIC may come back tomorrow. Or maybe never:(

And that THAT said.....I have about 20 of HIC’s recipes that I gladly paid for. There were more that I would have paid for....but I didn’t make it in time. So be it. I’m just happy I got what I did. I have one that I’ve mixed dozens and dozens of times. I’m happy about that every time I vape it. I’m just happy HIC graced us with their recipes, endless help and guidance. And they still do.....<3

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC may come back tomorrow. Or maybe never:(

And that THAT said.....I have about 20 of HIC’s recipes that I gladly paid for. There were more that I would have paid for....but I didn’t make it in time. So be it. I’m just happy I got what I did. I have one that I’ve mixed dozens and dozens of times. I’m happy about that every time I vape it. I’m just happy HIC graced us with their recipes, endless help and guidance. And they still do.....<3
Unfortunately I very much doubt that we'll here from HIC again. Knowing HIC, i would be shocked that he would just leave the vaping world and all his friends here without a word, unless something really bad happened. He hasn't paid the webhosting fees for his website either. Another bad sign. Sad. And I mean it sincerely, not in the Trump way. I really rally hope I'm wrong though, and he's healthy and well.

It's a shame that all those recipes behind what used to be a paywall may never see the light of day again. I don't even know if his "notes" are on the web anymore either. I don't think HIC would want that, but we may never know.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Unfortunately I very much doubt that we'll here from HIC again. Knowing HIC, i would be shocked that he would just leave the vaping world and all his friends here without a word, unless something really bad happened. He hasn't paid the webhosting fees for his website either. Another bad sign. Sad. And I mean it sincerely, not in the Trump way. I really rally hope I'm wrong though, and he's healthy and well.

It's a shame that all those recipes behind what used to be a paywall may never see the light of day again. I don't even know if his "notes" are on the web anymore either. I don't think HIC would want that, but we may never know.
I know......I’m just trying to be optimistic!

“and I mean it sincerely, not in the Trump way“ hahahahahahaha. That actually made me laugh out loud! I’m still smiling.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somehow I missed the boat on most of the recipes HIC posted either for personal use or for sale. I used his Lazy Morning recipe a few times and before I knew it, it became my ADV. I only wish I can find his Apple pie recipe again.
It is sad that HIC is not participating and I can only hope he is well and nothing terrible happened.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Somehow I missed the boat on most of the recipes HIC posted either for personal use or for sale. I used his Lazy Morning recipe a few times and before I knew it, it became my ADV. I only wish I can find his Apple pie recipe again.
It is sad that HIC is not participating and I can only hope he is well and nothing terrible happened.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks @Huckleberried , this is one I will have to try. I remember HIC posting a very simple Apple Pie recipe, with three, possibly four ingredients. I try to stick with simple shake and vape recipes, at least for now since my free time is in very short supply (I work in a lab and things are busy).

debb22

Member For 4 Years
Want a peek into what's coming next? Here are two of my current projects that are producing encouraging results:

shortbread and creme sandwich cookies (think Oreo, Dare, Hydrox, Vienna Fingers): The shortbread cookie part of this is so impressive, I’ve been combining it with all of Oreo’s “limited edition” filling flavors. So far, lemon-creme sandwich cookie is a clear winner, so watch for that one very soon. I didn’t like real watermelon Oreos, but of course I had to try a vape version. Uhmmm, we’ll forget about that one. Would you believe Caramel Apple Oreos were a thing? Speaking of caramel...

dulce de leche: This might be the sweetest all-FA recipe I’ve ever vaped - and so buttery-rich. I’m excited by the prospect of an all-FA replacement for those tasty (but loaded with diacetyl/subs) flavors by TFA and FW. I don’t have a straight dulce de leche to offer yet, but this “dulce effect” can be found now in my Hazelnut Pralines n Cream recipe - available at my store.

Those two projects are leading to numerous ideas and offshoots. With luck, a few will develop into tasty new recipes. With certainty, a few others will give me some funny stories to tell...
I agree that HIC’s recipes behind the pay wall shouldn’t be shared publicly. HIC was very clear that the recipes are for personal use only.

That said, @jamie197099 is correct. I looked and someone named VurecipesII in 2015, posted(on ELR) a ton of public recipes HIC has....including some that were deleted. Easily 6-8 pages. And a few(not all) recipes from HIC’s site.

And that said....I believe that if you post something publicly, you’re risking people taking your recipes and using them for whatever they want.....including selling said recipes as their own. No one can stop them. There could be someone that took my Honeycomb Custard and Cookies recipe and pawned it off as their own. Sigh. HIC did NOT make some recipes public and was clear about how they wanted the recipes to be used. Respect that. HIC may come back tomorrow. Or maybe never:(

I remember Hic! I bought several recipes and remember he had recipe of the week at no cost.... It was something like that.. Back in early to mid 2000's... Good vape times.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The vaping Gods were smiling on me today! I found the recipe I was looking for, it was posted by HIC as a free, simple, shake and vape recipe.
Here it is folks, it is easy, simple and was my ADV for the better part of a year.
Sugary Almond-Apple Tart recipe (rich, sweet almond pie crust... and sweet apples):

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The vaping Gods were smiling on me today! I found the recipe I was looking for, it was posted by HIC as a free, simple, shake and vape recipe.
Here it is folks, it is easy, simple and was my ADV for the better part of a year.
Sugary Almond-Apple Tart recipe (rich, sweet almond pie crust... and sweet apples):

4% FA Apple Pie
2% FA Marzipan
I love this recipe!

debb22

Member For 4 Years

This is getting a bit silly, imo. If you want to share then go right ahead, but don't come here looking for someone to tell you it's ok when you know damn well it isn't.

View attachment 162325
Someone asked, HIC is no longer available, maybe some DIY'ers really likes HIC's recipes. I didn't post the recipes on ELR nor did I share them. But I agree with you all of this is a bit silly. Mostly silly because there are much better recipes that have came along since HIC left anyway. Not saying that HIC's methods wasn't a good starting point for mixers (ideas were good) but eliquids continually evolve and improve. Most of us have rather moved past using Vienna Cream, Fresh Cream, Butterscotch, Caramel, Jamaican Rum, Vanilla Classic, Vanilla Bourbon and Catalan Cream of some sort in ever darn recipe. So if it's really not ok to share HIC's recipes I think that's fine and a good thing.

VU Sponsors