Become a Patron!

HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you <3 Little Debbie's, this one's for you!

New today at HIC's Mixes : Peanut Buddies
View attachment 85166
"This is the flavor of the American treats shown in the photo: a sweet peanut butter mixture is layered with light wafer cookies then coated in a thin layer of milk chocolate. This recipe requires TFA DX Peanut Butter (must be the DX version), TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust, and FlavourArt flavors including Apple Pie (yes, really!) All flavorings used are diketone-free."

TFA pleased me by making their diketone-free DX Peanut Butter taste and work better than their original version. I'm excited to finally vape the flavor of Little Debbie's Nutty Bars - and I'm honestly surprised that eliminating diketones was the key to getting it to taste right!
Are you kidding me? I have that flavor. Off to buy.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Apparently FA are coming out with juicy strawberry and breakfast cereal? Considering how bang on their releases have been lately I can't wait to try these out. Just in time as I was about to buy Cap Cereal 27 and was also looking for a good strawberry.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Apparently FA are coming out with juicy strawberry and breakfast cereal? Considering how bang on their releases have been lately I can't wait to try these out. Just in time as I was about to buy Cap Cereal 27 and was also looking for a good strawberry.
Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Any idea on when this will happen?

Flavor Art should give out frequent user miles or something.

"Summer" isn't much of an answer, but if they avoid mentioning specific dates, they never miss a deadline. I think that's the logic. Kind of like my latest remodeling project, which I guarantee will be completed "when the last part is done".

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Summer" isn't much of an answer, but if they avoid mentioning specific dates, they never miss a deadline. I think that's the logic. Kind of like my latest remodeling project, which I guarantee will be completed "when the last part is done".

Kind of like, "You always find your keys in the last place you look."

I hope they don't use the Italian Postal service to send out the notices.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I was surprised to see you put out an all-CAP recipe. I'm guessing you're testing the waters on maybe trying out new things. I would definitely try out a lot of FLVs flavours. I've replaced most of my TFA, CAP (and the few FW) I used with FLV. They're good quality and spot on many of the times. I consider FA and them the best ones right now.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was surprised to see you put out an all-CAP recipe. I'm guessing you're testing the waters on maybe trying out new things. I would definitely try out a lot of FLVs flavours. I've replaced most of my TFA, CAP (and the few FW) I used with FLV. They're good quality and spot on many of the times. I consider FA and them the best ones right now.

Can you share which ones you've tried? I don't have a single one of them. I have looked at them at times and I'm interested.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can you share which ones you've tried? I don't have a single one of them. I have looked at them at times and I'm interested.

Wild melon
Watermelon
Apple filling
Frosting
Milk & Honey
Rich cinnamon
Pound cake
Custard
Greek Yoghurt
Sweet coconut
Cookie Dough
Cream

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I read a blurb months ago about some flavoring company (Nature's Flavors?) changing their vanilla flavorings due to rising costs of Madagascar beans. When I went to buy vanilla extract it really hit home. Have you guys noticed the unbelievable price of it lately? Export price was $20/kg six years ago; now it's $500/kg headed to $600/kg. :eek: https://www.cooksvanilla.com/blogs/news/vanilla-market-report-march-2017
Don't be surprised if your favorite real-vanilla foods taste a little different as manufacturers scramble to find alternatives.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I read a blurb months ago about some flavoring company (Nature's Flavors?) changing their vanilla flavorings due to rising costs of Madagascar beans. When I went to buy vanilla extract it really hit home. Have you guys noticed the unbelievable price of it lately? Export price was $20/kg six years ago; now it's $500/kg headed to $600/kg. :eek: https://www.cooksvanilla.com/blogs/news/vanilla-market-report-march-2017
Don't be surprised if your favorite real-vanilla foods taste a little different as manufacturers scramble to find alternatives.
I saw something on a Caps flavoring. It was odd, because I was reading about their Marshmallow flavoring.

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/new-marshmallow-cap/

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New today at HIC's Mixes : Peppermint Ice Cream Sandwich
p Peppermint Ice Cream Sandwich.jpg
"Sweet peppermint ice cream sandwiched between classic sugar cookies -- a tasty twist on peppermint vapes. This is a very minty flavor, especially nice to vape when the weather is hot. All flavorings used are diketone-free. This recipe requires FlavourArt flavorings and Capella Sugar Cookie v2."

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Getting this thread back to page one of this section!

Bump...

2ouDWXa.gif

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Have you tried "cotton candy" grapes yet? There are some cool flavor lessons for us in the story of their hybridization: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...on-candy-grape-a-sweet-spin-on-designer-fruit.
These taste much sweeter than regular grapes but contain only 12% more sugar. Basically, hybridizers removed tartness, which makes the natural sweetness more prominent & allows sugariness to linger. If you see these grapes in the store, you gotta try a few to taste how it works. If you've tried them, did you like them?

The same principle applies broadly to our DIY. When you find yourself adding stuff to boost the (sweetness, or tartness, or any specific flavor note), and it's just not working for you, consider whether any of your other ingredients might be adding a conflicting note. The ultimate example is bitter/smokey nic base, which can wreck all your best efforts, even when your flavorings are perfect. But it can be more subtle. When choosing flavorings for a recipe, you usually get better results by avoiding flavor notes you don't want than by trying to cover them up. For example, if bitterness has no place in your mix, don't use FA Bergamot for your orange flavor.

On the other hand, you might find those cotton candy grapes don't taste "natural" to you, specifically because tartness is removed. I think this helps explain candy-tasting fruit flavors: they're missing some subtle notes we expect to taste in real fruit. I imagine it's more complicated to formulate a realistic-tasting fruit flavoring than a candy-tasting one, and I think this is where FA excels.

The better you know your flavorings, the more likely you'll be able to diagnose problems with your DIY. My first instinct is often to add stuff, and the story of cotton candy grapes reminded me that's not always the solution when a recipe doesn't hit the mark.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you tried "cotton candy" grapes yet? There are some cool flavor lessons for us in the story of their hybridization: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...on-candy-grape-a-sweet-spin-on-designer-fruit.
These taste much sweeter than regular grapes but contain only 12% more sugar. Basically, hybridizers removed tartness, which makes the natural sweetness more prominent & allows sugariness to linger. If you see these grapes in the store, you gotta try a few to taste how it works. If you've tried them, did you like them?

The same principle applies broadly to our DIY. When you find yourself adding stuff to boost the (sweetness, or tartness, or any specific flavor note), and it's just not working for you, consider whether any of your other ingredients might be adding a conflicting note. The ultimate example is bitter/smokey nic base, which can wreck all your best efforts, even when your flavorings are perfect. But it can be more subtle. When choosing flavorings for a recipe, you usually get better results by avoiding flavor notes you don't want than by trying to cover them up. For example, if bitterness has no place in your mix, don't use FA Bergamot for your orange flavor.

On the other hand, you might find those cotton candy grapes don't taste "natural" to you, specifically because tartness is removed. I think this helps explain candy-tasting fruit flavors: they're missing some subtle notes we expect to taste in real fruit. I imagine it's more complicated to formulate a realistic-tasting fruit flavoring than a candy-tasting one, and I think this is where FA excels.

The better you know your flavorings, the more likely you'll be able to diagnose problems with your DIY. My first instinct is often to add stuff, and the story of cotton candy grapes reminded me that's not always the solution when a recipe doesn't hit the mark.
Just something you were sitting there thinking about, huh? I tease... it's quite interesting and I'll keep my eyes "peeled" for those. :teehee: Reminds me of @wllmc's story about eating grapes, and in deep thought about the taste of them.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New today at HIC's Mixes : McFried Apple Pie
p McFried Apple Pie.jpg
"Extra-sweet, deep-fried apple pie flavor that fast-food fans of a certain age are sure to recognize: syrupy cinnamon-apple filling in flaky, golden-fried crust. All flavorings used are diketone-free, and no sweeteners are added. This recipe requires Flavorah Rich Cinnamon, TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust, and FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba and Zeppola."

(I've heard there are a few places where these are still served deep-fried, but I haven't seen them on the menu in years.)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 89039
"Extra-sweet, deep-fried apple pie flavor that fast-food fans of a certain age are sure to recognize: syrupy cinnamon-apple filling in flaky, golden-fried crust. All flavorings used are diketone-free, and no sweeteners are added. This recipe requires Flavorah Rich Cinnamon, TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust, and FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba and Zeppola."

(I've heard there are a few places where these are still served deep-fried, but I haven't seen them on the menu in years.)
OOOHHHHHH MYYYYYYY!!!! :bliss:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now if only we had a vape version of the sweet potato pies at Bojangles.... :D

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 89039

New recipe!!! Yay!! Yummmmm!
:bunny:

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
View attachment 89039

Oba Oba seemed to have been a forgotten flavour. But it seems it's being used recently; maybe I should give it a try.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Oba Oba seemed to have been a forgotten flavour. But it seems it's being used recently; maybe I should give it a try.

I sure didn't appreciate how useful Oba Oba can be until I started mixing it with FA's more recent flavorings. Now I'm working through a long list of Oba Oba experiments. I used it so little before, it's almost like having a new flavor to work with.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Time from seeing this to completing the purchase. Two minutes. I'm a sucker for cinnamon and apple. Guess I'll be mixing this weekend.

Yay, I just got Oba Oba last weekend!!!!

Ok, made this and let it sit for two days. I'm always amazed at the amount of flavor that comes from your recipes when the flavor total is so low. This one is under 7% but I get the apple, cinnamon, the dough and some nice sweetness. It's sharp in and out and the sweetness is present on the exhale which smoothes the apple and cinnamon. This rivals one of my favorite ADVs. It has enough difference that I can keep them both in rotation.

Well done.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, made this and let it sit for two days. I'm always amazed at the amount of flavor that comes from your recipes when the flavor total is so low. This one is under 7% but I get the apple, cinnamon, the dough and some nice sweetness. It's sharp in and out and the sweetness is present on the exhale which smoothes the apple and cinnamon. This rivals one of my favorite ADVs. It has enough difference that I can keep them both in rotation.

Well done.
:bliss:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Ok, made this and let it sit for two days. I'm always amazed at the amount of flavor that comes from your recipes when the flavor total is so low. This one is under 7% ...

You mean McFried Apple Pie? That's 8.75% flavoring (or a tiny bit more if you include the TFA option).

VU Sponsors