Become a Patron!

HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Bullcity has the new FA citrus flavors. Happily, FA didn't get goofy with their descriptions.

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/blood-orange-red-fa/ FA's description: "A bright, fresh true to life blood orange flavour! Beautiful citrus married with the sweetness of blood orange finished with a faint hint of the zest of the peel."

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/florida-key-lime-fa/ FA's description: "Designed to replicate the famous taste of a fresh Florida Key Lime. Citrus zest notes with finishes of sour and sweet."

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/royal-orange-premium-fa/ "The perfectly ripe flesh of a navel orange. Balanced sweetness with great taste!"

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bullcity has the new FA citrus flavors. Happily, FA didn't get goofy with their descriptions.

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/blood-orange-red-fa/ FA's description: "A bright, fresh true to life blood orange flavour! Beautiful citrus married with the sweetness of blood orange finished with a faint hint of the zest of the peel."

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/florida-key-lime-fa/ FA's description: "Designed to replicate the famous taste of a fresh Florida Key Lime. Citrus zest notes with finishes of sour and sweet."

http://www.bullcityflavors.com/royal-orange-premium-fa/ "The perfectly ripe flesh of a navel orange. Balanced sweetness with great taste!"

Apparently FA USA has had input in developing these new flavours, as well as Zeppola, which would also explain the clear descriptions. Some very welcome changes :D
Time for a new big FA order, along with all their florals that I'm keen to try out.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@HeadInClouds i just got an email regarding your notes on FA Key Lime for your Lime Coolers recipe. But when I open the link it's just the recipe as originally written.

Edit: never mind, apparently I don't see properly.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New at HIC's Mixes : Orange Sherbet (+ Fresh-Squeezed OJ + Orange Creamsicles)
p Orange Sherbet.jpg
"If you like realistic orange vapes, you will love these 3 recipes featuring FlavourArt's new Blood Orange and Royal Orange flavorings. Orange Sherbet is sweet and tangy. Fresh-Squeezed OJ tastes like real orange juice: fresh, bright, and juicy-sweet. Orange Creamsicles captures the smooth flavor of those sweet treats better than any recipe I've previously vaped. You'll become an expert at mixing with FA's orange flavorings as you use this recipe set. Only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings are required."

FA did a fantastic job with their new orange flavors, and they planned well, too - used with their existing orange flavors, it's possible for us to mix just about any "orange" flavor imaginable. :inlove:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 79836
"If you like realistic orange vapes, you will love these 3 recipes featuring FlavourArt's new Blood Orange and Royal Orange flavorings. Orange Sherbet is sweet and tangy. Fresh-Squeezed OJ tastes like real orange juice: fresh, bright, and juicy-sweet. Orange Creamsicles captures the smooth flavor of those sweet treats better than any recipe I've previously vaped. You'll become an expert at mixing with FA's orange flavorings as you use this recipe set. Only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings are required."

FA did a fantastic job with their new orange flavors, and they planned well, too - used with their existing orange flavors, it's possible for us to mix just about any "orange" flavor imaginable. :inlove:

Dude!!!!!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Speaking of orange, I updated my Orange Soda Pop recipe today. Anyone who previously bought it at my store, check your email for the link to your free update. I hemmed & hawed trying to figure out which version I prefer - and finally decided to include both.

Updated at HIC's Mixes: Orange Soda Pop
p Orange Soda Pop.jpg
"Bubbly, sweet, orange soda pop! These easy recipes require TFA Citrus Punch plus FlavourArt flavorings. All flavorings used are diketone-free.
UPDATED April 2017: Two versions are now included. The recipe for traditional Orange Soda Pop uses older FA flavorings. Blood Orange Soda Pop uses FA's latest new flavorings."

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 79836

Is the Orange Creamsicles similar to your Malibu Creamsicles?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Is the Orange Creamsicles similar to your Malibu Creamsicles?

Both begin with the same notion of creamy orange, but use different flavorings & percents, if that's what you mean. FA's oranges can do Creamsicles (flavor of the actual brand) perfectly. The older flavors made a tasty vape, but never a true flavor match, no matter how you mixed 'em. Vaping Orange Creamsicles while eating a real one is like nirvana to me - super flavor match (all 3 in that set, actually).

Some recipes (like Orange Soda Pop) can use either old or new FA oranges & taste great - different, but good both ways. Some (Orange Tic Tacs) require the old ones. A few will be best with a combo of old+new. Percentages may or may not change, depending on other flavors in the recipe. I have a lot of recipes with orange flavors to re-work, but I can say already that neither new flavor makes a reliable straight-out swap for any of the old ones. In short: serious DIYers need all of them, or you there will be certain kinds of orange recipes you can't make.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have a question that is probably already answered somewhere in this thread - I've only gotten maybe half way through

If you want to buy several recipes at once, do you buy them one at a time or is there a cart or something I'm missing?

Thanks for answering what is probably a redundant question, lol

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both begin with the same notion of creamy orange, but use different flavorings & percents, if that's what you mean. FA's oranges can do Creamsicles (flavor of the actual brand) perfectly. The older flavors made a tasty vape, but never a true flavor match, no matter how you mixed 'em. Vaping Orange Creamsicles while eating a real one is like nirvana to me - super flavor match (all 3 in that set, actually).

Some recipes (like Orange Soda Pop) can use either old or new FA oranges & taste great - different, but good both ways. Some (Orange Tic Tacs) require the old ones. A few will be best with a combo of old+new. Percentages may or may not change, depending on other flavors in the recipe. I have a lot of recipes with orange flavors to re-work, but I can say already that neither new flavor makes a reliable straight-out swap for any of the old ones. In short: serious DIYers need all of them, or you there will be certain kinds of orange recipes you can't make.
:)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
If you want to buy several recipes at once, do you buy them one at a time or is there a cart or something I'm missing?l

No, you're not missing anything; there used to be a cart, but not now. The multi-steps required to operate a cart and use the PayPal account screen caused a lot of confusion, so I made it simple as possible. I also encourage people to be selective, just get what you're gonna mix soon. The rest will still be there when you're ready. Any that disappear would be replaced with something better - that's happened a few times. If your card or non-US fees pile up with multiple small purchases, PM me here or email me from this page http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html and we'll work around it ;-)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Quick update here - bought a good number of HICs recipes last Saturday, and took the plunge and went ahead and bought every single flavoring needed that I didn't already have or was low on

Have made four so far and it was beyond worth the effort

And an additional thanks to HIC for helping me out with a few technical issues I ran into

Long story short, as a long-time DIYer, found it very much worth buying the recipes

If you are new to DIY, do yourself a favor, get a few of these recipes, just get the recommended flavors and you will save yourself time and money in the long run, lol

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Quick update here - bought a good number of HICs recipes last Saturday, and did myself a favor and went ahead and bought any flavorings needed that I didn't already have or was low on

Have made four so far and it was beyond worth the effort

And an additional thanks to HIC for helping me out with a few technical issues I ran into

Long story short, as a long-time DIYer, found it very much worth buying the recipes

If you are new to DIY, do yourself a favor, get a few of these recipes, just get the recommended flavors and you will save yourself time and money in the long run, lol
What recipes did you get?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
MMMmmm, defied common wisdom and got quite a few, lol

These are the ones I made:
Chinese Almond Cookie (regular and with Cherry) Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbert and Banana Pudding, which is for someone else.

Did not yet make: Cinnamon/sugar cookie, watermelon juice and Churros

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am new to DIY and have had a few failures. I have been thinking of buying some of HIC's recipes. Which ones have you tried?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You saw the ones I tried above you :)

The biggest thing about juice recipes - especially the first time you make it - is to follow the instructions to a T

This is especially true for using the recommended brand of flavor - they don't taste the same at all :)

If a recipe calls for steeping, you can bet they probably mean it

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am new to DIY and have had a few failures. I have been thinking of buying some of HIC's recipes. Which ones have you tried?

One of my all time favorites from Hic's is his Lemon Meringue Pie that one is free. He has so many good ones. Pretty safe if you read his descriptions, Hic describes taste like no one else can. Just read his descriptions & if it sounds good to you try it.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MMMmmm, defied common wisdom and got quite a few, lol

These are the ones I made:
Chinese Almond Cookie (regular and with Cherry) Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbert and Banana Pudding, which is for someone else.

Did not yet make: Cinnamon/sugar cookie, watermelon juice and Churros
Chinese Almond Cookie was in rotation for a while, its yum! I tried it with Coconut. Haven't tried Sweet Tart & Orange Sherbert yet.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Chinese Almond Cookie was in rotation for a while, its yum! I tried it with Coconut. Haven't tried Sweet Tart & Orange Sherbert yet.

Doctor put me on a strict diet I will probably have to follow for life - and basically, I can't eat anything good anymore :giggle:

So I figured I should up my game on my juice, get out of my "five really good recipes" rut

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Hic's Cantaloupe Crush I love for summer. Hic's Pina Colada (free) great for summer too!
Hic's Pink Sunrise collection, Pink Cadillac & Pink Sunrise Mojito delish.

Last edited:

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You saw the ones I tried above you :)

The biggest thing about juice recipes - especially the first time you make it - is to follow the instructions to a T

This is especially true for using the recommended brand of flavor - they don't taste the same at all :)

If a recipe calls for steeping, you can bet they probably mean it
Thanks. I'm going to give a few a try. After I manage to decide which ones I'll make a flavor order and go for it. I will post my results...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
watermelon juice
I'm not a big fan of watermelon vapes, but that one is damn good! If ya feel a little crazy, mix it with the Blue Razz in the shop. A super juicy berried up watermelon. Total yums. I ran across that by accident a summer, or 2, ago, when I grabbed the wrong juice to refill my tank and BAM! Good stuff.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not a big fan of watermelon vapes, but that one is damn good! If ya feel a little crazy, mix it with the Blue Razz in the shop. A super juicy berried up watermelon. Total yums. I ran across that by accident a summer, or 2, ago, when I grabbed the wrong juice to refill my tank and BAM! Good stuff.

Hucklegummies! You told us about that at post #315 in this thread; photo at post #318.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've bought about 12, I think. I've gotten about all his posted recipes, must be another 20 or so. I've made almost all of them. About 4-5 I didn't like the profiles. The rest vary from good to fantastic. If you had all of recipes and nothing else, you'd be all set. In addition, you can experiment with them and create a huge number of variations that home into your preferred tastes.

Think of it this way...each recipe he sells is less than a pack of cigarettes.

I just got home and counted and I've bought 15 and have 26 free ones. The only reason I haven't bought more is because I can't keep up with what I have now. :)

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
My "Key Lime Ice Cream" recipe is now called "Lime Ice Cream" to avoid confusion (since it doesn't use FA Florida Key Lime). The recipe hasn't changed, just the name.

I've been testing my recipes that use FA's older lime flavors and have come to some fairly solid conclusions. I'll add these comments to my "notes on FA flavors" next time I update it, but it might be helpful to lime fans to have them now:

* Key Lime never works as a sub for FA Lime Tahiti Distilled. They're entirely different flavor profiles. I've never tasted any lime like Tahiti Distilled and consider that a non-substitutable flavoring when it's used alone in a recipe.

* Key Lime usually makes a reasonable sub for SMALL amounts of FA Lime Cold-Pressed -- where it's an accent or minor flavor in a recipe. In two batches made side-by-side, the one with Cold-Pressed as a minor ingredient will seem limier right after mixing, about the same after a day or two, then less limey thereafter. That's because of the next point.

* Key Lime may begin a little less prominent, but it fades much less over time than FA Lime Cold-Pressed.

*** In recipes with FA Lime Cold-Pressed as a major ingredient, you can usually substitute 1/4 of it with Key Lime to get similar flavor that lasts longer.

* In recipes featuring lime, a straight swap of FA Lime Cold-Pressed with Key Lime always gives you noticeably different flavor. The question of which is "better" will be personal preference. For me, it varies by recipe.

* You can predict the last point: if you're a lime fan, you need all 3. :D None will appeal to (normal, heh) people as single flavors, so maybe just get the one(s) that a recipe you want to make requires.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New today at HIC's Mixes : Sublime Key Lime
p Sublime Key Lime.jpg
"The unmistakable flavor of Florida key limes with the sweet-tanginess of creamy Greek yogurt or lime kefir, the smoothness of a mousse, and background notes of rich cheesecake. A smooth vape with long-lasting, authentic key lime flavor. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Apple Pie and their new Florida Key Lime."

--
This one absolutely requires FA Florida Key Lime. It's not a matter of flavor preference; it's part of a surprising flavor interaction that creates cheesecake-like notes...if you've ever made cheesecake with kefir cheese, it's that kind of richness. If not, imagine a NY cheesecake made with key lime Greek yogurt.

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've bought about 12, I think. I've gotten about all his posted recipes, must be another 20 or so. I've made almost all of them. About 4-5 I didn't like the profiles. The rest vary from good to fantastic. If you had all of recipes and nothing else, you'd be all set. In addition, you can experiment with them and create a huge number of variations that home into your preferred tastes.

Think of it this way...each recipe he sells is less than a pack of cigarettes.

I just got home and counted and I've bought 15 and have 26 free ones. The only reason I haven't bought more is because I can't keep up with what I have now. :)
Bought the Orange Soda recipe today and ordered some flavors. I'm an orange soda lover so am anxious to try it.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New today at HIC's Mixes : Sublime Key Lime
View attachment 81327
"The unmistakable flavor of Florida key limes with the sweet-tanginess of creamy Greek yogurt or lime kefir, the smoothness of a mousse, and background notes of rich cheesecake. A smooth vape with long-lasting, authentic key lime flavor. This recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Apple Pie and their new Florida Key Lime."

--
This one absolutely requires FA Florida Key Lime. It's not a matter of flavor preference; it's part of a surprising flavor interaction that creates cheesecake-like notes...if you've ever made cheesecake with kefir cheese, it's that kind of richness. If not, imagine a NY cheesecake made with key lime Greek yogurt.
Now I can't decide which to try first, the Lime Ice Cream or Sublime Key Lime.:facepalm:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought the Orange Soda recipe today and ordered some flavors. I'm an orange soda lover so am anxious to try it.

I suggest you only make 10 ml at a time until you get it where you need it. You might need to up the percentages as they tend to be low.

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suggest you only make 10 ml at a time until you get it where you need it. You might need to up the percentages as they tend to be low.
I will do that. Thanks

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Now I can't decide which to try first, the Lime Ice Cream or Sublime Key Lime.:facepalm:

If you have FA Florida Key Lime, go for Sublime. Out of a couple dozen recipe ideas (including adaptations of recipes designed for FA's older lime flavors) Sublime was the one that best shows off Florida Key Lime's unique flavor...and the only one I've found so far that absolutely won't work with any other lime flavoring.

VU Sponsors