HIC's LIGHT AMERICAN CIGARETTE REPLACEMENT

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

This recipe doesn't mimic any particular brand of cigarette. It's mild, plain cig flavor that satisfies me when I'm craving a cigarette:

HIC's Light American Cig Replacement

2-2.5% FlavourArt Cuban Supreme tobacco
0.5% FlavourArt Black Fire
0.25-0.5% FlavourArt Burley tobacco
0.25-0.5% FlavourArt Oakwood

(lowest percents listed for 'ultra-light' cig flavor; highest percents for 'light' cig flavor)

I smoked "light" American cigarettes, none of those expensive brands or fancy imports. I can't stand cigar or pipe flavor/aroma, so I'm a tobacco wimp in the vaping world. If strong tobacco vapes give you nightmares, we have similar tastes. If FA's 7 Leaves or MaxxBlend are too sweet for you or not enough like your old light cigarette, give this recipe a shot.

This is a neutral, smooth, light-brown tasting tobacco vape (from the Cuban Supreme) with a tiny background hint of familiar-tasting darker tobacco (from the Burley) and a light touch of realistic tobacco smoke on the exhale (from the Black Fire). Oakwood at this percent does not add flavor, just dries and de-sweetens the subtle vanilla from Cuban Supreme.

It's mild tobacco flavor with enough interest and complexity to enjoy for long vaping sessions. There's no caramel, spice, anise, cocoa, honey, or weird notes of food flavors, nothing 'obnoxious' in the flavor or the vapor trail. The subtle dry-woody-vanilla bit in the exhale can further masked with extra Black Fire, if you wish. I like it there - it's similar enough to a cig to crush my cravings, but the hint of dry vanilla in the exhale is more pleasant to me than the black-ashiness of real cigs.

When you have a cig craving, there's no time to waste, so this recipe was designed to shake and vape. No steeping rituals are needed - it's smooth and mild immediately after mixing.

note, Oct 2015: I used to list Black Fire here at 0.5 - 1%. I think most people will prefer just 0.5%, even if increasing the other flavorings.

Last edited:

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice HIC, I'd say you nailed it! This is the most realistic cigarette vape I've had and it's good(doesn't taste like an ashtray).

Looking forward to vaping this with a cup of coffee. :p

Mr Joshua

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
While I did smoke a lot of Virginia blends, and often just Mcclelland Viginia red, I do not always want the heavy tobaccos, that recipe up above sounds like what a great non sweet ADV to me.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is better then a cigarette. I tastes like good tobacco smells unlit. I always rolled up my own smokes and it always smelled a bit better than it tasted. I seen my boy was rolling some so he just tried this and loved it, maybe it will help him give up the smokes.
I shook this up and vaped it..really really good..will the flavor change much after a few days? I didn't make more then we could vape in a day cause of your notes about the recipe but it was hard not too lol.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
This is better then a cigarette. I tastes like good tobacco smells unlit. I always rolled up my own smokes and it always smelled a bit better than it tasted. I seen my boy was rolling some so he just tried this and loved it, maybe it will help him give up the smokes.
I shook this up and vaped it..really really good..will the flavor change much after a few days? I didn't make more then we could vape in a day cause of your notes about the recipe but it was hard not too lol.

Edd, I don't think this one has ever aged more than a few days here, so I really don't know how much it might change! Maybe set a small bottle aside to see what you think? If you do, please comment back here about your results.

I'm so excited to know your son loves it - and I hope it's a great cig substitute for him for a long time to come. Thanks for letting me know!

Reactions: Edd

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just finished off the 20ml that I mixed up about a month ago the other day. It just gets better with age, it may have gotten a little sweeter but I wouldn't be afraid to mix it in mass quantity's. :)

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks D, I have a few juices getting to the 2 week mark but this is the first time I ever dabbled with the tobacco and I can see I will like this.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am going to be picking up some sample size flavorings so i can make this , i wish i was able to know a good recipe when i tried it but that takes talent and i'm convinced i'm devoid of such talent (actually i know for a fact i don't have any).

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to mix up a batch of this specifically for a friend that has just recently begun vaping. She absolutely does not want anything other than a real cig flavor and I don't think she's liking the premade stuff from VZ too much.

Hopefully this will do the trick!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm going to mix up a batch of this specifically for a friend that has just recently begun vaping. She absolutely does not want anything other than a real cig flavor and I don't think she's liking the premade stuff from VZ too much.

The VZ Parliament flavor sort of suits me; I prefer it with a little Black Fire added. Many just-quit smokers like VZ's Real Cig flavor.

You also know some tricks that don't involve flavoring. Extra VG for extra vapor and more sweetness; extra PG for some throat hit and to cut sweetness; more throat hit from some nic besides VT.

I hope your friend likes it!

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Hopefully this will do the trick!

Havok..

Vz is a different animal :p

normally i use real cig like tobacco absolute.. just a drop or 2..
parliament @ 2-3%
burley around .5% to 1% (fa)

I might slip in a touch of some kind of cream too.. but this works for a quick cheap cig for me..
just something about the ry4 bits, i just dont like.. dont know why.. but eh..

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
VZ Parliament is also my main (1 of 2) tobacco flavorings.
VZ Virginia Flue Cured is my other one, (used at 2.5% for either one).
Then add 2.5% Inawera (WG) Virginia Tobacco Absolute.
Plus 1.5% Inawera (WG) DNB.

All the FA tobaccos are just to flowery/spicy, ie., not really tobacco-ish flavors to me.

Real Cig isn't too bad, but it takes too long to steep IMO.
Same for Hangsens RY1.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The VZ Parliament flavor sort of suits me; I prefer it with a little Black Fire added. Many just-quit smokers like VZ's Real Cig flavor.

You also know some tricks that don't involve flavoring. Extra VG for extra vapor and more sweetness; extra PG for some throat hit and to cut sweetness; more throat hit from some nic besides VT.

I hope your friend likes it!
Yes, already planning to use WL nic and thinking on the PG/VG rations. Is it tougher to use full VG in a bottom coil protank?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Yes, already planning to use WL nic and thinking on the PG/VG rations. Is it tougher to use full VG in a bottom coil protank?

My tanks all have a bottom coil. About 20% of my finished liquid is water, added to thin my maximum VG. Tanks I have would not work well without the water; that'd produce lots of dry hits and a burnt wick.

Last edited:

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My tanks all have a bottom coil. About 10% of my finished liquid is water, added to thin my maximum VG. Tanks I have would not work well without the water; that'd produce lots of dry hits and a burnt wick.
That's what I figured regarding the bottom coils, thanks.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Edd, I don't think this one has ever aged more than a few days here, so I really don't know how much it might change! Maybe set a small bottle aside to see what you think? If you do, please comment back here about your results.
I did this, and it did indeed get even better after 2 weeks I am enjoying it right now. Thanks again HIC.

Ginger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why is this recipe so low, and can I make it stronger? Lots of info here too, thank you.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before making adjustments, try the original recipe. If you think the flavors are too low, it's easy to up them.

Ginger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just put my order in, not bad, close to 50.00 and I guess they will mail out on Monday? When I get them will post, so if I need to adjust it then. I have 2 recipes now. Thank you!

Perkidan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mixed this up a couple of days ago. Really like this one. Good job sir.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Even after more than a year as a non-smoker, I still occasionally get strong cravings. When I use this recipe, I make it double my usual nic strength to get faster relief. (It's almost time for New Year's resolutions, so thought I'd mention it.)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Even after more than a year as a non-smoker, I still occasionally get strong cravings. When I use this recipe, I make it double my usual nic strength to get faster relief. (It's almost time for New Year's resolutions, so thought I'd mention it.)
This ^^^^^ is the reason I made this one up. It's one I'll be keeping on hand!

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Holidays this year are a bit difficult and I just made some of this Cigarette replacement. Does it need to steep at all ? Thanks.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
The Holidays this year are a bit difficult and I just made some of this Cigarette replacement. Does it need to steep at all ? Thanks.

"When you have a cig craving, there's no time to waste, so this recipe was designed to shake and vape. No steeping rituals are needed - it's smooth and mild immediately after mixing." In my opinion, anyway. A few people who liked it fresh liked it even better as they got to the end of the bottle.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks HIC. I'm vaping it right now at 18mg.............and maybe, just maybe I have kicked the habit. It is cigarette like, but it tastes like crap to me ;) Think I'll stay with Puppies RY4 !

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks HIC. I'm vaping it right now at 18mg.............and maybe, just maybe I have kicked the habit. It is cigarette like, but it tastes like crap to me ;) Think I'll stay with Puppies RY4 !

It's intended to be clearly a light cig with definite contrast to the (sweet, dessert, bakery, candy) flavors I usually vape. I'm sorry it's crap to you; that wasn't my intention at all.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's intended to be clearly a light cig with definite contrast to the (sweet, dessert, bakery, candy) flavors I usually vape. I'm sorry it's crap to you; that wasn't my intention at all.

No, no, that crap taste is a positive HIC. That really means I have kicked the habit. I would have died for that taste last January, but no more! Huahh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

made this about a month ago and it tasted like straight up BBQ in a subtank at around 20 watts and I figured now that I know a little more I would try to get the right flavor to match my device. in a pen type low vapor setup the original recipe is probably ideal. i tweaked it to
1.5% cuban supreme
1 drop per 30ml black fire
.33% burley tobacco
.17% oakwood
shake and vape loaded it up in a delta 2, closed the airflow to nearly closed to do mouth to lung inhales and set it to 12 watts with a .7 coil and I feel like the flavor is a lot closer to how it was intended to taste like. I think now I'm going to try tweaking it even more so that I can open up the air flow and vape it at more like 22-35 watts like i normally vape.

this recipe really is cool though. it really does "feel" like smoke and the taste is pretty good for not being the real thing. I used to be super addicted to light cigs and while I refuse to touch cigs again sometimes you do have a craving for something that isnt a fruity/desert vape. I'm pretty excited with this combination and looking forward to getting it tuned just right for my devices and vaping style. I'll be sure to post any more updates I come with so others can benefit from it also. and if anybody else has any ideas/tips for tweaking it for more powerful devices I'd love to hear what others think.

and thanks again HIC for helping us with your recipes and knowledge. your recipes and notes on flavors have helped me a ton!

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate you HIC. Every time I place an order and am sure I have all I need for HIC's recipes.........:p

returnity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone try using Inawera's Dirty Neutral base with this? Been really curious about how that stuff affects tobacco recipes, and this seems like the ideal recipe to try it in. Sadly I hate cigarettes now, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there for y'all.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How would that taste without FA Oakwood? My supplier doesn't carry it.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
How would that taste without FA Oakwood? My supplier doesn't carry it.

That would taste less dry/woody. It's just a small amount here to make the vanilla part of the exhale (from Cuban Supreme) taste drier, not really enough to add its own distinctive flavor.

Here are my notes on Oakwood: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-notes-on-flavourart-oakwood.2915/ . It's really a great touch in lots of tobaccos, but also in cask-aged cider or boozy mixes. Your vendor is depriving you!

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the link. Yeah definitely, I will try to find an alternative source for my flavors.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I was wondering. Do you have any thoughts on FA Virginia as a substitute for Cuban Supreme?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Also I was wondering. Do you have any thoughts on FA Virginia as a substitute for Cuban Supreme?

Not positive thoughts lol. Virginia is grassy/hay, yellow tobacco with a kind of sharp edge; Cuban is blended, smooth, brown tobacco with a great vanilla undertone. They're just entirely different. Few would enjoy Virginia standalone; many would enjoy Cuban Supreme standalone.

jsc787

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For Marlboro lights would you recommend the low or high %

jsc787

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Probably the higher numbers. The lower numbers are "ultra-lite" strength.
Thanks its for my friend he wants to quit but doesnt like anything other then a tobacco flavor for a adv i had bought a margarita flavor when i first started vaping like 8 months ago and to him it tasted like Marlboro lights lol kept him off till his vape broke

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought all the ingredients to try this recipe, and its a very good vape. This is not an overpowering taste like most tobacco flavors, and its complex enough to keep me interested.

Oakwood and Black Fire smell great. Im wondering how they would vape as standalones.

zOzBaSHa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i will check with my supplier
if all ingredients available i am gonna do this one for sure

rikitik22

Member For 4 Years
HIC, what is your recommended percentage for a Marlboro regular (Red). I understand this is a thread for American light cigs but I want it stronger.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC, what is your recommended percentage for a Marlboro regular (Red). I understand this is a thread for American light cigs but I want it stronger.

FA Max Blend is supposed to be a Marlboro flavor, but it doesn't really taste like one to me.
If you're using this recipe, Burley is brown tobacco flavor. The higher percents listed here plus an extra 0.25% Burley might do what you want - I think better than Max Blend.

Canadian cigs use a lot of Virginia tobaccos; American cigs use more Burley. If you want a more Canadian flavor, you could add 0.25% of FA Virginia. BUT in my opinion, that flavor really needs some steep time, even such a tiny bit of it. I avoided it here because I wanted something shake-and-vapeable.

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Diging up an old thread, but have you tried this with Desert ship @HeadInClouds ? Every now and then I gots ta have a camel, and was curious on what your thoughts were.

-Kingboomer

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Diging up an old thread, but have you tried this with Desert ship @HeadInClouds ? Every now and then I gots ta have a camel, and was curious on what your thoughts were.

Because this is a light cig, I intentionally didn't use Desert Ship. Yes, that's what you'd want for a Camel, and it only takes a very little bit (0.25% ish) to add that impression to a recipe. It will change the "character" as well, from a cig to something many describe as cigar-like.

The 3 tobaccos used in most American cigs are Virginia, Burley, and Turkish (which Desert Ship is), pretty much in that order. Cigs from the US use more Burley where Canadian cigs use more Virginia. If you use bits of those three with FA's basic cig flavors for a base (Max Blend and/or 7 Leaves), you can make lots of cigarette flavors. A little Black Fire adds the smoke-like exhale to change it from "sniffing a fresh pack" to smoking one.

johnnyknoxsvill

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This sounds awesome for those cravings me and the get. I hope this would taste good in a subtank mini and nautilus mini (wifes) We smoked menthol lights, what menthol flavor would you recommend i add to this?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
This sounds awesome for those cravings me and the get. I hope this would taste good in a subtank mini and nautilus mini (wifes) We smoked menthol lights, what menthol flavor would you recommend i add to this?

Use any menthol you like, probably 0.5-1% for any of them. (It's great in a tank; I use tanks, too)

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks man, sound advice. My wallet's pissed at you and be both now FWIW :D

-Kingboomer

VU Sponsors