Become a Patron!

HIC's LEMON MERINGUE PIE

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love that lemon meringue pie, one of my faves! But I will have to say that in my experience with this one, small batches are best. I did mix a much larger quantity after the first time I tried it because I fell in love with it. But the lemon did begin to fade after a week or so. You can always add more, but I just prefer that fresh lemon taste the first day or so after it's made.
Thank you...I just finished reading the entire thread, and that seems to be the consensus. Although on one reply. HIC suggested making a flavoring batch to make it easier and faster, then just use that at the 10% I suppose. That will save time while still allowing the citrus to stay bright. So I think I will make a small batch of flavoring, and just make it fresh (+24 hr steep to blend). Not sure why I didn't think of that...smh

Last edited:

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh no doubt. Along with your notes they've had a great influence on my mixing, and it's improved dramatically as a result.
Much appreciated mate.

As for the apple tart, maybe I'll expand on it at some stage. For now I'm loving it too much to change a thing
HIC's notes along with lessons from his recipes have had the biggest influence on my mixing. So much valuable info from one person! I consult the notes before every new mix these days!

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I passed some of this to a mate of mine and said "try this... It's lemon meringue pie". He tried and just replied "flippin' hell, it's lemon meringue pie!"

Really is the essential vape version of Lemon meringue pie this one - a masterpiece!

:) Thanks for the compliments!
I just signed up just to ask you this :) I would like to make this wonderful sounding recipe of yours and i just received the flavors yesterday.
Though , I have read that you pointed out FA Meringue has changed in terms flavor and has that "strong undertone of flavor like the well-browned top of overbaked meringue." Does it still work well with this recipe since it was created back in 2014? Ty once again.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I just signed up just to ask you this :) I would like to make this wonderful sounding recipe of yours and i just received the flavors yesterday.
Though , I have read that you pointed out FA Meringue has changed in terms flavor and has that "strong undertone of flavor like the well-browned top of overbaked meringue." Does it still work well with this recipe since it was created back in 2014? Ty once again.

Absolutely! This is exactly the kind of recipe where FA's version of Meringue is perfect, because it DOES have that caramelized topping flavor in it now. If anything, it's better than ever for this recipe. It's also still fine with spicy recipes and ones with lots of caramel/butterscotch types of flavors. (all my opinion of course ;). I used to love it to sweeten fresh fruity mixes; it's NO good for that now.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just made a fresh batch of this this morning and added 1.5% coconut (FA) - blends wonderfully with this! It's definitely worth a try! :)

blanblu

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HIC, this is BY FAR my favorite recipe that I purchased from you...mad props! I'd like to have the lemon come thru a bit more, do you think going up to 5% would help? :oops: Thanks!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
lemon .. going up to 5%?

If you're sure it was well shaken before you measured it, and it's just not lemony enough for you, why not give it a try? That's really a lot of Lemon Sicily, but we all have our own preferences.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still my favorite HIC recipe. I dont think Ive NOT have at least a 15ml of this around the house at all times since I first made it.
Perfect. (even if I used TFA Meringue instead :eek:)

Hi guys, first time post, first time ever DIY today...

I could use some help if anyone can. I bought all the FA flavors for this from ecigExpress and they are showing up in the mail today. I also bought unflavored VG at 3mg to mix with.

Is this as simple as it seems? Would I just add 1.2 ML of Lemon sicily (4%) to 30ML of unflavored base, then .6 ML of custard and so on?

Thanks HIC and anyone that chimes in, really can't wait to try this today.

EhkD1si.png
:)

Last edited:

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys, first time post, first time ever DIY today...

I could use some help if anyone can. I bought all the FA flavors for this from ecigExpress and they are showing up in the mail today. I also bought unflavored VG at 3mg to mix with.

Is this as simple as it seems? Would I just add 1.2 ML of Lemon sicily (4%) to 30ML of unflavored base, then .6 ML of custard and so on?

Thanks HIC and anyone that chimes in, really can't wait to try this today.

Yup, it's that simple - but deduct the flavouring percentage from the overall amount of vg you use. So, for example:

If you are making 30ml and using 10% total flavouring, you would use 27ml vg and 3ml total flavouring.

I'd suggest using a diy eliquid calculator. Google it and any of the first 3 that pop up should work. I use Todd Muller usually. :)

Yup, it's that simple - but deduct the flavouring percentage from the overall amount of vg you use. So, for example:

If you are making 30ml and using 10% total flavouring, you would use 27ml vg and 3ml total flavouring.

I'd suggest using a diy eliquid calculator. Google it and any of the first 3 that pop up should work. I use Todd Muller usually. :)

Makes perfect sense, thank you Pathetic :)

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention.. I had to get FE Lemon as they were out of stock on FA sicily. Would I use FE Lemon at 4%?

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention.. I had to get FE Lemon as they were out of stock on FA sicily. Would I use FE Lemon at 4%?
Give it a try man. I've never used FE lemon but I'm sure it would work.

I'd suggest still picking up some lemon Sicily (FA) as its a fantastic flavour. Worth giving a try with each :)

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, this recipe has been here for quite awhile but I never gave it a go. What was I thinking???? For one I didn't have the lime cold pressed. I ordered it last week and it arrived Monday. Mixed it up that night. Wow!!!! Not to go on a side rant, but FA lime cold pressed blew me away on just how much it was exactly like a lime. I don't know how FA does it but am so glad they do. Whenever I get a new flavor I shake it and but a tiny drop on my finger and taste it as well as smell it from the bottle. I would have sworn I had a real lime.

HIC, you knocked it out of the park. I'm kicking myself for not making this sooner. (made it with the Vienna cream because....well....it's vienna cream :)) My 40ml first batch is going really really fast. Thank you for sharing!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't think it was worthy of staying, just not "special" in any way. It was 2% Lemon Sicily, 1% Custard, 1% Cardamom, with optional additions of .5% Bilberry and/or Coconut. All FA.
Well, I added the additions and I loved it fresh!! But then I love that lemon and cardamom!

new around here.. and was going to order some stuff from ecigexpress... out of lemon sicily. Bullvapes.. out of lemon sicily.. arg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've ordered much from them, mainly to pad my freezer, excellent stuff. Not original bottles, but very good flavoring and nicotine.

well bit the bullet, and ordered about $70 worth of FA flavors i needed from there.. the stuff I know I'll use a lot. Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying FA. Mostly, just used TFA in the past.. but have put in big orders for CAP and now FA over the weekend.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Geesh oh Pete's!! I know I try to set up a cart and wait on a flavor and when it finally gets in one of my others is out o stock. What's up with that?

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well bit the bullet, and ordered about $70 worth of FA flavors i needed from there.. the stuff I know I'll use a lot. Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying FA. Mostly, just used TFA in the past.. but have put in big orders for CAP and now FA over the weekend.
You won't regret it. Teresa refered me there. She said they shipped fast. When I ordered after a week I emailed them asking if they knew what was up. I didn't get an email back, but the next day I checked my mailbox and my order was in it. 1 week later I received another order with the same stuff. I emailed them to let them know and to say I would return the double order. 2 minutes later Grant from Nic River called saying he overnights me my order bc he felt bad it took so long to get to me. It was the post office error as it was en-route to me and then it turned around and then it came back to me. He refused to take anything back and it wasn't even his error. Real nice moral guy.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I finally got lime cold pressed in. I am so going make this in acouple weeks.

I know it's listed as a shake and vape. I know lemon Sicily fades with time. All my mixes age for two to three weeks. I really like lemon in your face flavors. Do you think if I add just 1% lemon FE will it hold the flavor for 2-4 weeks?

I really wish I could shake n vape, but my setup gets completely packed and sealed after every mixing session.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Do you think if I add just 1% lemon FE will it hold the flavor for 2-4 weeks?

That FE flavor tastes like industrial floor wax to me, but if you like it there's no reason not to try it. I agree its a persistent one.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I made a 50ml bottle of this a few days ago, and it's absolutely wonderful! Thanks again for sharing!

ETA: I made the version with the Vienna Cream. Most excellent!

Last edited:

MeetYourVapers

Member For 4 Years
I made this recipe with vienna cream and it was pretty good, but a bit overwhelming.

Then i made it without vienna cream and at 75% flavouring and it was pretty awesome, although i think i'll try it at 50% next time.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I made this recipe with vienna cream and it was pretty good, but a bit overwhelming.
Then i made it without vienna cream and at 75% flavouring and it was pretty awesome, although i think i'll try it at 50% next time.

I'm with you! It seems to me using less flavoring makes for better just-mixed flavor. I'm curious if you also prefer to vape your mixes right away like I do.

MeetYourVapers

Member For 4 Years
To me your recipes taste much more "fresh" right after mixing so yea i prefer making small batches and vaping them in a 2-3 days period.
Is it just flavourart's concetrates that taste great fresh? Because a couple of tpa recipes are really unvapable without the recommended steeping.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Is it just flavourart's concetrates that taste great fresh? Because a couple of tpa recipes are really unvapable without the recommended steeping.

Often times, bakery and creamy flavors taste best to most people after "steeping" (aging, whatever you want to call it). Other brands generally have more flavors that fit that description, so often need time that FA flavors don't. Just my opinion; I know some disagree with me!

PlumberMike

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I Love this recipe HIC! I swear I'm eating a real Lemon Meringue pie! I'm new to DIY and have only used your recipe's so far because they are lighter in flavoring, I have made some pretty good juice thanks to you!!!!

Redey3

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First of all, i decided to finally stop lurking basically just due to HIC's recipes. Really love his work, especially his passion for FA wich, as an Italian vaper, i love and use A LOT

That being said I like this recipe A LOT.
But i have an issue with it : it's like the flavor is sitting in the background and not "popping out". I don't know if i'm explaining myself properly (sorry if that's the case).
I can taste it briefly on the inhale but it's super light, like i said "sitting in the background" of my vape.
Any tips ?
Followed the recipe and used a 70vg/30pg base (maybe that's the problem)
Should i try upping the % ? seems fine to my (small) experience.

Appreciate any sort of advice,
Cheers!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First of all, i decided to finally stop lurking basically just due to HIC's recipes. Really love his work, especially his passion for FA wich, as an Italian vaper, i love and use A LOT

That being said I like this recipe A LOT.
But i have an issue with it : it's like the flavor is sitting in the background and not "popping out". I don't know if i'm explaining myself properly (sorry if that's the case).
I can taste it briefly on the inhale but it's super light, like i said "sitting in the background" of my vape.
Any tips ?
Followed the recipe and used a 70vg/30pg base (maybe that's the problem)
Should i try upping the % ? seems fine to my (small) experience.

Appreciate any sort of advice,
Cheers!
HIC mixes light you may need to up the percentages some folks do and some don't. You need to keep the ratios the same. EG; up 50% a 1% becomes 1.5 and a 0.5% becomes 0.75 ect. It took me a while to get into the lighter mixes, store bought liquid is always higher flavoring than anything you'll find from most of the posters here.

VU Sponsors