Become a Patron!

HIC's CLONE OF HALO'S KRINGLE'S CURSE

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC's Kringle's Curse Clone: So simple to make your own and save some vaping $$. Simple as it is, it took a very long time for me to find the perfect flavoring to match Halo's.

10% Flavor West Candy Cane
optional 1 drop of The Flavor Apprentice Koolada per 5ml of finished juice

Use the Koolada to get the cool effect of Halo's version - or leave it out for a mellower vape with the same flavor.
Shake 'n vape!

(note: FW's history of ingredient disclosure is horrible...then again, so is Halo's.)

Last edited:

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One of the only Candy Cane flavors I haven't tried. You are awesome!! Thank you so much!! This is all my wife vapes and it sucks that Halo only sells 30ml bottles.

L

LadyRed69

HIC.. lol

To 10ml / 50/50VPG
10% Crème de menthe
10% Natural Mint*
2% Eucalyptus Mint
5% Peppermint
2.5% Extreme Ice
2.5% Koolada
1% Sweetener

1 drop Vinegar per 10ml

play with this one, it might be worth it. :D

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HIC's Kringle's Curse Clone: So simple to make your own and save some vaping $$. Simple as it is, it took a very long time for me to find the perfect flavoring to match Halo's.

Use the Koolada to get the cool effect of Halo's version - or leave it out for a mellower vape with the same flavor.
Shake 'n vape!

Is Halo KC a 50vg/50pg mix?? It seems like it could be or maybe 60vg/40pg

Well, I just mixed it up and its definitely not 50/50. I'd say the real thing is more like 70pg/30vg. I'm thinking now I might need to increase the flavoring to 15%. But, I'll let it sit for 24hrs and have my wife give it a try and let her decide if it needs more. Also, I'm not really getting Koolada from the Halo version, you think its really in there??

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Is Halo KC a 50vg/50pg mix?? It seems like it could be or maybe 60vg/40pg

Halo doesn't disclose that, which is why I cloned some of their recipes! (some people who can't tolerate VG or PG would like to vape the flavor.) I'm sure Halo uses more PG than VG, but the exact ratio doesn't matter much in the final flavor. If you're using high VG, you might want some extra flavoring here, maybe 12%. But remember it's easier to add more flavoring than take it out if you use too much.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I can definitely add but its a little harder to subtract flavor. Plus, I know after a day or two these peppermints seem to get increasingly stronger. Right now at least this definitely smells just like the Halo version. Fingers crossed it tastes like it too. I do have one question. I was reading somewhere, and now I can't find where, that Kringle's Curse has some tobacco in it. I don't really get that flavor when vaping but was wondering what you thought. It almost makes sense considering almost all of the Halo flavors are tobacco based.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I can definitely add but its a little harder to subtract flavor. Plus, I know after a day or two these peppermints seem to get increasingly stronger. Right now at least this definitely smells just like the Halo version. Fingers crossed it tastes like it too. I do have one question. I was reading somewhere, and now I can't find where, that Kringle's Curse has some tobacco in it. I don't really get that flavor when vaping but was wondering what you thought. It almost makes sense considering almost all of the Halo flavors are tobacco based.

No tobacco IMO. It's one of the 'gourmet' line, and none of them have tobacco: http://www.halocigs.com/e-liquid/gourmet-flavors.html

they kind of say so: "a sweet distraction from standard Tobacco and Menthol blends."

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Halo's flavors are all very heavy on the PG - it's said that Tribecca is 80pg/20vg (I have nothing to back that up though). I made this clone in 50/50 and it's really an exact clone, even at 50/50 - the flavor is dead on.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Halo's flavors are all very heavy on the PG - it's said that Tribecca is 80pg/20vg (I have nothing to back that up though). I made this clone in 50/50 and it's really an exact clone, even at 50/50 - the flavor is dead on.

Is your Tribeca clone listed here?? I just tried Tribeca for the first time, they shipped a free bottle with the last order I placed for KC, and damn is it good!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is your Tribeca clone listed here?? I just tried Tribeca for the first time, they shipped a free bottle with the last order I placed for KC, and damn is it good!

10% TFA RY4 double, 1% TFA AP :) Crockpot steep for 4 hours.

Okay, so this is an older thread now, but MAN!!!! I happened to order some Candy Cane from FW last week, and always have Koolada on hand. I have been playing with a dupe for Kringle's Curse for about a year now, and had been soooo close, but never right on. I stumbled across this while reading recipes, and I am eternally grateful! It's a perfect match, no doubt about it. We had stopped ordering from Halo because they are so expensive but now we have it again! My husband was so excited!!! Thanks again!!

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I first made this using just the FW flavor my wife complained that it just wasn't the same as the Halo version. So after many trial and error batches I finally got something that she says tastes identical. I did a blind taste test and gave her 3 Kayfuns. 1 with Halo, 1 with my final mix @ 30vg/70pg and 1 with my final mix but at 70vg/30pg. She chose my final mix 30vg/70pg as the real thing, so I was happy!!!

Anyway, here's the recipe @ 6mg nic.

10% Candy Cane (FW)
2% Peppermint (CAP)
2% Koolada (mix up my own from the powder sold at ECig)
5 drops of sweetener/10ml (seems like a lot but she says the Halo is very sweet)
And the key here, I believe was making it a 30vg/70pg mix. Previous attempts were 50/50 and 70vg/30pg but they just didn't cut it. I think the 30vg/70pg is closer to how Halo makes there's.

Thanks again to HIC for pointing me towards the FW candy cane because it is truly the closest.

One question I'm hoping someone can answer about the Halo version. The last 10 bottles I've ordered for my wife have been very hazy in appearance. I contacted Halo they said nothing to worry about, its normal. Even though every previous bottles had been completely clear. Any idea what could now be in the juice that is causing this?!?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
One question I'm hoping someone can answer about the Halo version. The last 10 bottles I've ordered for my wife have been very hazy in appearance. I contacted Halo they said nothing to worry about, its normal. Even though every previous bottles had been completely clear. Any idea what could now be in the juice that is causing this?!?

I haven't ordered anything from Halo in a very long time, but all my bottles of Kringle's were clear. Good luck getting ANY disclosure from them! That's why I copied their flavors that I like. Who knows what changes they've made to get the cloudiness.

Now that your wife is pleased with your DIY, you don't have to vape Halo mystery any more! :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my old bottles of KK are clear (haven't ordered from them since the beginning of the year probably!). And, I'm fairly sure all Halo juices are high PG - around 80pg/20vg.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Shake 'n vape!
This is the first diy I have tried,I placed an order with MFS and they had the Koolada, but no FW candy cane,so I ordered the TFA Peppermint because I plan to try your other recipe for the the thin mint.I have never tried the Halo KK so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like.I made a 10 ml bottle at 6mg nic,10% TFA peppermint and 2 drops of koolada.Not bad,sort of a candy cane flavor,but it seems to need to be sweeter.Does using the FW candy cane give it a sweeter flavor?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Does using the FW candy cane give it a sweeter flavor?

Yes, much sweeter! That's why I use it so often. I have a sweet tooth :)

If you mean my Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies recipe, that uses FlavourArt Peppermint. I don't know if I use TFA (The Flavor Apprentice) Peppermint in anything. To me, TFA's Peppermint has a hint of spearmint that I don't care for.

FlavourArt Peppermint is also a pure peppermint flavor, like Flavor West Candy Cane - but it's much more concentrated, a bit creamier, and not as sweet.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my wife's opinion it still needed sweetener. So that's when I added the 5 drops/10ml. Will see how that treats the coils down the road.

Seehad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is close to what I use clone Heather's Heavenly Vapes Peppermint Blast that I've been working on since day one of DIY. For 50/50 4mg base, I use 13% FW Candy Cane, 2% TFA Peppermint and .5% Koolada. It's rather dull for the first 3 days but really develops the perfect flavor by day 5.

i made this using 100%vg and 6 mg 10mls 1 ml fw c.c. and 10 drops koolada for a total of 11 ml batch. its ok, but it lacks sweet and menthol taste. does it take time for it to mix or cure? i run an atlantus and the 6 mg stuff from halo and that works great...my mix..well..its dull

Last edited:

Seehad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I go pretty light on flavors typically, and really do need close to recommended percentage to get the flavor out of this one. With 50/50 at 13-14%, it still takes a few days to mature. I'm still playing around with our ADV peppermint. My latest batch is 14% candy cane, 1% FA peppermint, 1% TFA Peppermint and .5% Koolada.

Why is that? Time to mature that is, i got some pg base, peppermint and menthol flavors comming, but all i got now is fw candy cane and koolada, im new to mixing but been vaping for years, i use a sigelei 100w box on my aspire atlantis running about 33 watts, halos hits awsome, nice and cool sweet, but my clone batch is muted and dull.. need to make it because halo is $$

Seehad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It takes time for the flavor to permeate.. Also, VG is not as efficient of a flavor delivery as PG.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Halo definitely uses LOTS of PG in Kringle's Curse. (I know because PG gives me a physical reaction.)

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi Head in clouds, first I have to thank you for all your great recipes and many other things (your anti diacetyl minding and full disclosure in every recipe). I tried this recipe and while I think it's close, it's not quite it. FW candy cane is for sure the main ingredient in kringles but in my opinion there is a lack of mint sharpness. It's kinda too smooth to be the only ingredient. My mix have 5 days and taste isn't very strong, even with a 70/30 ratio. I may try a 12-13% recipe with a 80-20, it should be closer but again the FW a bit more on the sweet side than the original. I'll order FA peppermint to see if I can mix it with it. Or maybe TPA creme de menthe.

I'm also on a quest closing in on a subzero recipe posted in e-liquid-recipes dot com by a member. You can see in the comments where I am with it for now. Did you ever worked on that one?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi Head in clouds, first I have to thank you for all your great recipes and many other things (your anti diacetyl minding and full disclosure in every recipe). I tried this recipe and while I think it's close, it's not quite it. FW candy cane is for sure the main ingredient in kringles but in my opinion there is a lack of mint sharpness. It's kinda too smooth to be the only ingredient. My mix have 5 days and taste isn't very strong, even with a 70/30 ratio. I may try a 12-13% recipe with a 80-20, it should be closer but again the FW a bit more on the sweet side than the original. I'll order FA peppermint to see if I can mix it with it. Or maybe TPA creme de menthe.

I'm also on a quest closing in on a subzero recipe posted in e-liquid-recipes dot com by a member. You can see in the comments where I am with it for now. Did you ever worked on that one?

Nic base can make a big difference with simple mint recipes. Of course VG/PG balance is part of it, but so is the nic itself. A lot of the "edge" in Halo liquids comes from their nic. It's not the smoothest. On the other hand, nic that's too rough (and/or too much PG) can take away too much sweetness from this FW flavor. My partner vaped LOTS of Halo and now vapes a steady supply of this clone. We've tried it with every nic we've ever had, and we've both noticed the difference it makes. If you have other (harsher, since your results seem too smooth) nic base, give that a shot.

I've never enjoyed vaping strong menthol, so Subzero isn't one I ever worked on.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use MFS nicotine which has good TH from reviews AFAIK. Which one do you use mainly?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I use MFS nicotine which has good TH from reviews AFAIK. Which one do you use mainly?

I made this recipe when I used WL nic (in PG), so that's what it was flavor-matched with. But now I use VT nic (in VG) almost exclusively. It does not add that Halo-like burrrrn, and it's sweeter than with WL, but that's fine with me and my sweet tooth. Throat hit and nose sting don't appeal to me much any more.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks H.I.C. great recipe.. would you happen to have a recipe for Halo's Shamrock?

No, I don't - it's the only Halo dessert flavor I didn't care for. IIRC, it was a chocolate-spearmint, right?

just made my first try of this one bc the girlfriend loves peppermint EVERYTHING. i did 15% candy cane and .5% koolada. the gf says its great but I could even go for more of a peppermint kick. might experiment with an extra 1% FA peppermint on the next batch. i usually do 60vg/40pg mixes but i went with the 30vg/70pg on this one just to see what I think. seems great overall and I'm guessing pretty easy to tweak to personal tastes. thanks again HIC!

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I originally thought the kringle's curse was more pepperminty than this recipe (wait-->) but I'm pretty sure this is related to a nicotine that does mute flavors.
It seemed that at any percentage I tried of FW candy cane, I'd always get a too much sweet muted peppermint without the clear bright notes of peppermint.

Waiting for the vaperstek nicotine, pretty sure it will be as clear as it gets

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I originally thought the kringle's curse was more pepperminty than this recipe (wait-->) but I'm pretty sure this is related to a nicotine that does mute flavors.
It seemed that at any percentage I tried of FW candy cane, I'd always get a too much sweet muted peppermint without the clear bright notes of peppermint.

Waiting for the vaperstek nicotine, pretty sure it will be as clear as it gets

I tend to agree with HIC on this...
I think the FA Peppermint has a brighter(stronger) flavor than FW Candy Cane, so you'll probably need to add more of this.
And you could always mix up a test batch, without the NIC, to get the flavor profile the way you like it first.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mixed this up 50/50 just like HIC has it written using freedom smokes nic . I've been vaping it since last night. I love it, but I can't help but wonder how good my nic is. It seems the peppermint might be more than my throat can take. It seems a little tender.

I have talin4x4's mix in my pocket to try next.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, I realy liked talon's mix. I have a sweet tooth. The extra peppermint was really nice. It was smoother than expected.

I've done so much peppermint, my throat is sore.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad you like the mix!! Everyone reacts differently to the peppermint and PG. This stuff feels like it's ice cold to me. I can barely do more than a couple puffs of it. My mix is extremely high PG but it makes the mix as close as possible to the real thing. My wife loves it. So much so that I now mix it up in a 500ml bottle for her. Which she then pours into 30ml bottles as needed. But I have cut the sweetener amount in half. The sweetness comes out as the juice sits around.

And it just hit me, I shouldn't add any sweetener at all. I should just be adding a drop or two right into the 30ml bottle. Ohh well, next batch.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just received the halo kringle curse and the recipe changed I'm pretty sure. It's a very green taste. Before it was a sweet peppermint candy taste, but now there is an herbal note that I don't like. It's far from FW candy cane!

Just mixed a 80-20 tonight

9% FW candy cane
1% peppermint FA
1% EM
Pretty sure this will taste much better than the halo I just received, and much closer to the first I tasted in 2014. It needs 5 days steeping in my opinion. Will update

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Just received the halo kringle curse and the recipe changed I'm pretty sure. It's a very green taste. Before it was a sweet peppermint candy taste, but now there is an herbal note that I don't like.

With as many fans as Halo has for Kringle's Curse, it sure seems foolish to change it. Guess everyone will have to DIY it now. :D

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Seriously i'm sure the one I received has a weird taste, and the first one was full candy. Maybe this is not a recipe change but a bad reaction to the cold temperature in my mailbox. My friend also has the same new taste on his side and we do not like it at all.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Update: Tried it with the vaperstek nicotine, wow what a difference. Even a 3 weeks old 12% mix doesn't taste as much as a fresh 10% mix with VT nicotine!!
What a difference! Can't believe what I missed. So sweet, and the most important thing: you can get many subtle notes compared to another brand nicotine.

I'm impressed, I have no word to describe this major difference. Can't wait to try my other recipes, I will for sure reduce flavoring percentage in them. Thanks!!!

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to have to mix up another batch of this. My first batch I loved, but it made my throat a little sore, which I thought was the peppermint. I now know it was the other nic I was using on a vape I Vaped to much of.

I'm using vaper Tek now

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried this and failed miserably. This recipe is what brought me to DIY (and also to these forums), however I am a complete newbie at juice making. The Flavor West Candy Cane tasted like perfume in my mix and not like Kringle's Curse at all.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After I switched to vapers tek nic, I remade this mix. Since then it has been one of my advs.

Are you using a scale to mix? Are you giving all your flavor bottles a good shake before using?

Last edited:

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't received my scale yet, so I used pipettes with lines. I also didn't shake my flavor bottles... I guess I'll try again without being impatient.

Did you let it steep?

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've come to think I'm a mixologist with a minor in shakeology. I hate the cut off timer on my scale, but I use it as a reminder to shake my flavors while I'm mixing, even though they all get a good shaking before the mixing begins.

VU Sponsors