Become a Patron!

Hi All, New To Rebuilding, Need Some Advice

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, first...I'm sorry my first post here is a noob question but I promise to contribute in the future! :)

I've been vaping for about a year, never getting into RDAs or rebuilding at all. Now I'm getting into that aspect a bit more. I purchased a Stingray, a Stillare v3 Clone and a Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone.

I bought some 22 gauge kanthal for my coils but I'm having the hardest time getting the wire to stay put under the post when I attempt to tighten it down, it pops right out.

I know that, with some items, the coils or cotton and stuff they send for free is usually crappy. Is that the case with screws when it comes to RBAs? Are there better quality screws I should get? Or do I just need to keep practicing? That could very well be the case! :)

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer!

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I probably posted this in the wrong forum, can I moderator help me out? I'm sorry.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
22g is close to impossible to use unless if you have post holes. To clamp wire under a screw head i recommend 26g or even 28g.
the prewrapped coils that came with the kanger subtank were good, .5 ohm coils. I see no reason not to use the ones that came with yours.
furthermore, if i were to revert back to when i didnt know how to build id have a rough time learning on those mini decks rtas provide.

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I was starting to wonder if I was mentally challenged!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The go to gauge for Kayfuns is usually 28g. But that's also usually for use with regulated mods as you can overcome the higher resistance by upping the volts. I have no experience building a kayfun for use on a mech. For rda's the go to gauge is usually 24g. You can get good coil geometry with resistances that work out well for building dual coils and running it on a mech. Good luck and have fun.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just keep practicing, maybe watch some build videos, and I'm sure you'll get it.

I'm not personally familiar with any of the gear you're using, but if you have to wrap your wires around a screw which then needs to be tightened (as opposed to a terminal with a wire hole and a screw on top which presses down on the wire) I have found a few little tricks which I use.

First, be sure to wrap the wire clockwise around the screw. Leave a tail which you can pull tightly and hold while tightening the screw. If the wire pops out, back the screw out a bit, pull the wire back under the screw head and hold it in place with a flat head jewelers screwdriver while tightening the screw down at the same time. You may need a 3rd hand to accomplish this... I often use my chin to hold the flathead screwdriver, while holding the rda and wire in one hand, with the Philips driver in the other.

Its fiddly, especially with 22ga and thicker, but if I can do it I'm sure that you can too after some practice.

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I have a trade going with someone that needs my 22 and will trade some smaller gauge.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, first...I'm sorry my first post here is a noob question but I promise to contribute in the future! :)

I've been vaping for about a year, never getting into RDAs or rebuilding at all. Now I'm getting into that aspect a bit more. I purchased a Stingray, a Stillare v3 Clone and a Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone.

I bought some 22 gauge kanthal for my coils but I'm having the hardest time getting the wire to stay put under the post when I attempt to tighten it down, it pops right out.

I know that, with some items, the coils or cotton and stuff they send for free is usually crappy. Is that the case with screws when it comes to RBAs? Are there better quality screws I should get? Or do I just need to keep practicing? That could very well be the case! :)

I know nothing about Kanthal builds. My first builds were Ni200 (for my DNA40 mod). As for screws, the hardware store has little trays of tiny stainless steel screws. There are also tiny stainless washers that might fit your needs.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use 24 guage Kanthal myself on my KF's and no problem.

However, I did have a Russian 91 that I just could not get the wire to stay put under the screws.

So I got some replacement screws and problem solved.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As an aside, do you like that DNA 40? That thing looks awesome!
I feel comfortable with the authentic DNA40 chip in my authentic Hana Modz. I also have a Smok XPro M80 and a Chinese clone of the Hana Modz. The M80 and the clone don't pass the cotton burn test, while the authentic does. However, I will use the XPro and the clone for an RDA, but not for an RTA or for my Smok GCT (Sub Ohm Tank).
I know you've already invested in Kanthal-based technology, and since I have no clue about that stuff, I can't say that temp control is better. But I do know that 28 guage Ni200 wire is soft and easy to work with. It will sever if tightened in the post hole, so consider tiny washers on the screws, and screw the wire under the washers instead of through the post holes. That is, if you decide to go the Ni200 route...

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't say that temp control is better. But I do know that 28 guage Ni200 wire is soft and easy to work with. It will sever if tightened in the post hole, so consider tiny washers on the screws, and screw the wire under the washers instead of through the post holes. That is, if you decide to go the Ni200 route...

^^ This. ^^

That's some of the best advice I've gotten in this area since starting getting into it. The Kanthal I've been using was ok...well, easier, with my Stillare v3 clone because of the third post...but it's much more difficult in my KFL...I know that's probably backwards but I'm stubborn and work things out on my own.

I understand electricity very well and I'm not going to blow myself up, so if I don't feel something came out right I don't use it (common sense, but I've seen people pulse with dry wicking materials when checking for hot spots, ignoring hotspots, leaving coils and leads sitting on their decks etc...real stupid stuff...

I'm a big fat noob, but I'm not an idiot, and I'm learning and having a great time with it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is a common problem....OK first you're gonna need a 9lb sledgehanmmer

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HA! I think you're right...and for a clown hammer for my head the amount of times I've had to bang it :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
get used to it....at least for a little while ....you have to pay your dues....eventually you'll be able to build blind,drunk or asleep...after all it's just a dripper..be grateful you didn't start out on a genny.

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
get used to it....at least for a little while ....you have to pay your dues....eventually you'll be able to build blind,drunk or asleep...after all it's just a dripper..be grateful you didn't start out on a genny.

I am enjoying every minute of it. I've gotten it right and had some great nights sitting back with some Game of Thrones or and Pats game (don't hate me because I'm beautiful) and dripped. And it all started with those little white things...now I've got a ton of different stuff.

I love tackling new things...just the way I've been all my life.

Remote control car broke, took it apart and look at it inside. Walkman didn't work, took it apart and tried to fix it.

Windows broken, researched and fixed it myself. Now I'm in IT...so I love taking on a new challenge.

I can't take all the credit...I truly believe this community to be one of the best, most user-friendly around...I've done more trades and gotten more stuff paid-forward and then paid things forward myself I have to give credit to the community too...

NikoZupan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone I'm sorry for asking here I'm new but how do I make a new post myself?

Norwood

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone I'm sorry for asking here I'm new but how do I make a new post myself?
When you go into a forum, there is a button called "Post New Thread"...

Here is where it's located at the top:

Capture.JPG

VU Sponsors