Become a Patron!

HG2s caused me a headache.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Before went to bed my RTA was working fine. Cylon read 50% battery life left. This morning when I went to fire it I wasn’t getting much flavor ,clouds , or anything. I bumped it up to 80 W and I normally stay at 68.

I took it apart and everything looked good. Coils and cotton. I was scratching my head at work. So I call my local shop and he asked me if I’ve looked inside the RTA etc. YEP

He was like what are using for batteries and how do you charge them?

These are maybe 6-8 months old and I used to charge them in my Alien 220w up until a month ago when I got the NItecore D4.

I put new VTC5A’s in and it was running back to normal. Batteries die like that?

Those were my newest HG2s, I have 3 older pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Before went to bed my RTA was working fine. Cylon read 50% battery life left. This morning when I went to fire it I wasn’t getting much flavor ,clouds , or anything. I bumped it up to 80 W and I normally stay at 68.

I took it apart and everything looked good. Coils and cotton. I was scratching my head at work. So I call my local shop and he asked me if I’ve looked inside the RTA etc. YEP

He was like what are using for batteries and how do you charge them?

These are maybe 6-8 months old and I used to charge them in my Alien 220w up until a month ago when I got the NItecore D4.

I put new VTC5A’s in and it was running back to normal. Batteries die like that?

Those were my newest HG2s, I have 3 older pairs.

Batteries do have a certain number of "charge cycles" that they're good for. I don't have the first clue about the math involved, but what it comes down to is that yes, batteries do have to be replaced every so often -- if you're vaping daily at more than 50 watts, you're gonna hit that limit pretty quick. 6 months seems about right, for such high wattage daily use. Nothing wrong with those batteries at all -- you just used them up. :)

Andria

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah. In my Alien 220w, with Cloud Beast King coils, I ran those batteries from 80-100w.

I figured they'd die eventually but it hasn't happened until today.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems the better charger will help some w/battery life. If/when new batteries, condsider VCT6 / samsung 30Q.
Sony has a new VCT6A that might not be avail atm and I haven't seen mooch test on it, but should be better than VCT6 ?

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems the better charger will help some w/battery life. If/when new batteries, condsider VCT6 / samsung 30Q.
Sony has a new VCT6A that might not be avail atm and I haven't seen mooch test on it, but should be better than VCT6 ?
Yeah I bet the Alien 220w charging was not helping at all.

I LOVE the Nitecore D4. It charges my 18650s, protected flashlight batteries, and my Energizer AAs.

Within the past 5 days, I've received VTC5a's and Samsung 30Q's in the mail. It's a coincidence this happened.

I have some VTC6's coming Monday too.

Es9J3DB.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Seems to me I've heard that using a slower charge helps the batteries last longer. I run my mods at less than 10w, so I don't really worry about it, generally always charge at 1A, and if I had a 2A charger, I'd use that too. But y'all vaping at such high wattages might need to charge more slowly, to get more life out of the batteries before they're kaput.

Andria

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems to me I've heard that using a slower charge helps the batteries last longer. I run my mods at less than 10w, so I don't really worry about it, generally always charge at 1A, and if I had a 2A charger, I'd use that too. But y'all vaping at such high wattages might need to charge more slowly, to get more life out of the batteries before they're kaput.

Andria

Well , now I don’t go above 70w.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well , now I don’t go above 70w.

Heh. That's very high wattage. Anything over about 30w is very high wattage. And 30w is 3 times more watts than I use. :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
c747500c24923e16e0256d48cd2fb9be.jpg

I could slow charge them. Never looked into that.

If I charge 2 at once, I either use 2 separate chargers, OR, I set it for .5A, else they get too hot -- in fact, my Xtar won't do 1A charging if both bays are filled; I discovered the heat problem when I was once charging 2 18650s in my Luc2 charger, at 1A -- the thing got so hot I could barely pick it up, so I unplugged it and got the batteries out -- which, thankfully, were only warm, not hot. I let them cool down for a couple hrs before I tried to finish charging them, and they seemed ok, but that gave me a wake-up call, so I got the 2nd charger then, the Xtar, which are undoubtedly the safest chargers money can buy. and they're competitively priced with all the others, so it's a no-brainer.

I had to throw away my Nitecore i4 when it got so hot charging ONE 18350 that I couldn't pick it up. I'll never buy another Nitecore after that.

Andria

VU Sponsors