Become a Patron!

Help with Smok Alien 220w kit, v8-t8 coils and amp question

Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance that I'm vaping safely with my Smok Alien 220w mod + v8-t8 coil.

I've bought the Smok Alien 220w kit a few months ago and have been vaping with it without too much drama (except some leaking and spit back issues) using the Q2 (0.4ohm) coils. Yesterday I ran out of Q2 coils so I installed the V8-baby-T8 (0.15ohm) octuple coil that came with the kit.

First attempts at a hit using the v8-t8 I got an error message 'don't abuse restrictions' and freaked out a little. But after a quick google, seems like I either accidentally selected 'N' to the new coil prompt or just didn't see it at first. I unscrewed the tank, re-screwed, selected Y for new coil and error was gone. No dramas.

My first question is more about the feel of the v8-t8 compared to the Q2. I'm not sure if I've just become so used to the Q2 but the v8-t8 feels very weird - I have to inhale/pull a lot harder with the v8-t8 and it doesn't feel like a lot of air is getting through. It does feel pretty smooth and getting decent taste thou. Could there be something wrong with the coil (i.e. shorting, firing issue) or am I just being overly sensitive and need to get used to the new design and feel?

My second questions is about battery safety with these coils. I'm using 2x Sony VTC5 and have been vaping with the Q2s at around 55w. But the v8-t8 coils recommended range is 60 to 80w which I'm not used to. When I did my first hit with the v8-t8 at 60w, I noticed the amp reading on the Alien display was reading around 20-21amps. Again, at first I freaked out as I thought I was exceeding the amp limit of the batteries but am I right in my second thought that because the mod is running of 2x VTC5s, I'm not anywhere near the safe limit of the set up (2 x 20amp) and actually only drawing 10amps per battery?

Lastly, I don't intend to vape any higher than around 65-70w but was just wondering what the maximum watts I could go to this set up (2x VTC5, v8-t8 coil) with out going into danger territory? My basic calculations were as follows;

At 85w, using discharge end voltage (minus a bit more for added wiggle room) of 2.2v, I would be drawing 19.3amps per battery. So I assume 85w or so is the safety limit?

Any help or peace of mind with the above would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
1) The feel of the coils, yes there will be a difference, one might have less airflow and less heat flux to vaporize liquid (the Q2 coils) where the V8-T8 coils being more wire in them will be warmer and the airflow may be a bit restrictive depending on how the coils are situated. It is completely normal to notice such a difference.

2) Disregard what the mod is saying in amps, there are two amp signals with a regulated mod like the Alien 220w, the amp push, or amps being supplied to the coils by the control board, this amp reading is based off standard "Ohm's Law" we use with mechanical mods Volts/Resistance (Ohms) = Amps and can be significantly higher than the amp pull which is completely safe as the it is the board controlling this signal. The second is the amp pull, or the amps from the batteries to the control board, this is the deciding safety amp rating the board does not display and is a bit of a complex formula but all you need are the variables.

The mod is a series battery configuration, in this configuration the voltage is X number of batteries, same Mah and CDR of a single battery, the Alien 220W discharges batteries down 2.9v lowest and 4.2v fresh charge per battery, so X2 batteries we get 5.8v lowest to 8.4v highest voltage ranges. Not all power from the batteries is supplied to the coils, this is called the efficiency rating and can be between 85% efficiency to 97% efficiency with most mods falling into a 90% efficiency rating. We already know what watts you are running, and the VTC5 battery is rated for 20amps CDR, so the formula

Watts Set/Lowest Battery Charge/90% = Maximum Amps or Max CDR of a Battery X 90% X Lowest Battery Charge = Maximum Watts You can Run

85watts Set/5.8v/90%=16.2835 amp Maximum
20amps X 90% X 5.8v = 104.4watts maximum

cloudvape

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The "Don't Abuse Protects" error message happens when you unscrew and rescrew the atomizer onto the mod without the screen being on. So press the fire button before screwing the atomizer on to essentially keep the mod "on" and prevent the error message.

Thank you for the quick and super helpful responses!! I'm currently living in a pretty remote Himalayan country and with no vape shop or face to face advice for many many kms so this forum has been a lifesaver for the short time I've been browsing and using it for good tips.

Definitely seems redundant to put the amp reading on the mod that is not indicative of amp pull of the battery to the control board. And glad to know I'm not going beyond the limits at my base range of 65w.

VU Sponsors