Become a Patron!

help with rayon wick

merememories

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone, I bought this box of rayon from amazon

51RezvxrFYL.jpg

and tried it. and I didn't get the flavor i was expecting from all the reviews about rayon being better than cotton.

can someone please tell me their procedure of wicking with rayon

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Rayon needs to be tight in the coil and the tails sticking out generally need to be trimmed thinner. It's difficult to give more specific advice without seeing your build.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
should I soak it in boiling water ?
I don't think there's anything to be gained by boiling or otherwise trying to "wash" rayon, although I'll say that I strongly prefer medical-grade rayon balls over the Graham "beauty coil" stuff.

merememories

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think there's anything to be gained by boiling or otherwise trying to "wash" rayon, although I'll say that I strongly prefer medical-grade rayon balls over the Graham "beauty coil" stuff.
can you link me to one? i got this one as it was recommended in a reddit post

merememories

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the same kind you use, and much prefer it to anything I've tried, though I can't say I've tried medical. As Rossum said, posting a pic of how you wicked your coil could help some.
I would do it next time as I replaced it with cotton. but to give you an idea since you have the same box, I used the same width that came from the box didnt cut it on 3mm coil. and the leads were laying on deck well nicely not too much and not just touching.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
can you link me to one? i got this one as it was recommended in a reddit post
Google TIDI 969162 -- they're what I use. I got 1000 more than 3 years ago; that's pretty close to a lifetime supply.

However, I'm with @Huckleberried -- If you can't come to terms with the beauty coil you already have, medical grade balls aren't going to be a panacea either.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would do it next time as I replaced it with cotton. but to give you an idea since you have the same box, I used the same width that came from the box didnt cut it on 3mm coil. and the leads were laying on deck well nicely not too much and not just touching.
Ohhh, if you used the whole width, pull some off. I use a 3mm coil and pull about 1/3 off and use that, maybe even a little less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohhh, if you used the whole width, pull some off. I use a 3mm coil and pull about 1/3 off and use that, maybe even a little less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ditto. I generally build 3mm dual coils and I split the rayon rope in half most of the time. Sometimes I use a bit more than half when splitting the rope so the 2nd wick won't be as tight as the first one I wicked so I cut another rope and use 2/3 of it.

I would thin the tails more.
ditto again. I thin the tails a LOT in RDA's. You want to trim them into an arrowhead shape. It is a bit trickier in RTA depending on the juice well/deck type as you need to thin it still but not so much that it would cause leaking.

There is a big thread over on ECF with a lot of tips and tricks and people that use nothing but rayon. It is all I have used for over a year. Right now I have 1 rda and 4 x boreas v1 running it in rotation. The boreas are very easy to wick with it since it doesn't have traditional juice wells that have to be stuffed, I just thin the tails like I would an RDA and lay them on the deck to cover the juice holes.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rayon has to be almost coil distorting tight as your wicking. That leads to massive thick tails especially if your using a wide ID coil. Its those thick tails that cause the problems with rayon.
Forget everything to do with cotton cause rayon acts opposite to how cotton reacts in a atty. It is not cotton of any sort...not even close to it once you get the hang on how to use rayon properly.
Some say rayon shrinks...it doesn't but settles as you juice the coil so your super tight coil does loosen some after being juiced. It settles cause the juice flows outside the rayon fiber so it doesn't expand unlike cotton that the juice flows inside the fiber thus expanding the fiber.
Brush the tails with pointy tweezers, pin or anything pointy to remove the bulk and straighten out the fibers, anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulk from brushing the tail. Hold down one side as your brushing the other not to remove fibers from the coil then cut the excess off rather than pulling them.
Less is more with the rayon tails, too much bulk or tails will choke the coil.
If there is a breakin taste using rayon then your atty is wicked WRONG, probably too loose but the taste will go away after a while. properly wicked rayon build has NO breakin taste what so ever.
Making bunnie ears then packing down dry wicking into the atty is wrong with rayon. Brush the bulk out of the dry wick first making all the fibers straight and pretty then juicing the wick and proceed to put it into the channel or well trying to keep the fibers straight. A mish mash of wicking and the juice won't flow nicely to the coil so shortest route having straight fibers, even having some "shoulders" to be sure the last coil wrap isn't exposed is OK.
No need to boil or rinse rayon but having clean hands is a must.
Take that box then cut it into however many foot parcels then ziplock the parcels. It will get dusty over time cause the box lasts for eons and just gets crap falling inside every time you get some more wick.
I've been wicking my subtank mini's, TFV4's, Merlins and Kayfuns with rayon for well over 2 years now and unless some earth shattering new wicking material comes around I will never wick my attys with anything other than rayon.

Thinning the tail.... don't bother with what he's doing but at the 30:25 mark he shows how to thin the tail with tweezers. Its the only example that I came across and changed the way I use to trim my wick with scissors but now thin the tail with exceptional results.

Last edited:

merememories

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rayon has to be almost coil distorting tight as your wicking. That leads to massive thick tails especially if your using a wide ID coil. Its those thick tails that cause the problems with rayon.
Forget everything to do with cotton cause rayon acts opposite to how cotton reacts in a atty. It is not cotton of any sort...not even close to it once you get the hang on how to use rayon properly.
Some say rayon shrinks...it doesn't but settles as you juice the coil so your super tight coil does loosen some after being juiced. It settles cause the juice flows outside the rayon fiber so it doesn't expand unlike cotton that the juice flows inside the fiber thus expanding the fiber.
Brush the tails with pointy tweezers, pin or anything pointy to remove the bulk and straighten out the fibers, anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulk from brushing the tail. Hold down one side as your brushing the other not to remove fibers from the coil then cut the excess off rather than pulling them.
Less is more with the rayon tails, too much bulk or tails will choke the coil.
If there is a breakin taste using rayon then your atty is wicked WRONG, probably too loose but the taste will go away after a while. properly wicked rayon build has NO breakin taste what so ever.
Making bunnie ears then packing down dry wicking into the atty is wrong with rayon. Brush the bulk out of the dry wick first making all the fibers straight and pretty then juicing the wick and proceed to put it into the channel or well trying to keep the fibers straight. A mish mash of wicking and the juice won't flow nicely to the coil so shortest route having straight fibers, even having some "shoulders" to be sure the last coil wrap isn't exposed is OK.
No need to boil or rinse rayon but having clean hands is a must.
Take that box then cut it into however many foot parcels then ziplock the parcels. It will get dusty over time cause the box lasts for eons and just gets crap falling inside every time you get some more wick.
I've been wicking my subtank mini's, TFV4's, Merlins and Kayfuns with rayon for well over 2 years now and unless some earth shattering new wicking material comes around I will never wick my attys with anything other than rayon.

Thinning the tail.... don't bother with what he's doing but at the 30:25 mark he shows how to thin the tail with tweezers. Its the only example that I came across and changed the way I use to trim my wick with scissors but now thin the tail with exceptional results.

That's is really informative, I am not a native English speaker so I will read it many times till I get it. But may I ask you to provide video tutorial, that would be so awesome. Because I really want to get the proper way of wicking with rayon

VU Sponsors