Become a Patron!

Help with high (er) ohm building

Hey all. I mainly drip and am used to sub-ohm. I got caught up in all the fancy coils (zippers, twisted, claptons, fused, staggered, stagged, stitched and everything in between) but am little experienced in anything above 1 ohm.

Now I'm wanting to change gears and build higher. Mainly because I've been making my own juice for about 6 months, and some recipes/flavors simply don't perform at high power/ low ohms.

What kind of builds/ohms/watts work for you all?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've never been a sub-ohmer. I'm MTL on plain old tanks. With my protanks, depending on what mod I'm using I go anywhere from 1.2 up to 2.5. 30gauge wire is what I typically use, sometime 32 for the higher end ones. I just ordered some 29 gauge to try and work with my Lemo a bit.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use RDA's and I make my own juice, each RDA seems to have it's sweet spot for what type of coil I am using. Right now I have started using 28ga. parallel coils in my gear. To get the best flavor out of my RDA's I have had to:

Trident=1.1-1.3 ohm 28ga twisted micro
Magma=Parallel .7-.9 ohm 28ga (absolute best of all my rda's for flavor right now)
Legion=close to the Magma
Holmes=.7-1.0 ohm 28ga twisted micro (still working on a parallel for this one)
Quasar=1.1-1.5 ohm 28ga micro
Nixon= On par with the Magma, using the same builds as shown with the Magma.

All of my stuff is run off single 18650 mech mods.

While not everything is above sub ohm most of it is right on the border of it so I listed it. This is just where I find the best flavor for my gear. My juice is 70%vg/30%pg. Not sure why but it seems the smaller the chamber the rda has I have to go to a higher resistance in order not to just burn the flavor away.

Keep in mind the only kanthal I have is 28ga. and I plan to get some 26/30/32 pretty soon so I can play with them as well. The ramp up time on the higher resistance coils is what I am trying to work on now so I am hoping to cure that with other wire.

Last edited:

Spent

Member For 4 Years
I always thought lower was better. Or that is what I heard. A wile ago I built a Kayfun 4 at 2.5 --- 3mm mandrel, 28 gage kanthal, 13 wraps , cotton. 15 to 25 watts.

I love it nice cool big clouds, batteries last a long time. I keep building that KF4 that way. But like many others with my ever growing stable of hardware I continually tinker all over the place. But lower isn't always better. I do enjoy the hobby.

RonMack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use a Kayfun Lite 2.mm inner diameter 29 guage A1 kanthal 8-10 wraps get me between 1.5 - 2.0 with F5 cotton wick slightly dense for my all day vape 50/50 juice DIY works for me, I do have a few drippers that I play around with but not too often.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I always thought lower was better. Or that is what I heard.
But lower isn't always better.
That is the conclusion to which I'm coming.

Got my GS-Tank. Came with a .15Ω Ni coil. Used it. It was kind of "Meh..." Put one of the 1.5Ω coils in. Flavour popped.

Now experimenting with a Crius. Put a pair of the provided coils in. Came out to .32Ω. Getting lots of vapour, but the taste is lacking. I'm still experimenting with wicking--wanting to get that optimized, first. But I'm going to see how high I can go with 26 ga. Kanthal in the thing. I think I can get it up to at least .6<something> ohms. I may have to try 28 ga. or something, to get it where I want.

Yes, yes: It's Great Phun blowing big cloudz :), but what I really want is flavour. And I suspect higher resistance is part of the way to get there.

RonMack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use RDA's and I make my own juice, each RDA seems to have it's sweet spot for what type of coil I am using. Right now I have started using 28ga. parallel coils in my gear. To get the best flavor out of my RDA's I have had to:

Trident=1.1-1.3 ohm 28ga twisted micro
Magma=Parallel .7-.9 ohm 28ga (absolute best of all my rda's for flavor right now)
Legion=close to the Magma
Holmes=.7-1.0 ohm 28ga twisted micro (still working on a parallel for this one)
Quasar=1.1-1.5 ohm 28ga micro
Nixon= On par with the Magma, using the same builds as shown with the Magma.

All of my stuff is run off single 18650 mech mods.

While not everything is above sub ohm most of it is right on the border of it so I listed it. This is just where I find the best flavor for my gear. My juice is 70%vg/30%pg. Not sure why but it seems the smaller the chamber the rda has I have to go to a higher resistance in order not to just burn the flavor away.

Keep in mind the only kanthal I have is 28ga. and I plan to get some 26/30/32 pretty soon so I can play with them as well. The ramp up time on the higher resistance coils is what I am trying to work on now so I am hoping to cure that with other wire.
Just my experience 32g is so thin its prone to break 29-30 is the smallest I'm willing to go I'm rebuilding a kangar t2 for my wife at 2.2 she just like that tank 30 gauge 10 wraps around a 1.5mm rod

VU Sponsors