Become a Patron!

HELP: Stripped grub nut

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
OBS Crius problem:

Upon loosening one of the 4 grub nuts with the provided hex screw driver, it rounded out and will not come off the deck. What can I do before I try to send this back to fasttech for a replacement. SMH. This is so frustrating, and now I have to deal with these long a$$ transit times...

I hope someone has a solution. Please! Ty.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1456755875904.jpg
Tried putting in a flathead thats barely a bit bigger, nope. Tried a allen screw driver 1 size bigger, nope. Tried tapping it in a bit, didn't work, actually chipped a bit of the insulator. Smh. Contacting OBS and fasttech right now. It's gonna be a pain to get replaced I feel. Might just be easier to replace the damn tank.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Can you buy just the base anywhere?
Havent looked around for that yet. Was thinking about that. Gonna start shopping around. Got any recommendations? Wasn't sure if you could buy just parts of a tank vs the whole thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did a quick search. FastTech, Gearbest, efun. I've never bought from anything from any of them, though.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there any part of the grub sticking out? It looks like there may be just a little stuck out in your picture. Maybe you could grab it with some small needle nose pliers?

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
like there may be just a little stuck out in your picture. Maybe you could grab it with some small needle nose pliers?
Not home right now. I doubt it, but I will try later. This blows, didnt even get to use the friggin thing. Smh. It tightened down fine, but I wanted to take the coil out, so I was loosening it, it felt like it was turning counterclockwise but then I noticed that it kept on turning without getting any looser...

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a long shot with the pliers, but you never know. Just go easy with it and turn it really slow.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I used a Phillips head or a Torx head in similar size and at angle. You will need sufficient pressure on the side and pushing in but with some elbow grease it will come out. Those Set Screws are M2.5x4mm, they sell 304 SS versions of them online and hardened versions on Ebay. I would pick yourself up a nice 1.27mm Driver thats made to the correct tolerances, the allen keys that comes with these RTA's are not the perfect tolerance and they strip them easily. ?Using the correct driver you will NEVER strip one out.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used a Phillips head or a Torx head in similar size and at angle. You will need sufficient pressure on the side and pushing in but with some elbow grease it will come out. Those Set Screws are M2.5x4mm, they sell 304 SS versions of them online and hardened versions on Ebay. I would pick yourself up a nice 1.27mm Driver thats made to the correct tolerances, the allen keys that comes with these RTA's are not the perfect tolerance and they strip them easily. ?Using the correct driver you will NEVER strip one out.
will those screws fit in a Velocity clone?

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
It's a long shot with the pliers, but you never know. Just go easy with it and turn it really slow.
ed34ef460085c27dc20e7aff278bc88c.jpg
camera sucks. But it's the top left screw. Doesn't stick out enough. I tried with pliers. It doesn't bite. G_G

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not worth the headache it's causing you. Either send it back or just use your deck with two posts. No doubt it's not a super expensive dripper, anyway...

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
It's not worth the headache it's causing you. Either send it back or just use your deck with two posts. No doubt it's not a super expensive dripper, anyway...
Sad you might be right. I may just purchase one from eBay while I try to RMA this. =[

Thanks for all your help.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 42401
Tried putting in a flathead thats barely a bit bigger, nope. Tried a allen screw driver 1 size bigger, nope. Tried tapping it in a bit, didn't work, actually chipped a bit of the insulator. Smh. Contacting OBS and fasttech right now. It's gonna be a pain to get replaced I feel. Might just be easier to replace the damn tank.

Actually, I think Fasttech will just send you a new one without much runaround. I guess you've emailed them the photos. In the meantime, enjoy your two-post Velocity.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Actually, I think Fasttech will just send you a new one without much runaround. I guess you've emailed them the photos. In the meantime, enjoy your two-post Velocity.
I have not sent them pics yet. But I spoke with someone on their online chat, and it sounds like I might have to send this one in before they do anything else...smh.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I had this issue with my Double Vision RDA Earlier and with some effort and a Torx bit I got it out enough to get it out with a pair of pliers...

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sad you might be right. I may just purchase one from eBay while I try to RMA this. =[

Thanks for all your help.
Check out 3f vape...you might like what they have. Still, a three week wait...

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not sent them pics yet. But I spoke with someone on their online chat, and it sounds like I might have to send this one in before they do anything else...smh.
Not worth sending it back...postage, customs, etc...I would GUESS (I don't know)...

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sad, but they have to do that to avoid people taking advantage of them. It's a shame what some people will do these days.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A two posthole RDA isn't necessarily a bad thing...but it would bug me, also.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most ebay sellers will send a new one just to avoid having a case opened on them. The 100% feedback sellers especially don't want a case opened!

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
So according to fasttech, I need to attach a photo when opening a ticket, which I did. I got a response from them saying that they want me to upload a video of me attempting to remove the screw, onto a 3rd part website such as YouTube... Smh.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fasttech will.send you a replacement deck with just proof via pictures. All you have to do is ask. You DONT have to send it back. I've gone through this twice.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Fasttech will.send you a replacement deck with just proof via pictures. All you have to do is ask. You DONT have to send it back. I've gone through this twice.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk
I hope you're right. I made a video for them as requested. Thanks for sharing your experience.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A left handed drill bit (easy out kits usually contain them) sometimes works and if not follow up with the easy out (screw extractor). Then use proper replacement screws and a proper tool. Those four items should fix your problem and if you start with proper screws and a proper tool for any other grub screw using atty's, you can avoid this in the future. I've seen several fantastic atomizers make their owners want to throw them away because of low quality screws and tools. Fatdaddyvapes.com has replacement screws (made specifically for our use) and the other stuff can all be found at lowes or similar. Good luck.

Just to add, don't let shitty screws and wrenches make you avoid all grub screw atty's. They secure leads better than any other type of post screw when quality stuff is used. Some may disagree, but in my experience....

VU Sponsors