Become a Patron!

Help & recipes for people that can't taste strawberry flavors.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, have you tried adding sweetners? We can probably assume that eliquid was sweetened. I'm curious as to what you've tried. I was able to track down some Stevia and I'll give it a try soon.

Haven't tried much sweetener. Maybe in a couple but it wasn't much so it didn't work. Since making this thread l, I found posts on Reddit that say sweetener will bring out more in the strawberry. Curious how much you actually need to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't tried much sweetener. Maybe in a couple but it wasn't much so it didn't work. Since making this thread l, I found posts on Reddit that say sweetener will bring out more in the strawberry. Curious how much you actually need to add.

It's probably the same one I saw by Wayne Walker, he runs DIYorDIE. He has some pretty popular recipes he's made and he uses sweeteners often. I've tried a few of his and most are good. You can find his stuff on ELR and his site. I think he does a good job.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's probably the same one I saw by Wayne Walker, he runs DIYorDIE. He has some pretty popular recipes he's made and he uses sweeteners often. I've tried a few of his and most are good. You can find his stuff on ELR and his site. I think he does a good job.

Wow just looked at the "my dude" recipe and it has 2% sweetener. I've never even got close to that high. I'm gonna mix that one up

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow just looked at the "my dude" recipe and it has 2% sweetener. I've never even got close to that high. I'm gonna mix that one up

What is your PG/VG ratio? I almost never use EM or sweeteners but I also mix high VG ... you might not need as much depending on your ratio.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just tried RF SC strawberry and i can taste a little strawberry as a S&V

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
80vg/20pg

Yeah, you and I are pretty close on ratio ... if you use the full 2% sweetener it might be overbearingly sweet, at least it would be for me anyway. I'd probably start with 0.5% and go up from there if necessary. I do think it amplifies the strawberry a little bit but too much and it starts to detract making too much like candy, to my tastes anyway.

That recipe already has Sweet Strawberry (CAP) which I find to be more of a candied strawberry anyway. I think that's why he used another, more earthy strawberry (TFA) in combination with it; others might work equally well or even better depending on your tastes. I wanted to try Inawera strawberry in place of the TFA but haven't yet.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, you and I are pretty close on ratio ... if you use the full 2% sweetener it might be overbearingly sweet, at least it would be for me anyway. I'd probably start with 0.5% and go up from there if necessary. I do think it amplifies the strawberry a little bit but too much and it starts to detract making too much like candy, to my tastes anyway.

That recipe already has Sweet Strawberry (CAP) which I find to be more of a candied strawberry anyway. I think that's why he used another, more earthy strawberry (TFA) in combination with it; others might work equally well or even better depending on your tastes. I wanted to try Inawera strawberry in place of the TFA but haven't yet.

I can't taste cap sweet strawberry or tfa strawberry and I haven't tried that much sweetener before. So I mixed it up as is to see if the sweetener will bring them out. If it's too sweet but I can taste strawberry, at least I'll know it worked.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also just made up RF SC strawberry rhubarb and I don't taste anything as a S&V

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I almost always skip the sweetener and will only add some (like 25% of what it calls for) if it isn't tastey without it

The exception is TFA Brown Sugar Extra, but if it calls for more than .5 % I usually tone that down too

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That one intrigued me but other RF SC flavors I tried were underwhelming so I decided against trying it.

Good call. I have 23 different real flavors and I'm on the verge of giving them away. I'm not gonna wait weeks to taste what's supposed to be a super concentrate.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I almost always skip the sweetener and will only add some (like 25% of what it calls for) if it isn't tastey without it

The exception is TFA Brown Sugar Extra, but if it calls for more than .5 % I usually tone that down too

Same here. I never add sweetener but a couple of us are testing the effects it has on strawberry. We'll see.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good call. I have 23 different real flavors and I'm on the verge of giving them away. I'm not gonna wait weeks to taste what's supposed to be a super concentrate.

lol, my exact problem with them. They aren't bad flavors but they certainly aren't super concentrated, in my experience anyway.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol, my exact problem with them. They aren't bad flavors but they certainly aren't super concentrated, in my experience anyway.

I was also underwhelmed by RF SB. In fact of all the ones I have, I like it the least.

The My Dude recipe is pretty good, imo. I made two subs to it.
1. I subbed Jungle Flavor Sweet Strawberry for the CAP. I've been using it for a while and it's similar, just not as candied.
2. I have to use CAP VBIC, the TFA kills me.

I truly can't go over 60vg, so I'm using the full 2% sweetener, but I'm going to try Stevia the next time I mix it, probably at 1%.

With that being said, I think I'm at the point where I'm tired of the Custard, Cheesecake, and Ice Cream parts of all the SB recipes. I'm finding that using simpler creams tastes better and they don't overwhelm the SB. The best I've tried to date is the Sweet & Creamy recipe with Fresh Cream and Marshmallow. Also, I've been using TPA Marshmallow & Whipped Cream and that's pretty good.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was also underwhelmed by RF SB. In fact of all the ones I have, I like it the least.

The My Dude recipe is pretty good, imo. I made two subs to it.
1. I subbed Jungle Flavor Sweet Strawberry for the CAP. I've been using it for a while and it's similar, just not as candied.
2. I have to use CAP VBIC, the TFA kills me.

I truly can't go over 60vg, so I'm using the full 2% sweetener, but I'm going to try Stevia the next time I mix it, probably at 1%.

With that being said, I think I'm at the point where I'm tired of the Custard, Cheesecake, and Ice Cream parts of all the SB recipes. I'm finding that using simpler creams tastes better and they don't overwhelm the SB. The best I've tried to date is the Sweet & Creamy recipe with Fresh Cream and Marshmallow. Also, I've been using TPA Marshmallow & Whipped Cream and that's pretty good.

Omg I just tried the my dude and all I taste is pepper from the tfa ice cream. Disgusting. Gonna make another with cap.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Omg I just tried the my dude and all I taste is pepper from the tfa ice cream. Disgusting. Gonna make another with cap.

Ok, that's interesting. We get the Pepper from the VBIC and very little SB. We must have the same genetics. We're probably descended from Genghis Khan or something.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Supposedly, that pepper taste from TFA VBIC will dissipate with a decent steep. I can't say for certain because I've always just used CAP but it might be worth holding on to your mix for a little while to see if that happens.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Supposedly, that pepper taste from TFA VBIC will dissipate with a decent steep. I can't say for certain because I've always just used CAP but it might be worth holding on to your mix for a little while to see if that happens.

I've tried that and found it weakened but didn't disappear. Last week I was cleaning out my juice stash and found some bottles from January with VBIC in them. It still was peppery. I've been using CAP for awhile now. I've got an order on the way with FW and Liquid Barn VBIC. The LB is supposedly quite good...we'll see.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got an order on the way with FW and Liquid Barn VBIC. The LB is supposedly quite good...we'll see.

Let us know what you think of those, I've been thinking about trying them too. I've heard good things about them also but it would be especially helpful to know the opinion of someone who tastes the pepper in TFA VBIC.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let us know what you think of those, I've been thinking about trying them too. I've heard good things about them also but it would be especially helpful to know the opinion of someone who tastes the pepper in TFA VBIC.

Will do.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have LB vanilla ice cream and get no pepper taste from it.

Ok so I made my dude with 3 subs. FA marshmallow, Cap sweet cream and Cap vanilla bean ice cream. No pepper taste and I actually can taste the strawberry! I believe after a couple day steep the strawberry will come out even more.

So for a first test, I would say sweetener will bring out strawberry more. Will have to test some others.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

At least your making some progress.
Seems like your over sensitive to some of the Vanilla type flavorings, (or maybe you have to adjust the amounts way down).
And of course under sensitive to the Strawberry flavors.
Our taste buds must be wired differently.

Sounds like the simpler 2-3 flavor recipes work better for you.
Have you tried any of the various Yogurt flavors yet?
They are more like the Cream types at least.

Every time I've tried more than 3 drops of sweetener, or stevia, the sweetness would overpower everything else.
Might have something to do with being a diabetic tho.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least your making some progress.
Seems like your over sensitive to some of the Vanilla type flavorings, (or maybe you have to adjust the amounts way down).
And of course under sensitive to the Strawberry flavors.
Our taste buds must be wired differently.

Sounds like the simpler 2-3 flavor recipes work better for you.
Have you tried any of the various Yogurt flavors yet?
They are more like the Cream types at least.

Every time I've tried more than 3 drops of sweetener, or stevia, the sweetness would overpower everything else.
Might have something to do with being a diabetic tho.

Yes, even the Vanillas such as Classic, Holy, etc are a bit off-putting as well, though I can eat vanilla ice cream all day.

When it comes to Strawberry, I am finding less is more. I did find some Stevia powder. I'll get some mixing done this week, hopefully, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Do you find regular sugar to be powerful when eating it?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do you find regular sugar to be powerful when eating it?

I generally avoid using sugar, honey, or syrup on anything.

Many things like most cake frostings, jelly doughnuts, etc., are sickening sweet now.

Custard filled doughnuts are good but the chocolate frosting is a bit much sometimes.

Still love the Cinnamon Rolls & Monkey Bread although I've got to be careful not to go crazy.

Never messed around with the stevia powder as the liquid is just easier to work with IMO.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I generally avoid using sugar, honey, or syrup on anything.

Many things like most cake frostings, jelly doughnuts, etc., are sickening sweet now.

Custard filled doughnuts are good but the chocolate frosting is a bit much sometimes.

Still love the Cinnamon Rolls & Monkey Bread although I've got to be careful not to go crazy.

Never messed around with the stevia powder as the liquid is just easier to work with IMO.

At least you've got Cinnamon Rolls...the greatest invention since the wheel. I love sweet stuff, but I don't eat much of it. You know, I haven't had a soda since 1983.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone tried kens strawberry banana custard? I made it, let it steep the recommended month and I get zero strawberry flavor from it

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
here ya go buddy I know you dont have all these but Im going to send you some stuff later in the week :)

strawberry crunch

0.5% biszkopt INAWERA Flavours">INW
4% Cereal 27 (CAP)
0.25% Coconut (FA)
0.25% Marshmallow (FA)
0.5% Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA)
0.75% Strawberry Smash (Flavorah)

Flavor total: 6.25%

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
here ya go buddy I know you dont have all these but Im going to send you some stuff later in the week :)

strawberry crunch

4% Cereal 27 (CAP)
0.25% Coconut (FA)
0.25% Marshmallow (FA)

You're the man will! What the hell is biszkopt? Lol

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Or inawera biscuit
f7f1852c5c79388ea1a6504d435f43f1.jpg

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

strawberry crunch

4% Cereal 27 (CAP)
0.25% Coconut (FA)
0.25% Marshmallow (FA)

This looks amazing - can you describe it - is it a strawberry biscuit cereal?

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

strawberry crunch

4% Cereal 27 (CAP)
0.25% Coconut (FA)
0.25% Marshmallow (FA)

Your answer could be - just mix it up, you'll like it

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
This looks amazing - can you describe it - is it a strawberry biscuit cereal?
Your answer could be - just mix it up, you'll like it
haha thats the direction its going Im sure Ill end up revising this several times befrore Id call it a perfect recipe , just whipped it up cuz I know @Mykreign likes shisha strawberry. its a bit like a captian crunch berry kind of thing, pretty awesome shake and vape we'll see what happens tomorrow. I see a lot of people using shisha at much higher % so others might need more but for me its just fine the way i is. for me it starts getting a weird metal taste pretty fast if I ever used it to high,Ive never tried the flavorah before now and its pretty good but I noticed it does not dilute in water very well so its got me wondering whats up with it. was just checking out the msds on it now either way I like it lol

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I use a lot of the flavoring for the kids water bottles so I noticed this. You really have to shake the crap out of it to mix well you can see the beads on the bottom of the glass bottle
859f06e82b816b029ff4e88dc2234627.jpg

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I would like all strawberry flavors if I could taste the damn things! I just want a sweet strawberry eliquid that's refreshing. So tired of fruit + custard/cheesecake

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I think I would like all strawberry flavors if I could taste the damn things! I just want a sweet strawberry eliquid that's refreshing. So tired of fruit + custard/cheesecake

Im gonna make something you cant live without just give me a little time :p

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh and I've been messing around with cap sugar cookie and fa cookie for the last 2 weeks. Getting tired of that now too lol.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im gonna make something you cant live without just give me a little time :p

If that happens, I'll have to fly out and buy you a drink . That's saying something because I've never been on an airplane lol

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If that happens, I'll have to fly out and buy you a drink . That's saying something because I've never been on an airplane lol

lets just meet up in hawaii way more fun than New Mexico unless you like dodging bullets and stuff lol.... well I guess that kinda like Michigan hahaha you might feel at home. come on down :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
lets just meet up in hawaii way more fun than New Mexico unless you like dodging bullets and stuff lol.... well I guess that kinda like Michigan hahaha you might feel at home. come on down :)

You guys could come see me

I'm moving to the Big Island this fall!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You guys could come see me

I'm moving to the Big Island this fall!
heck ya :) I have a lot of friends in Mililani Oahu :) we very well may cross paths someday :D

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Lmao I'd be more afraid of the heat than the bullets.

I've been trying to fall asleep for an hour and 30 minutes now. Not going too well.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Lmao I'd be more afraid of the heat than the bullets.

I've been trying to fall asleep for an hour and 30 minutes now. Not going too well.

:drunk:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Not drunk lol. I did get white girl wasted last night though. Woke up at 11 this morning and then took a nap at 2pm. So I'm not surprised I can't fall asleep lol

I was making a recomendation hahaha but ya I can see why you're still up. monday work day is creeping up fast

VU Sponsors