Become a Patron!

Help picking out a Vape for my friend!

Hey everyone! so I'm just gonna dive right into it, I am personally a vaper for 2 years. right now I use a kangertech dripbox 160.
one of my friends is a smoker and has shown interest in quitting. but she's a bit picky and I know that if the vape I get her is not to her liking she'll just go back to smoking. i use 3 mg flavorless juice, she tried it and said it's "too weak".
I have a list of "requirements" that need to be met so I know she will stick to it. first off she's a 2 pack a day smoker so:
1- something with day-long battery life. Maybe 2 x 18650 or at least one swappable 18650 that she can swap mid day.
2- cost is gonna be a factor here. REGARDING COILS. she won't go for buying ready-to-use coils as they will be expensive. I'm personally gonna build coils for her. but anyway something that doesn't need you to keep buying coils for. I'll make coils for her myself and install it.
3- it's a girl we're talking about here so I'd really like it to be a pen shaped vape so she can toss into her purse. something aesthetically pleasing.
4- again if it's pen vape and if possible a bit girly that would be fantastic.
5- Preferably under $70, no more than $ 100
6- something she can just take out have a puff and put it back in her purse. so it should also not leak like RDA's and stuff.
I could also get a pen mod with replaceable 18650 and 510 connection and add an RTA on top (RTA's don't leak right?)

I know I know it's long list but that's why I couldn't find one myself :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Has she tried your dripbox or some other vape, to know if she wants DTL or MTL?
Seems most at least start with MTL.
For a cylindrical shape single battery mod, more batteries [and a charger] would be needed anyhow, so if she can stand a dual battery it would be less hassle throughout the day.
Could be a built in battery cylindrical shape, but what about when the charge runs out? Smoke while waiting? :blech:

Something with adjustable wattage.

Maybe a plan would be to get her something she likes, so she'll at least use it and start liking to vape, then move on to a setup that's longer lasting in the battery dept?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Do you have a vape shop close by? Maybe she can see and feel what she may like to use there?
I would want to pick out my own-
I think in the beginning something very simple and easy- I know you said no drop in coils- but maybe some Pod Mods to try 1st ? Or the Juul?
The pods and coils are not all that expensive for a beginning vaper to see if vaping is something she would like- then move to a better set-up with batteries and RTAs later and she would have a back up if you weren't there to trouble shoot her tank?
Nice of you to try and help her!

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
My wife has been using the Aspire pocket x for some time. Never leaks , coils last long , battery charge lasts all day and great flavor. I'd still suggest starting with the cig-a-likes first. These are the two which I recommend to anyone getting off cigs first. It was hard enough finding out what worked for me never mind someone else.

PS: Pocket x can be had at Eightvape for $15.95 or $30 at my B&M.

Hi,
Short and sweet. I started my vaping over 2 years ago with Aspire Pocketx; ended up buying 3 of them for random juice flavors...great units! They produced decent amount of vapor, hold a charge, don't leak, etc... I recently picked up a Renova Zero pod system, works great but low vapor output which is perfect for nic salt juice. My Zero is filled with 50 or 5% if you prefer. My wife who quit cigs 12 years ago and has been on nic gum since recently decided to quit gum (it's very expensive compared to vaping) I got her a Zero pod unit, filled it with 25 or 2.5% juice and she loves it... she is down to 2-3 pieces of nicorette gum a day.

Funny, vaping can even help a person quit nicotine gum!

The only pod units I've tried are the Juul and the Zero...seemed to work the same to me except the Zero is re-fillable and the Juul is not.

So for sheer convenience, I'd go a pod system. For pleasure I'd go Aspire Pocketx. My main vape is a mod with a Crown 2 tank running at .5ohms Love it!

Wonky Dave

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If theis is a quit smoking device I suggest starting small...and plan to try a few devices and tanks and coils before she gets it dialed in.... Vaping works... but not every setup, or juice works for every person. There are 100 plus brands of cigarettes for a REASON.

she tried mine but i use flavorless 3 mg ejuice so she was like... meh.
she also bought a tiny cute mod and tried it and was like this thing is too weak and after i told her the battery is not gonna last all day she basically tossed it aside.
I know her. She can handle a strong sturdy mod. and I'm by her side to help her out. She basically wants something that'l last all day (or at least the battery is replaceable) and is STRONG that's gonna replace her 2 pack a day habit.
And I'll rebuild her coil once a week until she learns to do it herself.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmmm...good luck. Pen styled dual 18650? Unless ur goin stacked...might be difficult..no premade coils for a beginner? Imo a bit dangerous...but thats just me. 3mg for a 2 pack a day will definitely be too weak for her..go higher. Will an rta leak? Of course it will...if not wicked correctly...for the budget...definitley feesable but some of the requirements are gonna cause her to hit a wall. Again...this just me...are you gonna be around for the wicking if she burns cotton? If not shell break and smoke...a nice falcon tank or similiar with a good dual box mod(regulated) where she can fill and go would be youre best bet..but again...This doesnt meet requisites...good luck. Curious to see what u get for her cause nothing better than an ex smoker

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone! so I'm just gonna dive right into it, I am personally a vaper for 2 years. right now I use a kangertech dripbox 160.
one of my friends is a smoker and has shown interest in quitting. but she's a bit picky and I know that if the vape I get her is not to her liking she'll just go back to smoking. i use 3 mg flavorless juice, she tried it and said it's "too weak".
I have a list of "requirements" that need to be met so I know she will stick to it. first off she's a 2 pack a day smoker so:
1- something with day-long battery life. Maybe 2 x 18650 or at least one swappable 18650 that she can swap mid day.
2- cost is gonna be a factor here. REGARDING COILS. she won't go for buying ready-to-use coils as they will be expensive. I'm personally gonna build coils for her. but anyway something that doesn't need you to keep buying coils for. I'll make coils for her myself and install it.
3- it's a girl we're talking about here so I'd really like it to be a pen shaped vape so she can toss into her purse. something aesthetically pleasing.
6- something she can just take out have a puff and put it back in her purse. so it should also not leak like RDA's and stuff.
I could also get a pen mod with replaceable 18650 and 510 connection and add an RTA on top (RTA's don't leak right?)

I really would not recommend an RTA if you don't have any experience with them with the expectations you have set - RTAs are a whole other animal compared to RSA (squonk) attie - the learning curve is much higher comparatively

Also, BX is quite correct - double 18650 pen does not exist, there are some stacked mechs that are NOT unsuitable for a beginner - plus expensive to boot

The slimmest SINGLE 18650 I know of are by eLeaf, but they are hard to find on the US market anymore; mainly the iStick and Aster (there is also an Aster AIO, don't get confused between the two) This is an AsterIMG_3763.JPG

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Price is the main factor..... I have a perfect set up in mind but it will be around $200 bucks........

With a price of $70 to $100 the stuff won't last long spinning around in a purse....

A little pico with a single 18650 or a single 26650 is a nice and tough little mod ...... But an RTA doesn't enjoy laying sideways and getting thrown around in a purse either....

A Subohm tank would be better for that.....but now you are talking about buying coils.....

Good luck with the search and hope she stays away from that smelly smoke and far away from the chance of getting Cancer..... And a slow death.

This could be of interest: VOOPOO GENE CHIP MOJO R 88W 2600 MAH TC STARTER KIT

9b278315c9b13924aae43aa5817a391c.jpg

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, unless you are planning on getting an external battery charger, I think it best to get an internal battery mod as I never recommend charging inside the mod. There are quite a few mods with good Lipo battery mods that would suit her well. I say this because if she is on the fence about vaping then this is honestly the easiest way to go for her. Also, if, and only if, you are going to be around to wick and rebuild coils for her, I could recommend the Berzerker 1.5. It's a great mtl tank, but you'll have to maintain it for her. This is pretty risky though with her being a brand new possible vaper. Do this with caution, be good luck. If she WOULD be willing to do a premade coil, I recommend the Innokin Ares tank. It is a premade coil tank, but perfect for a converting smoker.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
With a price of $70 to $100 the stuff won't last long spinning around in a purse....

I disagree with that - I have some inexpensive setups where the mods are over three years old that were dirt cheap and seen daily use all that time and stuffed and pulled out of a pocketbook all day long

Being able to do that with RTAs was a big learning curve though and took dedication on my part - under three years though I feel they will last that long

Depends on the manufacturer though, there is a lot of junk that can't handle sitting on a desk for three months, lol

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I disagree with that - I have some inexpensive setups where the mods are over three years old that were dirt cheap and seen daily use all that time and stuffed and pulled out of a pocketbook all day long

Being able to do that with RTAs was a big learning curve though and took dedication on my part - under three years though I feel they will last that long

Depends on the manufacturer though, there is a lot of junk that can't handle sitting on a desk for three months, lol
Yeah but he throws in he is looking for a dual battery set up and an RTA.... He's making the market also low for $70.00 to $100 bucks...

Getting a quality mod with two Sony VTC5 and an RTA and a charger for $70 to $100 bucks.... for a beginner

That's why I included that Voopoo set up for $50 bucks....

Just don't come in a thread to disagree with someone whithout adding a recommendation.... To help the person asking for help...

This is simply in my eyes acting like a troll......just to show the person doesn't know what he is saying and not even recommending a set up......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you have experience carrying a cheap mod in your purse :giggle:

I did make a recommendation earlier in the thread ;)
No but I was a manager of a retail store.... I had 10 cashiers and I was the only male....

They thought me things that they didn't tell anyone.....

And three of the girls were Vapers...... We bowled every Friday night and I saw how they Vaped and what they carry....

And all (3) had Pico with 26650 batteries and charged them battery in mod..... And melo tanks......

And they lived normal life's carrying shit around...

So am I familiar with mods in a purse and women that vape.....yes I'm qualified.....

I like purses too and high heels while I'm wearing a speedo........

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

You might want to poke around in this thread a little: What is the deal??

It's full of highly experienced females that vape with an eye towards female sensibilities - and most are bargain hunters ;)

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
"she tried mine but i use flavorless 3 mg ejuice so she was like... meh."

Why not have her try yours with a flavor juice to her liking at 6mg's. She may want your same setup.I'm sure she will use the juice anyways.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
A single 21700 device should last her through a work day. Single coil top fill rta should be leak proof and not drain the battery. Augvape Intake or Serpent Elevate are good. Also hear good things about the Kaees Solomon 2.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 128466 Maybe the Uwell Nunchaku mod. It’s a stick mod using 18650 battery. And a top airflow rta so it won’t leak. The Augvape Intake rta with a restricted draw. Or find out if she wants a mtl atty.
Actually, that's a great idea. I completely forgot about the Nunchaku kit. Would be a perfect setup

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
You might want to poke around in this thread a little: What is the deal??

It's full of highly experienced females that vape with an eye towards female sensibilities - and most are bargain hunters ;)

Yes a great thread for the type of gear we ladies like to use!
:vino:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I use a kangertech dripbox 160.
1. i use 3 mg flavorless juice, she tried it and said it's "too weak". she tried mine but i use flavorless 3 mg ejuice so she was like... meh 2. she also bought a tiny cute mod and tried it and was like this thing is too weak.
3. Maybe I can get her a strong pen mod with replaceable 18650 and then add an RTA on top. (do RTA's leak?)
1. I used 15mg nic MTL when I first started vaping. When I moved to sub ohm I only lowered it to 11-12, then gradually to 9. With rebuildables started with 9 and now use 6mg, and a lot of ppl use 3 like you. Just starting she's going to need more nic than 3mg. Try 9 with sub ohm or RTA. Remember, this "too weak" thing can also be fixed with the right pg/vg and nic to get more throat hit like a cig, even with MTL.
2. Sounds like she got an under powered MTL device, or pod. There are some pods that put out quite a bit of vapor. Take the Nuatilus AIO for example. There's several different BVC coils that will fit it. Adjustable airflow - and that matters a great deal. Easy to change coils (cheap) and fill. Small and seemingly purse friendly without the need of a pouch or something to put it in.
3. If your positive about her wanting DTL, like the RDA on your dripbox, then I think the best scenario is to get her an internal battery mod and sub ohm tank. This will get her vaping and she doesn't have to learn about external batteries and how to handle and be safe with them right now, or buy spare batteries and a charger. She can learn while vaping
A good 18650 has 3000Mah of run time. Eleaf Nowos and Voopoo Drag Mini both have 4400Mah and usb charging. Since you ask "(do RTA's leak?)", you can install and prep the coil, but the wicking would be a little learning curve for you as well. So if she gets the Nowos Kit or the Drag Mini Kit, both of which will take their brand as well as some other brand(s) of coils, she could easily change the coil when needed and keep on vaping. And still costs a hell of a lot less than 2pks a day. The Mini is slightly smaller than a pack of cigs so overall not much diff than a pack and a lighter, size wise. Can also get an RTA and run it on either mod. While she has something to vape you can teach her to build the RTA. She might decide to use one tank part of the day and the other the other parts.
The Drag Mini Kit costs less and you can get that and an RTA for that 100bill. The Nowos Kit is wattage only, costs a little more and might run over a little by adding the RTA, depends on the deal that can be found. If DTL I think it starts with sub ohm and factory coils, but like this could move to rebuildable right away if wanted. She might like just the sub ohm tank.
It's a journey. I'd be very surprised if that dripbox setup is the only one you have. Same will be for her when she gets into it so this first won't be the last. At some point it will become a second or a back up.

Good for you your willing to help her. I run across a lot of smokers that have never tried vaping or tried/failed because they didn't know what they were doing or don't know anyone/didn't have anyone to help them and lead the way.

-whew!-
edit: whatever she gets, make sure it has a fire button off feature for that purse.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for your help but I realized it's impossible to combine all my requests.
just tell me a pen shaped mod with replaceable battery and a 510 thread on top. I'll get the tank separately

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guys thanks for your help but I realized it's impossible to combine all my requests.
just tell me a pen shaped mod with replaceable battery and a 510 thread on top. I'll get the tank separately
The uwell Nunchaku or the Ehpro Pro mod 101. The Pro will fit up to 24/25mm atties & fit 18650, 20/21700 batteries. The Ehpro mod 101 fits 22mm atties & uses 18650 & 18350 batteries.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the Uwell Ironfist mod might be a good place to start. It uses dual 18650 and if you buy a couple good batteries it will last all day long. It's not a big mod at all. The best part is it's very simple. No frills. It can do pow, tc, etc, but there's no need. It goes up to 200W so it will definitely create enough vapor to give her a good hit. It can be found in some places for like $40-$60. Check it out.
upload_2019-1-8_12-0-25.png

They sell a kit that comes with the Crown 3 tank which most people absolutely love. The coils last around 3 - 4 weeks a piece. Yes they are prebuilt, but trust me, starting with an RDA and RTA will cause much more frustration than the savings will be worth. A pack of coils for the crown 3 is like 12.99 for 5 coils and that should last you around 3-5 months. It's worth it. Also you can find this in red, purple, blue, green (with a rainbow tank), etc etc.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If the OP is still looking, I use the nunckaku also. This reviewer is seldom impressed:

VU Sponsors