Become a Patron!

Help my ohms are sky rocketing

Device : Alien mod
Tank: Baby beast
RBA: Baby RBA
wire : kanthal 24 gage A1

Question; Why are my Ohms sky rocketing up to 3.0 ohms with only a tiny amount of wire

Story:
I purchased the baby RBA from smok.
i started to test the coils to see if there were no hot spots, at this point the ohms where 0.3
After a while of firing it and fiddling i could not get rid of the hot spots so i decided to remove the coil and put it back in and ever since that moment it jumped all the way up to 3.0 ohms.
I decided to remove the actual wires and replace it with a tiny one and a half inch wire
it wasn't wrapped or anything but it read up all the way to 3.0 ohms
Is my RBA faulty because of this?

PLEASE HELP

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Device : Alien mod
Tank: Baby beast
RBA: Baby RBA
wire : kanthal 24 gage A1

Question; Why are my Ohms sky rocketing up to 3.0 ohms with only a tiny amount of wire

Story:
I purchased the baby RBA from smok.
i started to test the coils to see if there were no hot spots, at this point the ohms where 0.3
After a while of firing it and fiddling i could not get rid of the hot spots so i decided to remove the coil and put it back in and ever since that moment it jumped all the way up to 3.0 ohms.
I decided to remove the actual wires and replace it with a tiny one and a half inch wire
it wasn't wrapped or anything but it read up all the way to 3.0 ohms
Is my RBA faulty because of this?

PLEASE HELP

Hi there I would say

1) get rid of that straight wire don't use that for any sort of testing and certainly don't try to heat it
2) sounds like lose legs to me in the post so check screws are tight on the coil...the Smok screws are crap it's easy to shank them with the Allen key provided
3) make sure RBA deck is screwed down fully Also before doing this push the positive pin up from the bottom it's get stuck sometimes so doesn't connect with the base properly
4) do all of this with the tank off the mod...now reattach tank to mod or ohm reader should be more stable now

Edit sorry one thing first I should have asked I assume you attached coils so that legs are

1st coil
1 leg in top post hole on left
1 leg in bottom post hole on right

2nd coil
1 leg is top post hole on right
1 leg on bottom post hole on left

It's ok to do this opposite as well

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU @ParaMontana!

I did an tutorial on this atty and RBA head for coils and wicking. This should help you.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-big-baby-beast-baby-beast-rba-wicking-technique.300259/

@KingPin! also gave you some good advice to look into. It really sounds like you have a loose connection at the coil / build deck stand-off screws. You could also be shorting out on the side wall of the RBA. Double check everything, make sure you have ample clearance from the coil and side wall of the RBA.

Here is a good starting out coil build for that RBA that will fit nicely.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.3&awg=24&id=3

Dual 24g KA1 7/6 wraps on 3mm ID jig.
Total resistance will be approx .3Ω (.6Ω p/coil)

VU Sponsors