Help me with calculation?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Guides, Tips & Tricks!' started by axl617, Jun 29, 2016.

1. axl617

axl617 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, this is something I'm asking because I'm very finicky about measurements. I should be able to do this but I haven't done chemistry in a few years so my mind is blank.

Say I have 30ml of 0mg nicotine and want to make it a 3mg solution. How much of 100mg/ml base nicotine would I need to add?

Please keep in mind, the nicotine base contributes to the total volume, so it will not be 30ml in the end. I know this isn't a major deal, but it's bugging me that I can't calculate it when I should be able to.

2. Neunerball

Neunerball Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    That's why we are using a juice calculator. There are several available. Personally, I like the one provided at http://e-liquid-recipes.com.

Hoggy and UncleRJ like this.
  3. Foggz

Foggz Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    and that will keep the volume at where you set it .. so not an issue there...

@Neunerball - haha.. I must be following along right behind ya today.. ;p

4. nightshard

nightshard It's VG/PG not PG/VG VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
  5. axl617

axl617 New Member

Blog Posts:
    That doesn't help because it assumes I know the final volume. In this case I have 30ml as it is, so anything I put inside will change the total volume

6. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The difference would be negligible, really.

UncleRJ likes this.
  7. axl617

axl617 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps, but I still want to know how to calculate it.

8. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Numbers plugged into a calculator say to add 0.9 ml f 100mg nic when making 30ml of unflavored. You could remove 0.9 ml the juice, add 3ml of nic

9. axl617

axl617 New Member

Blog Posts:
    3ml would make it 10mg liquid, that's way too high. I have thought about removing some, but this is a $35 bottle of 0nic liquid so that would be wasteful

10. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    You are correct. My calculator didn't save my changes, so I re-did the numbers. It's 0.9ml Big difference and my apologies.

axl617 likes this.
  11. axl617

axl617 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Whew got it sorted, if anyone ever needs to read this thread.

it's C1V1=C2V2, where

C1= 100mg/ml, V1 = x, C2 = 3mg/ml and V2 = x+30

So I need to add 0.92ml.

Yeah, not worth considering unless you're doing 1+L haha.

David Wolf likes this.
  12. Ericj24

Ericj24 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Im a little lost i have 24mg vg based nic i have 60ml 0mg juice how do i calculate to make it 3mg nic juice

13. BoomStick

BoomStick Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    7:1 or 7 parts 0mg to 1 part 24mg

14. Hoggy

Hoggy New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm always fascinated when people are always trying to figure out these things manually.. So stone age. :)

Since I don't want to trust the cloud to store all my bad recipes, and besides ELR is dog-slow - I use local machine calcs.

E-juice Me Up is great for beginners, however it gets quite limiting very quickly.

The one I now use is the amazing one in my sig (free, but donate if you like it and have the means to do so). By using it's features, namely in this case, it's "Modify Existing Recipe" - it will satisfy even the most anal-retentive mixer for precise adjustments.

That calc truly leaves all others behind in the dust, wondering where the heck they are, what happened, and why there are streaks of light going past them. ;) The only thing it's missing is the connectivity of discovering new recipes, which is why I still add flavors to my stash on ELR while populating the ingredient notes in Juice Calculator.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017