Become a Patron!

Help me build

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
What’s up guys,

I know these type of threads are probably annoying but I’m failing at these online build calculators and I’m wondering if someone can help me out.

I’m wanting to build coils at anywhere from .7 to .85 (just wanting to keep my dual coil setup no lower than .35ish)

Can someone tell me how many wraps, and what mm I would need to do using this wire

671B071D-39DE-4458-8AB9-E5E70843EAE1.jpeg A000D757-4B9D-451E-BBE7-3559C6E03D36.jpeg EA154440-20C1-4E73-BA93-72D19BE946C3.jpeg

Also,
is this how you count wraps? I think I’ve been doing it wrong lol

47A8E61E-FD87-4D5A-A6CE-ABF01FE0D423.jpeg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that wire is going to be too low resistance for you to comfortably hit your target. youll need like 14 wraps/coil. fyi, thats not 'alien' wire, its 3 core fused clapton, and 32 gauge wrap is not ideal for performance. try to find some with 36 or higher. it will be a much better vape. if you want to hit that target resistance, try 2 core fused claptons instead.

have a look at the steam engine thread for some help on using the online calculators, and counting wraps :cheers:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What’s up guys,

I know these type of threads are probably annoying but I’m failing at these online build calculators and I’m wondering if someone can help me out.

I’m wanting to build coils at anywhere from .7 to .85 (just wanting to keep my dual coil setup no lower than .35ish)

Can someone tell me how many wraps, and what mm I would need to do using this wire

View attachment 103666 View attachment 103667 View attachment 103668

Also,
is this how you count wraps? I think I’ve been doing it wrong lol

View attachment 103669

There are two ideas about wraps...I go with 6/5, or 5.5. like, 6 wraps on the outside, 5 wraps on the post side, I just go along with how Steam Engine describes it, makes sense to me. So the coil in your picture would be either 6/5 or 5 and a half wraps. Definitely not 4... But coil legs can be any length, so to me they shouldn't count as any wraps. If your coil is right up against the posts, your legs won't be long enough to count as half wraps... So I go with 5.5 wraps (or 6/5) with 2mm legs... Etc

I'll maybe do some screenshots on how to to set up Steam Engine coil building when I get on the computer tomorrow

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ok, here's my friend Steam Engine.
How to get there:
VU coil 1.jpg
What to do there:
1 Select your Wire Type, and for your 3 by 26 cores, "round, twisted/parallel" because your cores are parallel
2 Make sure twist pitch is 0 (parallel, no twist)
3 Set it to 3 strands
4 Select your gauge, 26
5 You could either set this to Single Coil and your Resistance to 0.70, or select Dual Coil and 0.35 resistance
6 What resistance you want
7 The ID of your coil in mm, you can click the little x/y box below "mm" to select inches if you use drill bits to wrap
8 How many wraps Steam Engine says you need to get the resistance you want - whoa that's a lot
9 Heat flux shows how much power your coil needs to get hot enough to vape - need at least 120 or so to get any steam, 200 for good thick clouds, again whoa that's a lot of power

VU coil 2.jpg

After this point, you can try changing things around, like the resistance, the wire gauge, the number of strands etc. I don't bother with the wrap wire because it usually doesn't effect resistance enough to matter, unless it's really heavy wrap wire like 30 gauge or lower (don't do that).

Hope this helps.

I plugged in 28 awg and 3.5mm diameter for 0.35 ohms and it says 9 wraps, that's still a rather lot...
30 guage cores (three of them) look like they'd be a good choice for 0.35 ohms
You could also find a series deck (with a neutral center post) and end up with 0.35 ohms that way, with 7 or 8 wraps each side with your 3x26 wire

VU Sponsors