Become a Patron!

Help , is what I want imposible?

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
Here is my situation. I bought a Kanger Tech Sub Mini Starter Kit because I think I read on Vapering UnderGround that with more watts I could get more flavor and a little more cloud.
I have been using the 1.5 ohm verticle coil but I would like to use the RBA it comes with but it is .5 ohm and I think that would be to hot a vape for me. My main thing is Flavor then cloud and I want to build my own coils. I have built the verticle coils for my Aspire Nautilus which is on a Smoke VW that only goes to 15 watts.
Can I use the RBA with what wire and ohm's ( coil ) and still have a cool vape with great flavor?
Is it true about watts and flavor? Oh I vape with mouth to lung and don't care for throat hit.
Thank You

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sure you could use 30-32 G Kanthal with a lot of wraps to achieve a lower ohm. Check out Steam-engine.com . If you like a cool mouth to lung hit, I would recommend staying with the 1.5 coils or look into getting something like the Nautilus Mini or something similar as the subtanks were designed for hotter, sub ohm vaping. I've not really built on the RTA they send, I didn't like it much personally. But you may be able to find a build that suits your needs with it.

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
I'm sure you could use 30-32 G Kanthal with a lot of wraps to achieve a lower ohm. Check out Steam-engine.com . If you like a cool mouth to lung hit, I would recommend staying with the 1.5 coils or look into getting something like the Nautilus Mini or something similar as the subtanks were designed for hotter, sub ohm vaping. I've not really built on the RTA they send, I didn't like it much personally. But you may be able to find a build that suits your needs with it.
I guess I worded that poorly , that is what I want to build is a coil for the RBA that came with it that would be as cool as the verticle 1.5 ohm but didn't have any idea about wire size and number of wraps. What about a Clapton coil? Is that right that more watts gives more flavor?
Thank You for answering!

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, Claptons would be way too big for that RTA. I would trust Zamazam's advice, I'm not really experienced with smaller builds, I like the sub ohm builds and have only been doing them for about two months now. Gotten pretty good at basic dual/parallel builds! But yeah, I think Zamazam is pointing you in the right direction.

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
No to clapton. Use 28 gauge, 7-8 wraps around a 3mm diameter mandrel.
I will try that , should that be about 1.5 ohms? Oh and I keep saying RBA and others are saying RTA , is there a difference? The instructions say RBA , and does more power equal more flavor?
Thank You

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RBA = Rebuildable Atomizer which is the rebuildable deck for your sub tank.
RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer
RDA = Rebuildable Dripping atomizer

RBA is interchangeable and used for either an RTA or RDA.

As far as power vs. flavor. Sub Ohm builds on drippers to me have a lot more flavor. With a lower ohm build you need more power to get a warm vape. With thicker wire and more surface area you get more vape which helps to produce more flavor.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No to clapton. Use 28 gauge, 7-8 wraps around a 3mm diameter mandrel.

I've wrapped clapton coils for the Subtank RBA and can confirm that it isn't a good fit. It can technically work if you're careful, but it really restricts the airflow. It's a thick wire and you have to put the coil very low or it touches the top piece of the chamber and shorts out.

Twisted 28 gauge wire, on the other hand, works beautifully on a Subtank RBA as long as you use a 2.5mm rod. I make 8/9 wraps and end up with right around 1.4ohm. I've been using it for a couple months and it blows normal wire away. Lower ohm builds with 28 gauge twisted wire also work very well. I never twist my own, just buy the UD wire.

Tried a few variants and have settled on a 28 gauge kangel, single coil, 11 wraps at 2.5 mm.
Comes out at approx. 2 ohms.
Running at 18 watts. Flavour is stunning..

Remember this...
No matter what coils you build it will all come down to the wicking..
Your ability to wick will make or break any build..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jamul

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a .75 ohm Clapton build on sub tank mini rba +, and also a 1 ohm on second deck. Totally possible both have great flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_20150901_085939.jpg
    IMG_20150901_085939.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 22

Jamul

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Currently using 1 ohm Clapton for slightly cooler vape.

Attachments

• IMG_20150901_091019.jpg
    IMG_20150901_091019.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 19

Jamul

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The surface area is greater with my 1 ohm vs my .75, so in my head I think I get same amount of vapor at a lower wattage with cooler vapor. But it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The surface area is greater with my 1 ohm vs my .75, so in my head I think I get same amount of vapor at a lower wattage with cooler vapor. But it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Exactly my point. The amount of power being applied, the amount of metal in the coil, etc, are some of those other factors. What you just said sounds right and involves more than simply the coils resistance. If you crank the power on the higher ohm coil, you could easily cause it to produce more heat than the lower ohm coil. Resistance alone means nothing.

Last edited:

arrowcrest

Member For 4 Years
Terminology. Your rebuildable deck with the tank is a RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer). 7.24 wraps will get you 1.5 Ohms.

use this calc going forward: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=1.5&awg=28&id=3&ll=2
Thank You very much for clearing that up and the referral site
I've wrapped clapton coils for the Subtank RBA and can confirm that it isn't a good fit. It can technically work if you're careful, but it really restricts the airflow. It's a thick wire and you have to put the coil very low or it touches the top piece of the chamber and shorts out.

Twisted 28 gauge wire, on the other hand, works beautifully on a Subtank RBA as long as you use a 2.5mm rod. I make 8/9 wraps and end up with right around 1.4ohm. I've been using it for a couple months and it blows normal wire away. Lower ohm builds with 28 gauge twisted wire also work very well. I never twist my own, just buy the UD wire.
Thanks for that tip. What watts do you vape at and is it a cool vape?

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank You very much for clearing that up and the referral site

Thanks for that tip. What watts do you vape at and is it a cool vape?

Glad to help. I usually vape a Subtank between 14-18 watts depending on the build and juice. I always prefer a cool vape. The Subtank never gives me quite as cool or as comfortable a vape as my Lemo tanks (not the drop or the V2, the originals). Kanger makes an excellent tank, but it's more prone to heat and spit back than some tanks. Still, at 13-15 watts it's pretty cool. I don't use a metal drip tip on any of my tanks and that helps a lot.

fwtechwiz

Member For 4 Years
I use either double twisted 28 ga, Kanthal, 5 wraps around a 2mm mandrel gets me close to .7 ohms. or three 32 ga. Kanthal twisted, same number of wraps and 2mm still is around .7 ohms --gives me a little more flavor. Usually I vape at around 18 to 20 watts.

VU Sponsors