Become a Patron!

Help! I have trouble setting coils in RDAs

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys. I've been vaping for about 2 years, and dripping for about 6 months. I've been building my own coils for close to 2 years now, starting with evods and kanger pro tank coils, all the way to rdas and rbas(rtas).

When it comes to building coils for kayfuns, or other RTAs, I have no trouble at all.

My problem comes from setting the coils in drippers, especially when building dual coils. For some reason , I can't seem to install the coils without issues. Every time I try to put the coil in, and then tighten the screws to keep the coils in place, it seems that the coils themselves become altered. I have trouble putting the coils into place without the coils becoming slightly deformed.

In most cases, I just make sure I'm extremely careful, and usually the coils only become slightly deformed....for instance the last wrap becomes slightly warped or bent, and I can usually fix it. However, this has become a pain, as I'm a perfectionist.

I see a lot of people posting their builds, and they look perfect. How do you guys install the coils without the coils themselves moving out of place? Or becoming warped?

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried installing the coils while they are still on the drill bit or whatever you made them on?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Leave them on the whatever it is that you wind them on. Also, most of the coils you see here are 22g and 24g which tend to hold their shape quite well.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always bend a lead before installing a coil to center it. Leave the coil on whatever you used to wrap it while you tighten down the post screws. If they angle themselves during that process then just readjust them with the the item you wrapped it with. I'm pretty anal about builds being perfect in certain attys so they match the airflow of the top cap, and this method is simple and precise.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As the guys mentioned already. However, I like to use those mini screw drivers, as seen in the beginning of the following video, for building my coils, or at least to mount them on the RDA. In addition, I like to pull a bit after I tightened the screws, and maybe push it to it's center position. FYI, this guy has some other build tutorials too.

Last edited:

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried installing the coils while they are still on the drill bit or whatever you made them on?

Yes, that is what I do. Only just a few days ago did I try installing them WITHOUT the drill bits, for the first time. The reason was because I tried holding the ends together with pliers instead. Wasn't any better

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Leave them on the whatever it is that you wind them on. Also, most of the coils you see here are 22g and 24g which tend to hold their shape quite well.

Yea, maybe I should order some 24g. I know each time I've dropped gauge, like from 30g to 28g, then from 28g to 26g, it has gotten progressively EASIER to wrap and set the coils, because the thicker wire is less springy, and more likely to stay in place.

The reason I haven't made the jump to 24g yet is because although I subohm, I generally vape anywhere from 0.5 to 1 ohm, not below that

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea, maybe I should order some 24g. I know each time I've dropped gauge, like from 30g to 28g, then from 28g to 26g, it has gotten progressively EASIER to wrap and set the coils, because the thicker wire is less springy, and more likely to stay in place.

The reason I haven't made the jump to 24g yet is because although I subohm, I generally vape anywhere from 0.5 to 1 ohm, not below that

This was my progression as well. Aside from ribbon wire, I only use 26-20g now a days, nothing smaller. I don't have an application for higher gauge wire, its too springy even with a torch, its too easy to bend... it's just head ache after head ache for me. I build 1.5ohm coils for my rtas, and get there with 15 wraps of 26g around my smallest precision screwdriver.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My hands don't really like coils. Big hands, had pretty bad carpel tunnel and surgery for it a year and a half ago.
I can remember as far back as elementary school my hands cramping when trying to hold a pencil to do any type of writing for a period of time.

I usually have an RDA on my OHM reader or *turned off* sigelei when doing mounting coils so it's stable.
Usually will hold the coils over the RDA and look at it from above and the sides to see how the legs need to be bent to make it fit properly.
Then, I usually use needle point tweezers and whatever I made the coil on (screwdriver / rod from coil jig) to get the coils into place.
Then it's a matter of poking, prodding, and holding them in place with the tweezers in one hand and a screwdriver in the other hand to tighten the screws.

Them getting slightly messed up in the process isn't too big an issue. Heating them to red hot (without cotton of course) and squeezing them or shoving a screwdriver in them helps to get them back into shape and position. Sometimes takes putting a screw driver threw them and loosening the screws to adjust the legs to even them up.

Something to try if you want dual coils, is to use an RDA that has 2 positive post holes instead of just 1. It's a heck of a lot easier.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
use an RDA that has 2 positive post holes instead of just 1. It's a heck of a lot easier.

Especially when using thicker wire. Lest you find yourself wrapping the positive lead from that second coil around the post screw because you have no room left. Oh Igo-w's, how I'm so glad I payed you forward.

VU Sponsors