Become a Patron!

Help Deciding Series vs Parallel (Box Mod)

Hello Guys, here is my first post on the forums!

First let me introduce myself. My name is Matthew and I live in southern california. I have much more experience with building mods than actually vaping them, but I am looking into building a mod for myself.

I have built several parallel builds in hammond boxes, all with MOSFET protection and resettable fuses. I am proficient in mod safety and ohms law calculations, and I have done a fair share of coil builds.

Recently, I undertook my biggest build yet which was a dual 26650 mod in series, which is capable (but not recommended) of running in excess of 350w.
20160310_075145_zpshr5hz3xe.jpg

6633_zps8ktdvobp.jpg

6396_zpsacjrowi8.jpg

Now after completing this build, I have ordered a second batch of parts but I need to decide whether to build this one in series or parallel.

First off, series will yield more power and is easier to build... However, this means that it is much harder to build coils that have a high enough resistance yet large enough surface area to control the raw power that comes from two 22650s in series... This usually means that I need more wraps for higher resistance but then the coils no longer fit inside the deck. I don't want to burn my throat, warm vape at the most.

Alternately, a parallel build is harder to actually construct, but it is much easier to build for as resistances can be 4 times lower with the same results.

What do you guys suggest? I like the idea of a series mod but if it is too hard to build for I will build in parallel.

If you guys can point out any simple coil builds that work for series boxes, PLEASE share so I can make it work!

Thanks
-Matthew

check out CloudingOut Studios for the latest reviews of product and accessories

Are you really spamming your own promotion on other people's threads?

Disgusting, someone ban this fool...

Back to the topic at hand, would flattened kanthal make higher resitance coils without sacrificing surface area or size?

Thanks, questions in OP still stand...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Are you really spamming your own promotion on other people's threads?

Disgusting, someone ban this fool...

Back to the topic at hand, would flattened kanthal make higher resitance coils without sacrificing surface area or size?

Thanks, questions in OP still stand...
Hes already gone...along with his promotional posts...

If the size of the wire doesnt change the resistance will not either, the only thing that changes the resistance is the amount of metal from one point to another. You can flatten out the wire and keep the same resistance as the normal build while creating more surface area...if that answers your question.

My main question is are there any coil builds that each individual coil is around 1 ohm (so two will yield ~0.5 ohm) that still has good surface area (and isnt just a standard, premade coil)

Thanks
-Matt

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@KRNAZNBOY to answer your question for a simple series build, 24g Kanthal A1 works for me because of its higher resistance vs other wire types. Dual coil 10-12 wrap 3-3.5mm, whatever your RDA can handle, is generally pretty good.

I have a pretty tame .54ohm dual coil 10 wrap 3.5mm build in a RDA on my noisy cricket right now, and its pretty good for a super easy series build, doesn't take a super long time to heat up, and the amp draw isn't bad, like 15A. Should fit in any modern cloud-type RDA. Basically around .5 ohm is a good place to start with Kanthal for a warm vape on a series box.

--
edit, nvm, you ninja'd me, haha. Other than a basic microcoil, then next easiest series build would be a fused clapton probably, for me at least. 28x2/36gA1 10wraps 3mm bit dual coils were around .5ohm IIRC.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My main question is are there any coil builds that each individual coil is around 1 ohm (so two will yield ~0.5 ohm) that still has good surface area (and isnt just a standard, premade coil)

Thanks
-Matt
Yes. You can make all kinds of coils with a high surface area, claptons, aliens, caterpillars, and so forth.

@thunderdan Thanks for the info, will look into it!!

Yes. You can make all kinds of coils with a high surface area, claptons, aliens, caterpillars, and so forth.
Yes but most of those will yield very low ohm coils which will cause very high amp draw and wattage in a series box... Not trying to burn my throat, thanks though!!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not really, depends on the wire you use and how you wrap it.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I would build Claptons, myself. And a parallel box.

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Really there's not a whole lot of difference in difficulty in building between series or a parallel for the mod itself. For coils, there are plenty of builds with larger surface areas that aren't terribly difficult to make. If you're worried about deck size and clearance for coils, try one of the larger RDA's like a Zephyr Buddha v2. It's a larger base than the normal and plenty of clearance on the sides as well as large post holes to accommodate the larger wire builds. That will let you get more wraps with your fused claptons and alien wire builds that have a larger surface area.

VU Sponsors