Become a Patron!

Hello, another newbie

I have only been vaping around 12 months and I am a little bewildered and ripe for being conned by unscrupulous sales people so I plead for some honest advise or even a 'you prat, it can't be done!'

My entry came in the form of an Aspire Pock Ex, which was soon replaced with a Voopoo Drag 3 on the recommendation of a friend. With the Aspire, I needed bellows on my neck to get a hit - ex-smoker of roll ups and associated substances for 35+ years - I was told by the sales person that 'it's foolproof and simple'. Or was that the tattoo on my forehead?

Anyway, the Voopoo has opened up a whole new world of 'woofers and tweeters; slimline salad-dressing...etc' - Not the Nine O'Clock News for those old enough to remember it!

The nitty gritty then: I use 20mg nicotine, pre mixed salts in TPP tank with 1.2 ohm coils. It was working ok but I was getting leaky residue as I like to burn at around 10-15 watts so I can have a looooong 5-6 second draw. I also like the bottom vent almost fully open.

Recently, I visited my 'friendly, local Evolution Vaping Store' for some supplies, help and advise. After much bluff and bluster, I became the 'proud?' owner of two different tanks and differently rated coils. I should have mentioned that I have been using 1.2 Ohm coils pretty successfully up until this point in TPP tanks.
However, my style of vaping is better suited to a higher impedance but the coils aren't available - apparently - in 1.6 Ohms for TPP tanks, hence the new tanks and coils.
Well, it certainly stopped the 'leaky residue', in fact it stopped full stop. After 1 day with the advised set up, it was like vaping a bonfire, much coughing - even at 8 watts, and a full 36 hours and dead coil. I returned to the shop to be told 'coils can burnout in 1 day sometimes' blah, blah, blah.

So, short of headbutting the shopkeeper and lecturing him on unwarranted and inaccurate guidance, all I really want want is some independent advise/guidance on the best set up for my vape and the way I like to use it for a satisfying nicotine and vapour hit. Or if it's not possible, that's ok too.

I try to use low sugar liquids to preserve coils, but still need my N I C O T I N E!!
I eagerly await a response.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just for clarification, are you still after a tight mtl draw?

Uhm. I seem to be a bit of a problem. The Pockex seems to tight, ie not much introduced air, whereas when I use the Drag 3, I prefer the TPP tank with fully opened air vent. I suppose this is an 'open draw?' I draw deeply into the mouth - I don't get the DTL method - but then inhale again as if I am smoking a fag. The man at Evolution Vaping had to get me to demonstrate my 'style', so perhaps he was unsure what I was after.

I hope this helps you.

I've continued a self-exploration of possibilities, and the C1 ceramic (1.2 ohm) PnP coils seem like a viable option, however, when compatibility is mentioned, the Drag 3 is not include. Is this just because it a new-ish model? I have both PnP tanks and TPP. It seems that the C1 with PnP tanks is a good option in other Drag models like Drag X; Vinci - but not Drag 3

Oooh, and just to thicken the plot, I have been steered towards the 'CBD oil route' to mitigate the use of cough, cough, bud. I have some 600mg e-liquid but won't use it in the drag 3 until I am sure it won't cause undue harm to my new baby. What set up could you recommend for this other product.
I'm sorry if I am asking a lot, but I really am thick lol

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hiya Simbob. Welcome to VU
Have a look at the rules. Not many and pretty easy.
https://vapingunderground.com/#cbd-delta8-thcv-hemp.929
Here’s the section where CBD discussion is allowed.

Tattoo'ed most likely. Which is mostly the case with B&M advice. They can't sell you what they don't have. And their worldly vaping knowledge is usually pretty narrow if not limited to "in house" only. IMO best advice comes from here and know what you want to buy before going to a B&M/e-tailer.
I use 20mg nicotine, pre mixed salts in TPP tank with 1.2 ohm coils. It was working ok but I was getting leaky residue as I like to burn at around 10-15 watts so I can have a looooong 5-6 second draw. I also like the bottom vent almost fully open.
Was 'working ok". Why just ok? Only because of the leaking? Everything else about the vape was great? If so then maybe the leak issue can be resolved or get an diff tank that will take then same coils - have the same air flow.?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not exactly sure if you inferred that you thought they were, but PnP coils and TPP coils are not interchangeable. If you've been using a TPP coil at 1.2 ohms, you'll get more flavor out of it if you do restrict the airflow a bit. If it were me, I would probably vape those coils at about 20-22 watts with air at about halfway open, but 20mg is a little high for chain vaping at that wattage. If you want to vape a lot, you should lower your nic to no more than 12 to 18mg. I know you say you need your nic, but it's going to be easy to overdo it.

Voopoo makes a tank that is very similar to the one that came with your Drag 3, that uses PnP coils. You can use the PnP tank in the TPP base if you want to, that way you could use the PnP coils in the Drag 3.

When I vaped MTL, my "technique" was exactly like yours - I'd always hit twice, sometimes exhaling the first draw through my nose as I was taking the second draw, so I think I understand what you're describing. On some MTL devices, to get a decent amount of vapor, you just about have to do that.

I can't say anything about CBD, because I've never used it. If it's based in oil, I wouldn't vape that at all.

Also you didn't mention the PG/VG content of the liquid you're using. I think that may be the cause of the coil burning, if you're using anything near max VG, which is approximately 15% PG and 85% VG. With airflow wide open and very thick liquid, when you inhale, the mix of air and liquid is all wrong. Also the above-ohm coils have smaller liquid ports than the sub-ohm coils, so it is more difficult for thick juice to keep the cotton saturated, when it's competing with so much air. I think you'll be better off all around if you restrict that air some, and if you're not there already, head more toward an even mix of PG and VG, 50/50 or 40/60.

Getting it right requires fiddling with it until air, juice, heat, and liquid (and the strength of your draw) are all in balance. You just have to be willing to experiment a little with all those parameters.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Get a rebuildable and be done w/it.
Super simple. Make it whatever Ω you want, whenever you want.
Save tons of money.
No picking a tank then finding a compatible coil or vs versa.

Save tons of money.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think for me to 'get a rebuildable' one may a bit of a stretch both practically - I'm thick - and also I am a man of little means ie skint. Is it easy/cheap to do this? Do I need a degree in engineering and/or physics? I think I get the whole watts+ volts x amps theory, but applying it to my smoking/vaping habits seems a bit abstract.
I guess I'll be visiting VU and reading the various posts/conundrums a lot more to get an understanding of the terminology and possibilities.

I'm not exactly sure if you inferred that you thought they were, but PnP coils and TPP coils are not interchangeable. If you've been using a TPP coil at 1.2 ohms, you'll get more flavor out of it if you do restrict the airflow a bit. If it were me, I would probably vape those coils at about 20-22 watts with air at about halfway open, but 20mg is a little high for chain vaping at that wattage. If you want to vape a lot, you should lower your nic to no more than 12 to 18mg. I know you say you need your nic, but it's going to be easy to overdo it.

Voopoo makes a tank that is very similar to the one that came with your Drag 3, that uses PnP coils. You can use the PnP tank in the TPP base if you want to, that way you could use the PnP coils in the Drag 3.

When I vaped MTL, my "technique" was exactly like yours - I'd always hit twice, sometimes exhaling the first draw through my nose as I was taking the second draw, so I think I understand what you're describing. On some MTL devices, to get a decent amount of vapor, you just about have to do that.

I can't say anything about CBD, because I've never used it. If it's based in oil, I wouldn't vape that at all.

Also you didn't mention the PG/VG content of the liquid you're using. I think that may be the cause of the coil burning, if you're using anything near max VG, which is approximately 15% PG and 85% VG. With airflow wide open and very thick liquid, when you inhale, the mix of air and liquid is all wrong. Also the above-ohm coils have smaller liquid ports than the sub-ohm coils, so it is more difficult for thick juice to keep the cotton saturated, when it's competing with so much air. I think you'll be better off all around if you restrict that air some, and if you're not there already, head more toward an even mix of PG and VG, 50/50 or 40/60.

Getting it right requires fiddling with it until air, juice, heat, and liquid (and the strength of your draw) are all in balance. You just have to be willing to experiment a little with all those parameters.
Firstly, thank you for your response. Early on I got a little info. and I WAS using 70/30 - in favour of VG - in the Aspire, now I am using 50/50 salts, @ 20mg/ml premixed - small 10 ml bottles - in the Drag 3. I really am a novice and only really know what I have been told or have read. It seems mostly conflicting.
I have the Drag 3 set in 'Smart Mode' because the instructions with the device are in such small print, it might as well be in Russian!
Notwithstanding, I am keen to learn and experiment at a budget. I guess every one wants this kind of approach/outcome, but it may not be feasible.
The long and short of it is that I want to get a long, satisfying draw without coughing up my guts, good flavour, and plenty of nicotine. If this is possible I am open to try anything within my means.
When I close the air vent a little, with the current set up (10watts; 20mg nic; 1.2 ohm coil; TPP tank) on the Drag 3, it's not very satisfying. PnP tank; 1.6 ohm coil; same juice, it is rubbish and tastes burnt.
Would ceramic coils improve both flavour and allow for a satisying, long draw? If so, can the C1, 1.2 ohm coils fit into the PnP tanks for the Drag 3?
I'm happy with how the TPP arrangement mentioned above works, but it creates moisture/leakage in the top of the pod probably due to innefficient vapourisation at low wattage. I can live with that if there is no other solution. I just wondered if there was something I was missing/doing wrong.
I really am at the early phase of understanding, but I feel that I will get advise without an agenda on a forum like this, so I will keep trying.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Firstly, thank you for your response. Early on I got a little info. and I WAS using 70/30 - in favour of VG - in the Aspire, now I am using 50/50 salts, @ 20mg/ml premixed - small 10 ml bottles - in the Drag 3. I really am a novice and only really know what I have been told or have read. It seems mostly conflicting.
I have the Drag 3 set in 'Smart Mode' because the instructions with the device are in such small print, it might as well be in Russian!
Notwithstanding, I am keen to learn and experiment at a budget. I guess every one wants this kind of approach/outcome, but it may not be feasible.
The long and short of it is that I want to get a long, satisfying draw without coughing up my guts, good flavour, and plenty of nicotine. If this is possible I am open to try anything within my means.
When I close the air vent a little, with the current set up (10watts; 20mg nic; 1.2 ohm coil; TPP tank) on the Drag 3, it's not very satisfying. PnP tank; 1.6 ohm coil; same juice, it is rubbish and tastes burnt.
Would ceramic coils improve both flavour and allow for a satisying, long draw? If so, can the C1, 1.2 ohm coils fit into the PnP tanks for the Drag 3?
I'm happy with how the TPP arrangement mentioned above works, but it creates moisture/leakage in the top of the pod probably due to innefficient vapourisation at low wattage. I can live with that if there is no other solution. I just wondered if there was something I was missing/doing wrong.
I really am at the early phase of understanding, but I feel that I will get advise without an agenda on a forum like this, so I will keep trying.

Ok, I might be losing my mind, but I went looking for 1.2 ohm TPP coils to see what the wattage recommendation is, and I could not find them. Every style of TPP coil I find is under 0.4 ohms.

Voopoo's blurbs in various places about the TPP coils state that the TPP series is sub-ohm. So I don't know what to say.

It appears to me that the C1 ceramic PnP coil could be used in a PnP tank, which could then be used on the Drag 3 either by screwing the entire PnP tank plus its base into the Drag 3, or by replacing just the TPP tank part with a PnP tank part in the TPP base. I have not used these C1 coils myself, but am going off what I have read in various places.

With ceramic coils, you have to be super careful to let them sit and soak up liquid for plenty of time before you put any heat to them at all. With a new coil, if you can allow a half hour for the coil to prime, you'll be a lot less likely to end up with burning. Those coils are rated at 10-15 watts. 50/50 liquid should be fine with them.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Is it easy/cheap to do this? I think I get the whole watts+ volts x amps theory
Yes easy. Cost would depend on the RTA, where you are, and where you get it from. RTA/wick/wire - 50US? You'll need to know what to get, why, and a couple whatfores, but we can tell you that stuff and then you'll know.

If you can wrap a wire around a drill bit/screwdriver/similar, and screw the ends down, then your 1/2 way there. The rest is pulsing a little power through it and then some wick (cotton). As far as power for the regulated Drag 3, with mtl type (low) wattage your probably good to go with whatever batteries your using. (just tell us what they are).

You can also get coils already wrapped and it still cost less than coil heads.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Save tons of money.

Echoing my twin's advice also suggesting an RDA instead of an RTA. You can find decent MTL RDAs for reasonable cost. IMHO, tanks always ran into "issues". No real issues with RDAs. Watch for dead shorts, keep them clean, do your pulsing and get them firing even. TIFWIW.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice thread (and lots of good advice) You have many choices (and yes... should have seeked out advice from forums like this) You can get a few mods/kits (that means it comes with the tank) and it's good to have options (like many mods can use almost any tank) but I have a "pod mod" that I love (I actually won it in a contest) It is the Innokin Kroma Z... uses all the Z coils (there are many to choose from and still popular) Get a couple extra pods (keep in mind this isn't some wimpy little pod device... it's a very well made device) It comes with two coils: 0.8 and 0.3 ohm (The 0.8 are MTL and have good flavor... but I actually like the 0.3 now... super good and more airflow) Anyway, It's a good way to try both and the pods are easy to swap (strong magnets) This has a built in battery (very good capacity) type C charging (USB) OK... what can I say? Got this for free and love it.
Then... do some homework (we are here to help) and a good mod and tank (there are still a few deals out there) and the... consider building (RDA, RTA, ect) Too soon for that. Get comfortable with vaping first
And of course... find a good juice you like.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually... I do agree to get a simple RDA to learn on (plain round wire coil at first) It also helps you understand how a vape device works.

Yep, agree there. Strip away all the bells and whistles. You get left with a circuit, the coil being the gap wire. Push the button on the mod to close the circuit (power flows) and the coil heats. Let off the button and the circuit opens (power does not flow) letting the coil cool off.

Last edited:
Ok, I might be losing my mind, but I went looking for 1.2 ohm TPP coils to see what the wattage recommendation is, and I could not find them. Every style of TPP coil I find is under 0.4 ohms.

Voopoo's blurbs in various places about the TPP coils state that the TPP series is sub-ohm. So I don't know what to say.

It appears to me that the C1 ceramic PnP coil could be used in a PnP tank, which could then be used on the Drag 3 either by screwing the entire PnP tank plus its base into the Drag 3, or by replacing just the TPP tank part with a PnP tank part in the TPP base. I have not used these C1 coils myself, but am going off what I have read in various places.

With ceramic coils, you have to be super careful to let them sit and soak up liquid for plenty of time before you put any heat to them at all. With a new coil, if you can allow a half hour for the coil to prime, you'll be a lot less likely to end up with burning. Those coils are rated at 10-15 watts. 50/50 liquid should be fine with them.
Thank you for your hard work in answering my query. I have PnP tanks for the mod so I may give it a go .

Thanks again

Yes easy. Cost would depend on the RTA, where you are, and where you get it from. RTA/wick/wire - 50US? You'll need to know what to get, why, and a couple whatfores, but we can tell you that stuff and then you'll know.

If you can wrap a wire around a drill bit/screwdriver/similar, and screw the ends down, then your 1/2 way there. The rest is pulsing a little power through it and then some wick (cotton). As far as power for the regulated Drag 3, with mtl type (low) wattage your probably good to go with whatever batteries your using. (just tell us what they are).

You can also get coils already wrapped and it still cost less than coil heads.
Thanks for your input. I reckon I'll be doing some experimenting and more questioning.
Thank you for taking the time to explain.
I feel I am embarking on something that I will enjoy experimenting with.

Thanks again

Echoing my twin's advice also suggesting an RDA instead of an RTA. You can find decent MTL RDAs for reasonable cost. IMHO, tanks always ran into "issues". No real issues with RDAs. Watch for dead shorts, keep them clean, do your pulsing and get them firing even. TIFWIW.
Thank you for your recommendations. Firstly, I will need a 'Vaper's Dictionary' to get what all the terms mean eg RDA; RTA etc.. but I feel less daunted, moving towards excited.

Thanks

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think for me to 'get a rebuildable' one may a bit of a stretch both practically - I'm thick - and also I am a man of little means ie skint. Is it easy/cheap to do this? Do I need a degree in engineering and/or physics? I think I get the whole watts+ volts x amps theory, but applying it to my smoking/vaping habits seems a bit abstract.
I guess I'll be visiting VU and reading the various posts/conundrums a lot more to get an understanding of the terminology and possibilities.
hi buddy, its a good site and i found that nadalama is worth listening to.;)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer It doesn't have a tank, you keep the coils and wicks wet by dripping juice directly on the coils and wicks. These are easier for new builders to get started making coils. You just have to remember to keep dripping so you don't get a dry hit from hell.

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer Similar to the tanks you're using now except you make the coils and wicks. A little bit harder for someone new to building, but cheaper in the long run by not needing to keep buying pre-made coil assemblies.

Resistance wire is inexpensive compared to pre-made coils. I would suggest using Kanthal wire to start since it appears you prefer higher ohm Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) vaping similar to drawing on a cigarette.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Simbob, If you live in the US https://wireoptim.com is having a 25% off sale all week on their whole site and their wire is pretty good. Head to VUs Builders Corner sub-forum for tips on getting started on building your own coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Resistance wire is inexpensive compared to pre-made coils. I would suggest using Kanthal wire to start since it appears you prefer higher ohm Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) vaping similar to drawing on a cigarette.

@gopher_byrd is correct in the definitions of RDA & RTA.

Suggest the kanthal wire start out with as well. It will let you get a "feel" for building and how coils are used. Kanthal is very "forgiving" for those new to building. NiChrome & SSL316 L (Stainless Steel 316 eLite) are not as much so.

And yeah, kick out doubt and anxiety. It's all pretty much straight forward, unless you go getting obsessive over trigonometric equations to solve environmental factors to create "clodz brah, clodz brah!" :giggle::p:D:)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There are some glossaries and term lists out there. Some good info, and a lot that is unneeded at least for now, if ever.

An RDA would be a good choice for the first one. No tank w/juice in it to deal with if you want to get at the deck(the base where the coil/wick are). With RDA just pull the cap off and everything it right there.
They are good if carrying juice around is not a prob, or like - at home.
Good because while your zeroing in on the resistance (Ω) you want, it's easier to rebuild it. Once you figure that out get an RTA if you want juice capacity or use the RDA with squonker.
You dont have to quonk w/a squonk mod. Can be used with non-squonk atomizers. https://vaping360.com/best-vape-mods/squonk-mods/#:~:text=A squonk mod is a,tank section for your atomizer.
IMO, first you'll need to figure out the type of airflow you want so you can start your search for an atty(atomizer) based on that..
DL
RDL
MTL
Each type can vary on AF(air flow) within its specific range. From wide open almost breathing through it to like a very tight cigarette. Some, seemingly more prevalent w/MTL attys, have airflow inserts so you can choose the type of MTL draw you want - from loose MTL to tight.
when I use the Drag 3, I prefer the TPP tank with fully opened air vent. I suppose this is an 'open draw?'
Open draw would refer to the amount of air passing through the atomizer(DL). Not the position of the adjustment.

This kit is what you bought and w/this TPP tank?

If so, then I don't believe this tank is capable of MTL > trying to pull the vaper into your mouth first, then inhaling, like you say you do. The atty dictates the vaping style, not the coil. Once the atty is determined, we can choose within a range of resistance but not any resistance.
Maybe this is why @nadalama didn't find coils under 0.4Ω ?

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I forgot to mention... Aspire PockeX was my first vape device (was a good choice at the time) Got me down from a pack a day to 5 cigs very quickly.

VU Sponsors