Become a Patron!

Heat shrink tubing rewrap?

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had to try and convince a co worker not to use batteries with torn and or no wrapper, he's not a vaper, he's using motorized camera mounts. He insists on not wasting the batteries he split up from a bundle What does everyone think about using heat shrink tubing to rewrap? I think it doesn't sound half bad, it'll curl up around the insulator and hold it in place. Hey I'm trying. And btw they're 18650's!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Proper battery wraps are probably cheaper to buy and work on the same principle of using heat to shrink it.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rewrapping any batteries with a damaged wrapper is a MUST! I get my wraps from Fasttech, but they are available many places.

I hear you mention removing batteries from bundles. These batteries MUST NOT be used for vaping as they are not designed for the kind of current draw vaping requires.

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rewrapping any batteries with a damaged wrapper is a MUST! I get my wraps from Fasttech, but they are available many places.

I hear you mention removing batteries from bundles. These batteries MUST NOT be used for vaping as they are not designed for the kind of current draw vaping requires.
He's not a vaper they are camera mounts

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Saw this thread, I have a 26650 that needs rewrapping, gotta look in to where to get that size and instructions on how to do it, I heard it was very easy.

I got mine from http://battwrap.com -- dirt cheap, like 10 cents per wrapper. Just take the old wrapper off, slide the battery into the new wrapper, and turn a blowdryer on it for 10-15 seconds -- easy-peasy.

I did find that the wrapper fits better if I trim off about a qtr-inch of the length, but YMMV.

Andria

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Saw this thread, I have a 26650 that needs rewrapping, gotta look in to where to get that size and instructions on how to do it, I heard it was very easy.

Its really easy!!!! @SirRichardRear has a great video to watch if you're looking for a tutorial, maybe he'll pop by and link you up. I know fasttech carries proper size tubing for 26650s and most of the trusted battery vendors have them available, just check whichever site you usually order from and see whats available. Not a bad idea to order extra insulator rings at the same time just in case you encounter a damaged one while rewrapping.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I had to try and convince a co worker not to use batteries with torn and or no wrapper, he's not a vaper, he's using motorized camera mounts. He insists on not wasting the batteries he split up from a bundle What does everyone think about using heat shrink tubing to rewrap? I think it doesn't sound half bad, it'll curl up around the insulator and hold it in place. Hey I'm trying. And btw they're 18650's!
you can buy the wraps really cheap. fat daddy vapes sells 100 for like 5 bucks and they are nice and thick and cut to size already. rewrapping is a breeze

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Proper battery wraps are probably cheaper to buy and work on the same principle of using heat to shrink it.
The problem will be getting him to wait just a day or so. We'll see how it goes. All I can do is try.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The problem will be getting him to wait just a day or so. We'll see how it goes. All I can do is try.

Any chance there is a local B&M vape shop that you can go and pick some up for the guy? The most Ive ever paid for a proper sleeve is 20 cents tax in. If he wont listen then at least you've tried. Best of luck!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the positive end is the most important in any case but I suppose heatshrink would work .. its just not the proper cover none the less...Good luck with it.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine from http://battwrap.com -- dirt cheap, like 10 cents per wrapper. Just take the old wrapper off, slide the battery into the new wrapper, and turn a blowdryer on it for 10-15 seconds -- easy-peasy.

I did find that the wrapper fits better if I trim off about a qtr-inch of the length, but YMMV.

Andria
Its really easy!!!! @SirRichardRear has a great video to watch if you're looking for a tutorial, maybe he'll pop by and link you up. I know fasttech carries proper size tubing for 26650s and most of the trusted battery vendors have them available, just check whichever site you usually order from and see whats available. Not a bad idea to order extra insulator rings at the same time just in case you encounter a damaged one while rewrapping.
you can buy the wraps really cheap. fat daddy vapes sells 100 for like 5 bucks and they are nice and thick and cut to size already. rewrapping is a breeze
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!<3<3<3

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
He insists on not wasting the batteries he split up from a bundle

That flags me this is someone who is taking apart used battery packs from lap tops or power tools and reusing them for other than their intended purposes. Which means he may be using mystery batteries with unknown amp limits and charging requirements. Wrapping them is good, but not using them to begin with is probably the better idea.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just that the tubing is available In the shop
Try some.......battery wraps are just heat shrink tubing precut to proper length.....in pretty colors. the stuff you have in shop might different material. Probably softer. Could be better could be worse.. I would try 1. If it seem more likely to tear, You know you need wraps if it works you safe a few pennies.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That flags me this is someone who is taking apart used battery packs from lap tops or power tools and reusing them for other than their intended purposes. Which means he may be using mystery batteries with unknown amp limits and charging requirements. Wrapping them is good, but not using them to begin with is probably the better idea.
It's his face teeth and if it goes in a pants pocket, his cue balls.

Freewill and Darwins Law!

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat shrink tubing that is typically used to insulate electrical connections probably will not work or be ideal. The problem will be in the 'recovered wall thickness', which is the tubing wall thickness after it has been shrunk by heat. Tubing for insulating connections will have a recovered wall thickness that can be a couple mm thick, or even much more. If the wall thickness is 2mm, it would add 4mm to the overall diameter of the cell, making an 18mm diameter cell end up at 22mm. Probably wouldn't fit in most battery holders. As stated above, it will also be too soft (with most heat shrink) to be durable. The ready-made battery shrink tubing is very thin and has a harder, slicker texture.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Still gonna be too thick no matter what....Most of te heat shrink I use is gonna add way too much battery diameter for the holders... vape or camera.

VU Sponsors