Become a Patron!

Headache--need advice

This may be a long post, but I will try to include all the relevant information.

I started vaping around 8 months ago, and everything was going well for about 3 months. I tried many different setups, and I didn't have any problems for about 1 1/2 months in: started with a Suorin air using halo tribecca nic salts--tried some regular juice 5mg in a Innokin Zenith kit. After 1 1/2 months, I settled on the Mi pod with some different juice (it was 70/30 ratio as I was having some mild headaches and read where the VG might help).

After this, I started having major headaches--I upped my water intake to a much larger degree but this didn't help. I feel like I wasn't vaping a lot compare to the amount of nicotine I normally took in while using Copenhagen. I had to stop vaping for about 30 hours and the headaches totally went away. I haven't vaped since then except for using some friends vape pens while out, and one time they did give me a mild headache...I haven't switched back and went back to using Copenhagen.

I'm thinking of switching back to vaping as I really don't want to use tobacco, and I know this will make it much easier to stop permanently without going cold turkey.

My question is would the higher VG cause this, or the mod switch that I had...I really just want some info as the headaches were really debilitating. I went to my primary care doc and had a full checkup (MRI and everything)--everything checked out normal, and no headaches since I stopped vaping.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Maybe try a 3mg in one device and 0mg in another? How high was the mg in nic salt juice? I would also try a flavorless juice just to eliminate the flavors being the cause.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i would start 0 nic and see if your issue returns. then try the same juice at 3mg using the same device setup... that said you might even try flavorless to reduce possible flavor sensitivity issues PG/VG nic if you get headaches with zero with flavor then try a flavorless if the headaches go away then add nic into the flavorless if they come back you have a possible answer. to much nic will give headaches and dizziness

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first switched to vaping I would get nic headaches form cigalikes with 18 mg nic if I was not careful.
And I was going from 1.5 PAD full strength cigs to cigalikes.
Smoking nic and vaping nic act differently it seems.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the past most of the talk about allergies and such was for PG sensitivity, but I hear more now about VG sensitivity as well. I've been vaping 75-80% VG mixes for like years with no problems, but I can't do more than 25% PG. Everyone is different.

A lot of pre-made juice is terribly over-sweetened and often 30/70 VG/PG because PG carries flavor better and has more 'throat' hit...and they can use less flavoring and make more profit.
I cant vape that stuff.

Some flavor cause issues too. I can't vape pineapple flavors just like I can't eat raw pineapple...get all prickly and sore if I do. Do you have any known allergies?

Process of Elimination:
I would try vaping just a puff or two of straight VG and see if it affects ya badly...no nic no flavors. If so, well then you know. You can buy a bottle of Humco USP pure VG at about any Wal-Mart for around $4. Also useful for diluting a juice that has too much nic or too much PG.

Like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Humco-Glycerin-USP-An-Emollient-Demulcent-6-fl-oz/386100309

I wouldn't suggest trying PG straight however, just a bad idea and would taste nasty.
As you say, you've been mixing nic salts and IDK what else..give ya body a break. ;)

I do wonder if the juice folks are using proper USP Vegetable Glycerin? :huh:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's an old but hopefully helpful posting on Nic overdosing: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/signs-of-nicotine-overdose.185/

I started back in the 'dark ages' where gear was far less powerful for the most part, and normal nic in a vape was like 18-24mg. Now, you can't hardly buy that high a ratio of nic in juice.

I DIY my own juice at 14mg, but I don't vape high wattages as is the norm nowadays. 20-40W is my usual range, mostly in TC.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, it’s definitely not the nic level...I just got 25 mg nic salt with a mi pod...I hit it twice, and my face started tingling. Now I’ll just wait for that to go away and then try 100% vg as suggested. If that doesn’t cause anything, then I may try a flavorless juice and see if it’s the flavors.

Thanks guys/gals for all the advice...makes me think I’m not really crazy

Iv3shf

Member For 4 Years
Looking at it, from my point of view it's the Nic salts, headache is a typical issue with them and not only, unfortunately.. dizziness, nausea or stomach ache, nervousness higher blood pressure to name a few, try straight nicotine not salts.
The other issue might be, as everybody else said PG, a bit complicated road, but have to go full VG, find some juice makers and buy those, but you'll be safer and cheaper if you start diy'ing, full of recipes and lots of people that had the same issues ready to give you some good advice.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Looking at it, from my point of view it's the Nic salts, headache is a typical issue with them and not only, unfortunately.. dizziness, nausea or stomach ache, nervousness higher blood pressure to name a few, try straight nicotine not salts.
The other issue might be, as everybody else said PG, a bit complicated road, but have to go full VG, find some juice makers and buy those, but you'll be safer and cheaper if you start diy'ing, full of recipes and lots of people that had the same issues ready to give you some good advice.
Headache from too much nic has nothing to do with salts in particular. Too much nic is simply too much nic.

VU Sponsors