Become a Patron!

Having trouble with first RDA, Help!

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forums here and have been vaping about a month. I am using a kamry k100 mod but I ditched the batteries it came with after hearing some really bad reviews, and got a nice efest 18650 30 amp and it's working great. I got a mephisto V2 clone from my local vape shop the other day. I have no idea how to build coils, so the shop sold me some pre-wrapped ones and put it on for me. Its working fine, other than the fact that there are points where I can barely handle the vapor it pushes. I'm only dripping 6mg nic down from 18mg before using an RDA dripper, and I dont believe it's the nic causing the problems. I have tried two different 6mg nic e juices of different brands and the result is the same. The vapor is too hot, and feels very harsh at times. The flavor is there, but the experience can get pretty un-pleasent quickly. I have heard from some people that the prebuilt coils are absolute junk, and I'm figuring thats why the vaping experience hasn't been very good. So any advice? Try building my own coil instead? I have no variable voltage on the mod so I cant turn anything up or down. I've included some pictures if they help any advice would be appreciated, thanks! IMG_0068.JPGIMG_0071.JPG

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Go to your vape shop and try dripping some 3mg. The coils look fine (not stellar) but fine. Any idea what resistance they are?
Most people can not handle 6mg in a dripper (I am one of the few in my group that drips 6) and the resistance is a factor when it comes to how hot your vape is. Find those two things out, and then we can work it from there.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depending on the wire I can see some issues.
NiChrome will heat faster and run hotter.
Vg maxed or very heavy vg.
Wicking do not tuck under, you want more air under the coil, line up holes.

Well theres the thing, I don't have an ohm reader and my local shop isn't getting them in for another week or so. I truly dont think the strength of the nicotine is the problem, because the throat hit isn't even all that strong, it's more just the vapor thats a little too intense if that makes sense. My buddy told me he would bring his ohm reader friday to class to check it, so I guess I wont know for sure till then.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depending on the juice I can see some not really doing well in a dripper.
BUT without the ohm to see if there is a short use at your own risk IMHO.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As BigNasty suggested. .5ohm in nickel wire will burn much hotter than the same resistance in Kanthal. So find out the type of wire....resistance, VG/PG ratio of the juice. Regardless of how long you have been vaping....this will always be a part of the formula.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Did you check for hot spots before you wicked it? That WILL make it unpleasant.

What I am assuming is that it is either much too low ohm's for my personal taste and I have no why to tell, or the wire is a different material and is making it too hot. I am pretty sure the juice is not an issue because the kind I am using I dripped in my buddies atty and it was amazing, and the flavor is still good in mine just too intense. I'll have to try building a coil friday when I have access to an ohm reader

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This seems to be a reoccurring theme, vape shops setting up a new vaper with sub-ohm coils and sending them away as if they should know what to do with them.

VU Sponsors