Become a Patron!

Have patience, but need a little input

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Today I just mixed my first three samples, ever, for taste. I made three 10ml of 30PG/70VG. Each is a single ingredient TFA flavor, 1 Red Type, 1 M Type, and 1 Gingerbread cookie. I mixed each at 5% after reading that TFA flavors were super concentrated and should start at 1%, but reading recipes mostly in the 5% range.

Now, I know it's only been a couple of hours and it is mixed with high VG, so I shouldn't get much flavor right off the bat. But, I tried the Gingerbread cookie and it's near on tasteless.

So here's where I need input regarding the 1% starting point and the 5% recipe range... Should I even bother wasting time with mixing any flavors at 1% initially? Also, do TFA flavors vary enough to warrant starting under 5%? I have a bunch of flavors that I want to mix as single flavor, no nicotine, samples so that I can get used to them before I start mixing them into recipes. So, I'd really not want to mix 3 dozen samples only to find that every one needs to be redone.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, there really isn't a recommended percentage across the board. Some of them do require different amounts, as low as 0.5% up to 10% for some people. With those, I've never used them, so I don't have a clue on the ones you tried. There are flavor charts floating around somewhere that might give you an average of what a lot of people preferred. I used to have one saved, but can't find it. I'll keep looking, or someone will post one.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tobacco and bakery flavors always need a couple weeks steep time, most fruits are shake and vape. I use mainly FA flavorings but the few TFA flavorings I have used usally need at least 5% some a little more IMO

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'll tell you what I do when starting a new single flavor and I'm shooting in the dark so to speak:

If I'm going to be trying to vape it right away, start flavoring at 20%. I keep a good supply of premixed base on hand, so it is very easy to cut the juice with base it the flavor is too much.

Remember, many flavors will grow in intensity with time, which is why so many recipes call for steeping.

Sometimes a flavor that is good at 20% or whatever when freshly made, will require cutting after it is several weeks old.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You guys are awesome.

Thanks for that link Huckleberried. Judging from the flavors listed and the aroma I'm getting from the samples alone, it seems to be spot on.

Yeah, I expected as much Jimi, but the flavor is barely there at all with the Gingerbread Cookie. Going by Huckleberried's link, this seems to be one of those that needs a little more. Good to know, though, that different flavor types take longer or shorter, thanks for that. I'm not a big fruity guy, so looks like I'll be spending some time just... waiting.

Thanks for the tip Lucy. I just started, so I don't have all of the gear I think I'll need yet. I do, however, have some 120ml twist cap bottles coming to make the PG/VG a bit easier. I can't seem to find luer lock blunt tips larger than 14ga, so those were the first thing I ordered after trying to suck up VG into a syringe. I'll be filling them with 20/80 so most flavors should end up around 70VG or better.

Speaking of luer locks... the larger the gauge, the smaller the needle, correct? So 12 or 10ga would be better for working with VG, right?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For starting percentages I always use the high end from one of the compiled lists like this one; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agXdua8bEp8MV4z1mn3qX4AXCS4P0RxQXcy2lDa7ccc/pub?gid=7

There is another easier list but I can't link it as the site is down for maintenance. Another list can be found halfway down the this reddit page, for TFA's ; https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/1ivjog/mega_tfa_tpa_recipe_thread/

Gingerbread Cookie 8-10%. I'd use 10% as I like the higher %'s. Let sit for a week or two.

You don't have to use a needle on the syringes, especially for VG. I've been mixing for a couple years and never used a needle, blunt tip or otherwise, and I have boxes of them. VG sucks up fine in a syringe without a needle.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys. I already have the scale in my cart. Mixing only 3 10ml samples, cleaning between each, I quickly realized that this method was going to be way too much of a PITA for me. The first batch with the scale, I'll tare and note the weights by ml and then just work on weight thereafter.

Oh, FWIW, I needed the needle to get at the VG. I don't have all I need yet, including transfer bottles for the VG gallon. I suppose I could have used a smaller syringe...

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I'd really not want to mix 3 dozen samples only to find that every one needs to be redone.

Are you using some sort of program to calculate your flavor amounts/volume? Are you measuring these amounts by drops from the flavor bottle? Are you giving the flavor bottles an intense shake before dispensing?

Sometimes these can be the root of low flavor.

Ron
---
"Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy."- Lao Tzu

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, shaking them, very vigorously. I have a pretty deep background as a marine aquarium hobbyist, where drop-wise is pretty widely understood to be a HUGE no-no in terms of altering chemistry. So, no, I wouldn't even consider doing anything drop-wise, way to imprecise, especially for small batches.

edit

I should add that I have since tested the tobacco flavors and both are pretty close to correct. The Red type, so far, could probably use just a tiny bit less flavor, maybe 4.5% instead of 5%. The M Type really needs to mellow, it's too perfume-y right now, but, barring steeping changes, I think it's okay at 5%.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Open or closed? From the perfume-y fragrance I'm inclined to open it up and let it breath.

Closed. But I've never gone as high as 5%. Letting it sit open might help if it's too strong and "perfume-y" indicates it may be too strong.

I think you'll need to drop your %. Either do a new one or if wasting is an issue at the moment you could double the volume of pg/vg and nic to halve the 5% to 2.5%.

VU Sponsors