Become a Patron!

Harsh DIY

UDAWG

Member For 4 Years
I'm fairly new to DIY mixing. Every time I go over about 12% flavoring, my juice is very harsh. I can't taste the flavor on a lot of the juices if I go any lower the 12%. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

All juices are Max VG at 2mg nicotine.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How long did you smoke?
When did you quit?
What brand of flavors are you using?
What flavors are you working with?

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
first, what flavoring are you using and where did your nic and VG come from. I assume that your only using 3 ingredients. flavoring, Nic and VG?

UDAWG

Member For 4 Years
How long did you smoke?
When did you quit?
What brand of flavors are you using?
What flavors are you working with?
Oddly enough, I never smoked cigarettes. I started smoking hookah while overseas a few years ago but didn't like the headache from the tobacco, so I started vaping. I use a mix of different brands (capella, TFA, hangsen, and FA are the main ones). I use a lot of custards, fruits and cream base flavors.

UDAWG

Member For 4 Years
first, what flavoring are you using and where did your nic and VG come from. I assume that your only using 3 ingredients. flavoring, Nic and VG?
Yes, those are the only 3 ingredients that I am using. I use a mix of different brands (capella, TFA, hangsen, and FA are the main ones). I use a lot of custards, fruits and cream base flavors. Nic and VG came from wizard labs. VG based nic.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
some flavors need to "steep" and I've found that most FA fruit flavors are about a 10% mix, meaning if your making a 10ml bottle use about 1ml of extract. let one of your bottles steep for a few days in a cool, dark place and see if that changes things.

UDAWG

Member For 4 Years
some flavors need to "steep" and I've found that most FA fruit flavors are about a 10% mix, meaning if your making a 10ml bottle use about 1ml of extract. let one of your bottles steep for a few days in a cool, dark place and see if that changes things.
I've tried steeping. I have a couple bottles that have been steeping for over 2 months and are still harsh. If i remember correctly; here are the numbers on 1 of them:
Ripe strawberry (TFA) 11%
Coconut (FA) 1.5%
Watermelon (FA) 3%

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I've tried steeping. I have a couple bottles that have been steeping for over 2 months and are still harsh. If i remember correctly; here are the numbers on 1 of them:
Ripe strawberry (TFA) 11%
Coconut (FA) 1.5%
Watermelon (FA) 3%

Choose one that's especially harsh tasting. Make an identical batch with no nic. Shake and vape, see if your WL nic is causing the problem.
Is there a bookmaker in the house? lol

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Many here won't approve, but I almost always use some smooth or vape wiz. That will almost certainly help. I certainly do agree however that you should eliminate the nic as the culprit first. Heartland nic had me thinking I was a bigger fool than I actually am. VT helped a lot.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had problems with harshness for two reasons:
1) because my flavoring had gone off - it was a key lime, and it had just spoiled, probably from being too warm for too long, and
2) because my set up wasn't wicking properly--I had either rewicked a kanger coil with the wrong amount of cotton or it had something to do with the air pressure changing, which it does constantly where I live. It took me a while to figure out that it was a wicking issue because I wasn't exactly getting what I think of as "dry hits"--they still had a fair amount of flavor, but they were just these sucky, throat burning hits.

if it's happening across all the juices, it probably isn't #1, but it might be #2.

UDAWG

Member For 4 Years
Choose one that's especially harsh tasting. Make an identical batch with no nic. Shake and vape, see if your WL nic is causing the problem.
Is there a bookmaker in the house? lol
The WL mic was definitely the problem. I made a batch with no nic and it was fine. I also pulled out a batch that I made a few months ago with VT nic and it was fine also. I've ordered some more VT. Thanks for the advise.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
The WL mic was definitely the problem. I made a batch with no nic and it was fine. I also pulled out a batch that I made a few months ago with VT nic and it was fine also. I've ordered some more VT. Thanks for the advise.

I'm glad you found the problem! Great nic can often solve that one.

VU Sponsors