Become a Patron!

Had to introduce myself today

Hi all. 40+ year smoker. Tried 'thousands' of times to quit. Gave up trying about 8 years ago. After a 13 day hospital stay for pneumonia, within 2 hours of discharge, I staggered to my car and went and bought a pack of cigarettes. Found ecigs last year. Quit completely in one week. Haven't smoked since. Have lost 55 pounds, work out 6 days a week and am in better shape at 61 than I was at 30.Currently I have moved through cigalikes and Ego's and am now happy with ISticks (2 and counting), a Clouper Mini on order and plans to order an IStick 30 w, when they are available., I use Aspire ET-S Glassomizers, and Aspire K1's. I also started DIY a month and a half ago. Still a lot to learn, but haven't blended anything unvapable yet. Been a member for a little bit, but have been quiet, trying to learn.
Now to today. I'll be 62 in a couple of weeks. I applied for Social Security. They requested some additional information from me so I went in to the local office, this morning. After waiting in line for about 40 minutes, I finally arrived at the security desk. I went to place the necessary items in the tray, keys, wallet, Kindle, IPhone, IStick (turned off of course). The Security Guard took one look at the IStick, and said loudly, 'Get that out of here. You can't bring that in here'. I looked my pile, and asked, 'What can't I bring in here'? He pointed at the IStick. I said "its an ecig, just a battery". "Those are not allowed". I had looked at the doors, walls, everywhere I could think of, and had not seen anything posted. I did see the NO GUNS, NO KNIVES, NO POT (I'm in Colorado, after all). I asked if that policy was posted anywhere. He said "Take it out if here". So, I took it to my car. Came back in, went back to the security Desk. He took one look at me and told me to get to the back of the line. The line was just as long as when I arrived, about 20 people out the front door. I left. Now, I am a pretty polite guy. Worked my entire life in the not-for-profit sector and in Government. Worked in Senor Housing, etc., so I know how to work with many different types of people. I was not rude, and I don't look like a nefarious type or someone looking for trouble. This was my first time being treated in this manner, and I was really suprised, and a bit embarrassed. He did this in front of about a hundred people. Should I have been? Is this how vapers/vapors should expect to be treated? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're a better man than me. I would have made a scene. I would have told him if he doesn't want me to bring it in, I'd gladly let him hold it for me until I came back out.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Those that don't allow vaping, are the same ones that don't know what vaping is. I have learned that any time I'm going into a government building I only bring two forms of ID and nothing elce.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am sorry to hear about this. That just sucks. I would have been embarrassed too! The only experience I can relate to is going through security at an airport. I have done this many times and never had a problem. I would have thought that a federal building would have been the same.

Those that don't allow vaping, are the same ones that don't know what vaping is. I have learned that any time I'm going into a government building I only bring two forms of ID and nothing elce.
Thanks. I learned the hard way. Maybe others can now avoid it happening to them.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So if you had a pack of cigarettes on you, would the reaction have been the same?

I am sorry to hear about this. That just sucks. I would have been embarrassed too! The only experience I can relate to is going through security at an airport. I have done this many times and never had a problem. I would have thought that a federal building would have been the same.
Last time through an airport, The security person was asking me about vaping, wanted to give it a try. I really didn't expect the problem today

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I quit flying several years ago because I was ALWAYS the person they randomly searched. They do and they admit to profiling, and I have long hair and beard so I was the one that got searched, even on connecting flights getting off one plane and trying to get on a connecting flight, they were searching me. I enjoy driving any way and my current girl friend works for Hertz, she gets a big discount and usually the amount we save on gas covers the cost of the rental.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, welcome to the Underground!

And I am really sorry to hear that the rent-a cop gave you such a hard time. I have taken my devices through security at many different places including the court house, TSA and even milityary bases without issue.

Thank the Lord that you did not have one of the mods that rather closely resemble a hand grenade!

But you really should call in and report that jerk. At the minimum he should have let you go to the front of the line!

First of all, welcome to the Underground!

And I am really sorry to hear that the rent-a cop gave you such a hard time. I have taken my devices through security at many different places including the court house, TSA and even milityary bases without issue.

Thank the Lord that you did not have one of the mods that rather closely resemble a hand grenade!

But you really should call in and report that jerk. At the minimum he should have let you go to the front of the line!

Thanks. I will follow-up with this, but when I called back to handle my main issue, it took 20 minutes to get a live person's voicemail. It's their building, their rules. No problem. Just post it next to the NO GUNS, NO KNIVES, NO POT sign. And don't be an ass. I assume if I had a lighter and analogs, I'd have gone right through. Thanks, BTW. Glad to be here.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I quit flying several years ago because I was ALWAYS the person they randomly searched. They do and they admit to profiling, and I have long hair and beard so I was the one that got searched, even on connecting flights getting off one plane and trying to get on a connecting flight, they were searching me. I enjoy driving any way and my current girl friend works for Hertz, she gets a big discount and usually the amount we save on gas covers the cost of the rental.

I was ALWAYS the person they randomly searched.

Hate when that happens .

they admit to profiling, and I have long hair and beard so I was the one that got searched,

They admit it , your kidding . Usually they search the ones that do not fit the profile , i think it's called "political correctness" . Never been a fan of political correctness .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi all. 40+ year smoker. Tried 'thousands' of times to quit. Gave up trying about 8 years ago. After a 13 day hospital stay for pneumonia, within 2 hours of discharge, I staggered to my car and went and bought a pack of cigarettes. Found ecigs last year. Quit completely in one week. Haven't smoked since. Have lost 55 pounds, work out 6 days a week and am in better shape at 61 than I was at 30.Currently I have moved through cigalikes and Ego's and am now happy with ISticks (2 and counting), a Clouper Mini on order and plans to order an IStick 30 w, when they are available., I use Aspire ET-S Glassomizers, and Aspire K1's. I also started DIY a month and a half ago. Still a lot to learn, but haven't blended anything unvapable yet. Been a member for a little bit, but have been quiet, trying to learn.
Now to today. I'll be 62 in a couple of weeks. I applied for Social Security. They requested some additional information from me so I went in to the local office, this morning. After waiting in line for about 40 minutes, I finally arrived at the security desk. I went to place the necessary items in the tray, keys, wallet, Kindle, IPhone, IStick (turned off of course). The Security Guard took one look at the IStick, and said loudly, 'Get that out of here. You can't bring that in here'. I looked my pile, and asked, 'What can't I bring in here'? He pointed at the IStick. I said "its an ecig, just a battery". "Those are not allowed". I had looked at the doors, walls, everywhere I could think of, and had not seen anything posted. I did see the NO GUNS, NO KNIVES, NO POT (I'm in Colorado, after all). I asked if that policy was posted anywhere. He said "Take it out if here". So, I took it to my car. Came back in, went back to the security Desk. He took one look at me and told me to get to the back of the line. The line was just as long as when I arrived, about 20 people out the front door. I left. Now, I am a pretty polite guy. Worked my entire life in the not-for-profit sector and in Government. Worked in Senor Housing, etc., so I know how to work with many different types of people. I was not rude, and I don't look like a nefarious type or someone looking for trouble. This was my first time being treated in this manner, and I was really suprised, and a bit embarrassed. He did this in front of about a hundred people. Should I have been? Is this how vapers/vapors should expect to be treated? Your thoughts?

Sorry to see that happen Jaf , the only thing you did wrong is assume that security were bright enough to know that an Istick was a harmless modern vaping device .

Fact is many police still aren't sure what to make of these devices , i am convinced most people still are very much in the dark about vaping in general and that means we will have to take precautions when carrying and using them around the public .

Sounds like a place i would avoid at all costs anyway , i mean who wants to be associated with a place that has signs that say "NO GUNS, KNIVES OR POT" i mean c, mon how unreasonable can you get .

Sorry to see that happen Jaf , the only thing you did wrong is assume that security were bright enough to know that an Istick was a harmless modern vaping device .

Fact is many police still aren't sure what to make of these devices , i am convinced most people still are very much in the dark about vaping in general and that means we will have to take precautions when carrying and using them around the public .

Sounds like a place i would avoid at all costs anyway , i mean who wants to be associated with a place that has signs that say "NO GUNS, KNIVES OR POT" i mean c, mon how unreasonable can you get .

I vape mostly at home and in my car. Try to be thoughtful about it when out and about. Kind of forgot it was in my pocket. Don't vape around my grandson or my wife. Still vape at the back door. Wife hates them as much as analogs. I am not in your face about it at all.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I vape mostly at home and in my car. Try to be thoughtful about it when out and about. Kind of forgot it was in my pocket. Don't vape around my grandson or my wife. Still vape at the back door. Wife hates them as much as analogs. I am not in your face about it at all.

Thats very surprising to me , anytime something looks like smoke people view it similarly , thats the problem. If e cig's didn't blow vapor that resembles smoke they would be accepted in a hell of a lot more public places and by ,more people in general imo.

Your wife knows that what your using doesn't stink and yellow up the walls and ceilings i hope.

VU Sponsors